Ecuadorean journalists held by Colombian rebels confirmed dead

Ecuadorean journalists held by Colombian rebels confirmed dead
# 13 April 2018 23:04 (UTC +04:00)

Two Ecuadorean journalists and their driver, who were kidnapped last month by Colombian insurgents, have been killed, the leaders of both nations said on Friday, vowing justice, APA reports quoting Reuters.

“Regrettably, we have information that confirms the murder of our compatriots,” Ecuadorean President Lenin Moreno said on state television. “It seems these criminals never planned to deliver them back safely.”

On Thursday, Moreno gave the group, former fighters from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) who refused to demobilize under last year’s peace deal with Colombia, 12 hours to prove the hostages were alive or face a military operation.

Moreno returned to Ecuador that day from a regional summit following reports El Comercio reporter Javier Ortega, photographer Paul Rivas and driver Efrain Segarra were killed.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED