APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 23/08/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Petro Poroshenko on Independence Day of Ukraine
- 23/08/2014 British Ambassadors to Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia and Consul General in Turkey meet in Baku
- 22/08/2014 Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on September 3
- 22/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry calls on U.S. and France not to be biased while expressing condolences and concerns
- 22/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Commander of the United States Transportation Command
- 22/08/2014 Azerbaijani Ambassador to Latvia: “Our goal is to achieve the Latvian Parliament’s giving a legal assessment to the occupation of Azerbaijani lands and Khojaly genocide”
- 22/08/2014 Ukrainian Foreign Minister receives Honorary Consul of Azerbaijan to Kharkiv
- 21/08/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov receives Commander of United States Transportation Command
- 21/08/2014 Ambassador: “Italy’s position on the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is an important element of our bilateral relations” - INTERVIEW
- 20/08/2014 Iraqi Embassy in Azerbaijan: “We urge our citizens and Yezidi Kurds not to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20/08/2014 PACE Monitoring Committee to hear Azerbaijani co-rapporteurs’ reports
- 19/08/2014 New press secretary appointed to U.S. embassy in Azerbaijan
- 18/08/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Hamid Karzai on Independence Day of Afghanistan
- 18/08/2014 Javad Heyat’s assistant: “The testament in the Iranian Embassy in Azerbaijan is old” - UPDATED
- 15/08/2014 Erdogan says he will pay his first foreign visit to Azerbaijan
- 13/08/2014 Ali Hasanov: ‘The Azerbaijani President raised the issue of returning the hostages from Kalbajar during the Sochi meeting’
- 13/08/2014 Turkish President’s Advisor: “Reports that Turkey will open the border with Armenia in September are groundless”
- 13/08/2014 British MP appeals to UK Minister for Europe about Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenian separatists
- 12/08/2014 Czech Republic recommends its citizens not to visit Nagorno-Karabakh and villages along Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to his Iranian counterpart
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev invites Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan
- 11/08/2014 Foreign Ministry calls Poland to avoid unwarrantedly intervening in Azerbaijan’s internal affairs
- 11/08/2014 Sergei Lavrov: ‘The Karabakh conflict will not prevent Armenia's accession to the Customs Union’
- 11/08/2014 Turkish Foreign Minister visits Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in battles with Armenians
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Recep Tayyip Erdogan on occasion of his victory in presidential election
- 10/08/2014 A joint meeting of the Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia was held in Sochi
- 09/08/2014 Azerbaijani and Russian Presidents meet in Sochi - UPDATED - PHOTOSESSION
- 09/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev: “The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict lasted too long and needs to be resolved”
- 08/08/2014 Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia - PHOTO
- 08/08/2014 Azerbaijani President signs order on some measures on Azerbaijan hosting First European Games
- 08/08/2014 Kremlin disseminates information on Russian president’s meeting with Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents
- 07/08/2014 German MP: “Armenian occupation politics must be ended” - INTERVIEW
- 07/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev received a delegation led by the Minister of Defence of Latvia
- 07/08/2014 Mahmoud Vaezi: “The Iranian President is pursuing a line of improving its relations with Azerbaijan and eliminating existing problems”
- 06/08/2014 Azerbaijani President, Supreme Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces Ilham Aliyev visits frontline
- 05/08/2014 OSCE PA South Caucasus Representative urges fresh commitment from all sides to Nagorno-Karabakh resolution
- 05/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives a delegation led by the Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology
- 05/08/2014 Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister to visit NATO headquarters
- 05/08/2014 NATO is concerned about existing tension on contact line
- 05/08/2014 Ambassador: ‘NATO highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s support to ISAF operations’