The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
- 27/03/2015 Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to OSCE: Armenia carries out systematic policy aimed at changing demographic, historical and cultural character of occupied territories
- 26/03/2015 EU: We continued to fully support OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and peace-building activities
- 25/03/2015 Journalist who illegally visited Nagorno Karabakh: It seems that I won’t be further allowed to enter Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 25/03/2015 Participants of Media Forum held in Armenia visited Nagorno Karabakh illegally
- 25/03/2015 Armenian armed units violate ceasefire 50 times
- 20/03/2015 Azerbaijani President: "We will achieve the desired, restore historical justice and our territorial integrity"
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: As always at this time, too, the names of the soldiers only from Armenia have been released among dead
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijani President: Our martyrs' blood being avenged
- 19/03/2015 Azerbaijani army kills three Armenian soldiers
- 18/03/2015 Johannes Hahn: EU is contributing to Nagorno-Karabakh negotiations underway within OSCE MG
- 18/03/2015 Samad Seyidov: Armenia’s being away sanctions absolutely nonsense
- 18/03/2015 Sweden MFA: Events such as so-called elections should not prejudice peaceful settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 18/03/2015 Azerbaijani FM: Armenia has turned down proposal
- 18/03/2015 Azerbaijan discussing issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev through diplomatic channels – FM
- 18/03/2015 Foreign Ministry: "The Armenian and Azerbaijani community of Nagorno Karabakh can determine their own destiny after the withdrawal of Armenian armed forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan"
- 16/03/2015 Director of Khojaly genocide play in Italy threatened by Armenians
- 14/03/2015 US will support settlement of conflict within MG – Ambassador
- 13/03/2015 Azerbaijan ready to start working on Comprehensive Peace Agreement – FM
- 13/03/2015 Armenia demonstrates destructive position against CoE resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict – Ogtay Asadov
- 13/03/2015 ICRC representatives visit Azerbaijani hostages kept in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 13/03/2015 Armenians fire on civilians in Aghdam district - PHOTOSESSION
- 13/03/2015 James Warlick: Meetings in Minsk on Nagorno Karabakh peace were helpful
- 13/03/2015 Azerbaijani President: "We will restore our territorial integrity"
- 12/03/2015 Hikmet Hajiyev: "Armenia has no political, legal and moral basis to speak about human rights"
- 12/03/2015 Robert Walter: Armenia wanted PACE report on Nagorno-Karabakh to be prepared by OSCE MG
- 12/03/2015 PACE rapporteur on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12/03/2015 James Warlick: We are working to prepare a substantive agenda for presidents’ next meeting - INTERVIEW
- 10/03/2015 US Ambassador: Release of Azerbaijani hostages would be humanitarian gesture
- 10/03/2015 US believes in Minsk Group format – Ambassador
- 10/03/2015 Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia again ignores international community’s calls and humanitarian principles
- 10/03/2015 Endless Corridor screened on Albanian national TV channel
- 10/03/2015 “Justice for Khojaly!” campaign on Dublin City Radio
- 10/03/2015 ‘Court of appeal’ of separatist Nagorno Karabakh regime upholds ‘verdict’ on Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 06/03/2015 State Commission uncovers fact of another 4 persons who have gone missing in pre-ceasefire fights
- 05/03/2015 Russia concerned over escalation of tension on contact line of Azerbaijani and Armenian troops
- 03/03/2015 Foreign Ministry: Calling on international community to combat terrorism, Nalbandyan should first present Armenia’s ‘experience and example’
- 03/03/2015 Ghent University of Belgium holds conference on Khojaly tragedy - PHOTO
- 03/03/2015 Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 03/03/2015 Utah State recognizes Khojaly Massacre
- 02/03/2015 Number of illegal visits made to occupied Azerbaijani territories dramatically reduced – MFA spokesman