Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
- 29/07/2015 UN condemns PKK terrorist attacks on Turkey
- 29/07/2015 Obama: ‘If I ran again, I could win’
- 29/07/2015 Kerry urges Congress to support Iran nuclear agreement
- 29/07/2015 U.S. refuses to pardon Snowden: White House
- 29/07/2015 Security Council renews mandate of UN Mission in Somalia
- 29/07/2015 NSA to destroy millions of Americans’ phone records
- 28/07/2015 Rankings of 100 global defense companies made public
- 28/07/2015 64 prisoners stage mass jailbreak in southern Brazil
- 28/07/2015 Obama says yet to hear good argument against Iran nuclear deal
- 27/07/2015 US, Turkey aim for IS-free zone in northern Syria
- 27/07/2015 Bobbi Kristina Brown, daughter of Whitney Houston, has died
- 25/07/2015 Deadly police shootout after prison break in Trinidad and Tobago
- 25/07/2015 Obama dines with Kenyan family after arriving in father's homeland
- 25/07/2015 U.S. troops to train regular Ukrainian military troops: State Department
- 25/07/2015 Kerry to talk with Russia on Islamic State fight and role Iran might play
- 25/07/2015 Kerry: Iran nuclear deal rejection could isolate Israel
- 24/07/2015 John Kerry: Iran had enough fissile material “for 10 to 20 bombs”
- 24/07/2015 Border agents cancel meeting with Trump and he's not happy
- 24/07/2015 US National Security System Potentially Compromised in Hacker Attack
- 24/07/2015 Kerry defends Iran nuclear accord at Senate hearing
- 23/07/2015 5 family members stabbed to death in Oklahoma home
- 23/07/2015 Thirty-seven killed in three days in Brazilian city
- 23/07/2015 Rubio: Next president can kill Iran nuclear agreement
- 22/07/2015 4 killed in shooting in Atlanta, U.S.
- 22/07/2015 Chattanooga shooting investigation reportedly extends to Jordan
- 21/07/2015 Obama calls for release of US citizens detained in Iran
- 21/07/2015 British police charge man with plotting against U.S. military
- 21/07/2015 2 Spanish riders killed in California motorcycle race
- 21/07/2015 11 dead, 5 wounded after ambush in northern Mexico
- 20/07/2015 Cuban flag raised over its embassy in Washington
- 20/07/2015 UN Security Council endorses Iran nuclear deal
- 20/07/2015 Cuba and US formally restore diplomatic relations
- 19/07/2015 White house condemns Islamic State attack in Iraq
- 19/07/2015 California brush fire forces evacuation of more than 300 campers: fire officials
- 18/07/2015 Death toll of U.S. naval reserve center shooting rises to 5
- 18/07/2015 Kerry to meet Cuban FM as Havana's embassy opens in US
- 17/07/2015 Kerry: 'very, very hopeful' Iran will release detained Americans
- 17/07/2015 The Pentagon confirmed the death of four marines in Tennessee
- 17/07/2015 US estimates the shooting Tennessee as a terrorist act
- 16/07/2015 Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude hits northeast off Bathsheba, Barbado