At least two dead In Venezuela illegal mine collapse

At least two dead In Venezuela illegal mine collapse
# 21 February 2024 21:42 (UTC +04:00)

At least two people have been killed in the collapse of an illegal mine in southern Venezuela, authorities said Wednesday, as rescue efforts got underway to find other potential victims, APA reports citing AFP.

The incident happened at the "Bulla loca" mine in the state of Bolivar, where the government estimates up to 200 people were employed.

"There are two dead and two injured," the Bolivar government's secretary of citizen security, Edgar Colina Reyes, told AFP.

He said the injured had been transported to hospital in the regional capital Ciudad Bolivar, four hours from the mine.

The military, firefighters and other organizations were "moving to the area by air" to evaluate the situation, Reyes said.

Rescue teams were also being flown in from Caracas to help with the search.

"We are evaluating the damage and doing a rescue analysis," the vice minister of civil protection, Carlos Perez Ampueda, told AFP.

#
#

THE OPERATION IS BEING PERFORMED