APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 03/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Barack Obama on US Independence Day
- 03/07/2015 Azerbaijani delegation head says PACE must respond immediately to Armenia’s obstacles to rapporteurs
- 02/07/2015 Robert Cekuta: “US wants to strengthen relations with Azerbaijan”
- 02/07/2015 Arsons in areas bordering with Iran pose problems for agriculture, says ambassador INTERVIEW
- 02/07/2015 Azerbaijani delegation to attend OSCE PA summer session
- 02/07/2015 Azerbaijan expresses protest to UK - UPDATED
- 01/07/2015 Azerbaijan invites OSCE PA to observe upcoming parliamentary elections
- 01/07/2015 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry removes Serbian journalist’s name from list of undesirable persons
- 01/07/2015 OSCE says termination of PCiB does not prejudice cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 01/07/2015 Australian-Azerbaijani parliamentary group established at Australian parliament
- 30/06/2015 Azerbaijani president congratulates Canadian governor-general
- 30/06/2015 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry condemns terrorist attack in Kuwait
- 30/06/2015 Azerbaijan condemns terrorist attack on Egypt's attorney general
- 29/06/2015 Samad Seyidov: For Council of Europe, issue of human rights has become instrument of political pressure
- 29/06/2015 Some Armenians having fun abroad, while others suffering home instead of them – Azerbaijani official
- 29/06/2015 Azerbaijan once again demonstrated to world its development in sport field – Kazakh ambassador
- 28/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev meets with Bulgarian President visiting Azerbaijan to participate in closing ceremony of European Games
- 28/06/2015 Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 27/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives Secretary General of Socialist International
- 27/06/2015 Russian Federal Council committee chairman: West’s such actions against Azerbaijan are unfair and unacceptable
- 27/06/2015 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of European Olympic Committees
- 27/06/2015 Chairman of Liechtenstein parliament embarks on Azerbaijan visit
- 26/06/2015 State Duma chairman Sergey Naryshkin arrives in Azerbaijan
- 26/06/2015 AK Party names Ismet Yilmaz as speaker candidate
- 26/06/2015 Ukrainian embassy: Vladimir Aryev’s views on Azerbaijan are his personal position
- 26/06/2015 Samad Seyidov: We are seriously thinking about events occurred in PACE session
- 26/06/2015 Azerbaijani President confers “Dostlug” order on co-chair of Nizami Ganjavi International Centre Ismail Serageldin
- 26/06/2015 Members of Verkhovna Rada: We apologize to Azerbaijan
- 26/06/2015 Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "Ferguson and Baltimore events show that human rights situation is not good in the USA
- 26/06/2015 Indonesia’s National Commission on Human Rights welcomes ECHR’s judgment on case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 26/06/2015 U.S. Department of State publicizes 2014 Human Rights Report
- 26/06/2015 Azerbaijani MFA: "Resolution adopted by PACE On June 23, is another example of groundless and preconceived approach against Azerbaijan"
- 25/06/2015 Azerbaijani President receives former Latvian President
- 25/06/2015 Mass protests in Armenia – rebellion against Sargsyan regime, says Azerbaijani president’s aide
- 25/06/2015 CoE position questions Azerbaijan’s future membership in this organization, official says
- 25/06/2015 Elkhan Suleymanov: Representatives of democracy and freedom house supported occupation and aggressor during PACE summer session
- 25/06/2015 Azerbaijan wants unbiased position from new co-rapporteur, says delegation head
- 25/06/2015 PACE appoints new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan
- 25/06/2015 Novruz Mammadov: If even 1/10 of what has been happening in Yerevan occurred in Baku, those who “care” about us would go on talking about it for a month
- 24/06/2015 Azerbaijan newspaper: Germany today: a hegemon or a vassal?