The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
- 30/07/2014 ICRC representatives visit Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians in Kalbajar
- 30/07/2014 Ali Hasanov seriously warns Head of ICRC Azerbaijan Delegation
- 30/07/2014 Andrzej Kasprzyk: We are informing OSCE MG on developments regarding Azerbaijanis taken hostages by Armenians in Kalbajar
- 29/07/2014 ICRC automobile comes under crossfire on Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 27/07/2014 Hasan Hasanov killed by Armenians in Kalbajar buried in Nagorno Karabakh
- 26/07/2014 ICRC representatives meet with Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians in Kalbajar
- 25/07/2014 Russian ambassador: Letter sent by Dilgam Asgarov’s family to be considered carefully
- 25/07/2014 Armenian Defense Minister says new security systems being developed along all border sectors
- 24/07/2014 Brother of Hasan Hasanov killed by Armenians in Kalbajar: There are some unknown points and they will become clear after examination of body in Azerbaijan
- 24/07/2014 Body of Hasan Hasanov killed by Armenians in Kalbajar shown to ICRC representative in Nagorno Karabakh
- 24/07/2014 Azerbaijani State Commitee: ICRC has already started talks to return Hasan Hasanov’s corpse
- 24/07/2014 Warlick: Nagorno-Karabakh settlement should be priority, even with many global concerns
- 23/07/2014 Bayram Safarov: Calling civilians “saboteur” is another crazy idea of Armenians
- 23/07/2014 Aghdam in memories of foreign photographer: "It was a beautiful city, I don’t want to go there once more..."
- 23/07/2014 Ali Hasanov: If international organizations can not resolve the conflict, let them step aside and the two neighboring states solve the problem themselves
- 23/07/2014 Ali Hasanov: Armenians are torturing Azerbaijanis taken hostages in Kalbajar
- 23/07/2014 Deputy Prime Minister: The Azerbaijani people do not believe the OSCE Minsk Group
- 23/07/2014 Co-Chairs to brief OSCE Secretariat on Nagorno Karabakh talks
- 23/07/2014 Alley of Martyrs visited on anniversary of occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam region by Armenia
- 23/07/2014 21 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam region by Armenian armed forces
- 22/07/2014 Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 22/07/2014 US Co-Chair: We hope that Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will accept the invitation to a summit in Paris - INTERVIEW
- 22/07/2014 Armenian Armavir city mayor’s car hits landmine in Kalbajar, driver killed, mayor and other two persons injured
- 22/07/2014 Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs to meet in Brussels
- 21/07/2014 Ali Hasanov receives Head of Azerbaijan Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross
- 21/07/2014 Azerbaijan Defense Ministry: The ceasefire was violated 15 times in various directions
- 19/07/2014 The body of Tartar resident, killed by Armenian armed forces, handed over to his family
- 19/07/2014 Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs to meet in Brussels
- 18/07/2014 Ambassador: “Iran is against deployment of foreign peace-keeping forces in Nagorno Karabakh”
- 18/07/2014 Armenian soldier dies in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 18/07/2014 Ali Hasanov gives warning to ICRC Azerbaijani representation
- 18/07/2014 Meeting with Azerbaijani hostages failed, Ali Hasanov says
- 17/07/2014 New French OSCE Co-Chair holding consultations on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement in US
- 17/07/2014 State Commission says Azerbaijani hostages not breached any state borders
- 16/07/2014 KLO, ICRC representatives hold discussions on Azerbaijanis taken hostage in Kalbajar
- 16/07/2014 European organizations advocate peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict, Latvian ambassador says
- 16/07/2014 Assessment of natural resources in Azerbaijan’s territories occupied by Armenians starts
- 16/07/2014 Brother of Hasan Hasanov reportedly killed by Armenians: “He told us he was going to Turkey”
- 15/07/2014 Criminal case launched on Azerbaijanis taken hostage in Kalbajar, Nagorno-Karabakh separatist regime says
- 15/07/2014 Azerbaijani State Commission issues statement regarding its citizens detained by Armenia