APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 28/07/2015 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to his Indian counterpart
- 27/07/2015 Azerbaijani President congratulates his Peruvian counterpart
- 27/07/2015 Egyptian press reports about recent clashes on contact line between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops
- 24/07/2015 Organizing Committee created in connection with 7th Global Forum of UN Alliance of Civilizations to be held in Baku
- 24/07/2015 Turkey is taking actions against ISIL on time – Azerbaijani official
- 24/07/2015 Novruz Mammadov: They realized that they couldn’t demonstrate a different attitude toward Azerbaijan like other countries
- 24/07/2015 Azerbaijani official: We can’t take it easy if no difference is made between occupying country and one subjected to occupation
- 24/07/2015 Novruz Mammadov: Attitude toward Azerbaijan should be changed
- 24/07/2015 Azerbaijan, EU work on strategic partnership agreement – top official
- 24/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev received the Israeli Ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 23/07/2015 Belarusian president honors Azerbaijani PM with Order of Friendship
- 23/07/2015 Richard Hoagland: I am sure that US companies will continue to invest in Azerbaijan
- 23/07/2015 Azerbaijan plays important role in development of Silk Road – US official
- 23/07/2015 Unknown how situation on Iran will change after six months, says US official
- 23/07/2015 US official says he will discuss New Silk Road initiative with Azerbaijani FM
- 23/07/2015 US official comments on cooling of relations with Azerbaijan
- 23/07/2015 US principal deputy assistant secretary arrives in Azerbaijan
- 23/07/2015 TURKPA Secretary General to address OSCE Permanent Council
- 22/07/2015 Another detail emerges of anti-Azerbaijani campaign led by Rebecca Vincent
- 22/07/2015 Azerbaijan invites ODIHR to observe parliamentary elections
- 22/07/2015 Chatham House’s love of Sahakyan may be tabled for discussion at British Parliament
- 22/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: Armenian president has no right to talk about democracy
- 22/07/2015 President of European Council: Status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict unacceptable
- 22/07/2015 President Aliyev says he’s pleased that Azerbaijan’s role in energy security is reflected in EU documents
- 22/07/2015 Last year there were 70,000 visitors from Azerbaijan to Schengen area – Donald Tusk
- 22/07/2015 European Council president: Civil society - basis for stability and prosperity
- 22/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev says he hopes Armenia will be exerted more pressure for returning Azerbaijani territories
- 22/07/2015 Azerbaijan important partner of EU, says Tusk
- 22/07/2015 British MP expresses protest to Chatham House
- 22/07/2015 Official welcoming ceremony for European Council President Donald Tusk held in Baku
- 21/07/2015 President of the European Council arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21/07/2015 Azerbaijan Foreign Ministry condemns terror act in Turkey
- 19/07/2015 US, Azerbaijan have years-long military cooperation, says ambassador
- 17/07/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Following positive solution of Iran’s nuclear problem, I hope the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict will also improve”
- 17/07/2015 It is time to intensify efforts toward Karabakh settlement, says Russian FM
- 17/07/2015 Azerbaijan, Russian FMs start bilateral talks in Moscow
- 17/07/2015 Azerbaijani FM embarks on visit to Russia
- 16/07/2015 Azerbaijan says yes to the USA`s peace gesture, but…
- 16/07/2015 Azerbaijan provides assistance to three African countries to combat Ebola outbreak
- 15/07/2015 President Ilham Aliyev approves joint declaration on Azerbaijan-Pakistan strategic partnership