In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 23/05/2015 Commander of “Ghost” brigade (LPR Army) Aleksey Mozgovoy was assassinated
- 22/05/2015 Agreement on EUR 1.8 bln macro-financial aid to Ukraine signed in Riga
- 22/05/2015 Serbia not to impose sanctions on Russia, Serbian president says
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready to help Iraq defeat Islamic State: Lavrov
- 21/05/2015 Kyrgyz president signs ratification to join Eurasian Economic Union
- 21/05/2015 3 dead, nearly 20 injured in bus crash in Russia
- 21/05/2015 Ukraine to halt military-technical cooperation with Russia
- 21/05/2015 Russia ready for win-win cooperation with West: Lavrov
- 20/05/2015 Russia promises response to US missile defense systems in Ukraine
- 20/05/2015 Russia Claims No 'Post-Soviet Monopoly' - Lavrov - PHOTO
- 20/05/2015 US, NATO’s growing offensive power near Russia creates threats - official
- 19/05/2015 OSCE chief monitor says situation around Ukraine's Shirokino will be settled within days
- 19/05/2015 Ukraine says it will prosecute captured Russian soldiers for terrorist acts
- 18/05/2015 Armenian MP: Syunik provincial governor is drug addict
- 15/05/2015 Yatsenyuk, Nuland discuss cooperation in returning ex-officials’ money back to Ukraine
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine objects to further delay of trade deal with EU
- 14/05/2015 Ukraine's interior minister may be dismissed
- 13/05/2015 Andrei Kazantsev: “The United States understood that Russia can't be ignored on important issues” - OPINION
- 12/05/2015 Putin-Kerry meeting underway in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Lavrov, Kerry meet in Sochi
- 12/05/2015 Agenda for Putin-Kerry meeting is broad – Kremlin
- 11/05/2015 Russian president, US secretary of state to meet in Sochi tomorrow
- 08/05/2015 Lukashenko: If Ukraine quits CIS, it will be difficult to return
- 08/05/2015 Former Russian Defense Ministry’s official sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 08/05/2015 US refuses to grant visa to Robert Kocharian's son and his wife
- 08/05/2015 Ukraine's Poroshenko slams 'appeasement' of Moscow
- 07/05/2015 Putin meets with Raul Castro, hails Russian-Cuban ties
- 07/05/2015 President: Belarus ready to do its utmost for peace in Ukraine
- 07/05/2015 Cuba's Castro starts Russian visit ahead of WWII parade
- 07/05/2015 5 Ukrainian troops killed as cease-fire teeters on brink
- 06/05/2015 Russian FM’s visit to Turkey for May 16 postponed
- 06/05/2015 IL-76 aircraft evacuating Ukrainians from Nepal to land in Baku
- 06/05/2015 Slovenia, Russia vow to continue trade cooperation despite tough sanctions
- 04/05/2015 So-called South Ossetian parliament speaker hosted by Armenian National Assembly chairman
- 04/05/2015 Donbass war set to flare up again
- 01/05/2015 Poroshenko: the war in Ukraine will over when Donbass in back in Ukraine
- 01/05/2015 4 killed in fresh clashes in E. Ukraine
- 30/04/2015 Ukrainian environmentalists call to abandon use of nuclear plants
- 29/04/2015 Lukashenko: Peace to come with US joining settlement of Ukraine crisis
- 29/04/2015 Yatsenyuk: not enough equipment for effort to put out fire near Chernobyl NPP