APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 02/09/2014 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 02/09/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives German delegation
- 02/09/2014 Azerbaijani MFA: Reports on changes to simplified visa regime between Azerbaijan and Turkey groundless
- 02/09/2014 Azerbaijani Ambassador to Lithuania: Dalia Kuodyte’s visit to Azerbaijan’s occupied territory triggered serious public condemnation in the country itself
- 02/09/2014 Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 02/09/2014 Georgian ministers of foreign affairs and energy to visit Baku
- 02/09/2014 Lithuania’s position which is expressed in effective international treaties remains unchanged - Lithuanian Embassy in Azerbaijan
- 02/09/2014 Iranian Ambassador to Azerbaijan: Hassan Rouhani’s visit to Azerbaijan to open up new stage in bilateral relations - INTERVIEW
- 02/09/2014 Elkhan Suleymanov: The main target of terror groups in Iraq and Syria is Islamic religion and islamic values - INTERVIEW
- 02/09/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry announces details of visa facilitation agreement with EU
- 01/09/2014 Azerbaijani president congratulates new president of Council of EU
- 01/09/2014 Mubariz Gurbanli: Armenia occupied Azerbaijani lands, this conflict is not religious in character
- 01/09/2014 Azerbaijan-EU visa facilitation and readmission agreements come into force
- 01/09/2014 Turkish Minister for EU Affairs: You can be sure that I’ll defend Azerbaijan’s interests on all platforms
- 01/09/2014 PACE to discuss results of co-rapporteurs’ visit to Baku
- 01/09/2014 We cannot force society to become more tolerant, CoE Deputy Secretary General says
- 01/09/2014 Turkish Education Minister: New prospects for our cooperation with Azerbaijan will be determined after President Erdogan's visit
- 01/09/2014 State Committee Chairman: Armenia's aggressive policy is not an aggression of a European country against the other, but a serious threat to peace and security
- 01/09/2014 Mövlud Çavuşoğlu: We will fight together with fraternal Azerbaijan against the so-called ‘Armenian Genocide’
- 30/08/2014 Turkish Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “We will never accept any political manipulation of history”
- 30/08/2014 Turkish Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “All should know that no one will benefit of any hostile approach to Turkey and Azerbaijan”
- 29/08/2014 Azerbaijani president makes phone call with new Turkish PM
- 29/08/2014 Elman Abdullayev: ‘The last statements by the U.S. State Department Spokesperson regarding Azerbaijan is unfounded and unacceptable’
- 29/08/2014 Embassy of Estonia opened in Azerbaijan
- 28/08/2014 Embassy: The California Senate’s resolution on Nagorno-Karabakh doesn’t reflect the U.S. policy
- 28/08/2014 Azerbaijani embassy in Serbia: Armenian media has prepared a photomontage in order to deteriorate Azerbaijan-Serbia relations
- 28/08/2014 Embassy of Serbia in Azerbaijan issues statement on incidents against Partizan football club
- 28/08/2014 Elkhan Suleymanov: ‘Political prisoners campaign against Azerbaijan is controlled by a single center’
- 28/08/2014 Foreign Ministry: Third countries cannot deteriorate Azerbaijan’s relations with its neighbors
- 28/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: “Resettlement of Yezidi Kurds in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan violates the Geneva Convention”
- 28/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: “The resolution adopted by the California State Senate is nothing more than a piece of paper”
- 28/08/2014 Turkish Ambassador: “We will always reiterate the value of our friendship, but that doesn’t mean any change in our position”
- 28/08/2014 British Ambassador to visit Gabala and Sheki
- 27/08/2014 Charge d’ Affaires of Egypt: “While fanaticism and extremism are gaining grounds in other parts of the world, Azerbaijan has become a model to be followed”
- 27/08/2014 UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights announces its recommendations and suggestions on Azerbaijan
- 27/08/2014 Serbian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 26/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Moldovan president
- 26/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Minister receives Ambassador of Poland
- 26/08/2014 Turkish President phones Azerbaijani President
- 26/08/2014 Minister Elmar Mammadyarov receives Ambassador of Slovak Republic