I’m not finished, insists defeated Federer
The former world number one slumped to a dramatic 3-6, 6-7 (3/7), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 defeat to France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Wednesday, shattering his hopes of equalling Pete Sampras’s record of seven Wimbledon titles for another year.
But even with his 30th birthday approaching in August, Federer is adamant he can add to his Grand Slam collection of 16, the last of which came at the Australian Open in 2010.
"I think I definitely can, yes. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t the case," said the Swiss.
"I think I’m playing well. I thought my game was plenty good enough this year to win the tournament. Unfortunately there’s only one that can win it, and the rest go home empty-handed.
"I’m healthy. Even though I took a tough loss today, I don’t feel discouraged in any way. I’ll work harder than ever and hopefully come back extremely strong for Davis Cup next week and then the American summer again."
Wednesday’s defeat was the first time Federer had lost a Grand Slam match from being two sets to love up.
He previously boasted a 178-0 Grand Slam win-loss record when winning the first two sets.
His only defeats from two sets to love up had come against Lleyton Hewitt in the 2003 Davis Cup final and in the 2005 Masters Cup in Shanghai against David Nalbandian.
"Is it easy for anybody at the moment? I don’t think so," added Federer as he reflected on the strength of the men’s game. "I think it’s pretty tough for anybody right now to win Grand Slams."
Federer, whose last Wimbledon title came in 2009 in an epic five-set duel with Andy Roddick, insisted he is not obsessed by beating good friend Sampras’s record of seven Wimbledon titles.
But he knows that with defending champion Rafael Nadal being almost five years his junior, the task is becoming harder as the years pass by.
"I love equalling any record Pete has made, but it’s not the driving force behind my motivation," said Federer.
"Look, I love Pete. It’s always nice doing stuff that he did. But at the end of the day I’m trying to win a tournament."
On Wednesday, there were no signs of the drama to come as Federer, who went into the match with a 4-1 winning record over 12th seeded Tsonga, was in majestic form early on.
He cruised through the first set on Centre Court courtesy of a break in the second game, which turned out to be his only break of the dramatic afternoon.
Tsonga, playing in his second successive Wimbledon quarter-final, was more solid in the second, but buckled in the tiebreak which Federer was never going to relinquish once he had taken a 5-1 lead.
But then Federer’s world turned upside down.
He was broken in the third game of the third set, the third of the fourth to help level the tie before a single crucial break in the first game of a one-sided decider.
"I played too good. It wasn’t a shocker second round loss in straight sets, some stupid match I played. It was a great match from both sides," said Federer.
"To talk bad about this match would be unfortunate. I really did play well, and I also thought Jo played an amazing match, as good as I’ve seen him play for such a long period of time."
NEWS FEED
Iran says Ukraine has yet to pay compensation for Caspian Sea ship attack
Azerbaijani media representatives familiarize themselves with operations of Uzbekistan’s TEXNOPARK - PHOTO
Five more missing martyrs of First Karabakh War to be buried
Two killed, ten injured in Russian attacks on Zaporizhzhia
US, UAE discuss regional security, Strait of Hormuz
US, South Korea to cut joint military drills short
Azerbaijani oil price exceeds $94
Gold and silver prices fall in commodity markets
UN: 350 aid workers killed in 2025 as humanitarian work remains increasingly dangerous
Trump pauses 50% Canada tariffs for 3-day period
UAE halts trade, financial transactions with Iran — Foreign Ministry
Trump threatens Oman over planned deal with Iran on Strait of Hormuz — AP
US charges 17 Iranians with a large-scale cyber campaign
Fenerbahce and Lyon share the points in 1-1 draw
Pentagon weighing a smaller US military presence in the Gulf once the Iran war ends
US announces new sanctions on top ICC figures
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
Chadayev resigned from his position as advisor to the Russian Minister of Transport after provocation against Azerbaijan
Iran security chief mocks Trump’s Hormuz claim as ‘too far from reality’
Araghchi: President Pezeshkian's phone call with the President of Azerbaijan completely changed the situation
Germany to extend border controls due to Ceuta crisis
Trump says no talks planned with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut
US expands Venezuela sanctions list
Trump, Vance 'not on same page' on Iran
Viktor Yushchenko says he held sincere and substantive meeting with President Ilham Aliyev, thanks Azerbaijani leader
Azerbaijani media representatives visit famous Chorsu Bazaar in Tashkent - PHOTO
Azerbaijani ambassador presents credentials to Turkish Foreign Ministry
Trump says US is not holding talks with Iran
AYNA: 1,030 freight vehicles are in live queue at Red Bridge customs post
NCA: Cyberattack attempts recorded against user accounts of some organizations in Azerbaijan
State Customs Committee: Azerbaijan and Georgia to take measures to ease truck congestion at border-VIDEO
Four Killed, ten injured in minibus crash in Türkiye's central province Sivas
US envoy says Washington ‘deeply concerned’ over Israeli airstrikes on Syrian airbase
Aragchi's deputy responds to Trump's territorial claim over Strait of Hormuz: We will soon correct the illusions
Ambassador: I look forward to strengthening strategic partnership between UK and Azerbaijan
Trump posts image calling Strait of Hormuz ‘new US territory’ - PHOTO
President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of newly appointed UK Ambassador to Azerbaijan
UN says only three percent of Gaza cropland accessible and undamaged
Azerbaijani media representatives visit National Children’s Medical Center in Uzbekistan
Official Kyiv: 12 killed in Russia's overnight attacks on Ukraine
Hamas remains committed to Gaza deal after Kushner talks in Israel: Report
Syria state media says three dead in blast at coastal power plant
Russian Ambassador summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
Another provocation from Russia: Officials also dragged into journalists’ venture
Azercell’s “Offline Women” project receives international Stevie® Award
Forecasts for state budget deficit by year-end announced
Hormuz to remain closed until US meets deal terms, Ghalibaf says
Forecast for Azerbaijan’s non-oil and gas GDP growth revised
Finance Ministry: Azerbaijan’s public debt projected to reach AZN 27.6 billion by year-end