Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 18/04/2015 Obama urges Gulf nations to help with chaos in Libya
- 18/04/2015 Obama to meet leaders of 6 Gulf countries in May
- 17/04/2015 U.S. threatens Russia with retaliation for violations of the INF Treaty
- 17/04/2015 Jobless claims rise in US, housing lags
- 16/04/2015 US to reduce foreign aid due to crisis
- 16/04/2015 Small helicopter lands on U.S. Capitol grounds, one person detained: police
- 16/04/2015 Colombia resumes air raids on rebels after 11 troops killed
- 15/04/2015 Cuba praises 'fair' US pledge on terrorism list
- 15/04/2015 Obama to take Cuba off terror list
- 15/04/2015 Slovak PM not in favor of further sanctions against Russia
- 15/04/2015 Shooting at N.C. community college investigated as possible hate crime
- 15/04/2015 Canada announces additional military assistance to Ukraine
- 15/04/2015 James Bond star named UN advocate for mine elimination
- 15/04/2015 Obama to let congress vote on Iran deal
- 15/04/2015 US Department of State refused to recognize the "Armenian genocide"
- 14/04/2015 John Kerry thanks Russia for rescuing US citizens from Yemen air strikes
- 14/04/2015 U.S. imposes sanctions on Tunisian man for sending fighters to Syria
- 14/04/2015 Ukraine's president replaces ambassador in US
- 14/04/2015 UN Security Council demands Yemeni parties to resolve differences through dialogue
- 14/04/2015 U.N. vote on Tuesday on Yemen arms embargo
- 13/04/2015 1-year-old Cleveland baby shot dead by 3-year-old who found ‘untended’ handgun: police chief
- 12/04/2015 Lifting US Embargo Against Cuba Key Factor in Improving Relations – FM
- 12/04/2015 Obama says Clinton would be "excellent president"
- 12/04/2015 Shooting at U.S. Capitol was a suicide, police say; lockdown has been lifted
- 12/04/2015 Raul Castro: prompt solutions needed to remove Cuba from states sponsors of terrorism list
- 12/04/2015 U.S. Capitol locked down after shots fired, police say
- 12/04/2015 US, Cuba presidents hold first face-to-face talks in decades
- 11/04/2015 US embassy security guard injured in attack in Doha
- 11/04/2015 Obama, Castro shake hands as U.S., Cuba seek better ties
- 11/04/2015 Canada to send troops to Ukraine
- 11/04/2015 Illinois tornado death toll increases to 2
- 10/04/2015 US, Cuba hold highest-level meeting in more than 50 years
- 10/04/2015 US: Iran sanctions to be removed in 'phased manner'
- 10/04/2015 Biden says Daesh’s progress stopped in Iraq
- 09/04/2015 US: Netanyahu's comments on Iran ‘factually inaccurate’
- 09/04/2015 US jury finds Tsarnaev guilty in Boston Marathon bombings
- 08/04/2015 White US policeman charged with murdering black man
- 08/04/2015 U.S. secretly tracked billions of calls for decades
- 08/04/2015 US official not confirming Russian hackers behind reported White House breach
- 08/04/2015 7 Killed in plane crash in U.S. state of Illinois