The Taliban slammed the United States on Sunday, releasing a statement warning that Americans would 'suffer more than anyone else' for cancelling inter-Afghan peace talks, APA reports citing Sputinknews.
"The Americans will suffer more than anyone else for cancelling the talks," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said, his comments cited by Reuters.
The spokesman warned the talks cancellation would lead to 'further losses of US lives' and other assets, and said the US would be forced to return to negotiations sooner or later.
In the meantime, the Taliban promised to continue their war until foreign powers carry out a complete withdrawal from Afghanistan.
According to Mujahid, talks had been proceeding smoothly until Saturday, with the government and the militants agreeing to formal intra-Afghan peace talks on September 23.