Clinton: No Option Off Table in Libya Crisis

Clinton: No Option Off Table in Libya Crisis
# 01 March 2011 02:33 (UTC +04:00)
Baku – APA. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says "nothing is off the table" as the U.S. explores all possible options for action to stop the Libyan government’s brutal crackdown on its citizens, APA reports quoting “The Voice of America”.

Clinton told reporters at a news conference at the U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva Monday that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has lost the "legitimacy to govern" and must leave "without further delay." She said the U.S. was working with its partners to launch an effective response to the crisis in Libya.

Clinton said the U.S. has set aside an additional $10 million in emergency assistance to support organizations on the ground in Libya, and is immediately dispatching two humanitarian teams to assist displaced people at Libya’s borders with Tunisia and Egypt.

Meanwhile, EU officials meeting in Brussels say the 27-nation bloc has agreed to a package of sanctions against Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, reinforcing measures adopted by the U.N. Security Council last week.

The officials say the EU sanctions include an arms embargo, asset freeze and visa ban on Gadhafi and members of his inner circle - measures already included in a U.N. Security Council resolution approved on Saturday.

EU officials say the EU is banning the sale of equipment that could be used by Gadhafi’s government to suppress opposition protesters who began an uprising against his 42-year rule earlier this month.

EU foreign ministers and their international counterparts were meeting Monday in Geneva on the sidelines of a U.N. Human Rights Council session to coordinate additional steps against Gadhafi.
#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED