8 died, 2 injured in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap city
Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2016G7 stands pat on anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.05.2016S. Korea navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- 26.05.2016Five dead, 92 injured in Mumbai chemical factory blast
- 26.05.2016Japan's Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- 26.05.2016Netanyahu signs coalition deal, names far-right Lieberman defense chief
- 26.05.2016Iraqi PM claims progress in Fallujah military operation
- 25.05.2016Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 25.05.2016Top Shi'ite cleric urges restraint in assault on Iraq's Falluja
- 25.05.2016Avigdor Lieberman named as Israel's defense minister
- 25.05.2016Israel: Liberman’s party to join government coalition
- 25.05.2016Taliban announces new leader
- 24.05.2016Four Turkish soldiers fall in roadside blast in Van
- 24.05.2016IS destroyed helicopters at Syrian base used by Russia: report
- 24.05.2016Syrian Kurds begin operation against ISIL
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message
- 22.05.2016Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour
- 22.05.2016India partly repays $6.5-Bln debt to Iran for oil supplies
- 21.05.2016Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- 21.05.2016Death toll of central Pakistan road accident rises to 13
- 21.05.2016Al-Qaeda country head killed in E. Pakistan operation
- 21.05.2016India records its highest temperature ever
- 21.05.2016Hezbollah vows stronger presence in Syria after commander's death
- 21.05.201656 people killed in intensified fighting in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2016Baghdad imposes curfew after Green Zone protesters clash with police
- 20.05.2016Turkish parliament ratifies bill to lift MPs' immunity
- 20.05.2016Israeli defense minister resigns
- 19.05.2016Airbus A320 flying from Paris to Cairo ‘feared to have crashed into the sea’ - UPDATED
- 19.05.20161 killed, 5 injured as blast hits police vehicle in SW Pakistan
- 19.05.2016Bolivia police, workers clash at protest over plant shutdown
- 19.05.2016Bomb kills nine Iraqi soldiers during raid south of Baghdad
- 18.05.201616 people missing as landslide hits Sri Lanka
- 18.05.2016Iraqi forces recapturing al-Rutbah city from Daesh
- 18.05.2016Yemen gov't suspends participation in UN peace talks
- 17.05.2016Three Baghdad blasts claim 58 lives
- 17.05.20163 killed in landslides and heavy rains in Sri Lanka