Baku-APA. Fernando Torres rediscovered his scoring touch in a Spain shirt in a 4-0 thrashing of Ireland that makes the Irish the first side to be knocked out of Euro 2012, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
After struggling to escape Italy’s pressure in their tournament opener, Spain were able to unleash their passing game in a win that puts them on the brink of qualifying for the quarterfinals and leaves Giovanni Trappatoni’s Ireland team with no such hope.
Spain held the ball for minutes at a time, underlined by the fact that Xabi Alonso completed more passes in the first half than the entire Ireland team.
Torres hit the opener on four minutes, his first competitive goal for Spain since September 2010.
The Chelsea striker picked up the loose ball as his strike partner David Silva was felled by Sean St. Ledger and worked his way into space before unleashing a powerful strike past Shay Given.
Silva doubled Spain’s lead at the same point in the second half, picking up the ball on the rebound from a Torres shot, shifting left and right to find space and rolling the ball past three defenders and Given.
Torres grabbed his second after a perfectly-timed run behind the Spain defense on 70 minutes as he ran onto Silva’s pass.
In a sign of his growing confidence, Torres pulled off a stepover and paused slightly before slotting the ball past Given.
Cesc Fabregas replaced Torres on 74 minutes and made it four soon afterwards, darting wide to pick up the ball from Silva’s corner before jinking toward the touchline and lashing the ball past Given from a tight angle.
- 24/04/2014 Benzema gives Madrid the edge against Bayern
- 23/04/2014 Club Atlético de Madrid 0-0 Chelsea FC
- 10/04/2014 Club Atlético de Madrid 1-0 FC Barcelona
- 10/04/2014 FC Bayern München 3-1 Manchester United FC
- 03/04/2014 Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 Chelsea FC
- 03/04/2014 Real Madrid defeat Borussia Dortmund 3-0 in Champions League
- 26/03/2014 Bayern Munich lift 24th German Bundesliga title
- 27/02/2014 Chedjou helps Galatasaray peg back Chelsea
- 27/02/2014 Majestic Madrid sweep Schalke aside
- 20/02/2014 Simeone encouraged by Atlético's 'solid step'
- 20/02/2014 Holders Bayern take control against Arsenal
- 17/01/2014 Supreme Court of Appeals upholds Fener chairman's prison sentence
- 08/01/2014 Balotelli to stay at AC Milan
- 16/12/2013 UEFA Champions League round of 16 draw
- 11/12/2013 Galatasaray-Juventus match delayed due to heavy snowfall
- 08/12/2013 FIFA Adjusts Russia-Belgium World Cup Kick-Off Time
- 04/12/2013 FIFA announces draw pots and procedures for 2014 World Cup
- 22/11/2013 Khazar Lankaran coach John Toschak resigns
- 11/11/2013 Barca confirm Messi to miss two months with muscle injury
- 08/11/2013 FIFA urged to introduce soccer etiquette
- 06/11/2013 FIFA President visits Iran
- 26/10/2013 Galatasaray to offer Drogba new deal
- 23/10/2013 Chelsea punish wasteful Schalke 3-0 in UEFA Champions League
- 23/10/2013 Lewandowski's late strike sinks Arsenal
- 23/10/2013 Coach of Turkey’s second-tier 1461 Trabzon dies
- 16/10/2013 Azerbaijani national football team in the qualifying round 2014 World Cup drew with Russia - 1:1
- 02/10/2013 Dortmund stun Marseille 3-0 in Champions League
- 30/09/2013 Galatasaray open talks with Roberto Mancini
- 24/09/2013 Galatasaray parts ways with coach Terim
- 21/09/2013 Michel Platini: “Ilham Aliyev wants Azerbaijan to be a world champion”
- 21/09/2013 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev receives UEFA President Michel Platini
- 20/09/2013 Azerbaijan’s capital bid for EURO-2020 confirmed
- 18/09/2013 UEFA President Michel Platini to visit Azerbaijan
- 18/09/2013 Bayern Thrashes CSKA 3-0 in Champions League Match
- 11/09/2013 Turkey defeats Romania, boosts hopes for World Cup
- 31/08/2013 Bayern defeat Chelsea on penalties in Super Cup
- 30/08/2013 Turkey's Beşiktaş, Trabzon qualify for UEFA Europa League
- 29/08/2013 Turkey’s Galatasaray to face Real Madrid, Juventus in Champions League group
- 28/08/2013 CAS approves Fenerbahçe's two-year Europe ban
- 22/08/2013 President of German Eintracht FC: “Karabakh is under the occupation of Armenia”