President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 02.05.2016Iranian Embassy refutes reports on Armenians’ holding rally and chanting anti-Azerbaijani slogans in Tehran
- 29.04.2016Malta may simplify visa regime for Azerbaijani citizens
- 29.04.2016Malta supports peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict, says FM
- 29.04.2016President Aliyev: Malta actively involved in Azerbaijan-EU co-op
- 29.04.2016Co-op between Azerbaijan, Malta on the rise – FM
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani, foreign journalists begin trip to Azerbaijan's frontline districts
- 29.04.2016Baku calls Yerevan’s statements contradictory and illogical
- 29.04.2016President Ilham Aliyev received Secretary General of the Socialist International
- 28.04.2016Azerbaijan recalls consul generals from St. Petersburg and Yekaterinburg
- 28.04.2016Indonesia seeking to establish direct flight route with Azerbaijan: ambassador
- 28.04.2016Maltese FM due in Azerbaijan
- 27.04.2016Dutch ambassador: Azerbaijani court’s decision to allow Leyla and Arif Yunus to leave country – humanitarian gesture
- 27.04.2016Closing ceremony of 7th UNAOC Global Forum held in Baku
- 27.04.2016‘Armenia needs to negotiate with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict settlement’
- 27.04.2016Armenia is not an independent state – former Turkish minister
- 27.04.2016Mehriban Aliyeva: Baku forum to contribute to constructive dialogue, mutual understanding
- 27.04.2016‘Baku process’ already int’l diplomatic term – Azerbaijani tourism minister
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijani president receives former French PM
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijani president receives Qatar’s deputy PM
- 27.04.2016Top Azerbaijani official: questions on unresolved Karabakh conflict should be addressed to Minsk Group and UN
- 27.04.2016UNAOC Global Forum of high importance – BSEC
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijan considers international law a source of justice – top official
- 27.04.2016Top Azerbaijani official: geopolitical ambitions lie at core of Karabakh conflict
- 26.04.2016Azerbaijani president meets with Maltese counterpart
- 26.04.2016No alternative to intercivilizational dialogue, says ISESCO chief
- 26.04.2016UNESCO: Baku to host World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in 2017
- 26.04.2016Month of global solidarity proposed at UN Baku Forum
- 26.04.2016Iran’s vice president: Invasion – one of reasons behind terrorism, extremism
- 26.04.2016Pope Francis to visit Azerbaijan in autumn
- 26.04.2016France is not taking sides in Karabakh conflict – secretary of state
- 26.04.2016France ready to support EU, Azerbaijan to reach agreement
- 26.04.2016FM: Turkey believes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity will be restored
- 26.04.2016Baku Declaration adopted at 7th UNAOC Global Forum - UPDATED
- 26.04.2016Turkish president ends working visit to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2016Azerbaijani FM: Military intervention is not the ‘best response’
- 26.04.2016Many Azerbaijani citizens joining ‘Islamic State’, says FM
- 26.04.2016French minister: int’l stability, settlement of conflicts and inclusiveness supreme goal of UNAOC
- 26.04.2016Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved conflicts tend to provide fertile ground for violent extremism
- 26.04.2016UN welcomes Azerbaijani president’s initiatives - official
- 26.04.2016Spain expresses support to Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty