Kuwait’s 90-year-old ruler has been admitted to hospital in the United States for medical tests and postponed a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump planned for this week in Washington, state news agency KUNA said on Sunday, APA reports citing Reuters.
Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, who has ruled the U.S. ally and OPEC oil producer since 2006 and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years, had been due to meet Trump on Sept. 12.
That meeting will occur at a later date, KUNA said, citing a senior official in the emir’s office. It had said last month he was in “good condition” after suffering an unspecified health setback.
He had held public meetings with members of his cabinet in Kuwait before traveling to the United States.