APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 18/09/2014 Italian PM’s visit to Azerbaijan postponed
- 18/09/2014 Azerbaijani Ambassador meets with Tourism Minister of Argentina
- 17/09/2014 Senate Foreign Relations Committee holds nomination hearings on U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 17/09/2014 Montenegrin PM embarks on official Azerbaijan visit
- 17/09/2014 Azerbaijani MP addresses European Parliament and co-chairman of Euronest Parliamentary Assembly
- 16/09/2014 German MPs to visit Azerbaijan
- 16/09/2014 Jordan appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 16/09/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov meets with Romanian Energy Minister
- 16/09/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Deputy Chairman of CDU/CSU parliamentary group in German Bundestag
- 16/09/2014 Former British Defense Secretary: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved within international law
- 16/09/2014 Greek and Albanian presidents to visit Azerbaijan
- 16/09/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Minister meets with the President of Romania - PHOTOSESSION
- 15/09/2014 The European Azerbaijan Society holds presentation of UK MP’s book - PHOTOSESSION
- 15/09/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Mexican President
- 15/09/2014 Azerbaijan to raise issue on 15-year-old Javid Mammadov’s being taken hostage at OSCE PA autumn session
- 15/09/2014 Israel nominates new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 15/09/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov leaves for Romania on official visit
- 15/09/2014 U.S. hosts event on Azerbaijan-Israel relations with participation of ambassadors - PHOTO
- 13/09/2014 PACE President to pay official visit to Azerbaijan on September 21
- 12/09/2014 Malaysian Prime Minister: "We defend the position of Azerbaijan everywhere, in particular, on the issue of territorial integrity"
- 12/09/2014 President Ilham Aliyev: " Malaysia is one of the most important partners and friendly countries for Azerbaijan"
- 12/09/2014 Novruz Mammadov: One has to build “special ties” with Carl Bildt, in order not to be criticized
- 12/09/2014 Permanent representative of Azerbaijan to UNESCO presents his credentials to Director-General
- 12/09/2014 Senate to discuss Robert Cekuta’s nomination as U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 12/09/2014 Azerbaijan, Malaysia sign documents
- 12/09/2014 Azerbaijani President and Malaysian PM hold expanded meeting
- 12/09/2014 Azerbaijani President and Malaysian Prime Minister hold one-on-one meeting
- 12/09/2014 Official welcoming ceremony for Malaysian PM held in Baku
- 12/09/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Austrian Federal Minister for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs
- 12/09/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: Certain forces in the EU apply double standards towards Azerbaijan
- 11/09/2014 Georgian PM visits Alley of Honors and Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 11/09/2014 CoE Secretary General to visit Azerbaijan
- 11/09/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Turkish Defense Minister
- 11/09/2014 Azerbaijani President, Georgian PM hold expanded meeting
- 11/09/2014 Delegation led by Chairman of European Committee for Prevention of Torture Latif Huseynov visits Morocco
- 11/09/2014 Georgian PM arrives in Azerbaijan
- 11/09/2014 Malaysian PM to visit Azerbaijan
- 10/09/2014 The newly appointed General Consul of the Republic of Turkey to Ganja Orhan Ishik was received in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 10/09/2014 Baku to host "Great India" exhibition on September 12-28
- 10/09/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives First Deputy Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan