On Sunday, Majlis passed generalities of the presidential election reform bill. According to part of the bill, a presidential candidate requires at least 100 lawmakers to endorse him as a statesman or at least 12 members of the assembly of experts to endorse him before he can present his credentials, Press TV reported.
The opponents to the bill believe it is a violation of the constitution, which have been practised over the past years since the Islamic revolution in 1979.
The new regulations mean that the eligibility of presidential candidates should be further approved by the country's current political, religious and administrative figures.
Larijani also said the bill still needs to become a law if it is approved by the Iranian Guardian Council as the top legislative body of the country and the constitution observer.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed Sunday his disapproval of the election reform bill, saying that it is in violation of the articles of the constitution and it undermines the people's choices and limits their freedom, according to Press TV.
Ahmadinejad said the new regulations is an embodiment of appointing a president without referring to the people's vote, according to local media.
He also criticized part of the bill that proposes the establishment of executive boards by the judiciary to be in charge of holding the elections, said Press TV.
In the previous presidential elections in the Islamic republic, the interior ministry was in charge of holding the elections.
The Iranian speaker said Monday that the appointment of executive boards for holding the elections will not undermine the authority of interior ministry.
The interior ministry will still have some roles in holding the elections, but under the supervision of the executive boards, said Larijani, adding that this will further safeguard the presidential elections, slated for June 2013.
After eight years in the office, Ahmadinejad is no more eligible to run for the next presidential term, but he is critical of the hardline conservative faction of Majlis, which he believes are trying to prevent his followers from succeeding him.
- 23/09/2014 US, Arab allies launch first wave of strikes against IS targets in Syria - PHOTOSESSION
- 23/09/2014 Shiite rebels control Yemen's capital after ceasefire deal
- 23/09/2014 Netanyahu: Israel's economy, security 'intertwined'
- 22/09/2014 Iran seeks expansion of all-round ties with Saudi Arabia
- 22/09/2014 Turkey struggles with spillover as Syrian Kurds battle Islamic State
- 22/09/2014 Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai named new president of Afghanistan
- 21/09/2014 Turkmen refugees in danger of starvation: Turkmen MP
- 21/09/2014 Yemen cease-fire deal to be signed: UN envoy
- 21/09/2014 Rescued Turkish consul general describes ISIL captivity
- 21/09/2014 Over 60,000 Syrians fleeing ISIL enter Turkey
- 21/09/2014 Video shows militants executing another Lebanese soldier
- 20/09/2014 Yemen television building catches fire
- 20/09/2014 One dead, 100 sick after drinking Bangladesh factory supplied water
- 20/09/2014 Iran, P5+1 work in different formats, raise levels of security
- 20/09/2014 71 killed in clashes between army, rebels in Yemeni capital
- 20/09/2014 Syria militants kill captive Lebanese soldier, bomb kills two
- 19/09/2014 Kurdish President Barzani: 'Use Every Means' to Protect City of Kobani
- 19/09/2014 French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State
- 19/09/2014 US airstrikes are not enough, says Iraqi vice president
- 19/09/2014 Nearly 40 people killed in Yemen clashes
- 18/09/2014 New ISIL video shows previously unseen UK hostage
- 18/09/2014 55 militans killed in Afghanistan, Pakistan
- 18/09/2014 Up to 100 children die from tainted measles vaccine in Syria
- 18/09/2014 Iranian FM meets EU Foreign Policy Chief
- 18/09/2014 Japan to decide on more sanctions against Russia
- 18/09/2014 Islamic State ordered 'demonstration killings' in Australia: PM
- 18/09/2014 Japan to announce more sanctions against Russia on Friday - Yomiuri
- 18/09/2014 Iran president to attend UN General Assembly
- 18/09/2014 30 killed in fierce clashes across Iraq
- 17/09/2014 Iraqi Kurdistan oil heads to Asia, in talks with China
- 17/09/2014 Iraqi army launches offensive on Islamic State in three cities
- 17/09/2014 Emir assures Merkel Qatar doesn't fund extremists in Syria, Iraq
- 17/09/2014 ISIL's Mosul head killed in Iraq: KRG
- 17/09/2014 Syrian warplane bombing 'kills 20 civilians' in Homs
- 16/09/2014 ISIL shoot down Syrian aircraft, kill 8
- 16/09/2014 Six injured in S. Philippines bomb blast
- 16/09/2014 Key Qaeda branches urge united jihadist front against coalition
- 16/09/2014 Suicide bomber targets foreign convoy near US Embassy in Kabul
- 16/09/2014 Islamic State group issues new curriculum in Iraq
- 16/09/2014 ICRC provides emergency relief for thousands displaced in Syria