APA’s Europe bureau reports that the report contains a large evaluation analysis on money laundering and financing of terrorism in Europe. The organization noted the achievement of the recent considerable progresses in the member states, highly assessed the adoption of new draft laws and implementation of legal reforms towards anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism. The reports stressed that technical compliance of the member states was improved and adjusted to international norms. MONEYVAL also notes its main recommendations in the report.
The organization calls on judicial, police and security service systems to combat effectively, increase punitive measures such as the confiscation of property against money laundering and create deterrent effect against these activities. According to the report, money laundering by one third of organized criminal networks is not solved and the committers remain unpunished.
The report also covers the situation in Azerbaijan. The organization has carried out assessment on Azerbaijan, including six countries in the end of the third stage. According to this assessment, there are some deficiencies in the six countries - Azerbaijan, Croatia, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Ukraine.
The President of the organization called on the delegations of the abovementioned countries to eliminate these gaps. The identified deficiencies related to a lack of criminal liability for legal persons and failure to extend the confiscation regime to all designated categories of predicate offence. Both deficiencies have been largely addressed by the introduction of amendments to the Criminal Code. Minor issues of both deficiencies which have not been tackled by the amendments will be addressed during the on-site visit to Azerbaijan taking place in 2014.
Addressing the presentation of the annual report, Executive Secretary to MONEYVAL John Ringguth stated that they cooperated with Azerbaijan for several years: “Azerbaijan has achieved considerable progress. We will discuss the problems regarding Azerbaijan during our visit to the country next year. Moreover, we will make another evaluation report on Azerbaijan next year.”
- 31/07/2014 Richard Morningstar leaves Azerbaijan
- 31/07/2014 Polling stations at Turkish embassy and consulates in Azerbaijan opened in connection with presidential elections
- 31/07/2014 US Embassy in Azerbaijan: “We are currently unable to predict how long the delay will be”
- 31/07/2014 Pakistani ambassador to Azerbaijan holds reception on Ramadan Eid in Baku
- 30/07/2014 US Embassy: Visa-related problems to be solved soon
- 30/07/2014 Ambassador: ‘Combating terrorism and all forms of radicalism is a priority for Turkey’
- 30/07/2014 Barack Obama sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 25/07/2014 Family members of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostages by Armenians in Kalbajar address to Vladimir Putin - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/07/2014 Measures underway to prevent export of fake labeled products made in Nagorno-Karabakh to foreign countries
- 25/07/2014 Azerbaijani Embassy in Egypt to investigate whether or not Azerbaijanis are among victims of Algerian passenger plane crash
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “The United States does not want in any way to create instability or unrest in Azerbaijan”
- 24/07/2014 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “It was equally brave for Azerbaijan to commit to the Southern Gas Corridor, which will bring gas to Georgia, Turkey and on into Europe”
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “We need to stand by Azerbaijan as it strives to maintain its sovereignty and independence”
- 24/07/2014 Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations receives outgoing US Ambassador Richard Morningstar - PHOTO
- 24/07/2014 OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge Azerbaijan and Armenia to commit themselves to avoiding causalities on line of contact
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani President: If Karabakh problem is not settled justly, the regional situation will become more complicated
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani top official accuses Russian TV channel of serving insidious purposes
- 23/07/2014 Ambassador clarifies issue of whether Dilgam Asgarov taken hostage in Kalbajar is Russian citizen or not
- 23/07/2014 Iranian Ambassador to Azerbaijan calls international organizations not to remain indifferent to what is happening in Gaza Strip
- 23/07/2014 Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan: "Stability and prosperity on the European continent are major preconditions for closer cooperation"
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Goods produced in the Nagorno-Karabakh are sold by Armenia in the EU market under various fraudulent labels”
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani FM: Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable strategic partner of EU in the field of energy
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan is ready to coordinate its efforts with other international actors, especially with the European Union during the whole period of its chairmanship”.
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan has been successful in strengthening cooperation with EU based on my country’s development agenda and priorities”
- 22/07/2014 Azerbaijan International Development Agency implements humanitarian action in Benin and Chad
- 22/07/2014 Premature accusations over plane crash in Donetsk to aggravate situation – Russian ambassador
- 22/07/2014 Russian ambassador says no reason to politicize and dramatize issue regarding Orkhan Zeynalov
- 22/07/2014 British ambassador congratulates Azerbaijani journalists
- 22/07/2014 Chairman of Committee of Ministers makes statement on Malaysia Airlines plane crash
- 21/07/2014 Djibouti strongly condemns Armenia`s aggression against Azerbaijan
- 21/07/2014 AIDA represented at international donor conference in Brussels
- 21/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov to attend Eastern Partnerhsip Foreign Ministers meeting
- 21/07/2014 President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Norm concrete plant - PHOTO
- 19/07/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates King of Belgium
- 19/07/2014 Malaysian Chargé d'affaires to Azerbaijan: We want a detailed and objective investigation of plane crash - INTERVIEW
- 18/07/2014 Foreign Ministry calls on the UK authorities to refrain from irrelevant interference in the internal affairs of Azerbaijan
- 18/07/2014 11 Azerbaijani citizens evacuated from Gaza
- 18/07/2014 Malaysian embassy in Azerbaijan to open Memory Book of aircraft crash victims
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijan - important partner of EU in field of energy, Lithuanian president says
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Dutch Prime Minister