Ekho Moskvy radio not to apologize for host Shenderovich’s statements
In his blog post dated February 10 and dedicated to the 2014 Winter Olympics currently underway in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Shenderovich in fact compared the ongoing Games to the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. Vladimir Vasilyev, who leads the ruling United Russia party’s faction in the lower house of parliament, urged Ekho Moskvy to apologize for Shenderovich’s "fascist” statements.
Shenderovich recalled the victory of German athlete Hans Woellke in men's shot put competition at the 1936 Olympics. "There is something about his victory that prevents us from rejoicing at it today,” he wrote.
“It is probably the final price paid for that sporting exploit - the price that incorporates Dachau [concentration camp], Coventry [bombed by Germany in 1940], Khatyn [Belarusian village whose population was massacred by Nazi collaborators] and Leningrad [that came under siege from the German army],” he said in his post.
“It was not Hans’s fault, of course, but he seems to have contributed,” Shenderovich said.
Venediktov told Itar-Tass: “I have seen the blog and can say that I personally do not see anything fascist in it.”
“The Ekho Moskvy radio will not apologize for it. Besides, it is Shenderovich’s original text only posted on the website in his [own] blog,” the Ekho Moskvy editor-in-chief said.
“Our radio station’s website presents very many different viewpoints on the Olympics. Shenderovich’s blog is just one of the opinions,” he said.
United Russia’s Vasilyev said Shenderovich’s statement caused “perplexity.” “We already have a campaign that appeals to public opinion. I am speaking about the situation with [the] Dozhd [TV channel],” Vasilyev said.
“Now there was a statement on Ekho for which, it seems to me, apologies will have to be made,” he said.
Dozhd provoked outrage in Russia in January when it posted a survey asking respondents if the Soviet Union should have surrendered Leningrad, besieged by the German armed forces, to the Nazis to avoid mass deaths.
Leningrad was historically and is currently known as St. Petersburg.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2016Poroshenko congratulates Savchenko on return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Savchenko makes first speech upon return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Russia frees Ukraine pilot Savchenko in prisoner swap
- 25.05.2016Plane carrying Savchenko departs to Kiev - UPDATED
- 25.05.2016Almost 3,000 Russians left country to join terrorist groups
- 25.05.2016Food, uniforms intended for Armenian army on sale in Poland
- 25.05.2016Poverty deepening in Armenia
- 25.05.2016Ticket sales from Russia to Azerbaijan increased by 90 percent
- 25.05.2016Five gunmen supporting IS detained in North Caucasus — ministry
- 24.05.2016Russia ready to set up broad anti-terrorist front
- 24.05.2016Russian Defense Ministry summons US Embassy attache over spotted reconnaissance plane
- 24.05.2016Russia calls for 'regime of calm' in Syria's Eastern Ghouta and Daraya
- 23.05.2016Russia blasts NATO for Cold War mentality
- 23.05.2016Armenian president dismisses another general of Armed Forces
- 21.05.2016IS cell members detained in Russia’s Ingushetia
- 20.05.2016Russia proposes joint airstrikes on Syria rebels with U.S.-led coalition
- 19.05.2016Russia's FSB chief says terrorist attack may be behind EgyptAir flight crash
- 19.05.2016Gunman shot dead after taking 6 hostage in Moscow bank
- 18.05.2016Kiev refuses to pay for Russian gas sent to Donbass
- 17.05.2016Mass brawl erupts between Chechen and Dagestani wrestlers in Russia
- 15.05.2016Russia retains right to respond to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe - ministry
- 15.05.2016Militants kill two police in Russia's Dagestan, Islamic State claims responsibility
- 14.05.2016Mass brawl occurred at cemetery, MoscowMass brawl occurred at cemetery, Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.05.2016Helicopter crashes into lake in Russia
- 14.05.2016News Feed Magnitude 4.9 earthquake registered on Dagestan-Chechnya border
- 14.05.2016Russia will act to neutralize U.S. missile shield threat: Putin
- 13.05.2016Kyrgyzstan detains former officials on suspicion of trying to seize power
- 12.05.2016Russia to ban imports of lemon from Turkey
- 12.05.2016Ukraine's auto production drops 27.5 pct
- 12.05.2016Russia says U.S. partners in Europe not threatened by Iranian missiles
- 12.05.2016Russian weapons performed well in Syria but more improvement needed: Putin
- 10.05.2016Russia, Egypt discuss resumption of direct flights
- 08.05.2016Forest fire emergency Declared in Russian Far East
- 07.05.2016Russia says truce extended for 72 hours in Aleppo, Latakia
- 07.05.2016Moscow regards preparations for US-Georgian drills as provocation
- 06.05.2016Russia's Lavrov: U.S. must give us legal guarantee over Asian anti-missile system
- 06.05.2016Terror attack in Russia thwarted - FSB
- 06.05.2016Suspect in high-profile murder of Russian journalist detained
- 06.05.2016Ohanyan: Russia does not allow Armenia to buy arms and ammunition from any other country
- 04.05.2016Armenian website director arrested for blackmailing MP