In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 28/11/2014 Russia ruble hits historic low after OPEC decision
- 27/11/2014 Russian, Ukrainian PMs discuss cooperation by phone
- 27/11/2014 Arseniy Yatsenyuk to head government again - PHOTO
- 27/11/2014 Volodymyr Groysman appointed as Verkhovna Rada speaker
- 27/11/2014 Kremlin denies alleged threats during Putin-Poroshenko phone conversation
- 27/11/2014 Russia looks to sell beef, poultry, processed meat to Turkey
- 26/11/2014 Russian troops giving 'backbone' to Ukraine rebels: NATO commander
- 26/11/2014 Russia ready to build South Stream if Europe wants to reduce transit risks — minister
- 26/11/2014 Russian, Syrian foreign ministers to meet
- 25/11/2014 Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite can suffer the same fate as Georgian ex-president Mikheil Saakashvili – State Duma speaker
- 25/11/2014 Yuri Zhadobin dismissed as Belarus' Defense Minister
- 25/11/2014 Ukraine to remove Great Patriotic War mentions from textbooks
- 25/11/2014 Vladimir Putin to hold traditional press briefing on December 18
- 25/11/2014 Russian president signs anti-offshore law
- 25/11/2014 Russia suspends coal export to Ukraine
- 25/11/2014 Russia announces establishment of new Arctic military command
- 25/11/2014 Ukraine to hold referendum on joining NATO
- 24/11/2014 Putin strengthens ties with Georgia breakaway region; Tbilisi protests
- 24/11/2014 Ukraine leader, under pressure from West, pledges new government soon
- 24/11/2014 Ukraine's Naftogaz to buy 1 billion cubic meters of Russian gas
- 24/11/2014 Minister: “Russia is losing $40 bln per year from western sanctions”
- 24/11/2014 Azerbaijani gang detained in Moscow
- 24/11/2014 Some 40 states plan to create free trade zone with Eurasian Economic Union – State Duma speaker
- 23/11/2014 Tanker truck burning in accident on Moscow’s ring road
- 23/11/2014 Russia may develop hypersonic weapons before end of this decade
- 22/11/2014 U.S. provides counter-mortar radar systems to Ukraine
- 22/11/2014 Head of Ukraine's Security Service proposes to ban Communist Party
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree to form parliamentary coalition
- 21/11/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cross-border shelling
- 21/11/2014 Ashgabat hosting CIS Heads of Government Council meeting
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree on position, sign coalition agreement
- 20/11/2014 Obama should have gotten 'Nobel War Prize' — Russian MP
- 20/11/2014 Lavrov: “World community should give rebuff to Islamic State, other extremist groups”
- 20/11/2014 Former PM of Kazakhstan under house arrest
- 19/11/2014 Fresh violence in eastern Ukraine leaves 5 dead
- 19/11/2014 Putin backs deeper ties with North Korea after meeting Kim envoy
- 19/11/2014 Ukrainian PM rules out direct talks with rebels
- 19/11/2014 Russia blasts Ukraine for payment freeze
- 19/11/2014 Russia to allocate $270m to Armenia for repair of Metsamor nuclear power plant
- 19/11/2014 Russia needs guarantees Ukraine will not join NATO – Peskov