China blames East Turkestan Islamic Movement for terrorist attack in Beijing, 50 Uighurs arrested

China blames East Turkestan Islamic Movement for terrorist attack in Beijing, 50 Uighurs arrested
# 02 November 2013 08:03 (UTC +04:00)

The high-profile car crash on Monday killed two tourists and injured dozens at the popular site and symbolic heart of the Chinese state. The three people in the car -- a man, his wife and his mother -- all died in the crash, according to police.


China's state-run broadcaster CCTV said late Friday on a verified social media account that the attack had been planned since September and had a "budget" of 40,000 yuan ($6560).

The broadcaster said that the group of eight had possessed weapons -- including "Tibetan knives and 400 litres of petrol" -- and had stayed at a hotel in west Beijing before five of them returned to Xinjiang's capital Urumqi, leaving three others to carry out the attack using a Mercedes SUV.

The reports came as a Uighur rights group said that more than 50 people had been arrested in the restive far western region of Xinjiang, where China's mostly Muslim Uighur minority is concentrated.

China's top security official has blamed separatist group East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) for backing the attacks.

A spokesman for the World Uyghur Congress, a Uighur exile group previously blamed for promoting violence by Beijing, said Saturday that 53 people had been arrested in Xinjiang in a police crackdown over the past two days.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED