Baku-APA. Under a new law signed into effect by President Viktor Yanukovych Thursday, Ukraine in the near future will introduce biometric passports in conformity with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) standards, presidential press-service reported, APA reports.
According to the new law, each Ukrainian citizen, regardless of his or her age, is obliged to obtain a passport, which contains a chip with electronic data. An ID number, digital images and digital signature will be the key elements of the new passport.
It is expected that the new passport will make it easier for Ukrainians to receive visas from European Union member states.
The previous version of the Ukrainian passports will remain valid until their official expiry dates.
Ukrainian parliament passed the law on November 20.
- 16/04/2014 Ukraine targets Russian bank for 'financing terrorists'
- 16/04/2014 Four militants killed in Dagestan - Russian National Antiterrorism Committee
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine has restored control over airport in eastern Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine declares Crimea "temporarily occupied territory"
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine pushes tanks toward flashpoint separatist city
- 15/04/2014 Ukrainian army launches operation against separatists in east, two injured
- 15/04/2014 Separatists ignore ultimatum, tighten grip on east Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Separatist unrest spreads in Ukraine; ultimatum ends with no crackdown
- 15/04/2014 Putin to Obama: Use your influence to prevent bloodshed in Ukraine - UPDATED
- 14/04/2014 Anti-Kremlin protest draws thousands in Moscow
- 14/04/2014 Putin appoints Aksyonov acting governor of Crimea
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov heads the operational headquarters of the special operation in eastern Ukraine
- 14/04/2014 Yulia Tymoshenko: “War has actually been declared against Ukraine, we should stop them, otherwise they won’t stop”
- 14/04/2014 APA Holding launches new project
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov doesn't exclude holding referendum about federalization of Ukraine
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Security Council discussing imposing state of emergency in country’s east
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Interior Ministry confirms resignation of Donetsk region police chief
- 12/04/2014 Ukraine's acting president convenes Security Council over unrests in southeast
- 12/04/2014 Putin pledges to fulfil Europe gas obligations
- 12/04/2014 RF finance minister: Ukraine is to conduct reform to have extra aid from RF
- 12/04/2014 Russian ministries set to return Scythian gold collection back to Crimean museums
- 12/04/2014 Ukrainian PM pledges more powers for regions
- 11/04/2014 Ukraine looks to Europe for gas as Russia ups pressure
- 11/04/2014 Russia sees no grounds to extradite Yanukovich to Ukraine
- 11/04/2014 Russian Foreign Ministry: “Ukraine crisis can be de-escalated”
- 11/04/2014 Kadyrov: сhechen cities safe enough for police to be unarmed while off duty
- 11/04/2014 Seven injured in clash in front of presidential candidate’s hotel in Odessa, Ukraine
- 11/04/2014 New Armenian prime minister to be named April 14
- 11/04/2014 Sevastopol not to hold gubernatorial elections in 2014 - acting governor
- 10/04/2014 Russian defense orders grow five-fold in 2013
- 10/04/2014 Russian media says U.S. warship heading to Black Sea over Ukraine
- 10/04/2014 Separatists build barricades in east Ukraine, Kiev warns of force
- 10/04/2014 Putin warns Kiev against irreversible mistakes
- 09/04/2014 Putin instructs lenient gas policy with Ukraine
- 09/04/2014 Russia refuses to attend joint meeting of OSCE Forum for Security Co-operation and Permanent Council
- 08/04/2014 Russia contributes to Syria’s chemical demilitarisation - Foreign Ministry
- 08/04/2014 Russian Foreign Minister and U.S. Secretary of State have telephone conversation
- 08/04/2014 Ukraine launches "anti-terrorist" operation in Kharkiv, 70 arrested
- 08/04/2014 Russia faces "costs" if it further destabilizes Ukraine: Kerry
- 08/04/2014 UN chief "deeply concerned" about situation in eastern Ukraine