Interpol sends expertise team for typhoon-stricken Philippines
Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
Related news releases
- 13.02.2016Pope greets faithful on 1st full day in Mexico
- 13.02.2016US, Cuba to sign agreement on restarting commercial flights
- 13.02.2016Two teen girls found shot dead at school in Phoenix suburb
- 13.02.2016After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 12.02.2016Venezuela top court overrules Congress on economic emergency
- 12.02.2016Turkish soldier dies of gunshot wounds
- 12.02.2016US court orders release of thousands of more Clinton emails
- 12.02.2016US underlines support for ally Turkey after PYD row
- 11.02.2016Albert Einstein was right! Gravitational waves have been found
- 11.02.2016Brazil and US university reach deal on Zika vaccine
- 11.02.2016Mexican prison riot leaves 52 people dead
- 11.02.2016US Air Force General faints during press briefing
- 11.02.2016First HIV-positive organ transplant in US approved
- 11.02.2016North Korea satellite not transmitting, but rocket payload a concern: U.S.
- 11.02.2016US Senate bill aims to derail NKorea's nuclear weapons drive
- 10.02.2016US to allocate funding for countries ‘most targeted by Russian aggression’
- 10.02.2016US election 2016: Trump and Sanders win New Hampshire
- 10.02.2016Magnitude 6.3 quake hits central Chile, no major damage seen
- 10.02.2016Obama proposes $4T US budget
- 10.02.2016Plan to Close Gitmo Prison Awaits President Obama’s Approval
- 09.02.2016North Korea has restarted plutonium reactor: US
- 09.02.2016Obama discuss North Korean missile launch with Korea, Japan
- 08.02.2016Canada to end bombing missions in Iraq and Syria
- 08.02.2016Obama asking Congress for emergency funding to combat Zika
- 08.02.2016Obama to meet with Jordan's King Abdullah: White House
- 07.02.2016UN Security Council to meet in emergency session on DPRK's satellite launch
- 07.02.2016U.S., S. Korea, Japan seek U.N. Security Council meeting
- 07.02.2016More than 3,000 pregnant women in Colombia have contracted the head-shrinking Zika virus
- 07.02.2016Obama proposes to double U.S. clean energy funding
- 06.02.2016Kerry: Russian bombs killing women and children 'in large numbers'
- 06.02.2016Canada lifts Iran sanctions
- 06.02.2016First Zika-linked deaths reported in Colombia
- 05.02.2016Huge construction crane collapses in Manhattan, kills one
- 05.02.2016Hillary Clinton: Russia is putting pressure on US allies in Europe
- 05.02.2016Washington Sends Guided Missile Warships to Boost Ties to India - US Navy
- 05.02.2016Russia shows it wants military solution to Syrian crisis: US
- 05.02.2016Obama to seek new tax on oil in budget proposal
- 04.02.2016UN Chief Calls for Resuming Syria Peace Talks
- 04.02.2016US congressman made a statement in connection with the anniversary of the 20 January and Khojaly tragedy
- 04.02.2016Lavrov, Kerry confirm meeting on Feb. 11 during Syrian support conference