Baku-APA. Fernando Torres rediscovered his scoring touch in a Spain shirt in a 4-0 thrashing of Ireland that makes the Irish the first side to be knocked out of Euro 2012, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
After struggling to escape Italy’s pressure in their tournament opener, Spain were able to unleash their passing game in a win that puts them on the brink of qualifying for the quarterfinals and leaves Giovanni Trappatoni’s Ireland team with no such hope.
Spain held the ball for minutes at a time, underlined by the fact that Xabi Alonso completed more passes in the first half than the entire Ireland team.
Torres hit the opener on four minutes, his first competitive goal for Spain since September 2010.
The Chelsea striker picked up the loose ball as his strike partner David Silva was felled by Sean St. Ledger and worked his way into space before unleashing a powerful strike past Shay Given.
Silva doubled Spain’s lead at the same point in the second half, picking up the ball on the rebound from a Torres shot, shifting left and right to find space and rolling the ball past three defenders and Given.
Torres grabbed his second after a perfectly-timed run behind the Spain defense on 70 minutes as he ran onto Silva’s pass.
In a sign of his growing confidence, Torres pulled off a stepover and paused slightly before slotting the ball past Given.
Cesc Fabregas replaced Torres on 74 minutes and made it four soon afterwards, darting wide to pick up the ball from Silva’s corner before jinking toward the touchline and lashing the ball past Given from a tight angle.
- 01/08/2015 “Gabala” makes a statement on the scandal in the match against "Apollo"in Cyprus
- 25/07/2015 2018 FIFA World Cup Preliminary Draw kicks off
- 25/07/2015 Tractor Sazi Tabriz FC congratulates Gabala FC - PHOTO
- 21/07/2015 FIFA vote to be held Feb 26; Blatter defies calls to go now
- 19/07/2015 Bartomeu elected for 2nd term as Barcelona president
- 10/07/2015 Gabala Vice-President: We are against such cases in the game and don’t welcome it - UPDATED
- 10/07/2015 FC Inter Baku progress to 2nd qualifying round of Europa League
- 10/07/2015 Tale Heydarov: "We achieve our goal"
- 09/07/2015 Azerbaijani fans display banners at “Gabala” - “Dynamo” match - UPDATED - PHOTO
- 09/07/2015 “Gabala” FC (Azerbaijan) defeats “Dynamo” (Georgia): 2-0 - PHOTO
- 06/07/2015 Nani signs for Fenerbahce
- 05/07/2015 Chile win 4-1 on penalties in the Copa America
- 04/07/2015 Galatasaray signs Arsenal's Lukas Podolski
- 22/06/2015 Maradona to run for FIFA presidency
- 16/06/2015 Azerbaijan, Armenia not to face in 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying round
- 12/06/2015 FIFA executive committee to convene for extraordinary meeting on July 20
- 07/06/2015 Barcelona defeats Juventus in UEFA Champions League final
- 03/06/2015 Sepp Blatter decision unrelated to corruption allegations - daughter Corinne Blatter
- 02/06/2015 FIFA secretary general embroiled in $10 million 'bribe'
- 02/06/2015 Russian sports minister comments on Blatter's intention to resign
- 02/06/2015 FIFA president Joseph Blatter to announce resignation
- 30/05/2015 Former FIFA VP Warner released
- 29/05/2015 Sepp Blatter reelected FIFA president amid scandal
- 28/05/2015 Putin: FIFA-linked arrests are US attempt to thwart Blatter re-election
- 28/05/2015 Fifa crisis: Uefa wants presidential election postponed
- 28/05/2015 Sevilla wins Europa League, beating Dnipro 3-2 as Carlos Bacca scores twice
- 27/05/2015 Switzerland launches investigation into award of 2018, 2022 world cups to Russia, Qatar
- 27/05/2015 9 FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland
- 27/05/2015 Two FIFA vice-presidents arrested over corruption charges
- 26/05/2015 Galatasaray clinch 20th Turkish title
- 24/05/2015 Dursun Ozbek becomes chairman of Galatasaray
- 07/05/2015 Messi double puts Barça in control against Bayern
- 06/05/2015 Carlos Tevez penalty gives Juventus narrow advantage against Real Madrid
- 30/04/2015 Russian FC Spartak to fine Armenian footballer for violating contract terms
- 29/04/2015 Barca on fire with 6-0 win over Getafe
- 23/04/2015 Real Madrid finally crack Atlético resolve
- 23/04/2015 Juventus edge past Monaco and into semis
- 17/04/2015 Europa League: The results of the first matches of 1/4 finals
- 16/04/2015 Suárez at the double as Barcelona beat Paris
- 16/04/2015 Porto beat Bayern 3-1 in quarter-final first leg, German side's first ever loss in Portugal