In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 18/04/2015 Lukashenko will not go to Moscow on May 9 parade
- 17/04/2015 Kiev needs security guarantees from NATO - FM
- 17/04/2015 U.S. troops arrive in Lviv to train Ukrainian servicemen
- 17/04/2015 More remains of human bodies found at site of MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 17/04/2015 Vladimir Putin: “Vatican and Turkey will overcome the tension”
- 16/04/2015 Moscow should use anti-Russian sanctions to make economic advances — Putin
- 16/04/2015 Russia regards no country as its foe — Putin
- 16/04/2015 Russian President: “The U.S. doesn’t need allies, it needs vassals”
- 16/04/2015 Putin says Nemtsov killing 'tragic and shameful'
- 16/04/2015 No Russian troops in Ukraine – Putin
- 16/04/2015 Putin denies rumors on Poroshenko’s ‘take Donbas’ offer
- 16/04/2015 Putin: Russia's S-300 air defense system supplies to Iran no threat to Israel
- 16/04/2015 Putin: I don't expect sanctions to end 'anytime soon'
- 16/04/2015 Russian, Iranian companies discuss barter deal terms: minister
- 16/04/2015 Iran nuclear deal can be secured by UN Security Council resolution — Russian diplomat
- 15/04/2015 Azerbaijani MPs of Georgian Parliament oppose the announcement of a minute of silence to so called “Armenian genocide”
- 15/04/2015 Ukraine begins to buy gas from Shell
- 15/04/2015 Russian billionaire arrested in absentia in connection with Kazan trade center fire
- 14/04/2015 S-300 worry those who don’t rule out bombings of Iran — Russian legislator
- 14/04/2015 Violence escalates in east Ukraine ahead of talks
- 14/04/2015 Putin’s spokesman: "Russia’s S-300 missile systems’ supplies to Iran may begin any moment"
- 14/04/2015 Russia opens way to missile deliveries to Iran, starts oil-for-goods swap
- 13/04/2015 Putin lifts ban on delivery of S-300 missile systems to Iran
- 13/04/2015 Russian State Duma Speaker: US arrogance causes imbalance in global security
- 13/04/2015 Russian warships preparing for upcoming military exercises in Caspian Sea
- 13/04/2015 Explosions heard at burning munitions depot in Russia's Trans-Baikal Territory
- 13/04/2015 10 died, 483 injured in Khakassia fire
- 11/04/2015 Russia dismisses U.S. claim about fighter interception
- 11/04/2015 Normandy Four foreign ministers to discuss deployment of peacekeepers in Donbas
- 10/04/2015 Ukraine military, rebels accuse each other of increased attacks
- 10/04/2015 Armenian army’s combat losses increase
- 10/04/2015 Armenian Defense Ministry not obliged to finance soldiers’ treatment abroad: Spokesperson
- 10/04/2015 Shooting of protesters ordered by Yanukovich: Ukrainian prosecutor general
- 10/04/2015 Death toll in Dalny Vostok trawler wreckage grows to 57 - Emergencies Ministry
- 10/04/2015 Russia: Putin plans amnesty for 260,000 convicts
- 09/04/2015 PACE President on official visit to Armenia
- 09/04/2015 Ukrainian parliament adopts decision on disclosing NKVD, KGB archives
- 09/04/2015 Ukrainian parliament bans communist, Nazi symbols
- 09/04/2015 Mothers of dead Armenian soldiers hold another protest
- 09/04/2015 Two women found decapitated in Russian river