North Korea tears up ceasefire agreement

North Korea tears up ceasefire agreement
# 27 May 2009 08:19 (UTC +04:00)
North Korea leadership officially rejected the obligations undertaken by the agreement and said it would respond any action by South Korea and its allies. The statement said North Korea would not guarantee the security of U.S. and South Korean warships and civil ships in its west coasts. “Any military action against the republic, including control over the North Korean ships, will cause a military confrontation”, said the Korean delegation in its statement.
Pyongyang breaks the ceasefire in response to South Korea’s participation to the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI), launched in June 2003 on U.S. initiative, which is aimed prevention of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. North Korea conducted underground nuclear tests on May 25 despite UN protests.
The ceasefire agreement was signed between North and South Korea on July 27, 1953. The sides held 1076 meetings in two years before the signing of the agreement. The ceasefire was not replaced with peace agreement so far. The agreement considers establishing of 4-km demilitarized zone through 38th parallel. Pyongyang breaks the ceasefire agreement refusing to recognize the military demarcation line.
#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED