APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
- 23/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives President of European Shooting Confederation and Russian Shooting Union
- 23/10/2014 Azerbaijani President receives credentials of newly-appointed Serbian Ambassador
- 23/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives German FM
- 23/10/2014 German FM: We looking forward to upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents in Paris
- 23/10/2014 Azerbaijan important country for us, German FM says
- 23/10/2014 US Embassy welcomes Azerbaijani Government steps
- 22/10/2014 Lithuanian FM: ‘We are thinking of using bilateral dialogue to increase the effectiveness of Azerbaijan-EU cooperation’
- 22/10/2014 Azerbaijani first lady Mehriban Aliyeva receives Astrakhan Oblast Order of Merit
- 22/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Ambassador of Qatar to Azerbaijan
- 22/10/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Russia’s Astrakhan Region Governor
- 22/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives President and Secretary General of General Confederation of Trade Unions
- 22/10/2014 European Parliament reestablishes friendship group with Azerbaijan - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/10/2014 German FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 21/10/2014 Azerbaijani FM receives EU Special Representative for South Caucasus
- 21/10/2014 Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights to visit Azerbaijan
- 21/10/2014 Azerbaijani President offer condolences to French counterpart over death of Total CEO in place crash
- 21/10/2014 Azerbaijan, Qatar sign cooperation agreement on management of emergency situations
- 21/10/2014 EU welcomes Azerbaijani president's pardon order
- 21/10/2014 Lithuanian FM arrives in Azerbaijan
- 20/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Second President of National Council of Austrian Parliament
- 20/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Rosneft President
- 20/10/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry protests against Voice of America radio
- 20/10/2014 Azerbaijani President receives EU Special Representative for South Caucasus
- 20/10/2014 Minister Elmar Mammadyarov receives first vice-speaker of Austrian Parliament
- 20/10/2014 ADA University holding course for Afghan officials
- 20/10/2014 EU special representative to arrive in Baku today
- 20/10/2014 Lithuanian FM to visit Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 20/10/2014 ASAN successes cited as a case study in House of Lords official report
- 17/10/2014 Deputy Head of Presidential Administration: With is unfounded statements US Department of State wants to spoil Azerbaijan`s international image
- 17/10/2014 The European Azerbaijan Society issued a statement condemning the creation of a unofficial "working group" on "NKR" in the European Parliament
- 17/10/2014 Ziyafat Asgarov: We haven’t raised such an issue before anyone that we join a union, and then Karabakh is returned to us
- 17/10/2014 Ziyafat Asgarov: Azerbaijan can never become target of attacks only for Leyla Yunus
- 17/10/2014 Azerbaijani Parliament Speaker: European Parliament hasn’t passed decision on establishment of friendship group with so-called “NKR”
- 17/10/2014 EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Azerbaijan next week
- 17/10/2014 Amendment made to Azerbaijan Consular Charter
- 17/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev’s official visit to Tajikistan ended
- 16/10/2014 No financial support can replace freedom, independence, Palestinian FM says
- 16/10/2014 Azerbaijani President meets with Speaker of Lower House of Majlisi Oli of Tajikistan
- 16/10/2014 Continuous attempts of US to intervene in Azerbaijan’s domestic affairs unacceptable – Foreign Ministry
- 16/10/2014 President Ilham Aliyev presented with diploma of Honorary Doctor of Tajik National University