APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 09/12/2013 EU-Azerbaijan Cooperation Council holds 14th meeting
- 09/12/2013 British Airways not to resume flights to Armenia
- 09/12/2013 Azerbaijan bans political parties having no official headquarters - EXCLUSIVE
- 09/12/2013 Head of OSCE Office in Baku: “The existence of problems is due to the fact that Azerbaijan is a young country”
- 09/12/2013 Azerbaijan to attend BSEC meeting in Armenia
- 07/12/2013 Russian political analyst: “Azerbaijan's admission to the Customs Union is not regarded as an urgent issue in Moscow”
- 07/12/2013 Ahmet Davutoglu: “Three-dimensional policy should be pursued to normalize Turkey-Armenia and Armenia-Azerbaijan relations”
- 06/12/2013 GUAM Ministerial Council holds meeting in Kiev
- 06/12/2013 Kiev hosts 22nd meeting of GUAM Council of Foreign Ministers
- 06/12/2013 Azerbaijani Foreign Minister meets EU Special Representative for South Caucasus
- 06/12/2013 Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles sends a letter of protest to all members of Highland City Council
- 06/12/2013 Mobility Partnership signed between the EU and Azerbaijan
- 06/12/2013 Azerbaijani FM meets Ukrainian Premier
- 05/12/2013 Azerbaijani President İlham Aliyev awarded the "Statesman of the Year" - PHOTOSESSION
- 05/12/2013 Latvian Foreign Minister: “Positive trend in the resolution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict should be continued”
- 05/12/2013 Azerbaijani Foreign Minister holds several bilateral meetings in Kiev
- 05/12/2013 Elmar Mammadyarov: It is regrettable that OSCE/ODIHR makes statements on behalf of the whole organization basing only on the technical mandate and knowledge
- 05/12/2013 Elmar Mammadyarov: “The presence of Armenian troops in the Azerbaijani territory is the main threat to peace in the region”
- 05/12/2013 Sergei Lavrov: “Russia continues its efforts to bring closer the positions of the parties to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict”
- 05/12/2013 U.S. Assistant Secretary of State: “Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents is a source of hope for peace in the region”
- 05/12/2013 Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers agree to meet again early next year
- 05/12/2013 Ukrainian President: “Strengthening international efforts to resolve conflicts will be a significant contribution to creating a single Eurasian security area”
- 05/12/2013 U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State arrives in Azerbaijan
- 05/12/2013 Opinion poll in Turkey shows people see Azerbaijan as the closest country
- 05/12/2013 20th meeting of OSCE Ministerial Council starts in Kiev
- 05/12/2013 “We cannot say that there is any pressure against Azerbaijan in projects realized with Turkey”, President of SOCAR Rovnag Abdullayev
- 04/12/2013 The 3rd Caspian Forum starts in Istanbul - PHOTOSESSION
- 04/12/2013 OSCE Ministerial Council to start in Kyiv on Thursday
- 04/12/2013 The European Azerbaijan Society celebrates its fifth anniversary in the Locarno Suite at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- 04/12/2013 Elmar Mammadyarov leaves for Kiev to attend OSCE Ministerial Council meeting
- 04/12/2013 Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov holds several meetings in Brussels
- 04/12/2013 Azerbaijan's Foreign Minister attends ISAF Foreign Ministerial Meeting
- 04/12/2013 Chairman of the Russian State Duma committee for CIS affairs: “We hope Azerbaijan will join the Customs Union”
- 04/12/2013 Ambassador: “Azerbaijan and Israel are enjoying unique relationships”
- 03/12/2013 Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister leaves for Brussels to attend meeting of NATO Foreign Ministers with non-NATO ISAF Contributing Nations
- 03/12/2013 Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Iranian foreign ministers to be held in Konya, December 17
- 02/12/2013 Ali Hasanov: “We must get rid of the attempts by the West to use young people, press, separate journalists against their own people and state”
- 02/12/2013 Iranian Embassy in Azerbaijan issues statement on armed incident occurred on border
- 02/12/2013 Bahar Muradova: “Azerbaijan supports continuation of the European integration pursuing an independent policy and demonstrating will”
- 02/12/2013 Azerbaijan's ruling party: "Azerbaijan faces more pressure, but we can withstand it"