Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 22/05/2015 Two US black men shot by police, new protes held in Olympia
- 22/05/2015 Obama says he has "personal interest" in reaching Iran nuclear deal
- 22/05/2015 Prosecutor: 6 officers indicted in death of Freddie Gray
- 22/05/2015 UN blasts Canada for expulsion of mentally ill Jamaican
- 21/05/2015 U.S. releases documents recovered in raid that killed bin Laden
- 21/05/2015 U.S. approves arms sale of 1.879 bln USD to Israel
- 21/05/2015 U.S. disputes DPRK's capacity to miniaturize nuke weapons
- 20/05/2015 U.N. announces Yemen talks, Iran to allow ship inspection
- 20/05/2015 NATO urges 'transparency' in Russia military drills
- 19/05/2015 US judge orders release of Hillary Clinton's emails
- 19/05/2015 1 teen killed, 4 adults wounded in Florida shooting
- 19/05/2015 Cuba says conditions 'favorable' for restoring ties with U.S.
- 19/05/2015 Flood, mudslide sweep away homes in Colombia, killing 52
- 19/05/2015 Egypt death sentences worry U.S., U.N., Turkey
- 18/05/2015 Kerry says U.S. and China discuss further sanctions on North Korea
- 18/05/2015 Nuland: Ukraine does not intend to launch new military action in Donbass
- 17/05/2015 Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev sentenced to death
- 17/05/2015 UN issues scathing report of US human rights record
- 17/05/2015 Turks in US begin voting in Turkey's elections
- 16/05/2015 U.S. military kills senior IS leader in Syria: Pentagon
- 16/05/2015 U.S. to expedite military aid to Iraqi forces, Biden tells Abadi: White House
- 16/05/2015 Obama seeks to reassure Gulf allies, sees no early end to Syria war
- 16/05/2015 Verdict reached in marathon bomber's death penalty trial
- 15/05/2015 Drone operator detained in front of White House
- 15/05/2015 Iran attempts intercept of Singapore ship: US
- 15/05/2015 Drone puts White House on brief lockdown
- 15/05/2015 UN calls for respecting truce in Yemen
- 15/05/2015 UN nuclear watchdog to need extra funds to control Iran’s nuclear program — source
- 14/05/2015 Plane crashes in northern Mexico, killing six
- 14/05/2015 Obama meets two Saudi princes after King sent regrets
- 13/05/2015 U.S., NATO say Russia must fully implement Ukraine ceasefire
- 13/05/2015 Kerry: Sanctions must remain in force to ensure peace in eastern Ukraine
- 13/05/2015 US train derails in Philadelphia, killing at least five, injuring dozens of others
- 13/05/2015 2 from Florida dead after chase from Colorado to New Mexico
- 13/05/2015 Amtrak train crashes in Philadelphia, wreckage 'pretty bad'
- 13/05/2015 Kerry holds 'frank' talks with Putin in bid to improve ties
- 13/05/2015 US Christian population in decline: survey
- 13/05/2015 Al-Shabaab militants nabbed in major swoop in Mogadishu
- 11/05/2015 At least two dead, 10 missing after Arkansas, Texas tornadoes
- 11/05/2015 Several Armenians charged with fraud in US