On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 25/07/2014 Iran condemns Israel attack on Gaza’s UN-run school
- 25/07/2014 Gaza death toll approaches 800, no sign of ceasefire
- 25/07/2014 Israel aviation strikes at mosque in Palestine refugee camp
- 25/07/2014 Kurdish politician Fouad Masoum elected as Iraqi president
- 24/07/2014 Two foreign soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- 24/07/2014 Train, bus collision kills 20 schoolkids in India
- 24/07/2014 Kurdish politician Fouad Massoum elected Iraq's president
- 24/07/2014 U.S. says blame for downed plane lies with Putin
- 24/07/2014 Kerry wraps up Israel visit, no sign of breakthrough
- 24/07/2014 Israel scrambles to restore foreign flights to Tel Aviv
- 24/07/2014 Hamas tactics exact high toll in Israeli ground thrust
- 24/07/2014 "Some progress" made on reaching a truce in Gaza: Kerry
- 23/07/2014 Gaza bloodshed deepens, airlines shun Israel
- 23/07/2014 Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing at least 47: reports
- 23/07/2014 Iraqi security forces kill over 100 rebels
- 23/07/2014 Airlines Suspend Flights to Israel After Hamas Rocket Falls Near Key Airport
- 23/07/2014 Six Austrian citizens dead so far in Syrian crisis: interior ministry
- 23/07/2014 Malaysian experts hand over MH17 black boxes to Dutch investigators
- 23/07/2014 Netanyahu urges Kerry to resume Israel-bound flights
- 23/07/2014 Bombs in Nigeria's Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari targeted
- 23/07/2014 22 killed in Baghdad bomb attack
- 23/07/2014 Relatively strong quake shakes in Iranian Kerman province
- 22/07/2014 Jakarta Governor Widodo wins presidential elections in Indonesia
- 22/07/2014 Ceasefire "not enough" for durable Middle East peace: UN chief
- 21/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines offers 5,000 USD to MH17 families as financial assistance
- 21/07/2014 Israeli airstrike on Gaza city kills 11, including 4 children: Medics
- 21/07/2014 2 dead in northeast China rainstorms
- 21/07/2014 UN Secretary General meets with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
- 21/07/2014 6.8-magnitude quake hits 113 km NNE of Ndoi Island, Fiji
- 20/07/2014 Wave of bombings in Baghdad kills 27 people: police, medics
- 20/07/2014 Death toll rises to 43 in China highway explosion
- 20/07/2014 Iranians protest against Israel's offensive in Gaza
- 20/07/2014 Iraqi Christians flee Mosul under threats by extremist militants
- 20/07/2014 Iraqi president returns home from medical treatment
- 20/07/2014 Israelis destroy Hamas tunnels in Gaza offensive
- 20/07/2014 Azerbaijani journalist was shot to death in Moscow
- 19/07/2014 Teenager killed in anti-Israel protests in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- 19/07/2014 Israeli civilian killed in rocket fire from Gaza
- 19/07/2014 7 more Gazans killed in Israeli artillery fire
- 19/07/2014 Pakistan condemns U.S. drone strike in North Waziristan