The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
- 31/08/2015 Azerbaijan's Foreign Ministry condemns organization of concert in Khankendi attended by Lyubov Kazarnovskaya and others
- 31/08/2015 22 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenians
- 28/08/2015 Russian Foreign Ministry: The odds of West and Russia should not affect the settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 27/08/2015 James Warlick: We need renewed commitment at highest level to finding peaceful resolution of conflict
- 27/08/2015 Armenia suspends construction of military academy in Azerbaijan’s occupied Aghdere district
- 26/08/2015 ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenians
- 25/08/2015 Azerbaijan won’t praise OSCE unless Armenians troops withdraw from occupied territories – FM
- 25/08/2015 OSCE reps meet with Azerbaijanis residing in areas along contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian armies
- 24/08/2015 UK Foreign Office: Occupation of Azerbaijani lands must be brought to end
- 24/08/2015 OSCE to conduct monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22/08/2015 Seyran Ohanyan: “No changes must be made in number of Minsk Group Co-Chair countries”
- 20/08/2015 Azerbaijani MFA: Article published on Nezavisimaya Gazeta contains political, judicial, historical and spiritual falsification
- 13/08/2015 Armenians commit arson in occupied territories of Aghdam
- 13/08/2015 Hikmet Hajiyev: People, who will attend concert in Khankendi, become tool in promotion of ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijani people
- 13/08/2015 OSCE to conduct monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 11/08/2015 Armenians commit arsons in occupied Azerbaijani villages
- 10/08/2015 Foreign Ministry: Yerevan is exposing its lies issuing absurd statements that there are not Azerbaijani POWs and hostages in Armenia and occupied territories
- 07/08/2015 Azerbaijani Defense Minister discussed situation on the front line with the personal representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 06/08/2015 Azerbaijan downs two Armenian drones in Aghdam - PHOTOSESSION
- 06/08/2015 Deputy Chairman of Justice and Development Party: If Armenia wants to live in peace, it must withdraw from Nagorno-Karabakh
- 04/08/2015 Bayram Safarov: I know that Russia recognizes territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 31/07/2015 Azerbaijan investigates whether large amount of heroin seized in Romania was delivered via Nagorno-Karabakh or not
- 28/07/2015 Visit of a group of Russian bikers to occupied territories of Azerbaijan is under investigation
- 25/07/2015 Seyran Ohanyan discusses situation along Armenia-Azerbaijan border with Russian Main Intelligence director
- 24/07/2015 The Defense Ministry: Seyran Ohanyan’s empty views are considered for Armenian people isolated from the international community and become the victim of collapse
- 24/07/2015 EurActiv”: The status quo in Nagorno Karabakh just became harder to maintain
- 24/07/2015 How is it that separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh receives assistance and Bako Sahakyan obtains Schengen visa?, says Azerbaijani official
- 24/07/2015 No agreement on meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents in New York, says PA official
- 24/07/2015 Azerbaijan expects fair position on territorial integrity, PA official says
- 23/07/2015 OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue joint statement on the results of the visit to region
- 23/07/2015 James Warlick: “We welcome support from EU and other organizations towards to the settlement of Nagorno Karabakh”
- 23/07/2015 James Warlick: “I think the period of war is in the past”
- 23/07/2015 US co-chair: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Helsinki Final Act principles
- 23/07/2015 Deployment of peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh has been discussed for years, says US co-chair
- 23/07/2015 OSCE MG wants continuation of recent tranquility along contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops – James Warlick
- 23/07/2015 OSCE MG hopeful for intensification of negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement, says Russian co-chair
- 23/07/2015 US keeping confidence in OSCE Minsk Group in Karabakh settlement - official
- 23/07/2015 Azerbaijani president receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 23/07/2015 22 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 23/07/2015 James Warlick: A negotiated settlement is possible if the parties are ready and willing