In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 27/08/2014 Russian court closes 3 McDonald's branches in Moscow
- 27/08/2014 Ukrainian Prime Minister: “Russia will halt gas flows this winter to Europe”
- 27/08/2014 Son of Ambassador of Armenia to Georgia accused of smuggling
- 27/08/2014 Russia can offer plan of agreement on association of Ukraine with the EU on September 12
- 27/08/2014 Putin, Poroshenko start bilateral talks
- 27/08/2014 Ukraine says four border guards killed by Russian choppers
- 26/08/2014 Donetsk militias insist on swapping all captives, promise no further compromises
- 26/08/2014 Edward Nalbandian to attend new Turkey president’s inauguration
- 26/08/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of opening new war front before leaders' meeting
- 26/08/2014 Lavrov says attempts to use ultimatums against Russia unacceptable
- 26/08/2014 Russian Red Cross ready to accompany new aid convoy to Ukraine
- 26/08/2014 Iran deputy foreign minister to visit Saudi Arabia
- 26/08/2014 Slim chance of progress as Russian and Ukrainian leaders meet
- 26/08/2014 Ukraine to hold parliamentary elections October 26
- 26/08/2014 Ukrainian president dissolves parliament
- 25/08/2014 Sergei Lavrov: ‘ISIS was labeled as a terrorist organization only when it acted against U.S. interests in Iraq’
- 25/08/2014 Russian Foreign Minister: “Moscow is ready to exert efforts for the Ukrainian crisis settlement in any format”
- 25/08/2014 Sergei Lavrov: Russian trucks carried nothing but humanitarian aid
- 24/08/2014 Russian aid trucks leave; highlight dire needs
- 24/08/2014 Yatsenyuk, Merkel discuss Ukraine’s energy security
- 23/08/2014 Merkel says tightening Ukraine-Russian border is key to peace deal
- 23/08/2014 Red Cross to expand operations in eastern Ukraine
- 23/08/2014 ICRC advise local authorities on distribution of Russian aid in Lugansk
- 23/08/2014 Erdogan and Putin had telephone conversation
- 23/08/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of invasion after aid convoy crosses border
- 22/08/2014 Putin, Erdogan discuss joint energy projects
- 22/08/2014 Russia aid convoy’s movement violates previous agreements — EU Commission
- 22/08/2014 All Russian humanitarian convoy trucks arrive in Luhansk
- 22/08/2014 4 government soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine fighting
- 22/08/2014 Ukrainian president calls border crossing by Russian humanitarian convoy illegal
- 22/08/2014 Russia responds to Japan sanctions
- 21/08/2014 Georgia’s Prime Minister arrives in Armenia
- 21/08/2014 Crisis in eastern Ukraine unlikely to be solved exclusively by force - Poroshenko
- 21/08/2014 Ukrainian govt troops take over much of Luhansk
- 21/08/2014 Ukraine conflict is draining economy, hampering reforms: PM Yatseniuk
- 20/08/2014 Ukraine seeks combined IMF aid tranches
- 20/08/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of Ilovaysk city of Donetsk
- 20/08/2014 Two militants killed in Dagestan
- 19/08/2014 Putin, Lukashenko discuss preparation of Customs Union-Ukraine-EU meeting
- 19/08/2014 Ukrainian president to meet Putin, EU officials in Minsk