Interpol sends expertise team for typhoon-stricken Philippines
Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
Related news releases
- 01.05.2016Man, 72, rescued 13 days after deadly Ecuador earthquake
- 01.05.2016Rescued lions roar into South Africa after flight from Peru
- 30.04.2016Kerry to travel to Geneva in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- 30.04.2016Five killed in Texas floods as severe weather lashes central U.S.
- 30.04.201680+ still missing after refugee boat sank off Libya coast: IOM
- 30.04.2016Demonstrators storm California GOP convention to protest Trump
- 30.04.2016U.N. says in principle open to helping in Iran-U.S. assets dispute
- 30.04.2016UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- 30.04.2016U.S. stands by South Korea defense talks despite China, Russia objections
- 30.04.2016U.S. strike on Afghan hospital in 2015 not a war crime: Pentagon
- 30.04.2016Twenty-four people missing after deadly garbage dump accident in Guatemala
- 30.04.2016U.S. says working with Russia to revive Syria ceasefire
- 29.04.2016U.S. military softens claims on drop in Islamic State's foreign fighters
- 29.04.2016Three tied to terror shooter deny sham-marriage plot
- 29.04.2016UN condemns attack on its compound in South Sudan
- 28.04.2016UN urges DPRK to stop any "further provocative action"
- 27.04.2016Obama open to additional troops to Syria: White House
- 27.04.2016Trump, Clinton projected major winners of US primaries
- 27.04.2016World Bank raises 2016 oil price forecast
- 27.04.2016Parties to Yemeni conflict agree agenda for Kuwait City talks — UN envoy
- 27.04.2016ornadoes and hail threaten several central U.S. states
- 27.04.2016NATO must back Turkey amid regional crisis: US lawmaker
- 26.04.2016Obama sends more Special Forces to Syria in fight against IS
- 25.04.2016Ted Cruz and John Kasich to Coordinate Against Donald Trump
- 24.04.20162 officers shot, suspect dead at Walmart in Phoenix suburb
- 24.04.2016Washington tells off Pyongyang over ‘failed’ missile test
- 23.04.2016Trump bashes Clinton, promises not to become boring
- 23.04.2016Ecuador quake death toll rises to nearly 650
- 23.04.2016John Kerry signs climate agreement with granddaughter
- 23.04.2016Five people confirmed dead in two shootings in southeastern U.S.
- 23.04.2016U.S. not against foreign banks dealing with Iran: Kerry
- 23.04.2016New aftershocks jolt Ecuador still reeling from quake
- 23.04.2016Quake toll reaches more than 600 as aftershocks spook Ecuador
- 22.04.2016U.S. buying 32 metric tons of heavy water from Iran: U.S. sources
- 22.04.2016Obama says EU membership magnifies British influence
- 22.04.2016Obama not to recognize “Armenian genocide” - ANCA
- 22.04.20166.0 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Ecuador
- 22.04.2016Ecuador earthquake death toll surpasses 580
- 22.04.2016Obama says U.S. to remain vigilant against Iran
- 22.04.2016Death toll reached 13 in explosion at petrochemical plant in Mexico