Baku-APA. Eight persons died and two others injured in a strong fire early Saturday in a night market in Cambodia's tourism hub Siem Reap city, Siem Reap provincial police chief Sath Nady said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"Four adults and four children were killed in the blaze, and other two men were seriously injured," he told Xinhua over telephone on Saturday morning. "The victims are vendors and their children who slept in their houses in the market when the accident occurred."
The accident happened at 2:00 a.m. local time and was completely extinguished at around 5:00 a.m., he said. Besides the human casualties, the fire destroyed hundreds of stalls in the market, which sold souvenir things to tourists.
"Electric fault was blamed for the accident," he said.
Siem Reap province houses the world heritage Angkor Wat temple, which is the country's largest cultural tourism destination. It is located some 315 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
The cultural province attracted 1.64 million foreign visitors in the first ten months of this year, up 28 percent compared with the same period last year.
- 04/07/2015 Protesters gather in Thailand to demand students release
- 03/07/2015 Two rockets fired from Egypt land in southern Israel
- 03/07/2015 Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen cities kill 16: Houthis
- 03/07/2015 6.5 magnitude quake hits China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
- 03/07/2015 Clashes, air strikes against IS militants kill 72 in Iraq
- 03/07/2015 Saudi policeman killed in crossfire amid raids on IS members
- 03/07/2015 12 killed as 4 compartments of train fall into canal in Pakistan
- 02/07/2015 Eight dead in new Saudi-led strikes on Yemen's Sanaa: agency
- 02/07/2015 Iraqi forces say most of Baiji town recaptured from Islamic State
- 02/07/2015 36 dead, 19 missing as ferry capsizes in Philippines
- 02/07/2015 21 killed in road accident in India
- 02/07/2015 5.8-magnitude quake hits 92km SE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 01/07/2015 IAEA chief to discuss nuclear issues with Iranian officials in Tehran
- 01/07/2015 141 bodies recovered from Indonesia plane crash
- 01/07/2015 Inmates riot against smoking ban breaks out at maximum prison of Melbourne
- 01/07/2015 Iraqi forces nearly recapture oil refinery town in Salahudin
- 30/06/2015 Iran, powers give themselves to July 7 to strike deal
- 30/06/2015 At least 113 people killed in Indonesian military plane crash
- 30/06/2015 Indonesian military plane crashes into hotel, killing at least 30
- 30/06/2015 Fereydoun, Salehi to join Iranian negotiators
- 29/06/2015 U.S. says absurd to suggest that it will cave in Iran talks
- 28/06/2015 More than 430 people injured in Taiwan water park explosion - UPDATED
- 28/06/2015 Lebanon foils IS bomb plot one day after triple terror hits backed by same group
- 28/06/2015 Ansarullah fighters target Saudi military bases in Jizan
- 27/06/2015 Gunmen attack western Mali town: army spokesman
- 27/06/2015 228 injured in Taiwan park fire
- 27/06/2015 Explosion in Taiwan injures over 100
- 26/06/2015 Death toll in Kuwait's mosque attack rises to 25
- 26/06/2015 Iran, P5+1 may continue talks a few days beyond deadline: US
- 26/06/2015 Quake-ravaged Nepal receives financial commitment of 4.4 bln USD for reconstruction
- 25/06/2015 ISIS militants disguised as Kurdish fighters infiltrate Syrian town
- 25/06/2015 18 killed in air strikes, clashes with IS militants in Iraq
- 24/06/2015 Islamic State mints its own 'Islamic Dinar' coins
- 24/06/2015 Heatwave in Pakistan kills nearly 700 people - PHOTO
- 24/06/2015 Isis blows up Islamic shrines in Palmyra
- 23/06/2015 7 fishermen rescued, four missing in typhoon-hit south China
- 23/06/2015 Pakistan heatwave deaths hit urban Karachi hardest
- 22/06/2015 Taliban attack on Afghan parliament ends
- 22/06/2015 6 Afghan policemen killed in shootout with Taliban
- 22/06/2015 Thousands rally against church arson in northern Israel