In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 04/08/2015 3 Russian alpinists die in Kyrgyzstan
- 03/08/2015 Russian commander: Azerbaijan-Russia-Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan-Russia exercises to be held in Caspian Sea this year
- 03/08/2015 Ukraine’s former prime minister announces establishing Ukraine Salvation Committee
- 01/08/2015 Moscow to respond to U.S. anti-missile deployment, new sanctions against Russia
- 31/07/2015 Russia to deliver updated S-300 missile system to Iran
- 30/07/2015 RBC journalist arrested on charges of “undermining the political situation” – RBC
- 30/07/2015 Russia's Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 29/07/2015 Armenia energy protests to culminate in sit-in at president’s palace, activists say
- 29/07/2015 CIS Anti-Terrorist Center puts forward a number of initiatives to combat against IS
- 28/07/2015 Russia ready to sign agreement on 1st line of Turkish Stream within 1-2 weeks — minister
- 28/07/2015 “Stand up, Armenia” movement calls on citizens to join protest in center of Yerevan
- 28/07/2015 Leaders of Islamic world invited to mosque’s opening in Moscow
- 28/07/2015 Kazakhstan formally becomes new WTO member
- 27/07/2015 Mass protests continue in Armenia
- 25/07/2015 Yerevan botanical garden on fire
- 25/07/2015 Moscow: Tokyo’s reaction to Russian leaders’ plans to visit Kuril Islands incites tensions
- 24/07/2015 Armenia concerned over Russian offensive arms supplies to Azerbaijan – deputy defense minister
- 24/07/2015 IS militants planned series of terrorist attacks in Tajikistan in month of Ramadan – Interior Ministry
- 22/07/2015 Number of Azerbaijani migrants in Russia announced
- 22/07/2015 Armenian president’s spokesman attempts to recruit opposition party member journalist
- 22/07/2015 Death toll in Chechnya minibus crash climbs to 11
- 21/07/2015 Kyrgyzstan denounces 1993 cooperation agreement with US
- 21/07/2015 Tajikistan floods kill seven
- 20/07/2015 Six states willing to be aware of arbitration on Russia’s claim to EU
- 20/07/2015 President of the European Council visits so-called Armenian genocide monument in Yerevan
- 20/07/2015 Former Kyrgyz MP arrested for aiding IS militants
- 19/07/2015 US intelligence agencies followed Putin to 90th, - The Times
- 18/07/2015 Russian foreign ministry refutes whatever deals with U.S. for success of Iranian N talks
- 18/07/2015 U.S. threatens Russia
- 17/07/2015 Russian businessman Sterligov, illegally visited Nagorno Karabakh, charged with defamation
- 17/07/2015 Ukraine declares Russian diplomat persona non grata
- 16/07/2015 Lavrov: Iran’s deal expected to reduce regional tensions
- 15/07/2015 Chief of Omsk-based airborne training center arrested over barrack collapse incident
- 15/07/2015 Two Russian planes evacuate people wishing to leave war-torn Yemen
- 15/07/2015 8 killed, 18 wounded in renewed violence in eastern Ukraine
- 15/07/2015 “Stand up, Armenia” movement: Unless decision to increase electricity prices is canceled, we will continue our struggle
- 15/07/2015 Putin’s special representative: Moscow really wanted Baku to become SCO dialogue partner
- 15/07/2015 Minsk commends agreements on Iranian nuclear program — Belarusian foreign ministry
- 14/07/2015 Protestors block one of central streets in Yerevan
- 14/07/2015 Russian military jet crash leaves two pilots dead - UPDATED