Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. First Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament, Chairman of the Committee on Security and Defense issues, Head of the Azerbaijani Delegation to the NATO PA Ziyafat Asgarov’s interview to APA
- Mr. Ziyafat, the next NATO PA Rose Roth seminar ended. What were the expectations and what is the final result?
- We had special expectations from this seminar. The program included the topics reflecting those expectations. As we expected, the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan was discussed at a special session and the European parliamentarians were informed about the situation once again. The issue was opened and discussed. Moreover, the importance of Azerbaijan for Europe was the main focus of attention as we expected. Because the issue on provision of Azerbaijan with hydrocarbon reserves is very important for the Euro-Atlantic region. The other issue was related to the situation in the region. I think we have achieved our expectations. The seminar reached a conclusion and was successful. We delivered our message.
- The Armenian delegation also attended the seminar. How did they behave? And what can we expect from them after leaving here?
- You know, the Armenians came here on a provocative purpose. That’s unequivocal. For this purpose, they even went against the program of the seminar. They were frequently dropping a hint about Azerbaijan, tyring to vilify it in subjects related or unrelated to Azerbaijan, without even waiting for their turn. On the other hand, the Leyla Yunus factor was part of their plans. They, together with Leyla Yunus, tried to do something here by creating a show, but it was prevented.
- Are you suggesting they have planned it in advance together with Leyla Yunus?
- Let there be no doubt about it! They have had a private talk beforehand, there are lots of facts. They were conjointly trying to commit a provocation against Azerbaijan, but it was prevented successfully. Even the administration of the seminar politely explained to Leyla Yunus that it isn’t a right place for a political meeting for her. This is a NATO event. So she’s been invited to attend and make her speech in a civilized way. She can freely convey her ideas about the issues on the agenda. Let me tell you about another interesting fact: Azerbaijan hosted this Rose-Roth seminar in 2004 and 2008, but none of them was attended by the Armenians at those times. So why did they come this time? They were able to come at that time, too. At the same time, when we come together at same international events in foreign countries, theese Armenians often don’t talk at all, or make a very little speech. But they tried to be more active here. This was part of a huge provocation. Leyla Yunus was waiting for them in Baku for support. But they failed. They achived nothing. The Seminar got through at a very high level. All top isues on the agenda were successfully discussed.