Baku-APA. Fernando Torres rediscovered his scoring touch in a Spain shirt in a 4-0 thrashing of Ireland that makes the Irish the first side to be knocked out of Euro 2012, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
After struggling to escape Italy’s pressure in their tournament opener, Spain were able to unleash their passing game in a win that puts them on the brink of qualifying for the quarterfinals and leaves Giovanni Trappatoni’s Ireland team with no such hope.
Spain held the ball for minutes at a time, underlined by the fact that Xabi Alonso completed more passes in the first half than the entire Ireland team.
Torres hit the opener on four minutes, his first competitive goal for Spain since September 2010.
The Chelsea striker picked up the loose ball as his strike partner David Silva was felled by Sean St. Ledger and worked his way into space before unleashing a powerful strike past Shay Given.
Silva doubled Spain’s lead at the same point in the second half, picking up the ball on the rebound from a Torres shot, shifting left and right to find space and rolling the ball past three defenders and Given.
Torres grabbed his second after a perfectly-timed run behind the Spain defense on 70 minutes as he ran onto Silva’s pass.
In a sign of his growing confidence, Torres pulled off a stepover and paused slightly before slotting the ball past Given.
Cesc Fabregas replaced Torres on 74 minutes and made it four soon afterwards, darting wide to pick up the ball from Silva’s corner before jinking toward the touchline and lashing the ball past Given from a tight angle.
- 19/03/2015 Barcelona beats City 1-0 to advance to CL quarterfinals
- 19/03/2015 Juventus beats Dortmund to advance in Champions League
- 18/03/2015 Monaco knocks out Arsenal; Atletico gets by Leverkusen to reach Champions League quarterfinals
- 12/03/2015 Ten-man Paris through after stunning Chelsea
- 12/03/2015 Bayern Munich hit seven past 10-man Shakhtar Donetsk to reach last eight
- 11/03/2015 Real Madrid and Porto head to Champions League quarters
- 27/02/2015 Besiktas kicks Liverpool out on penalties
- 25/02/2015 Suarez puts Barca on top as Messi misses penalty
- 18/02/2015 Chelsea gets precious draw in Paris in Champions League
- 16/01/2015 Atletico Madrid knock neighbors Real out of Cup
- 12/01/2015 Cristiano Ronaldo wins second straight Ballon d'Or award as FIFA World Player of the Year
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 1m to Qarabagh FC
- 14/12/2014 Moscow hosts mini-football tournament devoted to memory of Tofig Bahramov - PHOTOSESSION
- 12/12/2014 Gurban Gurbanov: "There was not offside in that episode
- 11/12/2014 Karabakh FC 0 - 0 İnternazionale
- 11/12/2014 Bayern Munich edge off CSKA Moskva 3-0 in UEFA Champions League
- 28/11/2014 Pele to visit Azerbaijan
- 28/11/2014 Turkey's Galatasaray to part ways with Prandelli
- 28/11/2014 Europa League: St. Etienne 1:1 Karabakh
- 27/11/2014 European Champions League results
- 26/11/2014 European Champions League results
- 23/11/2014 Messi becomes all-time top scorer in Spanish La Liga
- 05/11/2014 Real Madrid defeat Liverpool to qualify for last 16 of Champions League
- 05/11/2014 Borussia Dortmund smash Galatasaray again - Results
- 26/10/2014 Galatasaray elects Duygun Yarsuvat as the new chairman
- 26/10/2014 Football: Fenerbahce beat Genclerbirligi in last minute
- 26/10/2014 Real Madrid outclass Barcelona after Ronaldo’s penalty turns tide
- 24/10/2014 Europa League: "Dnepr" - "Karabakh" - 0:1
- 23/10/2014 Borussia Dortmund tears apart Galatasaray 4-0
- 01/10/2014 Bayern Munich beat CSKA Moscow in Russia
- 29/09/2014 Belarusian Alexei Kulbakov named for Inter Milan-Qarabag match
- 19/09/2014 Baku to host four matches of UEFA Euro 2020
- 19/09/2014 UEFA to select hosts for Euro 2020
- 29/08/2014 Karabakh FC through to the UEFA Europa League group stage for the first time
- 28/08/2014 The UEFA Champions League group stage draw result is displayed in Monaco
- 23/08/2014 Atletico beat Real Madrid to Super Cup
- 15/08/2014 Suarez trains and is "happy to feel like a footballer again."
- 13/08/2014 Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla: Ronaldo double seals Super Cup
- 07/08/2014 Neftchi FC qualified for play-off in the Champions League
- 07/08/2014 Turkish Trabzonspor to sign Benfica's Cardozo