Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 29/11/2014 Death toll of floods in southeast France rises to 4
- 28/11/2014 Fifteen Islamic State targets hit by U.S., allies since Wednesday: U.S.
- 28/11/2014 UN Security Council condemns attack on British embassy vehicle in Afghanistan
- 28/11/2014 US judge puts in doubt legality of evidence against Russian pilot Yaroshenko - lawyer
- 28/11/2014 11 beheaded bodies discovered in southwestern Mexico
- 27/11/2014 Protests in Ferguson dwindle, mass arrests at California rallies
- 27/11/2014 Obama to host Jordan's King at White House
- 27/11/2014 10 arrested during Ferguson decision protest in New York
- 27/11/2014 U.S. drone strike in Pakistan kills five suspected militants
- 26/11/2014 Argentine president reappears in public after recovery from ailment
- 26/11/2014 Ferguson protesters rally across US for second day
- 26/11/2014 Gunmen attack graduation party in El Salvador, kill 8
- 25/11/2014 No indictment: Grand jury decides Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson will not face criminal charges in Michael Brown shooting death
- 25/11/2014 Rio Olympic mascot is a yellow cat-like figure
- 25/11/2014 Colombia rebel chief says peace talks suspension destroyed confidence
- 24/11/2014 Hagel resigns as defense secretary
- 24/11/2014 Kerry, Lavrov meet in Vienna
- 22/11/2014 Kerry has phone conversation on Iran nuclear talks with Israel prime minister
- 22/11/2014 U.S. Biden voices support for Ukraine, denounces Russia's Putin
- 22/11/2014 US, IMF to provide financial support to Ukraine — Poroshenko
- 21/11/2014 US vice-president visits Ukraine
- 21/11/2014 Police, protesters clash in Mexico City, injuring 2
- 21/11/2014 US Vice-President arrives on visit in Ukraine
- 21/11/2014 US shooting left 2 kids dead, 2 injured
- 21/11/2014 NATO ready for Russia's increased air activity — secretary general
- 20/11/2014 US Defense Secretary: We’ve never seen an organization like IS
- 20/11/2014 At least 5 dead in massive snow in West New York State
- 20/11/2014 Honduras' Miss World contestant and sister found murdered
- 19/11/2014 US Defense Secretary: Russia’s actions ‘dangerous and irresponsible’
- 19/11/2014 Virginia woman charged in connection to ISIS recruitment
- 19/11/2014 Obama urges Congress to approve Ebola funding
- 19/11/2014 Anti-government demonstration in Haiti turns violent
- 19/11/2014 UN to help Kenya conduct population census
- 18/11/2014 NATO chief calls for closer cooperation with EU
- 18/11/2014 Kerry: US 'not intimidated' by Islamic militants
- 18/11/2014 U.S. 'disappointed' with Iran's IAEA cooperation ahead of nuclear talks
- 17/11/2014 Surgeon hospitalized with Ebola dies in the US
- 16/11/2014 Missing students case threatens Mexico economy, president
- 15/11/2014 Obama says barring Suu Kyi from Myanmar presidency 'doesn't make much sense'
- 14/11/2014 US Under Secretary of State Gottemoeller to visit Russia next week