The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
- 24/10/2014 International organizations still remain indifferent to Azerbaijani hostages – Deputy PM
- 24/10/2014 Exact date, place and format of upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian and French presidents in Paris publicized
- 24/10/2014 Spokesman for Polish National Court Council: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev should be resolved within international law
- 23/10/2014 Co-chairs share expectations from upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Presidents in Paris
- 22/10/2014 ‘Save Azerbaijani hostages’ campaign launched in 5 languages on social networks for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 22/10/2014 Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh hosts meeting with EU Special Representative for South Caucasus - PHOTO
- 22/10/2014 ICRC comments on Armenia’s intention to hold trial of Azerbaijanis taken hostages in Kalbajar
- 22/10/2014 Malena Mard: We expect that steps taken will change status quo
- 21/10/2014 MP Elkhan Suleymanov sends protest letter to European People’s Party
- 21/10/2014 U.S. co-chair James Warlick’s mother dies
- 20/10/2014 French MFA: We don’t recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as independent state
- 18/10/2014 Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia: “If the co-chair countries don’t want a new war, they should exert pressure on Armenia more actively”
- 18/10/2014 OSCE MG Co-Chairs issue statement on outcomes of their visit to region
- 18/10/2014 Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 11 times within 24 hours
- 16/10/2014 Artur Rasizade: No solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict except within territorial integrity
- 15/10/2014 Azerbaijani President demands co-chairs to take serious steps for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 15/10/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: We can start to develop peace treaty on basis of co-chairs’ structural proposals
- 15/10/2014 French official: Azerbaijani and Armenian Presidents’ meeting is one of priorities in October
- 14/10/2014 Nagorno Karabakh conflict to be discussed at Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- 13/10/2014 OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 09/10/2014 OSCE monitoring on Armenian-Azerbaijani contact line ends without incident
- 09/10/2014 PACE President: We’re trying to strengthen relations and contacts between Azerbaijani and Armenian delegations
- 09/10/2014 French Ambassador: President Hollande wants to give new impetus to negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 09/10/2014 Azerbaijani President: "If Armenia once again resort to provocations, once again will get decent answer"
- 08/10/2014 OSCE to conduct monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani and Armenian troops
- 04/10/2014 Father of Hasan Hasanov, killed by Armenians: 'My son was martyred for motherland and the Azerbaijani people'
- 04/10/2014 Armenians violate ceasefire in direction of Goranboy
- 02/10/2014 Azerbaijan expressed its attitude to the Armenian media about returning POW Hagop Indzhigulyan to Iravan
- 02/10/2014 Azerbaijan sends note to France
- 02/10/2014 German publicist: Politicians who demand imposition of sanctions against Russia do not demonstrate a decent position on Karabakh issue
- 02/10/2014 ICRC issues statement on return of body of Hasan Hasanov killed by Armenians in Kalbajar
- 02/10/2014 ISESCO Director General: I state on behalf of ISESCO that Nagorno-Karabakh’s occupation should be put an end
- 01/10/2014 PACE appoints special rapporteur on situation in occupied Nagorno Karabakh and surrounding regions
- 01/10/2014 Azerbaijani Ambassador to UK sends letter to Financial Times regarding article on Nagorno Karabakh
- 01/10/2014 NK status can’t be determined unless refugees and internally displaced persons return to their lands – Sergei Markov
- 30/09/2014 CoE Social Affairs Committee discusses draft information memorandum for motion on “Inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water”
- 30/09/2014 Ali Hasanov urges UN to facilitate return of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenians
- 30/09/2014 Conservative Home and TEAS host joint reception
- 29/09/2014 Decision on preparation of report on “increase of tension in Nagorno Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan” passed at PACE plenary meeting
- 29/09/2014 Monitoring to be held on contact line