APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 31/10/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Algerian counterpart
- 31/10/2014 Azerbaijani delegation on visit to US to observe House of Representatives elections
- 31/10/2014 Elkhan Suleymanov: New approach on so-called political prisoners issue will open the eyes of Europe
- 31/10/2014 AIDA conducts humanitarian aid campaign in Pakistan - PHOTOSESSION
- 30/10/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Croatia’s First Deputy PM
- 30/10/2014 VOA Armenian service removes biased video-interview on Nagorno-Karabakh from website
- 29/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev received the Minister of State for Youth Affairs of Kuwait
- 29/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives UN representatives
- 29/10/2014 Azerbaijani Embassy in US to investigate introduction of Nagorno Karabakh as part of Armenia on MasterCard’s website
- 29/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev: UN Security Council’s resolution is sometimes fulfilled within a day, and in some cases it still remains on paper
- 28/10/2014 Azerbaijani President ends his working visit to France
- 28/10/2014 British PM's Envoy: “FID on Shahdeniz will provide European energy security and diversity on energy supply” - PHOTO
- 28/10/2014 Emergency Situations Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives ambassador of Qatar to Azerbaijan
- 28/10/2014 Polish minister of agriculture to visit Azerbaijan
- 28/10/2014 Ukraine wants to establish close cooperation with Azerbaijan in field of youth policy
- 28/10/2014 AIDA director meets UN Deputy Assistant Administrator
- 27/10/2014 Azerbaijani ambassador to Ecuador takes office
- 27/10/2014 French, Armenian presidents meet in Paris
- 27/10/2014 Azad Rahimov meets with UN Secretary General
- 27/10/2014 Azerbaijani, French presidents stress importance of liberating occupied territories - UPDATED
- 27/10/2014 Azerbaijani Interior Minister on official visit to Israel
- 27/10/2014 Armenia refuses to attend Global Forum on Youth Policies in Azerbaijan
- 25/10/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Terrorism is an integral part of Armenia's national policy
- 25/10/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Turkmen President
- 25/10/2014 Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Austrian President
- 25/10/2014 President of Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland: “We highly appreciate interest of Azerbaijan in cooperation with European organizations”
- 24/10/2014 Azerbaijani FM receives President of European Court of Human Rights
- 24/10/2014 Kyrgyzstan to open embassy in Azerbaijan
- 24/10/2014 Malaysia has always supported Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabkah conflict – Ambassador
- 23/10/2014 Czech president to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 23/10/2014 AIDA, IOM to implement joint projects in African countries
- 23/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives President of European Shooting Confederation and Russian Shooting Union
- 23/10/2014 Azerbaijani President receives credentials of newly-appointed Serbian Ambassador
- 23/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives German FM
- 23/10/2014 German FM: We looking forward to upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents in Paris
- 23/10/2014 Azerbaijan important country for us, German FM says
- 23/10/2014 US Embassy welcomes Azerbaijani Government steps
- 22/10/2014 Lithuanian FM: ‘We are thinking of using bilateral dialogue to increase the effectiveness of Azerbaijan-EU cooperation’
- 22/10/2014 Azerbaijani first lady Mehriban Aliyeva receives Astrakhan Oblast Order of Merit
- 22/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Ambassador of Qatar to Azerbaijan