World première of Khojaly 613 by Pierre Thilloy moves a Parisian audience
The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
Related news releases
- 11.02.2016Azerbaijani Deputy FM: "OSCE Minsk Group should intensify activities"
- 11.02.2016US permanent representative to OSCE: Status quo on Karabakh conflict neither acceptable nor sustainable
- 11.02.2016OSCE MG supports balanced and peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 11.02.201624 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli and Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan's Shusha
- 10.02.2016US ambassador: Azerbaijan’s occupied territories must be returned as part of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.02.2016Enlarged OSCE MG meeting may be held, says Swedish FM
- 10.02.2016Azerbaijani FM: No meeting planned with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 10.02.2016U.S. Director of National Intelligence: “Hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh may resume in 2016”
- 09.02.2016Azerbaijani MFA: Efforts should be focused on withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijani lands rather than on auxiliary issues
- 09.02.2016No military solution to Karabakh conflict – Swedish FM
- 09.02.2016US congressman: Nuland played special role in disapproval of Nagorno-Karabakh resolution by PACE
- 08.02.2016Dilgam and Shahbaz held hostage in Armenia to communicate with their family members on Skype – State Committee
- 06.02.2016Neither Russia nor EU ultimately winning from protracted standoffs – ICG
- 05.02.2016Khojaly victims to be commemorated in Poland
- 05.02.2016OSCE MG says not satisfied with status quo in Karabakh conflict
- 05.02.2016Karabakh conflict should be perceived as potential crisis in EU’s immediate neighborhood - European Policy Centre
- 05.02.2016OSCE calls for mechanism to investigate ceasefire violations on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.02.2016James Warlick: MG co-chairs didn’t condemn discussions on Nagorno-Karabakh in PACE
- 04.02.2016ICRC representatives visit Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 04.02.2016Russian deputy FM, EU rep discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 04.02.2016Andrzej Kasprzyk’s mandate extended for 19th time
- 03.02.2016Andrzej Kasprzyk visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 03.02.2016OSCE MG co-chairs considering visit to region in near future
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan discloses number of destructed monuments in Armenian-occupied territories
- 03.02.2016Plan of events on 24th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide approved in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani FM: “We have sent letter of protest to FM's of the co-chairing countries”
- 02.02.2016France doesn’t export arms to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict parties – embassy
- 02.02.2016Armenian FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs soon
- 01.02.2016President Aliyev: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 30.01.2016OSCE MG turned into useless organization: Azerbaijani official
- 30.01.2016President Ilham Aliyev: “The activities of the OSCE Minsk Group is absolutely meaningless”
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to be restored – President Aliyev
- 27.01.2016German supports Minsk Group initiative on forming investigative mechanisms over incidents
- 27.01.2016Sustainable Development Goals Fund distorts Azerbaijani geographical names
- 26.01.2016PACE adopts report titled ‘Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water’
- 26.01.2016Russian, Iranian diplomats discuss Karabakh conflict
- 26.01.2016No documents contributed to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement, says Russian FM
- 26.01.201624 years pass since Dashalti operation
- 25.01.2016PUIC recognizes Khojaly genocide
- 25.01.2016OSCE concerned over prolonged Nagorno-Karabakh conflict