On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan forces kill 7 militants in northwest
- 20/12/2014 6 killed, 22 wounded in Baghdad attacks
- 20/12/2014 Five killed in central China house explosion
- 20/12/2014 UN asks Israel to pay Lebanon $850 M for oil spill
- 20/12/2014 Israel bombs Gaza militant base after rocket hits southern Israel
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan hangs 2 militants involved in attack on army headquarters
- 20/12/2014 Fifteen U.S.-led air strikes target Islamic State militants: task force
- 19/12/2014 Iran honors nuclear deal with powers, IAEA report shows
- 19/12/2014 Volcano erupts in eastern Indonesia
- 19/12/2014 US general says 3-year minimum needed for anti-ISIL fight
- 18/12/2014 Suicide car bomb kills 18 in Yemen's western port city
- 18/12/2014 Iran backs Russia's Syria talks initiative
- 18/12/2014 Iran, Turkey cooperation on challenges "a must": Rouhani
- 18/12/2014 Iran calls nuclear talks 'very useful'; next meeting in January
- 18/12/2014 Political directors of group of six nations and Iran end meeting in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Iraq seeks one-year deferral on Gulf War reparations
- 17/12/2014 EU says Hamas shoud be kept on terrorist list
- 17/12/2014 16 Syrian soldiers killed in clashes with al-Qaida affiliates in Aleppo
- 17/12/2014 ISIL executes 150 Iraqi women for not marrying militants
- 17/12/2014 Two car bombings kill 40 in central Yemen
- 17/12/2014 The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Pakistan strongly condemns terror attack on a school at Peshawar
- 16/12/2014 Turkey: Day of mourning for Pakistan school massacre
- 16/12/2014 Iraqi forces kill 13 ISIL militants in central Iraq
- 16/12/2014 141 including 132 students killed in Pakistan's Peshawar school attack - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 130 killed in Taliban attack on Pakistan military-run school - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 4000 chickens culled after bird flu confirmed in Japan
- 16/12/2014 UN: Syria conflict toll is nearly 200,000
- 16/12/2014 Saudi cuts off hand of convicted Yemeni thief
- 16/12/2014 Iran's Rouhani says will try to clinch nuclear deal as talks with U.S. resume
- 16/12/2014 Qaeda takes two Syrian bases in major blow to regime
- 16/12/2014 Top separatist Junaidi shot dead in south Yemen
- 15/12/2014 Netanyahu years continue surge in settlements
- 15/12/2014 Palestinian U.N. statehood bid at heart of Kerry-Netanyahu talks
- 15/12/2014 Police storm Sydney cafe, two dead, siege over
- 15/12/2014 Unknown man takes hostage dozens of people in Sydney cafe
- 14/12/2014 Four trapped in NW China coal mine fire
- 14/12/2014 Al-Qaida senior leader killed in Libya
- 13/12/2014 Three kids killed in north China kindergarten collapse
- 13/12/2014 Japan opposition urges high turnout in elections
- 13/12/2014 19 killed in Indonesia's landslides