APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 25/07/2014 Family members of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostages by Armenians in Kalbajar address to Vladimir Putin - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/07/2014 Measures underway to prevent export of fake labeled products made in Nagorno-Karabakh to foreign countries
- 25/07/2014 Azerbaijani Embassy in Egypt to investigate whether or not Azerbaijanis are among victims of Algerian passenger plane crash
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “The United States does not want in any way to create instability or unrest in Azerbaijan”
- 24/07/2014 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “It was equally brave for Azerbaijan to commit to the Southern Gas Corridor, which will bring gas to Georgia, Turkey and on into Europe”
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “We need to stand by Azerbaijan as it strives to maintain its sovereignty and independence”
- 24/07/2014 Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations receives outgoing US Ambassador Richard Morningstar - PHOTO
- 24/07/2014 OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge Azerbaijan and Armenia to commit themselves to avoiding causalities on line of contact
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani President: If Karabakh problem is not settled justly, the regional situation will become more complicated
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani top official accuses Russian TV channel of serving insidious purposes
- 23/07/2014 Ambassador clarifies issue of whether Dilgam Asgarov taken hostage in Kalbajar is Russian citizen or not
- 23/07/2014 Iranian Ambassador to Azerbaijan calls international organizations not to remain indifferent to what is happening in Gaza Strip
- 23/07/2014 Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan: "Stability and prosperity on the European continent are major preconditions for closer cooperation"
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Goods produced in the Nagorno-Karabakh are sold by Armenia in the EU market under various fraudulent labels”
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani FM: Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable strategic partner of EU in the field of energy
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan is ready to coordinate its efforts with other international actors, especially with the European Union during the whole period of its chairmanship”.
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan has been successful in strengthening cooperation with EU based on my country’s development agenda and priorities”
- 22/07/2014 Azerbaijan International Development Agency implements humanitarian action in Benin and Chad
- 22/07/2014 Premature accusations over plane crash in Donetsk to aggravate situation – Russian ambassador
- 22/07/2014 Russian ambassador says no reason to politicize and dramatize issue regarding Orkhan Zeynalov
- 22/07/2014 British ambassador congratulates Azerbaijani journalists
- 22/07/2014 Chairman of Committee of Ministers makes statement on Malaysia Airlines plane crash
- 21/07/2014 Djibouti strongly condemns Armenia`s aggression against Azerbaijan
- 21/07/2014 AIDA represented at international donor conference in Brussels
- 21/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov to attend Eastern Partnerhsip Foreign Ministers meeting
- 21/07/2014 President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Norm concrete plant - PHOTO
- 19/07/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates King of Belgium
- 19/07/2014 Malaysian Chargé d'affaires to Azerbaijan: We want a detailed and objective investigation of plane crash - INTERVIEW
- 18/07/2014 Foreign Ministry calls on the UK authorities to refrain from irrelevant interference in the internal affairs of Azerbaijan
- 18/07/2014 11 Azerbaijani citizens evacuated from Gaza
- 18/07/2014 Malaysian embassy in Azerbaijan to open Memory Book of aircraft crash victims
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijan - important partner of EU in field of energy, Lithuanian president says
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Dutch Prime Minister
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Malaysian Prime Minister
- 18/07/2014 Patterns of residence permit for foreign diplomats acting in Azerbaijan approved
- 17/07/2014 Baku comments on Carl Bildt’s statements regarding Azerbaijan
- 17/07/2014 Azerbaijan APPG member Bob Blackman supports Many Happy Returns campaign
- 17/07/2014 Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova to obtain non-NATO ally status
- 16/07/2014 US Embassy issues statement regarding $2.4m USAID grant for media development in Azerbaijan
- 16/07/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives outgoing US ambassador