In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 27/03/2015 The media reported the arrest of the FSB Deputy Governor of the Chelyabinsk region
- 27/03/2015 Visa-free agreement with Russia to come into force soon
- 27/03/2015 Kremlin seriously concerned over situation in Yemen — Putin’s spokesman
- 26/03/2015 Latvia’s non-citizens ask Russian parliament for help
- 26/03/2015 4 killed, 20 injured after bus hits landmine in Ukraine
- 26/03/2015 Kiev ready to withdraw tanks from line of contact in Donbas — Poroshenko
- 26/03/2015 Parents of deceased Armenian soldiers stage protest outside Presidential Administration of Armenia
- 26/03/2015 Moscow says U.S. security strategy "anti-Russia"
- 25/03/2015 First batch of armored Humvees from the U.S. arrived to Ukraine - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/03/2015 Poroshenko dismisses Dnepropetrovsk Governor Kolomoyskyi
- 24/03/2015 Moscow calls on US to stop financial and trade blockade of Cuba — Lavrov
- 23/03/2015 Kremlin urges France, Germany to push Ukraine more on peace deal
- 23/03/2015 Death toll in eastern Ukraine crosses 6,000 - UN
- 23/03/2015 Party of Regions releases information about death of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych’s son
- 23/03/2015 Another Armenian soldier dies of "unknown cause"
- 20/03/2015 Sanctions over Ukraine crisis linked to Minsk deal implementation: EU
- 20/03/2015 Netanyahu poised for governing coalition after final vote tally
- 19/03/2015 Moscow invites US to attend WWII Victory Day Parade
- 19/03/2015 Peskov: Date of Putin’s visit to Armenia being specified
- 19/03/2015 UK troops start training mission in Ukraine
- 19/03/2015 Armenian president makes anti-Russian statement
- 19/03/2015 Putin signs treaty integrating South Ossetia into Russia
- 18/03/2015 Russia may consider gas discount for Ukraine
- 18/03/2015 Ukraine to build fortifications along contact line with rebels
- 18/03/2015 Russia, South Ossetia sign treaty on alliance
- 18/03/2015 Russian FM: Transnistrian conflict cannot be settled with ultimatums
- 17/03/2015 U.S. vows to keep sanctions over Russian annexation of Crimea
- 17/03/2015 Fighting rages near Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire
- 16/03/2015 Lavrov: If conflict sides interested, Moscow ready to discuss sending peacekeeping mission to Donbass
- 16/03/2015 Putin comments on rumors of poor health
- 14/03/2015 Death toll rises to 19 in Russia fire
- 14/03/2015 Ukrainian doctors get meeting with Savchenko - lawyer
- 14/03/2015 Secretary general: NATO does not plan to interfere in east Ukraine conflict
- 13/03/2015 Russia rejects U.S. concerns over Vietnam base role in bomber flights
- 13/03/2015 IMF sends 1st tranche of $5 bln to Ukraine – Central Bank
- 13/03/2015 Ukraine requests UN Peacekeeping Mission
- 13/03/2015 EU extends sanctions against Russia
- 13/03/2015 Putin to meet Kyrgyz president in Saint-Petersburg, Kremlin says
- 13/03/2015 Death toll in Kazan’s trade center fire rises to 9
- 13/03/2015 Body of seven victims found at fire site at Admiral trade centre in Kazan