South Africa ready to host AFCON 2013

South Africa ready to host AFCON 2013
# 31 December 2012 02:24 (UTC +04:00)

Baku-APA. The committee preparing for hosting African Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2013 in South Africa on Sunday announced the country is ready to host the tournament, APA reports quoting Xinhua.

The Local Organizing Committee Chief Executive Officer Mvuzo Mbebe said this at the ceremony of naming the South African national team to take part in the tournament.

"There are 21 days for the biggest soccer event in Africa to start," Mbebe said. "We have put in place plans that will ensure that every team is provided with the necessary environment and conditions conducive to compete equally."

The committee has formed sub-committees with the police and Department of Home Affairs to assist those attending the AFCON.

He encouraged South Africans to fill the stadia and support the South African national team.

On the same occasion the national team coach Gordon Igesund announced his 23-man team would take part in AFCON 2013.

The coach named a strong squad consisting of the experienced players, saying "we had the best of the best in the camp, with excellent players competing against each other for positions."

He called on South Africans and the media to rally behind the national team, adding, "Now that the final squad has been selected, the focus is on the tournament, your support will be very crucial to see us through."

Various departments in the South African government have formed clusters to assist the successful hosting of AFCON 2013.

Department of Home Affairs announced that they would beef up the staff at the entry points to assist high volume of visitors during the tournament.

AFCON 2013 was previously planned to be hosted by Libya, however, the the African soccer ruling body CAF later decided to move the competition to South Africa.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED