President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 09.10.2015Russia-Azerbaijan trade turnover reached historic maximum in 2014, says deputy PM
- 09.10.2015Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission meeting kicks off in Moscow
- 09.10.2015Azerbaijan's permanent mission issues statement on violations by ODIHR of its mandate
- 09.10.2015Azerbaijan's permanent mission to OSCE issues statement on situation in occupied territories
- 08.10.2015Samad Seyidov: “Armenian delegation’s head dismissed from PACE Political Committee’s meeting” - INTERVIEW
- 08.10.2015International Fair Play Committee's special medal presented to Azerbaijani president - VİDEO
- 08.10.2015Joint human rights working group issues statement
- 08.10.2015Top official: Jagland evidently demonstrates infiniteness of ‘loyalty’ to certain quarters, with his immediate statements on Azerbaijan
- 08.10.2015Samad Seyidov: Joint human rights working group to continue operating even in absence of Council of Europe
- 08.10.2015Azerbaijani president receives heads of Turkic-speaking states’ special service bodies
- 08.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives chair of Board of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
- 08.10.2015Azerbaijan-Korean Cultural Exchange Association launches new project in Seoul
- 08.10.2015“Target Baku. Hitler’s war on Oil” documentary presented in Brazil
- 07.10.2015Council of Europe leaves joint working group on human rights issues in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2015Azerbaijani official: Not even a word is said about fate of thousands of war victims
- 07.10.2015Azerbaijani president phones Russian counterpart
- 06.10.2015PM: Azerbaijan built regular army with help of Turkish experts
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani president confers diplomatic rank of envoy extraordinary and plenipotentiary of second category on Gunay Efendiyeva
- 06.10.2015Syrian journalist: Russia not to leave Syria unless it eradicates terrorism - INTERVIEW
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani FM meets with Panamanian minister of commerce and industries
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev received a delegation led by the Chief of the General Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces
- 05.10.2015Domenico Coco appointed Azerbaijan’s honorary consul in Italy’s Catania
- 05.10.2015Azerbaijani president appoints new ambassador to Lebanon
- 05.10.2015Climate change – ‘contribution’ of developed nations as legacy for mankind, says Azerbaijani top official
- 05.10.2015Azerbaijani president receives outgoing French ambassador
- 05.10.2015Azerbaijani Embassy in Australia holds Open Door Day
- 05.10.2015Azerbaijani FM leaves for Panama on official visit
- 02.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Turkish minister of customs and trade
- 02.10.2015PACE’s decision to send observation mission is great achievement for Azerbaijan, says Elkhan Suleymanov
- 02.10.2015FM: Azerbaijan waiting for int’l actions against Armenian aggression for 20 years
- 01.10.2015CIS Interparliamentary Assembly names head of its observation mission for Azerbaijan parliamentary elections
- 01.10.2015Former Israeli president to visit Azerbaijan
- 01.10.2015Azerbaijan has one of world’s largest per capita IDP and refugees burden, says FM
- 01.10.2015Sargysyan’s statement testifies to Armenia's apparent disregard of its obligations, says Azerbaijani FM
- 30.09.2015PACE committee discusses Azerbaijani MP’s report
- 30.09.2015Barack Obama congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Adha
- 30.09.2015European countries yet to reach an agreement on common position, says Azerbaijani official
- 30.09.2015St. Petersburg governor en route to Azerbaijan
- 30.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia dragging Azerbaijan into provocation
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani diplomats to be stripped of their ranks for any action incompatible with diplomatic service