The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
- 23/05/2015 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Armenia, signing final declaration of Riga summit, reiterates its support for territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan
- 22/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: “The double standards existing in the world do not facilitate conflict settlement”
- 22/05/2015 MG co-chairs meet OSCE chair
- 22/05/2015 United States House of Representatives from the state of Connecticut once again issued a statement on Khojaly tragedy
- 21/05/2015 Azerbaijani embassy in China instructed to inform Chinese Foreign Ministry about Armenian provocation - MFA
- 21/05/2015 Armenia incapable of taking serious steps toward Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement – top official
- 21/05/2015 OSCE to conduct monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 21/05/2015 What kind of cross-border cooperation does EU Commissioner speak about? - ANALYSIS
- 20/05/2015 Azerbaijan sends protest note to France
- 19/05/2015 Robert Sekuta: "The United States continues its efforts to solve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18/05/2015 Alley of Martyrs visited on occasion of 23rd anniversary of Lachin’s occupation
- 18/05/2015 23 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin region by Armenians
- 15/05/2015 Pakistani Foreign Ministry: Parliamentary election held in Azerbaijan's occupied territory - clear violation of international norms
- 14/05/2015 Azerbaijani parliament’s speaker: Armenian leadership does not give up aggressive position
- 14/05/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia carried out policy of ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijan
- 13/05/2015 Lithuanian journalist: When Armenia will admit Nagorno-Karabakh occupation was injustice?
- 13/05/2015 Warlick: Co-chairs will visit region in near future to arrange meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12/05/2015 French senator: Armenia occupied Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts
- 12/05/2015 21 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11/05/2015 European Parliament: Occupation by one Eastern Partnership country of territory of another violates fundamental principles
- 08/05/2015 Public Union head: Armenian government penalizes citizens who try to build ties with Azerbaijan
- 08/05/2015 Shusha: 23 years under Armenian occupation
- 06/05/2015 Azerbaijani FM: “The fact of occupation shall be ceased for the resolution of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 06/05/2015 Ali Hasanov: I will continue to criticize co-chair countries until I return to my homeland
- 06/05/2015 US expert urges government to take serious steps to implement 4 UNSC resolutions
- 06/05/2015 James Warlick meets Serzh Sargsyan in Washington
- 06/05/2015 MFA: Slovenia does not recognize 'parliamentary elections' in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05/05/2015 Ambassador: No Iranian company is operating in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05/05/2015 Iran does not recognize self-proclaimed “Nagorno-Karabakh Republic” – ambassador
- 04/05/2015 James Appathurai: “NATO supports the OSCE Minsk Group’s recent statement on the “elections” in Nagorno Karabakh
- 04/05/2015 Czech Republic does not recognize so-called “elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 04/05/2015 Ukrainian Foreign Ministry: “Elections” in occupied Azerbaijani territories cannot yield a legal result
- 04/05/2015 Georgia does not recognize so-called “elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 04/05/2015 Armenian troops carried out ethnic cleansing in Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 02/05/2015 Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh issues statement condemning “elections” in territories occupied by Armenia
- 02/05/2015 Spain considers so-called "elections" to be held in Nagorno Karabakh illegitimate
- 02/05/2015 Azerbaijani President: "Occupation of the territories is the main obstacle for the normalization of relations"
- 01/05/2015 ICRC representatives meet with Armenian serviceman held in Azerbaijan
- 01/05/2015 Azerbaijan likely to launch criminal cases against “observes” at upcoming “elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 01/05/2015 OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue joint statement on the results of meeting with Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers