The University of Duesseldorf's philosophy faculty decided on Tuesday that she had carried out "a deliberate deception through plagiarism".
The minister has denied the claims and said she will appeal.
An earlier plagiarism row brought an end to the political career of Germany's defence minister in 2011.
Large parts of Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg's 2006 legal dissertations were found by Bayreuth University to have been copied and he stood down before it issued its damning verdict in May 2011.
Using the same words as Duesseldorf's Heinrich Heine University, it concluded that he had "deliberately deceived".
When Ms Schavan became the second minister in Chancellor Angela Merkel's government to be accused of copying her doctorate, in this case by an anonymous blogger, she insisted she had never "knowingly falsely cited any sources" and promised to respond to the accusations.
But the faculty committee concluded that her work, which dealt with the formation of conscience, included a "substantial number of unaccredited direct quotes from other texts".
In a statement declaring the doctorate invalid and withdrawing it from Ms Schavan, the faculty head Bruno Bleckmann said they had "decided by secret ballot, by 12 votes to two, with one abstention".
The minister herself, 57, was said to be on a five-day education and science co-operation trip to South Africa.. Education minister since 2005, she is described as a close colleague of Chancellor Merkel.
Her lawyers reportedly rejected the university's ruling and said Ms Schavan would appeal.
When the university announced its inquiry, she said she had no intention of standing down.
But the investigation into one of Chancellor Merkel's closest allies is seen as potentially awkward months before Germans vote in federal elections.
The popular German newspaper Bild said the news was a bitter blow to the chancellor, and wondered whether she would need to find a new education minister at the start of her election campaign.
- 26/05/2015 Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 26/05/2015 German MP linked to Ukraine denied entry to Russia
- 26/05/2015 Forged money banknotes in large quantities seized by police
- 25/05/2015 3 killed in cement factory blast in Ankara
- 24/05/2015 Morsi’s death sentence protested in Paris
- 24/05/2015 Swiss ISIL-affiliate plots to assassinate German president
- 24/05/2015 Turks hold protest in Belgium
- 24/05/2015 German army to recruit first imam
- 22/05/2015 Donald Tusk: "Eastern Partnership is not directed against Russia”
- 22/05/2015 Eastern Partnership program is not a tool of EU enlargement - Merkel
- 21/05/2015 The Eastern Partnership summit started in Riga
- 21/05/2015 Merkel: 'EU's Eastern Partnership not against Russia'
- 21/05/2015 OSCE Chairperson meets with Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 21/05/2015 The Guardian: EU Eastern Partnership summit will highlight failure of plan to check Russia
- 20/05/2015 Johannes Hahn: "We have formulated a strategic partnership with Azerbaijan"
- 20/05/2015 German train drivers go on strike
- 20/05/2015 Erdogan phones Crimean Tatar leader to mark exile
- 17/05/2015 Germany train crash kills 2, injures at least 20
- 17/05/2015 German FM says EU member states need to share refugee burden
- 16/05/2015 Italy's Coast Guard rescues 2,452 migrants in the Mediterranean
- 15/05/2015 Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' deputy PM resigns
- 14/05/2015 Senate of Spain rejects bill to recognize so-called Armenian genocide
- 14/05/2015 Erdogan urges Europe to take in more migrants
- 14/05/2015 Vatican says has agreed first treaty with State of Palestine
- 14/05/2015 Three dead, four injured in Italy's fireworks plant blast
- 13/05/2015 7 freeze to death in Turkey
- 13/05/2015 NATO foreign ministers’ meeting kicks off in Antalya
- 13/05/2015 EU mission helicopter crashes in Kosovo, one injured
- 13/05/2015 Turkish, Greek FMs want Cyprus solution in 2015
- 13/05/2015 British PM promises "different gov't" in first all-Conservative cabinet meeting
- 12/05/2015 Russian political expert: "Nagorno Karabakh will never be part of Armenia"
- 12/05/2015 Kerry meets Putin to gauge flexibility on Ukraine, Syria
- 11/05/2015 Putin, Kerry to discuss Ukraine, Syria, Iran, U.S. says
- 11/05/2015 Merkel defends staff against growing criticism in spy scandal
- 11/05/2015 Car hits Azerbaijani citizen in Georgia, driver flees
- 11/05/2015 Turkish ship attacked off Libya coast
- 10/05/2015 Airbus A400M military transporter crashes on test flight, killing four
- 10/05/2015 Turkey's 1980 military coup leader dies
- 09/05/2015 Turkey's PM 'denies plan to intervene in Syria'
- 09/05/2015 Military plane crash in Spain kills crew, forces closure of Seville airport