Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 06/03/2015 Harrison Ford 'battered, but ok' after small-plane crash, son says
- 06/03/2015 Seven injured in police, gunmen shootout in Jamaica
- 06/03/2015 Delta plane veers off runway in landing at LaGuardia
- 06/03/2015 US Approves $192 Million Rocket System Sale to Jordan - State Department
- 05/03/2015 U.S. says N.Korea nuclear and missile work 'of great concern'
- 05/03/2015 U.S., Europe weighing potential deeper Russia sanctions: Nuland
- 04/03/2015 Kerry says demanding Iran's 'capitulation' is no way to secure nuclear deal
- 04/03/2015 Ferguson police routinely violate blacks’ rights, federal review finds
- 04/03/2015 Obama extends for one year some sanctions against Russia, related to crisis in Ukraine
- 04/03/2015 U.S. says supports Algeria fighting extremism
- 04/03/2015 U.S. dollar falls after hitting 11-year peak
- 04/03/2015 U.S. House passes clean funding bill for Homeland Security Department
- 04/03/2015 State of emergency declared as Brazil's Acre River swells
- 03/03/2015 UNSC to impose bans on South Sudan warring sides
- 03/03/2015 Venezuela gives U.S. 15 days to reduce embassy staff
- 03/03/2015 US: No formal notice on detained Americans in Venezuela
- 03/03/2015 Obama sharply criticizes China's plans for new technology rules
- 03/03/2015 Brazil economists predict 'worst GDP result in 25 years'
- 02/03/2015 On U.S. visit, Netanyahu warns an Iran deal could threaten Israel's existence
- 02/03/2015 Kerry threatens Russia with new sanctions
- 01/03/2015 German police detains several people due to violence threats
- 01/03/2015 Obama to Congress: Not time to pass additional legislation on Iran
- 01/03/2015 Police identify gunman in Missouri shooting
- 28/02/2015 James Warlick meets with members of Armenian Diaspora in U.S.
- 28/02/2015 Brazil police use tear gas to disperse truck blockades
- 27/02/2015 Autopsy shows unarmed man shot from behind by Washington police
- 27/02/2015 Lavrov, Kerry to hold meeting in Geneva next week for discussing Ukraine
- 27/02/2015 Ivica Dacic: "The settlement of the protracted conflicts occupies an important place among the priorities of the Serbian OSCE Presidency"
- 26/02/2015 UN special envoy due in Syria on Friday
- 26/02/2015 Resumption of ties depends on Washington: Cuban official
- 26/02/2015 Three New York men arrested for attempting to join Daesh
- 25/02/2015 Kerry plans to meet Lavrov at end of week for Iran talks
- 25/02/2015 Obama vetoes controversial Keystone XL bill
- 25/02/2015 Kerry calls for patience over nuke talks with Iran
- 24/02/2015 At least 30 injured in Metrolink train accident in S. Califronia
- 21/02/2015 Russia 'undermining' global world order: US
- 21/02/2015 U.S. lawmaker pushes White House to aid allies in Islamic State fight
- 20/02/2015 Venezuela police raid arrests Caracas mayor Antonio Ledezma
- 19/02/2015 US to hold regional summits to fight ISIL
- 19/02/2015 UN urges more efforts in last phase of combat Ebola