In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
- 21/09/2014 Several injured, as bus with 34 children skids off road in north-western Russia
- 21/09/2014 Medvedev: Europe will pay for sanctions against Russia
- 20/09/2014 Contact Group on Ukraine coordinates roadmap for implementing September 5 peace protocol
- 19/09/2014 Russia prepares to appeal to WTO to argue Western sanctions — Medvedev
- 19/09/2014 Russia won’t seek ‘invitation’ to coalition fighting IS – official
- 18/09/2014 Three civilians killed in eastern Ukraine
- 18/09/2014 Lavrov: No one will allow Ukraine to give up its nuclear-free status
- 18/09/2014 Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 18/09/2014 Africa conflicts must be settled under the auspices of African Union - Lavrov
- 18/09/2014 Russia is not completely confident Iran, P5+1 can work out agreement by November 24
- 17/09/2014 Tycoon's arrest sends shock wave through Russia
- 17/09/2014 Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion
- 17/09/2014 Adviser to Ukrainian President: Fight against armed groups to continue in Donbass
- 17/09/2014 Chairman of European Committee for Prevention of Torture Latif Huseynov conducts monitoring in Ukraine
- 16/09/2014 Russia's defense minister says sending extra troops to Crimea a priority
- 16/09/2014 US policies pushing world towards “new cold war”, Duma Speaker
- 16/09/2014 Ukraine, EU ratify association agreement
- 16/09/2014 EU sanctions limit opportunities for dialogue: Moscow
- 15/09/2014 Oldest descendant of Romanov royal dynasty dies
- 15/09/2014 Medvedev: Western sanctions test Russia for durability
- 14/09/2014 Earthquake hits Iran
- 14/09/2014 NATO expansion to Russian borders unacceptable: Lavrov
- 13/09/2014 Ukrainian PM: NATO Not Ready to Accept Ukraine in Near Future
- 13/09/2014 Russia may restrict import of petrochemical, engineering products from US, EU - minister
- 13/09/2014 Russia to strike back at U.S. sanctions while leaving door open for dialogue
- 13/09/2014 U.S. steps up sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 13/09/2014 Ukraine's leader sees no military solution of crisis, vows reforms
- 12/09/2014 Conflict in eastern Ukraine causes 911 mln USD losses: deputy PM
- 12/09/2014 New anti-Russian sanctions will not be left without proper reaction from Moscow - FM
- 12/09/2014 UN chief urges Poroshenko to continue dialogue with Russia, keep truce
- 11/09/2014 Sanctions against Russia strategic error - deputy PM
- 11/09/2014 Russian provider of air traffic services suspends air navigation services for Air Armenia airline
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says Russia withdrawing forces from east, sees boost for peace
- 11/09/2014 Bus crashes into tree in Shemakhi: 2 killed, 13 injured
- 11/09/2014 Ukraine says cease-fire "effective"
- 11/09/2014 Putin promises new weapons to fend Western threats
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko pledges autonomy for east Ukraine
- 10/09/2014 Moldova to get Russian gas from Romania if Ukraine blocks its transit -minister
- 10/09/2014 Poroshenko says Russia moves 70 percent of forces back across border
- 09/09/2014 Russian Missile Warning System Tracks Ballistic Missile Launch Towards Israel: Ministry