In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 22/10/2014 Ukraine ready to down pay for Russian gas under temporary agreement
- 21/10/2014 Ukrainian and Russian presidents had phone conversation
- 21/10/2014 Kyrgyzstan intends to join Eurasian Economic Union
- 21/10/2014 Total's CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash
- 18/10/2014 Russia and Ukraine gas agreement "close at hand"
- 18/10/2014 Putin calls participation in Asia-Europe Meeting useful
- 17/10/2014 Russia-Ukraine gas talks to continue — energy minister
- 16/10/2014 Russia to supply enough gas to Europe in winter — Putin
- 15/10/2014 Sanctions leave 99% of Russian innovative projects unaffected — deputy PM
- 14/10/2014 Latvia supports steps to freeze visa dialogue with Russia
- 13/10/2014 Russia to continue fight against Ebola — Putin
- 13/10/2014 Difference between coherent and incoherent foreign policy - ANALYSIS
- 12/10/2014 Ukraine, Russia close to settlement of gas issue - Poroshenko
- 12/10/2014 Clashes leave at least five dead in eastern Ukraine
- 10/10/2014 Thousands of people hold protest in center of Yerevan
- 10/10/2014 CIS summit kicks off in Minsk
- 10/10/2014 9 dead, 64 wounded in E.Ukraine fighting
- 10/10/2014 Putin dismisses critic Kasparov's political skills
- 09/10/2014 Armavia disbanded
- 09/10/2014 Leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany, France to meet in Milan
- 08/10/2014 Sergei Lavrov: I don’t see any logical connection between anti-Russian sanctions and normalization of situation in Ukraine
- 08/10/2014 Next meeting of CIS Foreign Ministers Council to be held in Minsk on October 9
- 08/10/2014 Petro Poroshenko: There can be no discussion on changing Ukraine's state border
- 08/10/2014 Gazprom CEO says Ukraine unable to pump sufficient gas ahead of winter
- 08/10/2014 Finance minister warns Russia can't afford military spending plan
- 07/10/2014 At least 15 killed in fresh confrontation in eastern Ukraine
- 07/10/2014 Moscow urges compromise on gas dispute with Ukraine
- 07/10/2014 Two civilians killed as fighting rages in Ukraine's Donetsk
- 06/10/2014 Russian, US diplomats discuss settlement of crisis in Ukraine
- 06/10/2014 Terrorist attack prevented in Dagestan − Russian Anti-Terrorist Committee
- 05/10/2014 Russia to deploy new missile attack warning radars in Arctic
- 05/10/2014 Bodies found near Mexico town where 43 students vanished
- 05/10/2014 West raises pressure on Russia to save Ukraine truce
- 04/10/2014 Ukraine says its forces killed 12 rebels at Donetsk airport
- 04/10/2014 Alexander Lukashenko: ‘There shouldn't be any frozen conflicts like Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh in Ukraine’
- 04/10/2014 946 Ukrainian soldiers killed in conflict: Poroshenko
- 03/10/2014 Date for Russia-Ukraine-EU gas talks to be set after October 7 — Russian energy minister
- 03/10/2014 13 reported dead in eastern Ukraine confrontation
- 03/10/2014 Three militants killed in special operation in Dagestan
- 02/10/2014 If no amendments are made to the law today, we will carry out March 1 - Stepan Aslanyan