Iran to launch different Mowj class destroyers, Fateh submarines soon
“We will soon launch the Fateh class submarines and the second, third, fourth and fifth version of Mowj class destroyers, and one of them will be unveiled this year,” Head of the Navy’s Research and Self-Sufficiency Jihad Office General Ali Gholamzadeh said in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.
Asked if Iran is capable of building heavier and bigger destroyers than its first home-made destroyer, ‘Jamaran’, he said, “Now that we have acquired the know-how to build destroyers, there is no doubt that we can construct destroyers better than Jamaran.”
Gholamzadeh said Damavand destroyer is more equipped than Jamaran, although Jamaran itself has also been equipped with a number of Damavand’s equipment, including ‘Asr’ radar system.
He also announced that the construction of Fateh, a semi-heavy submarine with abundant possibilities, has ended, and the vessel is now under tests.
Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced last month that the country had gained the capability to launch production line of destroyers, and also announced plans to launch a new submarine in the near future.
“Today, the Navy has acquired the capability to launch the production line of destroyers and our project for building destroyers has started at the order of the Supreme Leader since a while ago and we are witnessing newer and more updated achievements in this project now,” Sayyari told reporters in Tehran.
He said that Iran’s new destroyer named Sahand is 30% more advanced than the country’s first destroyer, Jamaran.
Sayyari also said that Iran would launch its new submarine, Fateh, on the Navy Day (November 28).
In recent years, Iran has made great achievements in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing essential military equipment and systems.
Sayyari in July announced the Iranian Navy’s plans to launch one of its advanced home-made destroyers, named Damavand, in the country’s territorial waters in the near future.
“Destroyer Damavand will join the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Navy in the near future,” Sayyari told FNA.
Tehran launched an arms development program during the 1980-88 Iraqi imposed war on Iran to compensate for a US weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and fighter planes.
Yet, Iranian officials have always stressed that the country’s military and arms programs serve defensive purposes and should not be perceived as a threat to any other country.
In June 2013, Iran launched its overhauled and modernized destroyer named Bayandor in the Southern waters of the country in the presence of Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi and Rear Admiral Sayyari.
Army officials said the Iranian Navy’s power of safeguarding the country’s territorial waters as well as maintaining security in regional and international waters will increase after the launch of Bayandor.
Overhauling the main engines, heat exchangers and fuel and oil systems as well as optimizing the monitoring control systems are among the measures adopted before launching the destroyer.
Navy experts have also mounted a fire control system for the destroyer’s weapons, a 76-mm and a 40-mm canons and a surface-to-surface Nour (Light) missile system on the destroyer.
Iran’s first home-made destroyer, Jamaran, was launched in late February 2010. The Mowdge Class vessel has a displacement of around 14,000 tons and is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities and is armed with a variety of anti-ship, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message
- 22.05.2016Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour
- 22.05.2016India partly repays $6.5-Bln debt to Iran for oil supplies
- 21.05.2016Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- 21.05.2016Death toll of central Pakistan road accident rises to 13
- 21.05.2016Al-Qaeda country head killed in E. Pakistan operation
- 21.05.2016India records its highest temperature ever
- 21.05.2016Hezbollah vows stronger presence in Syria after commander's death
- 21.05.201656 people killed in intensified fighting in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2016Baghdad imposes curfew after Green Zone protesters clash with police
- 20.05.2016Turkish parliament ratifies bill to lift MPs' immunity
- 20.05.2016Israeli defense minister resigns
- 19.05.2016Airbus A320 flying from Paris to Cairo ‘feared to have crashed into the sea’ - UPDATED
- 19.05.20161 killed, 5 injured as blast hits police vehicle in SW Pakistan
- 19.05.2016Bolivia police, workers clash at protest over plant shutdown
- 19.05.2016Bomb kills nine Iraqi soldiers during raid south of Baghdad
- 18.05.201616 people missing as landslide hits Sri Lanka
- 18.05.2016Iraqi forces recapturing al-Rutbah city from Daesh
- 18.05.2016Yemen gov't suspends participation in UN peace talks
- 17.05.2016Three Baghdad blasts claim 58 lives
- 17.05.20163 killed in landslides and heavy rains in Sri Lanka
- 17.05.2016U.S., Russia stalemate on Syria frustrates European powers
- 15.05.2016Syria urges UN to condemn al-Qaida massacre in Hama
- 15.05.2016North Korea seizes Russia yacht sans 'explanation'
- 14.05.2016ISIL declares state of emergency in Syria's Raqqah: US
- 14.05.2016House fire kills 5 in India
- 14.05.2016Recent processes in Syria are not in favour of terrorists - Iranian FM official
- 14.05.2016Top Hezbollah commander killed in Damascus blast
- 14.05.2016Islamic State attacks in northern Iraq kill 16, sources say
- 13.05.2016Israel kills Hezbollah military commander
- 13.05.2016Security worker dies at Australian Embassy in Baghdad
- 13.05.2016Four killed, 17 wounded in blast in southeast Turkey - UPDATED
- 12.05.2016Iranian Muslims to miss haj pilgrimage amid rift with Saudi
- 12.05.2016Suicide bomber kills eight, wounds senior army commander in Yemen attack
- 11.05.2016Islamic State bombs kill 80 in deadliest Baghdad attacks this year