President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 28.11.2015Azerbaijan can always rely on Belarus – Lukashenko
- 28.11.2015President Aliyev: Azerbaijan sees positive dynamics in all directions of cooperation with Belarus
- 28.11.2015Official welcoming ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Minsk
- 28.11.2015Azerbaijani president visits Victory Square in Minsk
- 28.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Belarus on an official visit
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijan concerned over tension between Turkey, Russia, says President Aliyev
- 27.11.2015BTK project will soon be completed – Turkish FM
- 27.11.2015Turkey FM calls recent incident in Baku ‘terror’
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijan, Turkish, Georgian FMs to meet by end of 2015
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijan ready to do its utmost to eliminate tension between Turkey, Russia
- 27.11.2015OSCE media freedom representative condemns assault on journalists in Azerbaijan
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijan expresses protest to Russian TV channel
- 27.11.2015Turkish FM embarks on visit to Azerbaijan
- 26.11.2015Eastern Partnership Informal Ministerial Dialogue ends
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijani minister of emergency situations meets with Georgian interior minister
- 26.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives member of French government Andre Vallini
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijani president receives Georgian interior minister
- 26.11.20156th Informal Eastern Partnership dialogue meeting kicks off in Tbilisi
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan continues fights against Islamophobia, says President Aliyev
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijani president: Destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘vandalism’
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan becomes active member of ISESCO – President Aliyev
- 26.11.2015ISESCO condemns occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan stands ready to contribute to reducing Turkish-Russian tension
- 26.11.2015Islamic solidarity must be strengthened – ISESCO
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijani FM leaves for Georgia
- 26.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev presents Order of Friendship to ISESCO director general
- 26.11.2015French junior minister for territorial reform arrives in Azerbaijan
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijani president attends opening of 12th session of ISESCO General Conference
- 26.11.2015Turkish FM Mevlut Cavusoglu to arrive in Azerbaijan today
- 25.11.2015Rashad Mammadov recalled from post of Consulate General of Azerbaijan to Aktau
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan recalls ambassadors from Estonia, UAE, Argentina, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan’s permanent representative to UN Office and other int’l organizations in Geneva recalled
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan recalls consul general from Istanbul
- 25.11.2015BTK will turn Azerbaijan into regional transport hub, says Latvian minister
- 25.11.2015Latvian-Azerbaijani relations stand at high-level – ambassador
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan’s emergency situations minister receives Latvian economy minister
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijani FM to attend 6th Informal Eastern Partnership Dialogue meeting
- 25.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives ISESCO Director General
- 25.11.2015Kazakh first deputy FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2015U.S. attaches importance to partnership with Azerbaijan