On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 23/05/2015 UN official warns of growing ISIL threat in Libya
- 23/05/2015 Magnitude 6.8 quake strikes off Solomon Islands
- 23/05/2015 Proliferation talks fail over Mideast nuke plan
- 23/05/2015 IS claims Saudi Shiite mosque blast, countries condemn
- 23/05/2015 Islamic State expands its 'state'
- 22/05/2015 Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi'ite mosque, Islamic State claims attack
- 22/05/2015 IS militants seize control of last Syrian border point with Iraq
- 22/05/2015 Iran says not to give up security confidentiality for nuclear deal
- 21/05/2015 Iraq forces break oil refinery siege, liberate soldiers
- 21/05/2015 Fresh Saudi air raids leave 14 people dead in Yemen
- 21/05/2015 Islamic State seizes ancient Palmyra city from Syrian forces
- 21/05/2015 Netanyahu stresses support for 2-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20/05/2015 Iran's Khamenei rules out interviews with nuclear scientists
- 20/05/2015 North Korea modified submarine missile launch photos, says U.S. official
- 20/05/2015 Train rams into tractor at unmanned railroad crossing in India, killing 10 and injuring 33
- 20/05/2015 Vacuum bombs kill 20 in Syria
- 20/05/2015 China, Brazil, unveil multibillion trade, investment deals
- 20/05/2015 With nuclear deal in sight, Iran drives harder bargain in Indian trade talks
- 20/05/2015 UN Security Council condemns attack on Russia’s embassy in Damascus as terrorist act
- 20/05/2015 Western governments made strategic mistake by sanctions - Larijani
- 20/05/2015 Russia deputy foreign minister, Saudi ambassador discuss settlement of Yemeni conflict
- 20/05/2015 Rebels seize key regime base in Syria's Idlib
- 20/05/2015 Bomb outside Afghan Justice Ministry kills five, wounds dozens
- 20/05/2015 Turkey to send four-ton aid supplies to quake-hit Nepal
- 19/05/2015 5 dead, 6 unaccounted for as heavy rain lashes SW China
- 18/05/2015 Syrian insurgents battle army around military base in Idlib
- 18/05/2015 Suicide attack, gun shots kill 2, wound 7 in S. Afghanistan
- 18/05/2015 Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires
- 18/05/2015 Shi'ite forces move in on Iraqi city taken by Islamic State
- 17/05/2015 Strong aftershock hits Nepal, near Kathmandu: USGS
- 17/05/2015 Pakistani forces kill 4 militants, detain 6 in Karachi
- 17/05/2015 Thousands of Renault workers strike in Turkey
- 17/05/2015 ISIL seizes northern part of Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra
- 16/05/2015 8 bodies recovered from U.S. helicopter crash site; pilot identified
- 16/05/2015 Turkish president condemns Egypt over Morsi death sentence
- 16/05/2015 Afghanistan: Security forces kill 138 suspected Taliban
- 16/05/2015 Erdogan asks why 'West remains silent' on Morsi verdict
- 16/05/2015 Turkey shoots down Syrian aircraft over airplace violation
- 16/05/2015 Strong under-earth quake jolts Bengkulu, Indonesia
- 16/05/2015 Iran prepared for all scenarios in nuclear talks: negotiator