At least 63 people have been killed and more than 40 treated for injuries following a fire at a multistorey building in downtown Johannesburg, South Africa, APA reports citing Al-Jazeera.
Johannesburg Emergency Management Services spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said the blaze on Thursday morning had gutted a building located in the city’s central business district, and the death toll was continuing to rise with 63 bodies recovered from the site so far.
“Latest update 63 bodies recovered and 43 injured,” Mulaudzi said in a post on social media.
“Still continuing with search and recovery operation,” Mulaudzi said.
At least one child was among the dead, and those injured in the blaze are receiving treatment at “various health care facilities”, he said earlier.
There might have been as many as 200 people living in the building, witnesses said.
The cause of the fire is not yet known, according to South Africa’s News24 online news site.
At least 20 people died and 43 others were injured when a fire broke out at a building in the Johannesburg CBD, in the Republic of South on Thursday morning, APA reports citing News24.
Johannesburg Emergency Management Services spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said the fire that gutted the building at the corner of Albert and Delvers streets started around 01.30.
He said firefighters had evacuated the building's occupants on arrival.
Those who were injured in the blaze were transported to hospital and officials from the City of Johannesburg Disaster Management have been activated to start facilitating relief efforts for the affected.
The cause of the fire has not yet been established