Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 27/08/2014 UN envoy arrives in Pakistan as Afghan election crisis deepens
- 27/08/2014 U.S. Department of State: We're not looking for the approval of the Syrian regime
- 26/08/2014 U.S. State Department: Russia should withdraw its forces from Abkhazia and South Ossetia
- 26/08/2014 White House: Barack Obama not decided on military option against ISIL in Syria
- 26/08/2014 Dempsey: We will act if Islamic group threatens US
- 26/08/2014 U.N. reports improved aid access in Syria, but outlook bleak
- 24/08/2014 6.6-magnitude quake hits NW of Hacienda La Calera, Chile
- 24/08/2014 Thousands march in New York City to protest police chokehold death
- 23/08/2014 U.S. urges Russia to withdraw convoy from Ukraine
- 23/08/2014 UN Security Council fails to reach accord on Russian humanitarian convoy controversy
- 23/08/2014 Breach at U.S. government contractor affected at least 25,000 workers
- 23/08/2014 White House defends Obama's golf outings during crises
- 23/08/2014 Obama could seek new funds to battle Islamic State: Senate aide
- 23/08/2014 Petrol tanker crashes in Baku - PHOTO
- 22/08/2014 UN Security Council to hold closed meeting on Ukraine
- 22/08/2014 U.S. official hints ISIL airstrikes might cross into Syria
- 22/08/2014 UN High Commissioner slams Security Council 'failure'
- 22/08/2014 After Foley killing, U.S. defends refusal to pay ransom to terrorist groups that kidnap
- 22/08/2014 Pentagon eyes budget shift for Iraq
- 22/08/2014 Interpol condemns murder of U.S. journalist by Islamic State group
- 22/08/2014 Churkin: Russia hopes for ICRC help in distributing relief aid
- 22/08/2014 Children's death toll rises to 469 in Gaza: UNICEF official
- 22/08/2014 UN chief calls for ceasefire in eastern Ukraine during humanitarian mission
- 21/08/2014 US Ebola patients discharged; pose no public risk
- 21/08/2014 McDonald's shuts 3 of 4 outlets where consumer watchdog finds ‘violations’
- 20/08/2014 U.S. military continues to strike Islamic State in Iraq -U.S. officials
- 20/08/2014 Video of U.S. journalists is authentic: NSC
- 20/08/2014 UN chief slams breach of Gaza ceasefire
- 19/08/2014 U.S. Ship Completes Destruction of Syria’s Most Dangerous Chemicals
- 19/08/2014 UN chief concerned over reports on refugee convoy attack in eastern Ukraine
- 19/08/2014 US blacklists Islamic State spokesman
- 17/08/2014 UN chief condemns suicide attack against UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 16/08/2014 Germany spies on Kerry, Clinton: report
- 16/08/2014 U.S. doctor with Ebola "recovering in every way"
- 15/08/2014 ISIL could pose threat to US, Europe, officials say
- 15/08/2014 Obama most likely to make stop in Tallinn on way to NATO meeting
- 15/08/2014 Missouri takes control of security away from Ferguson police
- 15/08/2014 Obama calls for peace in Ferguson following police shooting of teenager
- 15/08/2014 Obama speaks with presidents of Liberia, Sierra Leone over Ebola
- 14/08/2014 Snowden willing to be jailed in US for ‘right purpose’