On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 01/09/2014 US drone attack leaves 3 dead in Afghanistan
- 01/09/2014 15 more injured as clashes restart in Pakistan's Islamabad
- 31/08/2014 Security Council demands "immediate, unconditional release" of detained UN peacekeepers in Golan Heights
- 31/08/2014 8 killed, 308 injured in clashes in Pakistan's protest
- 31/08/2014 Houthi fighters kill 10 pro-govt. militants in Yemen
- 30/08/2014 32 militants killed in NW Pakistan's air strike
- 30/08/2014 Islamist gains in Syria alarm some Assad allies
- 30/08/2014 India, Pakistan border guards hold 2nd flag meeting in Kashmir
- 29/08/2014 Iraqi forces kill several ISIL terrorists near Baghdad
- 29/08/2014 Abbas seeks immediate int'l recognition of Palestinian state
- 29/08/2014 Israeli police find body in search for missing U.S. student
- 29/08/2014 IS executes scores of Syrian troops in new atrocity
- 28/08/2014 43 UN peacekeepers detained by "armed elements" in Golan Heights: spokesman
- 28/08/2014 Islamic State executes more than 160 Syria troops: monitor
- 28/08/2014 Yemeni president warns Houthi protesters
- 28/08/2014 Radical militants seize Syria crossing near Israel: activists
- 27/08/2014 Nuclear chief: Iran ready to launch new generation of centrifuges
- 27/08/2014 Malaysia police arrest Nepalese workers over rioting
- 27/08/2014 Pakistani opposition party stops talks with gov't
- 26/08/2014 DPRK denounces U.S. over Ferguson shooting
- 26/08/2014 ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman
- 26/08/2014 Palestinians accept Egypt’s proposal to conclude 30-day truce
- 26/08/2014 Israeli aircrafts strike Palestinian parliament building
- 26/08/2014 3 Chinese workers missing in Turkey: Chinese embassy
- 26/08/2014 Two car bombs kill at least 11 in mainly Shi'ite part of Baghdad
- 26/08/2014 Iraq premier-designate: militias must follow state
- 25/08/2014 Iraqi crisis: Suicide blast targets Baghdad Shia mosque
- 25/08/2014 Iranian Foreign Minister: “ISIL is a threat against international security”
- 25/08/2014 Iran to give response to recent aggression made by Israeli spy drone
- 24/08/2014 Iran says no need for UN to revisit military site
- 24/08/2014 Israeli airstrike collapses Gaza apartment tower
- 24/08/2014 Bombs kill at least 35 across Iraq a day after mosque shooting
- 24/08/2014 3 Yemen soldiers killed in convoy attack
- 23/08/2014 Israeli strike on a central Gaza house kills 3: Medics
- 23/08/2014 Netanyahu warns Hamas of 'heavy price' after child killed
- 23/08/2014 Gaza militants kill 18 alleged spies for Israel
- 22/08/2014 32 killed in attacks in eastern Iraq
- 22/08/2014 Pakistan says militants from Afghan side kill soldier
- 22/08/2014 Over 180,000 killed in Syrian conflict
- 22/08/2014 UNICEF: Children's death toll rises to 469 in Gaza