Kenya expects removal of travel warning from the West

Kenya expects removal of travel warning from the West
# 24 March 2015 22:34 (UTC +04:00)

Baku-APA. Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta has expressed optimism that travel advisories issued by main tourism source markets for Kenya "will soon be lifted", APA reports quoting Xinhua.

Kenyatta said security situation in the country especially in the coastal tourism resort cities and towns has been restored, with proper security measures put in place to ensure the safety of visitors.

"We have seen the tranquility of our coastal region... I want to reassure everyone that the Kenyan coast is safe," Kenyatta said on Tuesday when he was opening a biennial conference of ambassadors and high commissioners in the coastal town of Kwale.

Kenyatta's remarks come barely a week after Britain hinted at relaxing the travel advice for Kenya.

British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said last Thursday that London has deepened relations with Kenya's security forces, which could result in removal of the travel alert issued last year.

The travel warnings have crippled the country's tourism which relies on foreign visitors, and led to the closure of more than 40 hotels alongside the coast due to low bed occupancy.

The latest travel warnings were issued in May last year by Britain, the United States, Franceand Australia following a string of gun and grenade attacks in the capital Nairobi and some coastal cities including Mombasa and Lamu.

Kenyatta also called on relevant authorities to diversify tourism by tapping on regional and domestic markets instead of relying solely on foreign tourists. He said the ministries should eliminate strict traveling protocols and enable easy flow of visitors into the country.

1 2 3 4 5 İDMAN XƏBƏR
#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED