On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 25/05/2013 Iran hopes Geneva 2 talks help resolve Syrian issue: FM
- 25/05/2013 Chinese premier arrives in Germany for official visit
- 25/05/2013 6 Iranian pilgrims killed in car bombing in Iraq
- 25/05/2013 Woman executed in Iran
- 25/05/2013 Syrian opposition seeks goodwill gestures from Assad ahead of Geneva meeting
- 25/05/2013 China, Switzerland sign MOU on concluding FTA talks
- 25/05/2013 12 Chechen fighters killed in central Syria: activists
- 25/05/2013 Death toll reaches 23 in clashes in Lebanon's Tripoli
- 25/05/2013 China shuts down over 3,700 firework plants
- 24/05/2013 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- 24/05/2013 Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- 24/05/2013 Syria opposition refuses to attend peace talks if Assad participates
- 24/05/2013 Iran arrests Rafsanjani supporters
- 24/05/2013 2 lashed in public in Iran - PHOTO
- 24/05/2013 7.4- magnitude quake strikes off Tonga
- 24/05/2013 Turkey to build wall on border with Syria
- 24/05/2013 Turkish woman beaten by Greek police in custody
- 24/05/2013 N.Korea ‘Willing’ to Resume Denuclearization Talks - Agency
- 23/05/2013 Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
- 23/05/2013 Lebanese PM warns of "state collapse"
- 23/05/2013 Saudi Arabia reports 17th death of novel coronavirus
- 23/05/2013 Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- 23/05/2013 Afghanistan: Suicide bomb kills anti-Taliban elder
- 23/05/2013 North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- 23/05/2013 Iran's nuke power plant to be launched "shortly": Russia's atomic agency
- 22/05/2013 Feature: Palestinians flock to Gaza after Rafah crossing point reopens
- 22/05/2013 Bahrain claims Iranian drone found
- 22/05/2013 Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 22/05/2013 Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- 22/05/2013 Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- 22/05/2013 DPRK accuses U.S. of slandering its socialist system
- 22/05/2013 5 killed, 20 injured in E. Afghan suicide bombing
- 22/05/2013 Iraqi premier orders army shake-up after attacks
- 22/05/2013 Armenian priest detained in Iran
- 22/05/2013 Iran qualifies 8 candidates for presidential election
- 22/05/2013 Syrian prime minister says victory against terrorists is nearing
- 22/05/2013 Syrian foes move towards talks but fighting rages
- 22/05/2013 Syrian PM confident of army's victory
- 22/05/2013 13 arrested in Beijing for rumormongering, disrupting public disorder
- 22/05/2013 42 die in another day of carnage in Iraq