Baku-APA. Fernando Torres rediscovered his scoring touch in a Spain shirt in a 4-0 thrashing of Ireland that makes the Irish the first side to be knocked out of Euro 2012, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
After struggling to escape Italy’s pressure in their tournament opener, Spain were able to unleash their passing game in a win that puts them on the brink of qualifying for the quarterfinals and leaves Giovanni Trappatoni’s Ireland team with no such hope.
Spain held the ball for minutes at a time, underlined by the fact that Xabi Alonso completed more passes in the first half than the entire Ireland team.
Torres hit the opener on four minutes, his first competitive goal for Spain since September 2010.
The Chelsea striker picked up the loose ball as his strike partner David Silva was felled by Sean St. Ledger and worked his way into space before unleashing a powerful strike past Shay Given.
Silva doubled Spain’s lead at the same point in the second half, picking up the ball on the rebound from a Torres shot, shifting left and right to find space and rolling the ball past three defenders and Given.
Torres grabbed his second after a perfectly-timed run behind the Spain defense on 70 minutes as he ran onto Silva’s pass.
In a sign of his growing confidence, Torres pulled off a stepover and paused slightly before slotting the ball past Given.
Cesc Fabregas replaced Torres on 74 minutes and made it four soon afterwards, darting wide to pick up the ball from Silva’s corner before jinking toward the touchline and lashing the ball past Given from a tight angle.
- 28/05/2015 Putin: FIFA-linked arrests are US attempt to thwart Blatter re-election
- 28/05/2015 Fifa crisis: Uefa wants presidential election postponed
- 28/05/2015 Sevilla wins Europa League, beating Dnipro 3-2 as Carlos Bacca scores twice
- 27/05/2015 Switzerland launches investigation into award of 2018, 2022 world cups to Russia, Qatar
- 27/05/2015 9 FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland
- 27/05/2015 Two FIFA vice-presidents arrested over corruption charges
- 26/05/2015 Galatasaray clinch 20th Turkish title
- 24/05/2015 Dursun Ozbek becomes chairman of Galatasaray
- 07/05/2015 Messi double puts Barça in control against Bayern
- 06/05/2015 Carlos Tevez penalty gives Juventus narrow advantage against Real Madrid
- 30/04/2015 Russian FC Spartak to fine Armenian footballer for violating contract terms
- 29/04/2015 Barca on fire with 6-0 win over Getafe
- 23/04/2015 Real Madrid finally crack Atlético resolve
- 23/04/2015 Juventus edge past Monaco and into semis
- 17/04/2015 Europa League: The results of the first matches of 1/4 finals
- 16/04/2015 Suárez at the double as Barcelona beat Paris
- 16/04/2015 Porto beat Bayern 3-1 in quarter-final first leg, German side's first ever loss in Portugal
- 05/04/2015 Fenerbahce team bus attacked on journey home from Rizespor match
- 30/03/2015 Euro 2016 qualifiers: Germany, Portugal boost hopes
- 28/03/2015 European Championship Qualifying: Azerbaijan 2 - 0 Malta
- 19/03/2015 Barcelona beats City 1-0 to advance to CL quarterfinals
- 19/03/2015 Juventus beats Dortmund to advance in Champions League
- 18/03/2015 Monaco knocks out Arsenal; Atletico gets by Leverkusen to reach Champions League quarterfinals
- 12/03/2015 Ten-man Paris through after stunning Chelsea
- 12/03/2015 Bayern Munich hit seven past 10-man Shakhtar Donetsk to reach last eight
- 11/03/2015 Real Madrid and Porto head to Champions League quarters
- 27/02/2015 Besiktas kicks Liverpool out on penalties
- 25/02/2015 Suarez puts Barca on top as Messi misses penalty
- 18/02/2015 Chelsea gets precious draw in Paris in Champions League
- 16/01/2015 Atletico Madrid knock neighbors Real out of Cup
- 12/01/2015 Cristiano Ronaldo wins second straight Ballon d'Or award as FIFA World Player of the Year
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President allocates AZN 1m to Qarabagh FC
- 14/12/2014 Moscow hosts mini-football tournament devoted to memory of Tofig Bahramov - PHOTOSESSION
- 12/12/2014 Gurban Gurbanov: "There was not offside in that episode
- 11/12/2014 Karabakh FC 0 - 0 İnternazionale
- 11/12/2014 Bayern Munich edge off CSKA Moskva 3-0 in UEFA Champions League
- 28/11/2014 Pele to visit Azerbaijan
- 28/11/2014 Turkey's Galatasaray to part ways with Prandelli
- 28/11/2014 Europa League: St. Etienne 1:1 Karabakh
- 27/11/2014 European Champions League results