Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
- 22/12/2014 Pakistani interior minister: Information suggests attack like Peshawar being planned
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan forces kill 7 militants in northwest
- 20/12/2014 6 killed, 22 wounded in Baghdad attacks
- 20/12/2014 Five killed in central China house explosion
- 20/12/2014 UN asks Israel to pay Lebanon $850 M for oil spill
- 20/12/2014 Israel bombs Gaza militant base after rocket hits southern Israel
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan hangs 2 militants involved in attack on army headquarters
- 20/12/2014 Fifteen U.S.-led air strikes target Islamic State militants: task force
- 19/12/2014 Iran honors nuclear deal with powers, IAEA report shows
- 19/12/2014 Volcano erupts in eastern Indonesia
- 19/12/2014 US general says 3-year minimum needed for anti-ISIL fight
- 18/12/2014 Suicide car bomb kills 18 in Yemen's western port city
- 18/12/2014 Iran backs Russia's Syria talks initiative
- 18/12/2014 Iran, Turkey cooperation on challenges "a must": Rouhani
- 18/12/2014 Iran calls nuclear talks 'very useful'; next meeting in January
- 18/12/2014 Political directors of group of six nations and Iran end meeting in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Iraq seeks one-year deferral on Gulf War reparations
- 17/12/2014 EU says Hamas shoud be kept on terrorist list
- 17/12/2014 16 Syrian soldiers killed in clashes with al-Qaida affiliates in Aleppo
- 17/12/2014 ISIL executes 150 Iraqi women for not marrying militants
- 17/12/2014 Two car bombings kill 40 in central Yemen
- 17/12/2014 The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Pakistan strongly condemns terror attack on a school at Peshawar
- 16/12/2014 Turkey: Day of mourning for Pakistan school massacre
- 16/12/2014 Iraqi forces kill 13 ISIL militants in central Iraq
- 16/12/2014 141 including 132 students killed in Pakistan's Peshawar school attack - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 130 killed in Taliban attack on Pakistan military-run school - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 4000 chickens culled after bird flu confirmed in Japan
- 16/12/2014 UN: Syria conflict toll is nearly 200,000
- 16/12/2014 Saudi cuts off hand of convicted Yemeni thief
- 16/12/2014 Iran's Rouhani says will try to clinch nuclear deal as talks with U.S. resume
- 16/12/2014 Qaeda takes two Syrian bases in major blow to regime
- 16/12/2014 Top separatist Junaidi shot dead in south Yemen
- 15/12/2014 Netanyahu years continue surge in settlements
- 15/12/2014 Palestinian U.N. statehood bid at heart of Kerry-Netanyahu talks
- 15/12/2014 Police storm Sydney cafe, two dead, siege over
- 15/12/2014 Unknown man takes hostage dozens of people in Sydney cafe
- 14/12/2014 Four trapped in NW China coal mine fire
- 14/12/2014 Al-Qaida senior leader killed in Libya
- 13/12/2014 Three kids killed in north China kindergarten collapse
- 13/12/2014 Japan opposition urges high turnout in elections