Baku-APA. Under a new law signed into effect by President Viktor Yanukovych Thursday, Ukraine in the near future will introduce biometric passports in conformity with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) standards, presidential press-service reported, APA reports.
According to the new law, each Ukrainian citizen, regardless of his or her age, is obliged to obtain a passport, which contains a chip with electronic data. An ID number, digital images and digital signature will be the key elements of the new passport.
It is expected that the new passport will make it easier for Ukrainians to receive visas from European Union member states.
The previous version of the Ukrainian passports will remain valid until their official expiry dates.
Ukrainian parliament passed the law on November 20.
- 18/09/2014 Africa conflicts must be settled under the auspices of African Union - Lavrov
- 18/09/2014 Russia is not completely confident Iran, P5+1 can work out agreement by November 24
- 17/09/2014 Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 17/09/2014 Tycoon's arrest sends shock wave through Russia
- 17/09/2014 Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion
- 17/09/2014 Adviser to Ukrainian President: Fight against armed groups to continue in Donbass
- 17/09/2014 Chairman of European Committee for Prevention of Torture Latif Huseynov conducts monitoring in Ukraine
- 16/09/2014 Russia's defense minister says sending extra troops to Crimea a priority
- 16/09/2014 US policies pushing world towards “new cold war”, Duma Speaker
- 16/09/2014 Ukraine, EU ratify association agreement
- 16/09/2014 EU sanctions limit opportunities for dialogue: Moscow
- 15/09/2014 Oldest descendant of Romanov royal dynasty dies
- 15/09/2014 Medvedev: Western sanctions test Russia for durability
- 14/09/2014 Earthquake hits Iran
- 14/09/2014 NATO expansion to Russian borders unacceptable: Lavrov
- 13/09/2014 Ukrainian PM: NATO Not Ready to Accept Ukraine in Near Future
- 13/09/2014 Russia may restrict import of petrochemical, engineering products from US, EU - minister
- 13/09/2014 Russia to strike back at U.S. sanctions while leaving door open for dialogue
- 13/09/2014 U.S. steps up sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 13/09/2014 Ukraine's leader sees no military solution of crisis, vows reforms
- 12/09/2014 Conflict in eastern Ukraine causes 911 mln USD losses: deputy PM
- 12/09/2014 New anti-Russian sanctions will not be left without proper reaction from Moscow - FM
- 12/09/2014 UN chief urges Poroshenko to continue dialogue with Russia, keep truce
- 11/09/2014 Sanctions against Russia strategic error - deputy PM
- 11/09/2014 Russian provider of air traffic services suspends air navigation services for Air Armenia airline
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says Russia withdrawing forces from east, sees boost for peace
- 11/09/2014 Bus crashes into tree in Shemakhi: 2 killed, 13 injured
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says cease-fire "effective"
- 11/09/2014 Putin promises new weapons to fend Western threats
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko pledges autonomy for east Ukraine
- 10/09/2014 Moldova to get Russian gas from Romania if Ukraine blocks its transit -minister
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko says Russia moves 70 percent of forces back across border
- 09/09/2014 Russian Missile Warning System Tracks Ballistic Missile Launch Towards Israel: Ministry
- 09/09/2014 Russia starts building military bases in the Arctic
- 09/09/2014 Ukrainian forces, insurgents blame each other for ceasefire violation
- 09/09/2014 Rescue operation in Khirdalan completed - PHOTO
- 09/09/2014 Poroshenko makes arms supply deals with NATO
- 09/09/2014 Putin, Poroshenko discuss steps towards further peace settlement in Ukraine
- 06/09/2014 Petro Poroshenko: “I’m ready to die for Ukraine”
- 06/09/2014 Moscow to respond to possible new EU sanctions: Russia's Foreign Ministry