World première of Khojaly 613 by Pierre Thilloy moves a Parisian audience
The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2016Gudrat Hasanguliyev raises objection to Armenian MP's speech at NATO PA meeting
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents may meet in France
- 28.05.2016Time to replace status quo in Karabakh conflict with efforts that can bring peace – OSCE PA
- 28.05.2016Azerbaijani President: "We will never allow a second Armenian state was created on our lands"
- 27.05.2016ICRC representatives visit Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians
- 27.05.2016Ambassador: Whoever says Russia can settle Karabakh conflict in 15-20 minutes ‘is mistaken’
- 27.05.2016Armenia holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 27.05.2016Elkhan Suleymanov: ACSDA project enjoys great importance irrespective of White House response
- 27.05.2016Armenian Gen admits territories liberated by Azerbaijan highly strategic
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijan: Ceasefire aimed at creating conditions for comprehensive, substantive talks
- 26.05.2016To sign any document impossible without Nagorno-Karabakh’s participation in negotiations – Armenian FM
- 26.05.2016Russia doing everything possible to resolve Karabakh conflict – Foreign Ministry
- 26.05.2016Armenia impedes sending of UNESCO fact-finding mission to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs on May 31
- 26.05.2016Armenian FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in early June
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani FM: Vienna meeting created favorable conditions for substantial talks
- 26.05.2016Over 30 houses destroyed by Armenians in Terter, Aghdam rebuilt
- 26.05.2016Armenian soldier dies in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 25.05.2016Former Armenian scout: Areas retaken by Azerbaijan are of great tactical, operative importance
- 25.05.2016Reports on "statement" spread in UN by so-called regime in Armenia - another fabrication
- 25.05.2016Azerbaijani FM ready to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs – Foreign Ministry
- 24.05.2016OSCE PA Special Representative calls for parliamentary support to Nagorno-Karabakh peace resolution
- 24.05.2016Warlick: No immediate plans to visit region
- 24.05.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA annual session
- 24.05.2016Iranian supreme leader’s rep: Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2016Armenia deploys persons unfit for service to frontline
- 23.05.2016Grad missile engine, unexploded artillery shell found at front line
- 23.05.2016Armenian troops set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.05.2016Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict may lead to severe military clashes
- 23.05.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia used chemical weapon against Azerbaijani population
- 20.05.2016U.S. Vice president and Armenian president discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict by phone
- 20.05.2016Russia to continue assisting Karabakh conflict settlement, Medvedev says
- 20.05.2016Chairman of the PACE: "The Nagorno Karabakh conflict, generally all conflicts must be solved within the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 19.05.2016No decisive step taken for release of Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenians
- 19.05.2016German MP says he expects OSCE MG to solve Karabakh conflict
- 19.05.2016Associated Press makes correction to story on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 18.05.2016Yerevan’s statements distort essence of Karabakh conflict, says Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2016Azerbaijan expresses protest to Associated Press over news release about Nagorno-Karabakh
- 18.05.2016Armenian flag burnt in Baku
- 18.05.2016US ambassador: Armenian, Azerbaijani presidents’ possible June talk may lead to comprehensive settlement