In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 02/10/2014 If no amendments are made to the law today, we will carry out March 1 - Stepan Aslanyan
- 02/10/2014 Russia launches criminal case against Ukraine's Defense Minister
- 02/10/2014 At least 10 killed in shelling of school and mini-van in Ukraine
- 01/10/2014 Russia won't allow replay of Ukrainian scenario on Transdniestria’s borders — Rogozin
- 01/10/2014 Ukraine-Russia-EU gas talks postponed till next week
- 30/09/2014 Representatives of “parliamentary four” call on citizens protesting against new Law on Tax to gather outside parliament building
- 30/09/2014 Iran, Russia presidents review bilateral cooperation
- 29/09/2014 There are two groups in UN Security Council – Russian ambassador to UN
- 28/09/2014 Seven dead in central China landslide
- 27/09/2014 Russian State Duma cuts foreign ownership in Russian media to 20%
- 27/09/2014 Lavrov met ICRC president on UN General Assembly sidelines
- 27/09/2014 Russia, Ukraine reach interim deal on gas dispute
- 26/09/2014 CIS leaders to discuss threats of Islamic State
- 25/09/2014 Armenian citizens who robbed 18 mln rubles from bank in Russia detained
- 25/09/2014 Ukraine's prime minister urges West not to lift sanctions on Russia
- 24/09/2014 US did not tell Russia about planned strikes against militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Moscow comments on US airstrikes on IS militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Tymoshenko: Putin has three goals now
- 23/09/2014 Vladimir Putin and Ban Ki-moon have telephone conversation
- 23/09/2014 Air strikes on Islamic State bases in Syria inadmissible without Damascus consent - Putin
- 23/09/2014 Ukraine seeks to partially replace gas with heating oil
- 23/09/2014 Compliance with Minsk agreement critical for peace in Donbass — Poroshenko, Merkel
- 23/09/2014 Three contract servicemen die during maneuvers on Sakhalin Island
- 22/09/2014 Russia's Putin looking at cooperation to fight Islamic State: agency
- 22/09/2014 Russia wants economically stable Ukraine: Putin
- 22/09/2014 40 life prisoners go on hunger strike in Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Iran’s President to visit Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Astrakhan to host 4th Caspian Summit
- 22/09/2014 Russia makes proposals during talks between P5+1 group and Tehran
- 21/09/2014 Several injured, as bus with 34 children skids off road in north-western Russia
- 21/09/2014 Medvedev: Europe will pay for sanctions against Russia
- 20/09/2014 Contact Group on Ukraine coordinates roadmap for implementing September 5 peace protocol
- 19/09/2014 Russia prepares to appeal to WTO to argue Western sanctions — Medvedev
- 19/09/2014 Russia won’t seek ‘invitation’ to coalition fighting IS – official
- 18/09/2014 Three civilians killed in eastern Ukraine
- 18/09/2014 Lavrov: No one will allow Ukraine to give up its nuclear-free status
- 18/09/2014 Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 18/09/2014 Africa conflicts must be settled under the auspices of African Union - Lavrov
- 18/09/2014 Russia is not completely confident Iran, P5+1 can work out agreement by November 24
- 17/09/2014 Tycoon's arrest sends shock wave through Russia