On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 28/04/2015 Nepal earthquake death toll above 4,500
- 28/04/2015 Saudi-led warplanes bomb airbase in Yemen's Sanaa
- 28/04/2015 Iranian forces board ship in Persian Gulf: Pentagon
- 28/04/2015 Nepal quake toll rises to 4,264, over than 7,000 injured
- 28/04/2015 Israel responsible for Gaza shelter attacks: UN
- 28/04/2015 Iran leads calls for Israel to give up nuclear weapons
- 28/04/2015 Iraq: 2 car bombings in Baghdad kill at least 17 civilians
- 28/04/2015 25 dead, 117 injured in Tibet following Nepal earthquake
- 27/04/2015 4 Asian workers dead in building collapse in Saudi Arabia
- 27/04/2015 Islamic State kills five journalists working for Libyan TV station: army official
- 26/04/2015 Nepal earthquake death toll surpasses 1,800; over 4,700 people injured - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 26/04/2015 Presidential election begins in Kazakhstan
- 26/04/2015 Turkish search and rescue teams heading to Nepal
- 26/04/2015 Google Exec Dan Fredinburg Killed in Nepal Earthquake
- 26/04/2015 International aid groups rush to reach Nepal quake victims
- 26/04/2015 3 Israeli policemen run over, injured in E. Jerusalem
- 26/04/2015 Three Islamic State car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing, four dead
- 25/04/2015 13 killed, 4 missing following Tibet earthquake
- 25/04/2015 UN chief appoints new envoy for Yemen
- 25/04/2015 Mortar attack kills 5 members of Afghan family
- 25/04/2015 Powerful quake kills more than 900 in Nepal, India, Bangladesh
- 25/04/2015 At least 115 children reported dead in Yemeni conflict: UNICEF
- 25/04/2015 Iran ships 'turn back' from Yemen as fighting rages
- 25/04/2015 Ceremony held in Turkey to mark Canakkale Victory centenary - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 24/04/2015 More fighting, air strikes in Yemen, civilian death toll exceeds 550
- 24/04/2015 Israeli jets attack northern Gaza
- 23/04/2015 Seven children killed in Pakistan road accident
- 23/04/2015 Two hostages killed in US operation against al-Qaeda compound
- 23/04/2015 China warns on rising North Korea nuclear capability
- 23/04/2015 Saudi-led coalition bombs Yemen despite calling off air campaign
- 23/04/2015 10 killed in two bomb attacks in Iraq
- 23/04/2015 ICRC says Yemen situation is disastrous, seeks better access and funding
- 23/04/2015 Talks begin on finalising Iran nuclear deal
- 22/04/2015 Timing of sanctions relief may be deal breaker as Iran talks resume
- 22/04/2015 42 killed in fresh infighting north of Damascus
- 22/04/2015 2 dead, 18 hurt in Baghdad car bombing
- 22/04/2015 Iran’s Zarif: Intra-Yemeni dialogue urgent
- 22/04/2015 Iran welcomes halt to Saudi airstrikes on Yemen
- 22/04/2015 Saudi-led coalition begins new phase in Yemen campaign
- 22/04/2015 Solar plane reaches China final leg Nanjing