Pino Arlacchi: “We told the truth and refused to endorse a wrong vision of Azerbaijan” - INTERVIEW - EXCLUSIVE
Did you participate in the European Parliament’s discussions regarding the presidential elections in Azerbaijan and how do you assess criticizing positions of several parliamentarians and adopted resolution?
- First of all, I would not attach a great importance to the amendment to the resolution of our ENP policy that criticizes elections in Azerbaijan. Because the results of our observation mission are taken into account. And we said that the elections were free and fair. Secondly, it is too bad that some groups in the Parliament like the Greens, who promoted that motion are so biased against the all Parliament. Because the resolution was approved through with the abstention with Socialist group, it means a large part of the Parliament, with the support of very distracted audience, nobody really paid great attention to that rotation. So I would not go so far to say that it really contradicts what we said. They do not say that we did wrong, they say that the ODIHR report was reliable.
You said that some group of parliamentarians had taken criticizing positions. What is behind the intention of this group of parliamentarians?
- Many people in the parliament and outside it expected us to endorse of an idea of Azerbaijan as an authoritarian country with zero democracy, with no respect for rules. Since we completely contradicted this view these groups were very disappointed and tried to strike back against us just because we told the truth and refused to endorse a wrong vision of Azerbaijan.
- It is very simple. We were 66 parliamentarians belonging to 3 different Assemblies- CoE, OSCE and EP. We all observed election freely and have positive opinion about the elections. ODIHR consists of so-called experts with no political responsibilities, who were not elected by anybody. So it is easy to manipulate them. Our evaluation has been done on the sense of responsibility, also being parliamentarians we know elections very well much better than experts who want just to be sure that they will get their next job in next occasion.
While issuing your initial opinion on your observations in Baku, you said that the mission would release a final report. When will the final report on elections be released?
-We already prepared a short report and will release a larger report. It will be released after the discussion in the Foreign affairs committee. We will have this discussion when it is put to the agenda. I think it will take place in the next couple of weeks. We had already a preliminary discussion where I presented the results of our observation mission. And we did not face any strong objection inside foreign affairs committee. Foreign affairs committee consists of experienced politicians, most of whom already did observations, so they basically respect what other colleagues did.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani President: “No one is allowed to interfere in our internal affairs”
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijan celebrates Republic Day
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijan has never been as powerful as now – president
- 27.05.2016Double standards towards Azerbaijan must be ended, says President Aliyev
- 27.05.2016President Aliyev: Memory of founders of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic will always leave in people’s hearts
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijani president attends official reception on Republic Day
- 27.05.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 26.05.2016Dozens feared drowned as latest migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani CEC: Last year almost all parties failed to present financial reports in time
- 26.05.2016538 voters above age of 100 in Azerbaijan
- 26.05.2016Number of voters in Azerbaijan announced
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani president named "The World’s Person of the Year 2015"
- 23.05.2016Human remains found off Turkmen coast do not belong to missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 21.05.2016Date, agenda announced of last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s spring session
- 20.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament adopts amnesty bill - UPDATED
- 20.05.2016Mehriban Aliyeva: Those covered by amnesty act should be shown humanism and mercy
- 19.05.2016CEC considers Ilgar Mammadov’s complaint
- 19.05.2016New head of Gazakh district executive authority named
- 19.05.2016New head of Yardimli district executive power appointed
- 19.05.2016For European banks, U.S. assurances on Iran come with asterisks
- 16.05.2016Azerbaijan still faces terrorist threats, says parliament vice-speaker
- 15.05.2016Turkish Defense Minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2016New head appointed to Administration of State Historical Architectural Reserve "Icherisheher"
- 11.05.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector to flourish in 2017-2018
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani MES holds event marking national leader Heydar Aliyev’s 93rd birthday anniversary
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijani president pays respect to country’s national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2016Azerbaijan marks 93rd birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 07.05.2016Armenians see President Ilham Aliyev as main reason for their defeat - ANALYSIS
- 06.05.2016North Korean leader hails nuclear success in opening congress
- 06.05.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 06.05.2016Italy-Azerbaijan business forum to be held in June
- 05.05.2016US pollster: Over 96% of Azerbaijani population trust President Ilham Aliyev
- 05.05.2016CEC: Ilgar Mammadov loses right to be elected MP
- 04.05.2016Turkish strikes in Syria kill 13 Daesh terrorists
- 30.04.2016US Department of State calls Azerbaijan and Armenia to return to the process of peaceful settlement
- 30.04.2016Azerbaijani President: "2016 is the year of deep economic reforms"
- 29.04.2016Date and agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s next meeting announced
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani parliament condemns Armenian provocations
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Aghsu district
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan to approve ethics conduct rules for MPs