Details of the terrorist attack on the Azerbaijani embassy in Iran

Details of the terrorist attack on the Azerbaijani embassy in Iran
# 06 February 2023 17:54 (UTC +04:00)

On January 27, 2023, as a result of a terrorist attack against the embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the Islamic Republic of Iran, the head of the security service of the embassy, Orkhan Asgarov was shot dead, two employees, Vasif Taghiyev and Mahir Imanov were seriously injured, Aykhan Hajizade, head of the press service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, said today at a briefing, APA reports.

"Embassy surveillance cameras recorded the entire incident. So, before the terrorist attack on January 27, 2023, at 08:05 and 08:24, the terrorist drove twice in front of the embassy in his car in order to choose the right moment to commit the crime.

At 08:32, just after the embassy staff entered through the main entrance doors of the administrative building of the diplomatic mission, the terrorist, while driving a vehicle, deliberately crashed into the official car of the mission parked in front of the embassy. Taking advantage of the fact that the embassy employee, who reacted to the sound, opened the door of the representative office, the terrorist took out an automatic weapon from the car, made a sign to the Iranian police officer at the post at the front door, and immediately entered the embassy building.

At 08:34, 2 minutes after the terrorist entered the embassy building, an Iranian police car drove up to the embassy, but after a few seconds of talking with the policeman who was on duty near the front door, left the territory. For 4 minutes, that is, until 08:36, the terrorist fired at our employees inside the embassy administrative building, as a result of which the embassy employee Orkhan Asgarov died on the spot from a gunshot wound, and another employee Mahir Imanov was seriously wounded in his right arm and left leg. An embassy employee, Vasif Taghiyev, attacked the terrorist in order to neutralize him. While the embassy employee was neutralizing the terrorist, he fired from a machine gun and wounded the employee in the shoulder. Despite this, he continued to fight the terrorist and managed to pull out the magazine from the machine gun, which was in the hands of the terrorist. At this time, the terrorist took out a pistol, which he hid in his jacket, and shot Taghiyev in the jaw (later, when inspecting the territory of the embassy, a Colt pistol of the terrorist was found). Despite the injury, V. Taghiyev was able to force the criminal out of the embassy building.

Despite the fact that the terrorist broke into the embassy building, shots and shouts of V. Taghiyev were continuously heard from inside the building asking for help in neutralizing the terrorist, the Iranian police officer, who was on duty at the front door, not only did not intervene in the incident but even left his post and left the territory.

The terrorist, expelled from the embassy building, took out a spare magazine from his jacket pocket, inserted it into the machine gun, and twice showed someone a sign with his hand, after which, threatening and using offensive language, opened continuous fire at the front door of the embassy, as well as at the windows of apartments, where family members of diplomats lived. During this time, the terrorist twice set fire to the wheels of a car with a combustible substance in order to set fire to the transport belonging to the embassy.

Seeing that the front door was strong and difficult to open with automatic weapons, the terrorist tried to break the door with a heavy tool taken from the trunk of his car, and he entered the embassy a second time to kill the diplomats and their families. V. Taghiyev threw a fire extinguisher at the terrorist, who, having opened fire, tried to climb to the second floor of the embassy and wounded him in the head (surveillance cameras did not capture this moment), as a result, the terrorist was forced to leave the building.

Going out into the street, the terrorist once again made a sign with his hand to some people standing at a distance and put the machine gun on the ground, but the police did not approach him. Taking advantage of the fact that the police again did not intervene in the incident, the terrorist tried to set fire to the car of our representative office, standing in front of our embassy, taking a Molotov cocktail from his car. At this time, the terrorist inadvertently set himself on fire, and the police immediately intervened in the matter. At the same time, the police were in no hurry to arrest the terrorist, started negotiations with him, did not treat him like a criminal, and took a wait-and-see attitude. The terrorist took advantage of this, and wandered around the territory for some time, while threatening and insulting the diplomats of our embassy, saying: "I will kill you all." The police did not react to this either. After that, the terrorist freely approached the embassy building and, picking up a heavy tool from the ground in front of the policemen, with which he broke the door, put it in the car.

After that, the terrorist insisted that V. Taghhiev, who demanded his arrest through the window, go downstairs, and when V. Taghiyev went down, he threatened him again and wanted to attack him.

Only after all this, the police handcuffed the terrorist, put him in a car, and left the area. At this time, an unknown person in a mask took unknown objects from the terrorist's car and left the scene.

I would like to note that in recent days in some social networks and media resources there have been inaccurate comments regarding the chronology of the terrorist attack. The main reason for this was incorrect references to timing in the videos. In this regard, we inform you that the time on the cameras of the embassy facing the street is 24 minutes behind the real-time. This is due to some technical factors.

The fact that the terrorist chose Friday, a public holiday in Iran, to carry out the attack (in order to minimize the circumstances that could prevent the attack), and brought with him to the scene a spare magazine full of cartridges, a Colt pistol, a Molotov cocktail ”, heavy tools and other means, as well as the fact that the Iranian police did not intervene in the attack, suggests that the incident was planned in advance."