APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 25/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev met Czech President Milos Zeman in Prague
- 25/04/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili in Prague
- 24/04/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski in Prague
- 24/04/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with Moldovan President Nicolae Timofti in Prague
- 24/04/2014 Eastern Partnership Summit kicks off in Prague
- 24/04/2014 Barack Obama again avoids using word "genocide" in his April 24 statement
- 24/04/2014 Russian Turkologist: “It is undeniable fact that the Turkish people suffered a lot of losses in 1915”
- 24/04/2014 Vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament: “There is no information whether Armenian delegation will attend the OSCE PA session in Baku or not”
- 24/04/2014 British Embassy in Azerbaijan opens Visa Application Centre
- 23/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman of Chamber of Deputies of Czech Republic
- 23/04/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Czech Republic for working visit
- 23/04/2014 Turkish PM’s message on the Events of 1915
- 23/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Senate of Kingdom of the Netherlands
- 23/04/2014 Ali Huseynli: “Azerbaijan is dissatisfied over the political attitude of the U.S. to legal matter”
- 23/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Kingdom of Spain
- 23/04/2014 Ambassador: “There is a political will from both sides to deepen Azerbaijan-Greece relations” - PHOTOSESSION
- 23/04/2014 Azerbaijan and Spain to establish intergovernmental economic commission
- 23/04/2014 Richard Morningstar hopes Azerbaijan’s new energy projects will attract the U.S. and other countries
- 23/04/2014 Richard Morningstar: “We highly-estimate Azerbaijan's commitments to Afghanistan’s post-war development”
- 23/04/2014 Azerbaijan and Spain sign convention
- 23/04/2014 Ambassador: "Secretary of State John Kerry would like to visit Azerbaijan”
- 23/04/2014 Azerbaijani President to attend Eastern Partnership Summit
- 23/04/2014 Richard Morningstar: “Ukraine events bring more attention to Azerbaijan as a source of energy”
- 22/04/2014 Khalaf Khalafov: “It is inappropriate to talk about the existence of the disputed deposit in the Caspian Sea between Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan”
- 22/04/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: “The interests of the Caspian littoral states in ensuring regional security require additional efforts”
- 22/04/2014 Sergei Lavrov: “Significant progress was reached during Caspian Sea status talks”
- 22/04/2014 Sergey Lavrov: “Convention on the Caspian Sea’s legal status will not be developed till Astrakhan summit”
- 22/04/2014 Azerbaijan provides assistance to St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- 22/04/2014 Sergei Lavrov: “Creation of new groundwork for negotiations on the Caspian legal status may offer an efficient mechanism of collaboration”
- 22/04/2014 Ambassador: “Azerbaijan has recognized Iran’s right to have nuclear technology for peaceful purposes”
- 22/04/2014 Mohammad Javad Zarifi: “Iran has not changed its position on the status of the Caspian Sea”
- 22/04/2014 Caspian Sea Conference kicks off in Moscow - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/04/2014 Los Angeles celebrates the 95th Anniversary of the first Azerbaijan-US diplomatic encounter
- 21/04/2014 Azerbaijani FM departs for Moscow
- 21/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Prime Minister of Kingdom of Cambodia
- 21/04/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh Defense Minister
- 21/04/2014 Former president of Latvia to visit Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 21/04/2014 Spanish Foreign Ministry: “Minister Margallo’s visit to Azerbaijan aims at strengthening political, economic and trade relations with the two countries”
- 21/04/2014 Mikheil Saakashvili to visit Baku
- 21/04/2014 Kazakh Defense Minister arrives in Azerbaijan