2 killed, over 200 hurt as synagogue bleacher collapses near Jerusalem-VIDEO-UPDATED-1

2 killed, over 200 hurt as synagogue bleacher collapses near Jerusalem-VIDEO -UPDATED-1
# 17 May 2021 03:10 (UTC +04:00)

More than 200 people have been taken to hospitals after the collapse of bleachers during mass prayer in an Israeli synagogue in Givat Zeev, a West Bank settlement about 3 miles from Jerusalem, APA reports citing the Israeli Kan broadcaster.

***23:05/May 17

Two people were killed and 167 injured, including five seriously, as a bleacher collapsed during a large gathering in a Givat Ze’ev synagogue during Shavuot holiday celebrations on Sunday evening, APA reports citing Times Of İsrael.

A video showed the Karlin synagogue in the West Bank settlement, just north of Jerusalem, packed with people as a bleacher suddenly collapsed.

The wounded were taken to hospitals in Jerusalem. Medics and firefighters confirmed there were no people trapped beneath the bleacher after searching the area.

Magen David Adom said medics treated five people who were seriously injured, along with 10 people in moderate condition and 152 who suffered light injuries.

Medics confirmed the deaths of a 40-year-old man and a 12-year-old boy. They were not immediately identified.


At least two people were killed on Sunday and dozens injured, some critically, when a grandstand seating area collapsed in a crowded synagogue in a Jewish settlement in the West Bank, APA reports citing Haaretz.

The incident occurred in Givat Ze'ev, north of Jerusalem, in a synagogue that was still under construction. Television footage from the scene showed the building was incomplete, with exposed concrete and boards visible.

The local government, police and fire and rescue services all dodged responsibility for approving the event, which was publicized over the past days.

Amateur footage showed the collapse occurring during prayers at the synagogue, affiliated with the Karlin Hasidic dynasty, at the beginning of the Jewish holiday of Shavuot.

One of the worshippers told Haaretz the synagogue reopened on Sunday for its first service.

The local mayor, Yossi Avrahami, said he ordered to stop the event beforehand, but claimed police didn't provide assistance in doing so. A regional police commander said they didn't approve the event.