On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 01/08/2014 Israel, Hamas agree to 72-hour-truce as Gaza death toll keeps rising
- 01/08/2014 Offensive on Gaza big gamble for Israelis: Hamas
- 01/08/2014 Erdogan: Israeli genocide reminiscent of Holocaust
- 01/08/2014 Assad vows persistent fight against "terrorism" in Syria
- 01/08/2014 People around world finally standing up against Israeli genocide in Gaza: DeBar
- 31/07/2014 Suspected gas leakage causes multiple blasts in Taiwan
- 31/07/2014 Explosion hits China chemical plant
- 31/07/2014 China urges U.S. not to interfere in sovereignty
- 31/07/2014 27 killed in clashes and bomb attacks across Iraq
- 31/07/2014 Malaysia denies providing training for Hamas fighters
- 31/07/2014 Israel 'to destroy' Hamas Gaza tunnels - Netanyahu
- 31/07/2014 Israel Calls Up 16000 More Reservists
- 31/07/2014 Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq: sources
- 31/07/2014 Dubai, European airlines divert flights over Iraq
- 31/07/2014 Car bombing rocks Syria's Homs, casualties feared
- 31/07/2014 17 killed in Israel tank shelling on Gaza market: medics
- 31/07/2014 UN chief demands end to hostilities in Malaysian plane crash area in Ukraine
- 31/07/2014 Bloody mayhem at Gaza market as Israel observes 'lull'
- 30/07/2014 Iraqi militias execute, hang 15 people: police
- 30/07/2014 Five killed in Gaza despite Israel's 4-hour cease-fire: medics
- 30/07/2014 50 Palestinians killed in Gaza today
- 30/07/2014 11 arrested in 'parallel state' sweep in Turkey
- 30/07/2014 Chinese, Australian FMs discuss MH17 incident over phone
- 30/07/2014 Barrage of rockets fired on Israel: Israeli police
- 30/07/2014 Turkey delivers medical aid to Gaza
- 30/07/2014 12 killed, 6 missing in boat sinking in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia
- 29/07/2014 Heavy casualties reported in Xinjiang terror attack
- 29/07/2014 Fresh Israeli air raid on Gaza wipes out entire family
- 29/07/2014 Israeli air strikes kill 30 Palestinians in Gaza
- 29/07/2014 Subaru recalls vehicles in China
- 29/07/2014 10 Israeli soldiers killed east of Shujaiyya
- 29/07/2014 Israel to deliver devastating strike against Hamas soon - defense minister
- 28/07/2014 Death toll rises to 21 in southern Philippines ambush
- 28/07/2014 Iraq army launches anti-militant raid, kills 17
- 28/07/2014 Israeli strikes leave 10 more Palestinians dead in Gaza
- 28/07/2014 North Korea threatens nuclear strike on US
- 28/07/2014 Netanyahu says UN's call neglects Israel's security needs
- 28/07/2014 Test for Iran’s largest military ship for Caspian navy underway
- 28/07/2014 UN Security Council calls for immediate ceasefire in Gaza
- 27/07/2014 Turkey says suspends operations in Libya embassy due to security woes