Baku-APA. Fernando Torres rediscovered his scoring touch in a Spain shirt in a 4-0 thrashing of Ireland that makes the Irish the first side to be knocked out of Euro 2012, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
After struggling to escape Italy’s pressure in their tournament opener, Spain were able to unleash their passing game in a win that puts them on the brink of qualifying for the quarterfinals and leaves Giovanni Trappatoni’s Ireland team with no such hope.
Spain held the ball for minutes at a time, underlined by the fact that Xabi Alonso completed more passes in the first half than the entire Ireland team.
Torres hit the opener on four minutes, his first competitive goal for Spain since September 2010.
The Chelsea striker picked up the loose ball as his strike partner David Silva was felled by Sean St. Ledger and worked his way into space before unleashing a powerful strike past Shay Given.
Silva doubled Spain’s lead at the same point in the second half, picking up the ball on the rebound from a Torres shot, shifting left and right to find space and rolling the ball past three defenders and Given.
Torres grabbed his second after a perfectly-timed run behind the Spain defense on 70 minutes as he ran onto Silva’s pass.
In a sign of his growing confidence, Torres pulled off a stepover and paused slightly before slotting the ball past Given.
Cesc Fabregas replaced Torres on 74 minutes and made it four soon afterwards, darting wide to pick up the ball from Silva’s corner before jinking toward the touchline and lashing the ball past Given from a tight angle.
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 1m to Qarabagh FC
- 14/12/2014 Moscow hosts mini-football tournament devoted to memory of Tofig Bahramov - PHOTOSESSION
- 12/12/2014 Gurban Gurbanov: "There was not offside in that episode
- 11/12/2014 Karabakh FC 0 - 0 İnternazionale
- 11/12/2014 Bayern Munich edge off CSKA Moskva 3-0 in UEFA Champions League
- 28/11/2014 Pele to visit Azerbaijan
- 28/11/2014 Turkey's Galatasaray to part ways with Prandelli
- 28/11/2014 Europa League: St. Etienne 1:1 Karabakh
- 27/11/2014 European Champions League results
- 26/11/2014 European Champions League results
- 23/11/2014 Messi becomes all-time top scorer in Spanish La Liga
- 05/11/2014 Real Madrid defeat Liverpool to qualify for last 16 of Champions League
- 05/11/2014 Borussia Dortmund smash Galatasaray again - Results
- 26/10/2014 Galatasaray elects Duygun Yarsuvat as the new chairman
- 26/10/2014 Football: Fenerbahce beat Genclerbirligi in last minute
- 26/10/2014 Real Madrid outclass Barcelona after Ronaldo’s penalty turns tide
- 24/10/2014 Europa League: "Dnepr" - "Karabakh" - 0:1
- 23/10/2014 Borussia Dortmund tears apart Galatasaray 4-0
- 01/10/2014 Bayern Munich beat CSKA Moscow in Russia
- 29/09/2014 Belarusian Alexei Kulbakov named for Inter Milan-Qarabag match
- 19/09/2014 Baku to host four matches of UEFA Euro 2020
- 19/09/2014 UEFA to select hosts for Euro 2020
- 29/08/2014 Karabakh FC through to the UEFA Europa League group stage for the first time
- 28/08/2014 The UEFA Champions League group stage draw result is displayed in Monaco
- 23/08/2014 Atletico beat Real Madrid to Super Cup
- 15/08/2014 Suarez trains and is "happy to feel like a footballer again."
- 13/08/2014 Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla: Ronaldo double seals Super Cup
- 07/08/2014 Neftchi FC qualified for play-off in the Champions League
- 07/08/2014 Turkish Trabzonspor to sign Benfica's Cardozo
- 30/07/2014 Former Brazil coach Scolari takes charge of Gremio
- 13/07/2014 World Cup 2014: Brazil 0-3 Holland
- 12/07/2014 Luis Suarez to appeal FIFA ban: Lawyer
- 12/07/2014 FIFA bans Nigeria from international football
- 11/07/2014 Russia to cancel visas for World Cup fans in 2018 for first time in history
- 10/07/2014 Rousseff urges unity after Brazil's World Cup shame
- 10/07/2014 World Cup: Argentina To Face Germany In Final
- 10/07/2014 Dutch captain Van Persie doubt for semifinal
- 09/07/2014 Germany scores five goals in 29 minutes against Brazil to set World Cup record
- 09/07/2014 Soccer-Klose scores 16th World Cup goal to break all-time record
- 06/07/2014 Sub Krul wins shoot-out for Dutch