APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 31/08/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Israeli and Latvian Ambassadors
- 31/08/2015 Azerbaijani FM responds to claims on footballer Henrich Mkhitaryan’s barring from visiting Azerbaijan
- 31/08/2015 PACE decides to send observation mission to parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 31/08/2015 New Mexico State Senator visits Azerbaijani Parliament
- 31/08/2015 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry issues statement on upcoming so-called “elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31/08/2015 Afghan vice-president: ISIL has plans regarding Caucasus, Azerbaijan
- 31/08/2015 Favorable conditions for development of Iran-Azerbaijan relations – Rouhani
- 31/08/2015 Kuwaiti ambassador: Armenia must fulfill UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 31/08/2015 Davutoglu: As long as Turkey stands by Azerbaijan, nothing can happen on its borders
- 29/08/2015 President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kyrgyz and Malaysian leaders
- 28/08/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov delivers a speech at trilateral meeting of foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Turkmenistan
- 28/08/2015 Heydar Aliyev Foundation to organize "Town of Azerbaijan" in Paris
- 28/08/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs discuss bilateral cooperation - PHOTO
- 28/08/2015 Russian FM to pay working visit to Azerbaijan
- 28/08/2015 Azerbaijani parliament speaker to attend fourth World Conference of parliament speakers in New York
- 28/08/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Antalya
- 28/08/2015 PACE Bureau to discuss sending of observation mission for Azerbaijan parliamentary elections
- 28/08/2015 Helicopters that entered Georgian airspace belong to Turkey - Defense Ministry
- 28/08/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov leaves for Turkey to join trilateral ministerial meeting in Turkey
- 28/08/2015 Japan respects Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, sovereignty, says MP
- 27/08/2015 Samad Seyidov: US is one of Azerbaijan’s strategic allies
- 27/08/2015 Poroshenko planning to visit Azerbaijan
- 27/08/2015 Saudi Arabia plays important role in adoption of resolutions supporting Azerbaijan’s just cause, says ambassador - INTERVIEW
- 27/08/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkish and Turkmen FMs to meet in Antalya
- 27/08/2015 Kazakhstan calls on Azerbaijani people to join anti-nuclear campaign
- 27/08/2015 Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijan’s consul general in Los Angeles
- 26/08/2015 Free and fair election to be seen as positive step in Azerbaijan’s democratic progress, says US ambassador
- 25/08/2015 OIC secretary general: I’m sure Azerbaijan will hold Islamic Solidarity Games at same level as European Games
- 25/08/2015 Date of Czech president's visit to Azerbaijan announced
- 25/08/2015 PACE rapporteur meets with ACSDA members
- 25/08/2015 Azerbaijan hopeful for unbiased investigation of fire in Germany’s refugee camp
- 25/08/2015 Montenegro apologizes to Azerbaijan for incident at Tivat airport
- 25/08/2015 Palestine does not plan to open embassy in Armenia – embassy
- 24/08/2015 OIC secretary general to visit Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 22/08/2015 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Ukrainian President on Independence Day
- 21/08/2015 Azerbaijani defense minister receives Kuwaiti ambassador
- 21/08/2015 R. Niblett: Chatham House respects Azerbaijan’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity
- 21/08/2015 Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement must remain absolute priority for all who care about this region – UK ambassador - INTERVIEW
- 20/08/2015 PACE rapporteur to visit Azerbaijan
- 20/08/2015 Azerbaijani embassy follows investigation into murder of two Azerbaijanis in Ukraine