German minister Annette Schavan stripped of doctorate
The University of Duesseldorf's philosophy faculty decided on Tuesday that she had carried out "a deliberate deception through plagiarism".
The minister has denied the claims and said she will appeal.
An earlier plagiarism row brought an end to the political career of Germany's defence minister in 2011.
Large parts of Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg's 2006 legal dissertations were found by Bayreuth University to have been copied and he stood down before it issued its damning verdict in May 2011.
Using the same words as Duesseldorf's Heinrich Heine University, it concluded that he had "deliberately deceived".
When Ms Schavan became the second minister in Chancellor Angela Merkel's government to be accused of copying her doctorate, in this case by an anonymous blogger, she insisted she had never "knowingly falsely cited any sources" and promised to respond to the accusations.
But the faculty committee concluded that her work, which dealt with the formation of conscience, included a "substantial number of unaccredited direct quotes from other texts".
In a statement declaring the doctorate invalid and withdrawing it from Ms Schavan, the faculty head Bruno Bleckmann said they had "decided by secret ballot, by 12 votes to two, with one abstention".
The minister herself, 57, was said to be on a five-day education and science co-operation trip to South Africa.. Education minister since 2005, she is described as a close colleague of Chancellor Merkel.
Her lawyers reportedly rejected the university's ruling and said Ms Schavan would appeal.
When the university announced its inquiry, she said she had no intention of standing down.
But the investigation into one of Chancellor Merkel's closest allies is seen as potentially awkward months before Germans vote in federal elections.
The popular German newspaper Bild said the news was a bitter blow to the chancellor, and wondered whether she would need to find a new education minister at the start of her election campaign.
Related news releases
- 03.05.2016Turkish parliamentary body approves MPs immunity bill
- 03.05.2016Turkey says prevented 85 security 'incidents' since January
- 03.05.2016EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday, sources say
- 02.05.2016New cross-border rocket attack kills one in SE Turkey
- 02.05.2016Eleven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 01.05.2016Clashes, arrests as protesters seek to disrupt German right-wing congress
- 01.05.2016Germany says to host fresh Ukraine talks
- 01.05.2016EU foreign policy chief condemns Iraq parliament attack
- 01.05.2016Merkel Derails Steinmeier's Bid for German Presidency
- 30.04.2016Erdogan wants defense industry to be self-sufficient
- 30.04.2016Turkey to destroy all terror strongholds: PM Davutoglu
- 30.04.2016Istanbul gunfight leaves one man dead, three injured
- 30.04.2016Turkish TV channel ‘Samanyolu’ to close
- 29.04.2016Norway helicopter crash: 11 dead, 2 still missing
- 29.04.2016Next Eurogroup meeting on Greece to take place May 9: Athens
- 29.04.2016US: San Bernardino shooter relatives taken into custody
- 29.04.2016Cameron hails cross-party anti-Brexit alliance
- 28.04.2016UN envoy 'positive' as Yemen peace talks enter second week
- 28.04.2016Police wounded, scores arrested in French labor law protests
- 28.04.2016Don't pressure Britain before EU vote, German foreign minister warns
- 28.04.2016Cavusoglu calls travel warnings against Turkey 'unfair'
- 28.04.2016Refugee crisis to cost Austria gov't 2 bln euros in 2016
- 27.04.2016Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam extradited to France
- 27.04.2016More than 800 "jihadists" arrive in Germany over past four years — Russian General Staff
- 27.04.2016Suicide blast in northwest Turkey kills one, injures 20 - UPDATED
- 27.04.2016Turkey slams ban on Crimean Tatar Mejlis
- 27.04.2016Erdogan urges West to help with refugees
- 27.04.2016Eleven shot dead in Cape Verde including two Spanish citizens
- 26.04.2016Turkey calls for inclusion in US-EU trade deal
- 26.04.2016Terrorist groups aim to isolate Turkey: Turkish PM
- 25.04.2016At least 20 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 25.04.2016Germany to build air base in Turkey for anti-IS campaign
- 25.04.2016Armenians fail to hold rally outside Turkish embassy in Tbilisi
- 25.04.2016Two killed in blast at Bulgarian weapons maker
- 25.04.2016One dead, 26 wounded as rockets hit Turkish town near Syrian border
- 24.04.2016Turkey will take all measures to stop rocket fire on border town: PM
- 24.04.2016No migrant readmission agreement without EU visa liberalization: Turkish PM
- 24.04.2016Tusk: "Turkey is best example for refugee treatment"
- 23.04.2016Thousands protest US-EU deal in Germany
- 23.04.2016Davutoglu, Merkel visit refugees in SE province