APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 20/12/2014 A brief excursus into U.S-Azerbaijani relations and reflections on future
- 19/12/2014 Ambassador: We hope Azerbaijan will invest in Moldovan economy - INTERVIEW
- 19/12/2014 Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia has deployed Japan-made military hardware in Nagorno-Karabakh, acquiring it through a third side
- 19/12/2014 Ambassador: 2014 has been extremely fruitful and significant in terms of Azerbaijani-Georgian relations
- 19/12/2014 Georgian ambassador: Progress will soon be achieved toward border delimitation and demarcation, the matter will be settled
- 18/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Secretary General of Socialist International
- 18/12/2014 Series of events proposed to be held in Turkic-speaking countries on 25th anniversary of Karabakh incidents
- 18/12/2014 TURKPA Secretary General: Azerbaijan plays significant role in establishment and development of Turkic peoples’ union
- 18/12/2014 Turkey’s representative to UNESCO: I hope Armenian delegation will evaluate Azerbaijan’s generosity and avoid confrontation
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Emir of Qatar
- 17/12/2014 US does not provide any assistance to separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives BP Group Chief Executive
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 17/12/2014 US Embassy: We eagerly await Cekuta’s arrival in Azerbaijan
- 17/12/2014 Ambassador: Armenia’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union unlikely to affect Azerbaijan-Belarus relations
- 17/12/2014 US Senate confirms Robert Cekuta as ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 17/12/2014 Foreign Ministry: Azerbaijan, as a country suffering from terrorism, condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations
- 16/12/2014 Ambassador: "Next year is Nursultan Nazarbayev's turn to visit Azerbaijan"
- 16/12/2014 Polad Bulbuloglu: No country would compromise its national interests and territorial integrity to another
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijani parliament raises issue of using Azerbaijani language at international organizations
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Kazakh counterpart
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates King of Bahrain
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Deputy Prime Minister of Poland
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Maltese PM
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Armenia has turned Gevorgyan’s family into a baseless tool for propaganda beyond moral, ethical, legal and humane values
- 15/12/2014 Maltese PM embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 13/12/2014 PACE winter session agenda made public
- 13/12/2014 Etienne Mahcupyan: Turkey’s making concessions in issues of Armenian genocide and opening of borders is impossible
- 13/12/2014 Venice Commission adopts opinion to law on NGOs of Azerbaijan
- 12/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives President of International Equestrian Federation
- 12/12/2014 Azerbaijan, Georgia to construct two border checkpoints – Deputy FM
- 12/12/2014 Azerbaijan will remain a country of strategic importance to NATO - James Appathurai
- 11/12/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Speaker of Serbian National Assembly
- 11/12/2014 Serbian National Assembly President: During our OSCE chairmanship, we’ll do our utmost for Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 11/12/2014 Azer Gasimov: ‘I again urge the US State Department to focus attention on apparent and flagrant violation of democratic principles in its country’
- 11/12/2014 Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish FMs sign Kars Statement
- 10/12/2014 Georgia to host next trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish FMs
- 10/12/2014 Polad Bulbuloglu: Azerbaijani citizens coming to Russia for employment should be aware of changes in country’s migration legislation
- 10/12/2014 Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Kars - PHOTO