Separatists attack military convoy in Yemen: one killed

Separatists attack military convoy in Yemen: one killed
# 16 May 2010 02:02 (UTC +04:00)
Baku-APA. A soldier was killed and four injured when armed separatists ambushed a military convoy in southern Yemen on Saturday. According to APA’s information quoting Earth Times a government official told it.

The official, who asked not to be named, told the German Press Agency dpa that the convoy was attacked along a main road in the city of al-Habileen, around 80 kilometres north of the port of Aden.

He said convoy was ferrying military officers from the southern port city of Aden to the capital Sana’a. The assailants are believed to be militants from the separatist Southern Movement.

The soldier died and four were injured in the gunbattle that ensued after the convoy came under fire, he said.

Witnesses had earlier said that one of the gunmen was killed and another injured, but Southern Movement sources denied this.

The government official confirmed that police, supported by military units, launched a manhunt for the suspects.

Al-Habileen is a stronghold of the Southern Movement, which calls for the south of Yemen to secede from the north.

The city is one of many in the south that have been the scene of deadly clashes in recent months between security forces and supporters of the group.
1 2 3 4 5 İDMAN XƏBƏR
#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED