US ready to confront Beijing on South China Sea: admiral

US ready to confront Beijing on South China Sea: admiral
# 14 December 2016 07:13 (UTC +04:00)

The United States is ready to confront China should it continue its overreaching maritime claims in the South China Sea, the head of the U.S. Pacific fleet said on Wednesday, comments that threaten to escalate tensions between the two global rivals, Reuters reported.

The United States has called on China to respect the findings of arbitration court in The Hague earlier this year which invalidated its vast territorial claims in the strategic waterway.

But Beijing continues to act in an "aggressive" manner, to which the United States stands ready to respond, Admiral Harry Harris, head of the U.S. Pacific Command, said in a speech in Sydney.

The United States estimates Beijing has added more than 3,200 acres (1,300 hectares) of land on seven features in the South China Sea over the past three years, building runways, ports, aircraft hangars and communications equipment.

Neighbors Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED