More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani business, culture and music combine in France’s Reims
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM reviews houses destroyed in Armenian shelling of Terter
- 27.05.2016TEAS Press publishes book titled ‘Students of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 27.05.2016Temperature to rise up to 33 C in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 26.05.2016ANAS Scientific Research Institute on Human Rights renamed
- 26.05.2016Nobel Prize winner Aziz Sancar pledges to do his utmost for development of science in whole Turkic world - INTERVIEW
- 26.05.2016UNEC Rector: Turkish World Union of Economists is new space of international scientific cooperation
- 25.05.2016UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention holds press conference on results of visit to Azerbaijan
- 25.05.2016Hearing of appeal of Leyla and Arif Yunus postponed indefinitely
- 24.05.2016“Azerbaijan Diary” book by American expert Thomas Goltz presented in Baku
- 24.05.2016Azerbaijan records first human rabies case in 2016
- 24.05.2016“Metsamor NPP poses big threat not only to Caucasus, but also to Middle East”
- 23.05.2016Mild quake hits Caspian Sea
- 22.05.2016Entrance exam on 1st and 4th specialty groups underway in Azerbaijan for past year’s graduates
- 21.05.2016Laboratory analysis of tissues from bodies of Azerbaijan plane crash victims starts
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijani IDPs treated by Korean doctors
- 20.05.2016Azerbaijan starts genetic examination of AN-12 plane crash victims
- 20.05.2016Project ‘Healthy Mind for Tomorrow’ launched in Azerbaijan’s Beylagan
- 20.05.2016EU Delegation in Azerbaijan announces drawing competition for children
- 20.05.2016Amnesty Act to apply to one-third of all prisoners in Azerbaijan – MP
- 20.05.2016Leyla Aliyeva was awarded the diploma of Honorary Professor of Moscow State University of Humanities and Economics
- 19.05.2016NTRC to equally distribute funds allocated from presidential reserve fund among private TV and radio broadcasters
- 19.05.2016Azerbaijan planning to implement pilot project on compulsory health insurance by late 2016
- 19.05.2016Ombudsman’s Office reps meet with Bayram Mammadov and Giyas Ibrahimov
- 18.05.2016Coverage of MP Mehriban Aliyeva’s amnesty initiative made public
- 17.05.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with Iran’s agriculture minister
- 17.05.2016Mehriban Aliyeva submits amnesty act to parliament
- 17.05.2016Azerbaijan makes changes to list of prohibited narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances
- 16.05.2016Azerbaijan tightens hospital admission guidelines
- 16.05.2016Azerbaijan's vice-speaker: Article on desecration of dead bodies must be added to Criminal Code
- 15.05.2016Ukraine's Jamala wins Eurovision 2016
- 14.05.2016Intensive works underway for creation of ASAN Kommunal centers
- 14.05.201670,000 UK viewers wake up to Karabakh Horses
- 14.05.2016Azerbaijani Interior Ministry makes police staff changes
- 13.05.2016Number of AIDS patients in Azerbaijan made public
- 12.05.2016New chairman of Shirvan Court of Appeal appointed
- 11.05.2016Ombudsman visits temporary detention facility of State Security Service
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijan’s grants Ministry of Justice additional powers against counter-terrorism
- 10.05.2016The sounds of mugham come to SOAS
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijan begins monitoring beaches