Turkey will provide assistance to Syrians returning to al-Bab and help normalize life in the town, Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar said in a statement Friday, following the seizure of the Syrian town of al-Bab, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The 'Euphrates Shield' operation has been conducted with caution due to the unconventional nature of the conflict, Akar told troops in a speech during a visit to the Turkish border provinces of Gaziantep and Kilis. The fight has often involved car bombs, suicide attacks and snipers.
"With al-Bab under control, the targets planned at the start of the operation have been achieved. In the aftermath, support will be provided to normalise life and for the local people to quickly return to their homes," Akar said.
Akar had earlier said that a sweep operation was ongoing to clear the northern strategic town of mines and explosives planted by Daesh terrorists.
Operation Euphrates Shield was launched on August 24 to provide security, support to U.S.-led coalition forces and eliminate the terrorist presence along Syria's northern border with Turkey. The operation relies heavily on Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters backed by Turkish artillery and air supports.
A total of 230 residential areas and 1,925 square kilometers of land have been freed from the Daesh terror group in northern Syria since the onset last August of the Turkey-backed military operation in the region, according to the military.