APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 23/05/2015 What are the moments related to Azerbaijan in the final Declaration of the Riga Summit? - UPDATED
- 23/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: “Azerbaijan is becoming a factor to be reckoned with on a global scale”
- 22/05/2015 Azerbaijan not to participate in a workshop of NATO Parliamentary Assembly
- 22/05/2015 Ziyafet Asgerov: EU showed in Riga summit that it pursues double standard policy against Azerbaijan
- 22/05/2015 Poroshenko: Azerbaijan’s remarks on final declaration were not related to Ukraine
- 22/05/2015 Azerbaijan looking forward to increased support of EU to realization of South Gas Corridor Project – FM
- 22/05/2015 Novruz Mammadov: If proposals overlooked, Azerbaijan will state its position on cooperating with EU
- 22/05/2015 Mogherini: Though EU does not have high-level partnership with countries, not signing association agreement, it is beneficial for both sides
- 22/05/2015 “Baku rhythms in the heart of Riga” exhibition opens in Riga - PHOTO
- 21/05/2015 King of Sweden congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 21/05/2015 King of Netherlands congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on National Holiday
- 21/05/2015 Novruz Mammadov: Mutual interests should be taken into account in cooperation between EU and Eastern Partnership countries
- 21/05/2015 Newly-elected UK parliament reminded of Azerbaijan’s IDP tragedy
- 21/05/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives Deputy Prime Minister of Belarus
- 21/05/2015 Novruz Mammadov: Some circles in West, Europe don’t demonstrate fair approach toward Azerbaijan
- 21/05/2015 Putin confers Order of Honor on Polad Bulbuloglu
- 21/05/2015 Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences to Azerbaijani president over fatal Baku fire outbreak
- 21/05/2015 European Council President Donald Tusk has phone conversation with President Ilham Aliyev
- 21/05/2015 Queen Elizabeth II sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 21/05/2015 Azerbaijani deputy FM: To push Armenia toward peace, international community should put end to double standards
- 21/05/2015 Azerbaijan presents draft agreement on strategic partnership to EU
- 21/05/2015 May 28th proclaimed as “Azerbaijan National Day” in the U.S. State of Nevada
- 20/05/2015 EOC president offers condolences to Azerbaijan’s first lady Mehriban Aliyeva
- 20/05/2015 Azerbaijani president’s decision not to join Riga summit explained - EXCLUSIVE
- 20/05/2015 US embassy warns of 2015 Diversity Visa Lottery fraud
- 20/05/2015 Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani president will not participate in Riga summit
- 20/05/2015 Latvia’s ex-president: As long as Russia is UNSC permanent member, conflicts unlikely to be resolved by UN
- 19/05/2015 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: "There are many nuances related to tolerance which the world should take an example from Azerbaijan"
- 19/05/2015 Altay Efendiyev recalled from his post as Azerbaijani ambassador to Spain and Andorra
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Algeria
- 19/05/2015 US ambassador to Azerbaijan visits Guba Memorial Complex
- 19/05/2015 Settlement of frozen conflicts to be reflected in Riga summit declaration
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijani FM: Withdrawal of Armenia’s troops from occupied territories can be significant confidence building measure
- 19/05/2015 CoE secretary general extends condolences to families of those killed in Baku residential building fire
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijan, EU unlikely to sign any document at Riga summit
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijani emergency situations minister on visit to Uzbekistan
- 19/05/2015 EU representative: There is no campaign whatsoever against Azerbaijan with support of European Institutions - INTERVIEW
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: "Initiatives and projects, put forward by Azerbaijan, have gone beyond the region"
- 19/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: "Our country has always had a strong tradition of multiculturalism"
- 18/05/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives Chairman of US-based Foundation for Ethnic Understanding