APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 07/03/2014 On 5 March, Congressman Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania made a statement on the Khojaly tragedy
- 07/03/2014 President Ilham Aliyev approves Azerbaijan-EU visa facilitation agreement
- 07/03/2014 Azerbaijan considering visa waivers for Iranian nationals
- 06/03/2014 Azerbaijan's Foreign Minister and OSCE Special Representative for South Caucasus discussed Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06/03/2014 UK Foreign Secretary emphasises Azerbaijan’s role in ensuring energy security
- 06/03/2014 OIC Secretary General: “The UN resolutions on Nagorno Karabakh should be implemented”
- 05/03/2014 Minister Elmar Mammadyarov received newly assigned OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Baku
- 05/03/2014 Azerbaijani President receives OIC Secretary General
- 05/03/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives chairman of Munich Security Conference
- 05/03/2014 Iranian Deputy FM Ebrahim Rahimpour to visit Azerbaijan next week
- 05/03/2014 Kiev to host CIS countries foreign ministers’ meeting
- 05/03/2014 U.S. going to reduce financial aid to Azerbaijan
- 05/03/2014 Embassy of Sweden in Azerbaijan officially starts operation
- 04/03/2014 British Ambassador: “Armenia should withdraw from the occupied lands and all the lands come back to Azerbaijan”
- 04/03/2014 Ukrainian Embassy in Azerbaijan: Ukrainian Army is being provoked to use force in Crimea
- 04/03/2014 Azerbaijani Ambassador to Tehran meets Iranian Deputy FM
- 04/03/2014 Baku to host meetings of PACE Bureau and Permanent Committee in May
- 04/03/2014 Siyavush Novruzov: “All the views on Azerbaijan reflected in the US Department of State report are false”
- 04/03/2014 British Embassy not closing visa service in Baku
- 04/03/2014 GUAM issues statement on threat to territorial integrity of Ukraine
- 03/03/2014 London hosts an international conference "Denominations in the Caucasus" - PHOTO
- 03/03/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to people of China
- 03/03/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Executive Director of American Jewish Committee
- 03/03/2014 Ambassador: Azerbaijan supports Ukraine’s territorial integrity, inviolability of its borders
- 03/03/2014 OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Baku takes office
- 03/03/2014 Azerbaijani Center for Strategic Studies and Belarusian Information and Analytical Center sign memorandum of understanding
- 03/03/2014 Seminar on civil control over Afghanistan armed forces taking place in Baku
- 03/03/2014 Afghanistan Foreign Minister’s visit to Baku postponed
- 03/03/2014 Araz Azimov: “U.S. Co-Chair should view the realities of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 01/03/2014 Malena Mard: “Readmission agreement is a step forward in strengthening the EU-Azerbaijani relations”
- 01/03/2014 Pakistan to host conference “Kashmir and Nagorno Karabakh: ways of solution”
- 28/02/2014 Elkhan Suleymanov delivers speech on blockade of Nakhchivan and humanitarian catastrophe of Sarsang reservoir at PACE Monitoring Committee’s meeting
- 28/02/2014 Azerbaijan and EU sign readmission agreement - UPDATED
- 28/02/2014 Armenian lobby tries to obstruct event at University of California on Azerbaijan
- 28/02/2014 U.S. Department of State releases 2013 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
- 28/02/2014 Azerbaijan-EU visa facilitation agreement to come into force in the second half of 2014
- 28/02/2014 Solemn event on 96th anniversary of Lithuania’s independence held in Baku - PHOTO
- 27/02/2014 Ukrainian Ambassador: “The relations with Azerbaijan are priority for all political forces in Ukraine”
- 26/02/2014 Embassy: The representatives of Azerbaijani community were among the people from the very beginning of Ukraine’s Maidan movement
- 26/02/2014 Ambassador: “Closure of visa section of the British Embassy is something that is not specific to Azerbaijan”