In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 04/03/2015 Unverified info on Nemtsov murder probe hinders investigation — Investigative Committee
- 03/03/2015 EU, Russia agreed to resume trilateral negotiations on EU-Ukraine association agreement
- 03/03/2015 Russia and Belarus close to creating common innovational space
- 03/03/2015 Boris Nemtsov buried
- 03/03/2015 Mourners pay last respects to Russian politician Boris Nemtsov - PHOTOSESSION
- 03/03/2015 Nemtsov to be buried in Moscow
- 03/03/2015 Ukraine death toll tops 6,000 amid fighting: UN
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian soldier killed in clashes amid shaky truce
- 02/03/2015 Lavrov notes progress in talks on Iran nuclear program
- 02/03/2015 Uzbek TV host murdered
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian model Anna Duritskaya reveals details of Boris Nemtsov’s death
- 02/03/2015 Ter-Petrosyan: Pan-Armenian declaration on genocide will bring about grave consequences for Armenia
- 02/03/2015 Some of cameras in area, where Nemtsov was killed, turned off before incident
- 01/03/2015 TVC published video since the murder of Nemtsov - VİDEO
- 01/03/2015 Pakistan arrests Iranian Sunni rebel leader on bus from border
- 28/02/2015 Putin pledges to make every effort to bring Nemtsov's killers to justice
- 28/02/2015 Russia’s Investigative Committee announces main versions regarding Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 28/02/2015 Ex-deputy of the Party of Regions Mikhail Chechetov commits suicide
- 28/02/2015 Russian President’s spokesman: “Boris Nemtsov’s murder is provocation”
- 28/02/2015 Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko reportedly dies
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine leader says troop deaths 'serious breach' of truce
- 28/02/2015 Russian politician Boris Nemtsov killed in Moscow - UPDATED - PHOTO
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine says gas dispute with Russia not to harm transit to Europe
- 27/02/2015 Barbiturate detected in blood of Kazakh president’s former son-in-law
- 27/02/2015 Sergei Lavrov: Washington fails 'to slap together' global anti-Russian coalition
- 27/02/2015 Kazakhstan's border guards detain 4 Azerbaijani citizens engaged in illegal fishing in Caspian Sea
- 26/02/2015 Ukraine begins pulling back heavy weaponry from contact line
- 26/02/2015 Russian FM says Ukraine 'ridiculous' for expecting full cease-fire observance
- 26/02/2015 Naftogaz Ukrainy accuses Gazprom of slashing gas deliveries to Ukraine
- 25/02/2015 Nazarbayev to decide on participation in Kazakhstan's early presidential elections
- 25/02/2015 Ukraine under pressure from currency fall, gas supply threat
- 25/02/2015 OSCE mission calls on parties in Ukraine to provide plans for weapons withdrawal
- 24/02/2015 Lavrov: It’s necessary to pull back heavy weaponry without waiting for full ceasefire
- 24/02/2015 UAE to sell arms, weaponry to Ukraine
- 24/02/2015 Kazakh president's former son-in-law dies in jail suicide
- 24/02/2015 Putin rules out apocalyptic war scenario in Ukraine
- 24/02/2015 UN: Death toll in Donbass reached 5800
- 24/02/2015 Russia proposes to strengthen chapter of UN Charter on right to self-determination of peoples
- 24/02/2015 Kiev says cannot withdraw heavy weapons as attacks persist
- 24/02/2015 Russia and US spar over global crises at UN meeting