Ferrer ends Nadal’s bid for fourth consecutive grand slam title
Hampered by a thigh strain from the start of Wednesday’s quarterfinal, the nine-time grand slam champion was visibly suffering as he went down 6-4 6-2 6-3 at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena to his Davis Cup teammate.
Ferrer’s triumph -- his fourth over Nadal from 15 encounters -- will now see the 28-year-old play in just his second grand slam semifinal, following his appearance in the last four of the U.S. Open in 2007.
The world number seven will face Britain’s Andy Murray for a place in the final of the opening grand slam of 2011, after the world number five beat unseeded Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov in the earlier match.
The result also means the end to 24-year-old Nadal’s quest to become the first man since Australia’s Rod Laver in 1969, to win four consecutive grand slam titles.
Nadal was clearly affected by a thigh problem during the match but, despite receiving off-court treatment after just the third game, refused to blame the loss on his injury.
The Mallorcan was instead full of praise for his opponent, who broke serve in the opening game on his way to taking the first set, when his spoke to reporters after the match.
"For respect to the winner and to a friend, I prefer to talk about the match," Nadal said.
I really couldn’t do more. He played at a very high level, and I wasn’t able to compete against him tonight.
"It is obvious that I didn’t feel at my best. I had a problem during the match, at the very beginning. I really couldn’t do more than what I did. He played at a very high level, and I wasn’t able to compete against him tonight."
Nadal showed flashes of his usual brilliance but any chance of a comeback in the second set was suppressed by Ferrer, who after a 10-minute break in proceedings for an Australia Day fireworks display, secured a double break of serve to lead the match by two sets to love.
Ferrer then raced to a 3-0 lead in what was to be the third and final set, before wrapping up the ultimately one-sided contest in just over two and a half hours.
"I just congratulate him and wish him all the best for the semifinal. I think he’s doing a fantastic tournament," Nadal added. "If he keeps playing like this, he’s going to have a good chance."
But Ferrer, who is unbeaten so far this season having won the Australian Open warm-up tournament in Auckland, New Zealand, said he could not be complacent if he wants to beat the in-form Murray.
"I played very consistently all the three sets and I was focused just in my game. I want to enjoy this moment," Ferrer told the official ATP Tour website.
"I will try to do my best, but I need to play very consistently, stay very focused all the match, because Andy’s a top player."
Murray dropped his first set of the tournament so far to world number 46 Dolgopolov, before eventually winning 7-5 6-3 6-7 6-3.
The 22-year-old Dolgopolov has been a revelation in Australia, defeating 2008 runner-up Jo Wilfred Tsonga and two-time French Open finalist Robin Soderling on the way to his first grand slam quarterfinal.
"I thought I dealt with his game well. It was just difficult to get into a rhythm. I did quite a lot of running," Murray said.
It was a tough match. I thought I dealt with it pretty well.
"He won a lot of free points off his first serve. It was a tough match. I thought I dealt with it pretty well."
Murray is aiming to reach his second consecutive final in Melbourne after losing to Roger Federer in 2010, and the third grand slam final of his career after also facing the Swiss in the 2008 U.S. Open final.
But the 23-year-old, who is also trying to become the first Briton to win a major title since Fred Perry in 1936, conceded that his quarterfinal opponent could prove a threat to him in future competitions.
"With his game style, he’s going to give a lot of guys problems. He might be a little bit inconsistent from time to time but when his game’s on, I’m sure he’ll get deep into grand slams and the big tournaments just because of how tricky his game is," the Scot added.
In the other semifinal defending champion Roger Federer will play third seed Novak Djokovic, after both made it through their quarterfinal ties on Thursday.
World number two Federer is aiming to claim his 17th grand slam title, while the 23-year-old Serb is gunning for his second after winning in Australia in 2008.
NEWS FEED
Iran says Ukraine has yet to pay compensation for Caspian Sea ship attack
Azerbaijani media representatives familiarize themselves with operations of Uzbekistan’s TEXNOPARK - PHOTO
Five more missing martyrs of First Karabakh War to be buried
Two killed, ten injured in Russian attacks on Zaporizhzhia
US, UAE discuss regional security, Strait of Hormuz
US, South Korea to cut joint military drills short
Azerbaijani oil price exceeds $94
Gold and silver prices fall in commodity markets
UN: 350 aid workers killed in 2025 as humanitarian work remains increasingly dangerous
Trump pauses 50% Canada tariffs for 3-day period
UAE halts trade, financial transactions with Iran — Foreign Ministry
Trump threatens Oman over planned deal with Iran on Strait of Hormuz — AP
US charges 17 Iranians with a large-scale cyber campaign
Fenerbahce and Lyon share the points in 1-1 draw
Pentagon weighing a smaller US military presence in the Gulf once the Iran war ends
US announces new sanctions on top ICC figures
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
Chadayev resigned from his position as advisor to the Russian Minister of Transport after provocation against Azerbaijan
Iran security chief mocks Trump’s Hormuz claim as ‘too far from reality’
Araghchi: President Pezeshkian's phone call with the President of Azerbaijan completely changed the situation
Germany to extend border controls due to Ceuta crisis
Trump says no talks planned with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut
US expands Venezuela sanctions list
Trump, Vance 'not on same page' on Iran
Viktor Yushchenko says he held sincere and substantive meeting with President Ilham Aliyev, thanks Azerbaijani leader
Azerbaijani media representatives visit famous Chorsu Bazaar in Tashkent - PHOTO
Azerbaijani ambassador presents credentials to Turkish Foreign Ministry
Trump says US is not holding talks with Iran
AYNA: 1,030 freight vehicles are in live queue at Red Bridge customs post
NCA: Cyberattack attempts recorded against user accounts of some organizations in Azerbaijan
State Customs Committee: Azerbaijan and Georgia to take measures to ease truck congestion at border-VIDEO
Four Killed, ten injured in minibus crash in Türkiye's central province Sivas
US envoy says Washington ‘deeply concerned’ over Israeli airstrikes on Syrian airbase
Aragchi's deputy responds to Trump's territorial claim over Strait of Hormuz: We will soon correct the illusions
Ambassador: I look forward to strengthening strategic partnership between UK and Azerbaijan
Trump posts image calling Strait of Hormuz ‘new US territory’ - PHOTO
President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of newly appointed UK Ambassador to Azerbaijan
UN says only three percent of Gaza cropland accessible and undamaged
Azerbaijani media representatives visit National Children’s Medical Center in Uzbekistan
Official Kyiv: 12 killed in Russia's overnight attacks on Ukraine
Hamas remains committed to Gaza deal after Kushner talks in Israel: Report
Syria state media says three dead in blast at coastal power plant
Russian Ambassador summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
Another provocation from Russia: Officials also dragged into journalists’ venture
Azercell’s “Offline Women” project receives international Stevie® Award
Forecasts for state budget deficit by year-end announced
Hormuz to remain closed until US meets deal terms, Ghalibaf says
Forecast for Azerbaijan’s non-oil and gas GDP growth revised
Finance Ministry: Azerbaijan’s public debt projected to reach AZN 27.6 billion by year-end