Syria: US chemical weapons charges 'full of lies'
Baku-APA. The Syrian government on Friday dismissed U.S. charges that it used chemical weapons as "full of lies," accusing President Barack Obama of resorting to fabrications to justify his decision to arm Syrian rebels. The commander of the main rebel umbrella group welcomed the U.S. move, saying it would lift his fighters' morale, APA reports quoting .
The U.S. decision to begin arming the rebels, though details have not been completed, marks a deepening of U.S. involvement inSyria's two-year civil war. It comes as President Bashar Assad's forces have been scoring victories, driving rebels out of a key town near the Lebanese border and launching offensives in the center and north, targeting Aleppo, the nation's largest city.
U.S. officials said the administration could provide the rebel fighters with a range of weapons, including small arms, ammunition, assault rifles and a variety of anti-tank weaponry such as shoulder-fired rocket-propelled grenades and other missiles. However, no final decisions have been made on the type of weaponry or when it would reach the rebels, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity in order to discuss internal administration discussions with reporters.
In addition to the increased military aid, the U.S. also announced Thursday it had conclusive evidence that Assad's regime has used chemical weapons, including the nerve agent sarin, on a small scale against opposition forces. The White House said multiple chemical attacks last year killed up to 150 people.
Obama has said the use of chemical weapons cross a "red line," triggering greater U.S involvement in the crisis.
"The White House has issued a statement full of lies about the use of chemical weapons in Syria, based on fabricated information," a statement issued Friday by the Syrian Foreign Ministry said. "The United States is using cheap tactics to justify President Barack Obama's decision to arm the Syrian opposition," it said.
The statement also accused the U.S. of "double standards," saying America claims to combat terrorism while providing support for "terrorist" groups in Syria, such as Jabhat al-Nusra, with arms and money. The group, also known as the Nusra Front, is an al-Qaida affiliate that has emerged as one of the most effective rebel factions in Syria.
The commander of the main Western-backed rebel group fighting in Syria said he hoped that U.S. weapons will be in the hands of rebels in the near future, noting it would boost the spirits of the fighters on the ground.
"We hope to have the weapons and ammunition that we need in the near future," Gen. Salim Idris told Al-Arabiya TV.
"This will surely reflect positively on the rebels' morale, which is high despite attempts by the regime, Hezbollah and Iran to show that their morale after the fall of Qusair deteriorated," he said, referring to the town near the border with Lebanon.
Loay AlMikdad, a spokesman for the Free Syrian Army, said Idris will be meeting with international players in the coming days, starting Saturday, to work out the details of what is to be delivered and how.
"We encourage them to take a decision in this relation, by establishing a no-fly zone either all overSyria or areas they choose based on their technical or military considerations on the ground," he said, to ensure safe areas for civilians.
"We hope they start arming immediately. Any delay costs blood of Syrians. It is not water, it is blood of the Syrians, women and children and its future."
AlMikdad said the rebels have asked for shoulder propelled rockets, thermal anti-tank missiles, anti-aircrafts missiles, surface to surface missiles and armored vehicles.
Assad's forces, aided by fighters from Lebanon's militant group Hezbollah, captured Qusair on June 5, dealing a heavy blow to rebels who had been entrenched in the strategic town for over a year.
Since then, the regime has shifted its attention to recapture other areas in the central Homs province and Aleppo to the north.
The regime's advances have added urgency to U.S. discussions on whether to provide the rebels with weapons.
The decision came a day after the United Nations said nearly 93,000 people have been confirmed dead in Syria's civil war, but the actual number is believed to be much higher.
Russia, a staunch ally of Assad, on Friday disputed the U.S. charge that Syria used chemical weapons against the rebels.
President Vladimir Putin's foreign affairs adviser, Yuri Ushakov, told reporters that the information provided by U.S. officials to Russia "didn't look convincing."
Asked if Russia could retaliate to the U.S. move to supply weapons to the Syrian rebels by delivering the S-300 air defense missile systems to the regime, Ushakov said "there is no talk about it yet."
"We aren't competing over Syria, we are trying to settle the issue in a constructive way," he said.
Alexey Pushkov, chairman of Russia's parliamentary foreign affairs committee, wrote on his Twitter account Friday that "the data on Assad's use of chemical weapons were faked in the same place as the lie about (Saddam) Hussein's weapons of mass destruction," referring to the deposed Iraqi dictator.
"Obama is going down the route of G. Bush," he added, in reference to former President George W. Bush's assertion — never proven, but used to justify the invasion of Iraq — that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction.
The Russian comments were echoed by a lawmaker in Damascus.
"This reminds us of what America did in the prelude to the invasion of Iraq by releasing fabrications and lies to the international community that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction," said Issam Khalil, a member of Assad's Baath party.
Obama's deputy national security adviser, Ben Rhodes, said Obama was planning to step up military assistance to Syrian rebels.
Ushakov warned that providing such assistance could derail efforts to convene a Syria peace conference. The main opposition coalition has already said it would not attend, all but scuttling the initiative.
In Friday's violence, Syrian troops and rebels fought some of the heaviest battles in months in Aleppo, Syria's largest city, activists said.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the clashes were concentrated in the city's eastern rebel-held neighborhood of Sakhour, calling the fighting "the most violent in months." It said regime troops attacked the neighborhood from two directions but failed to advance, suffering casualties.
The fight for Aleppo, a city of 3 million that was once a bastion of support for Assad, is critical for both the regime and the opposition. If it were to fall completely into opposition hands, the rebels would score a major victory and acquire a stronghold in the north near the Turkish border. A rebel defeat would buy Assad more time, at the very least, and even possibly turn the tide of the civil war against the opposition.
Related news releases
- 12.02.2016Police name Baku man who assaulted on Bank - UPDATED
- 11.02.2016Azerbaijani parliament to revise amendments to law “On currency regulation”
- 11.02.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with public representatives in Gabala
- 09.02.2016Armenian soldier flees from military unit
- 09.02.2016PACE president: ‘Frozen’ and ‘burning’ conflicts represent real threat to Europe’s stability
- 09.02.2016Interfaith dialogue, multiculturalism – only way to address global challenges
- 06.02.2016Fuad Alasgarov: All attempts to destabilize Azerbaijan to be thwarted decisively
- 06.02.2016Haiti protesters stone to death ex-fighter as political crisis deepens
- 05.02.2016Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for next session
- 04.02.201625th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence to be marked at state level
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 02.02.2016Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani parliament observes moment of silence to remember academician Jalal Aliyev
- 01.02.2016Head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE dismisses reports of his dismissal as baseless
- 01.02.2016Academician Jalal Aliyev dies
- 31.01.2016Today is Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 132nd birth anniversary
- 30.01.2016Azerbaijani president awards some employees of State Customs Committee
- 30.01.2016Azerbaijan faces double standards in PACE – parliament vice-speaker
- 30.01.2016Minsk Group did utmost to prevent PACE from adopting resolution on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.01.2016U.N. launches Syria peace talks despite opposition boycott
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijan denies asking foreign financial institutions for assistance
- 28.01.2016Ali Hasanov: President Ilham Aliyev will never allow Azerbaijani citizens and society to face serious cataclysms
- 28.01.2016MP: Azerbaijan takes systematic approach to countering corruption
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani president's aide comments on recent protests
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani official: Manat rate unlikely to drop further
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijan continued to develop even during 2008-2009 economic crisis – official
- 28.01.2016Azerbaijani official: Instability on global energy market politically motivated
- 27.01.2016Iran 'ready for investment': Rouhani in Paris
- 27.01.2016International court to investigate 2008 Georgia-Russia war
- 27.01.2016Elkhan Suleymanov: “We have witnessed great unfairness, injustice”
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijan to review legal status and activities of political parties
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijan to surely develop in spite of global economic recession – president
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijani president: Social responsibility should be taken into account, company should avoid job cuts
- 26.01.2016President Aliyev: Southern Gas Corridor for decades to provide economic benefits to Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2016Global economy fails to get out of crisis – Azerbaijani president
- 26.01.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to continue developing successfully despite global economic crisis
- 26.01.20162016 to be Year of deep economic reforms in Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 26.01.2016Azerbaijani president attends conference dedicated to implementation of state program on socio-economic development of districts
- 23.01.2016Protesters in Moldova's capital Chisinau to elect national salvation committee on Sunday
- 22.01.2016Imam and akhund appointed at Heydar Mosque
- 21.01.2016Chingiz Mustafayev Foundation and ANS named Mehriban Aliyeva “Person of the year 2015”
- 21.01.2016Crimean Tatars leader arrested in absentia
- 20.01.2016Azerbaijani President visits Alley of Martyrs on occasion of 26th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 19.01.2016Parliament speaker: Loan problems cannot be solved all at once
- 19.01.2016Economic reforms in Azerbaijan to continue – parliament speaker
- 19.01.2016Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session kicks off
- 19.01.2016Azerbaijani President: "Better conditions should be created for businessmen"
- 18.01.2016Agenda of Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session made public
- 18.01.2016Hungarian embassy in Azerbaijan launches online appointment system for visa applications
- 18.01.2016Azerbaijan explains reason behind decision to hold parliament’s extraordinary session
- 18.01.2016Azerbaijani president chairs meeting on economic and social issues
- 18.01.2016PA official: Azerbaijan also affected by global processes
- 16.01.2016Azerbaijani parliament to hold extraordinary meeting
- 16.01.2016Iran oil headed for India, Europe, with sanctions lifting
- 15.01.2016New head appointed to Azerbaijani presidential office
- 15.01.2016Azerbaijan makes amendments to Civil Code
- 15.01.2016Azerbaijan makes amendments to Code of Administrative Offences
- 14.01.2016Two officials arrested for raising bread price artificially - UPDATED
- 14.01.2016MP from Azerbaijan’s Siyazan comments on recent protests in district
- 14.01.2016Bulgaria offers Russia new gas pipeline by passing Ukraine
- 13.01.2016Azerbaijani president signs decree to ensure activity of State Security Service
- 13.01.2016Zakir Garalov awarded Shohrat Order
- 12.01.2016MP: Artificial price hike, dollar crisis in Azerbaijan causing protests
- 12.01.2016Air strike in Iraq's Mosul targets 'millions' in IS cash: US official
- 12.01.2016Azerbaijani President: "In the near future, measures will be taken for the abolition of unnecessary structures"
- 11.01.2016Anar Isgandarov awarded order “For merits for Motherland”
- 11.01.2016Azerbaijan temporarily limits import of livestock and animal products from Iran
- 11.01.2016EU's Mogherini to visit Azerbaijan in late February-early March 2016
- 10.01.20162016 declared Year of multiculturalism in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2016Intercivilization misunderstanding triggers concern for Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 10.01.2016Azerbaijani president chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting on 2015 results
- 07.01.2016Date of Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary session in 2016 announced
- 07.01.2016Deputy chief of newly-created Nakhchivan’s State Security Service named
- 02.01.2016Action plan on 26th anniversary of 20 January tragedy approved
- 01.01.2016Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 31.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev: "I am confident that in 2016 the economy of Azerbaijan will develop"
- 30.12.2015New chairpersons of boards of Supreme Court appointed
- 30.12.2015Azerbaijani president appoints new chairpersons of courts of first instance
- 30.12.2015Official: Dynamically developing Azerbaijan is today's reality
- 30.12.2015Management reforms to continue in new format – Azerbaijani president
- 30.12.2015Azerbaijani president attends opening of Zire Cultural Center
- 29.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament holds last plenary session in 2015
- 29.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament approves new Code of Administrative Offences
- 29.12.2015Azerbaijani government preparing anti-crisis plan
- 29.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament’s committees to discuss draft law on human rights situation in US
- 29.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament starts final plenary session of 2015
- 28.12.2015Presidential aide: Fall in manat rate stems from negative effects of global processes
- 25.12.2015Azerbaijan has state conception to minimize effect of ongoing processes – president’s aide
- 25.12.2015Azerbaijan says not negotiating with US on creation of commission on democracy and human rights
- 25.12.2015New first deputy chief of Azerbaijani State Migration Service named
- 24.12.2015Azerbaijani President congratulates the World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2015Nardaran elder says he’s confident that main reason of Nardaran incident will be revealed soon
- 24.12.2015Medicine prices in Azerbaijan to be adapted to change in manat rate – deputy PM
- 24.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev: "The financial and economic sector in Azerbaijan must be absolutely transparent"
- 24.12.2015Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev celebrates his birthday
- 23.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament receives bill seeking suspension of all relations with US
- 23.12.2015Azerbaijan imposing new penalties for ignoring journalists’ requests
- 23.12.2015Azerbaijani president: Those behind artificial price hike in country to be punished
- 23.12.2015Azerbaijani president comments on drop in manat rate
- 23.12.2015Date, agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s 2015 final session made public
- 22.12.2015Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijan’s companies are ready to invest in Afghanistan"
- 22.12.2015John Kirby: “The presidents recognized that the situation has deteriorated”
- 21.12.2015Introduction of freely floating rate of Azerbaijani manat was inevitable - president’s aide - INTERVIEW
- 21.12.2015Pardon Commission’s meetings continue
- 19.12.2015State Security Service established in Nakhchivan
- 18.12.2015Azerbaijani president likely to sign pardon decree, says parliament speaker
- 18.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 16.12.2015Five of injured Azerbaijani oil workers discharged from hospital
- 16.12.2015Azerbaijan’s emergency situations minister speaks about rescue work at Gunashli offshore field
- 16.12.2015Prosecutor demands 7-year imprisonment for journalist Rauf Mirgadirov
- 14.12.2015State Security, Foreign Intelligence services created in Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2015Azerbaijan names chief of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 14.12.2015Chief of Azerbaijani State Security Service named
- 12.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev, state and government officials pay tribute to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2015Twelve years pass since Heydar Aliyev died
- 11.12.2015Azerbaijan determines new penalties for theft of natural gas, electric power and thermal energy
- 11.12.2015YAP leadership pays tribute to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.12.2015Azerbaijan to tighten penalties for violation of rules on use of state flag
- 09.12.2015Azerbaijan set to stiffen penalties for illegal gatherings, demonstrations, rallies
- 08.12.2015Azerbaijan develops new Code of Administrative Offences
- 06.12.2015SOCAR says not seeing offshore platform accident as diversion
- 06.12.2015SOCAR: 29 people go missing in oil platform accident
- 06.12.2015One-day mourning declared in Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2015IBA former head jailed for three months - UPDATED
- 04.12.2015Medal instituted on 10th anniversary of Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations
- 04.12.2015Parents to be fined for pupils’ school absence in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2015Azerbaijan grants police additional powers in combating terrorism
- 04.12.2015Azerbaijanis involved in terrorist acts to lose citizenship
- 04.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament adopts draft law on combating religious extremism
- 04.12.2015MP proposes to establish single investigative body in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2015Azerbaijan to prosecute journalists over inaccurate information dissemination from site of operation against religious extremism
- 03.12.2015Azerbaijani put on Interpol’s wanted list on charges of large-scale embezzlement
- 02.12.2015Ramil Usubov: “32 persons jailed in connection with the events in Nardaran”
- 02.12.2015Some forces seek to apply model of another country in Azerbaijan – MP
- 02.12.2015Several more supporters of Muslim Unity movement detained in Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2015Azerbaijan set to deprive those involved in terrorist acts of citizenship
- 02.12.2015Azerbaijan may grant additional powers to police in countering terrorism
- 01.12.2015Commander of the Internal Troops: “Special operation in the Nardaran township of Baku continues" - VİDEO
- 01.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 01.12.2015Religious figure should hold Quran not weapon or grenade in hand – MP
- 01.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament to hold next plenary session on Dec.4
- 01.12.2015Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 01.12.201525 tons of spoiled meat found in Azerbaijan
- 30.11.2015Azerbaijani parliament vice speaker comments on Nardaran incident
- 28.11.2015Mortar attack on UN base in north Mali kills 3, injures 20
- 27.11.2015External forces had a role in Nardaran incident - ruling party
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards policemen killed in Nardaran incident
- 26.11.2015Leyla Aliyeva attends opening of exhibition of children's handicrafts
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan’s 5th-convocation parliament fixes date of first plenary session
- 24.11.2015Aqiye Nakhchivanli dismissed from post of rector
- 24.11.2015Ahliman Amiraslanov dismissed from post of rector of Azerbaijan Medical University
- 24.11.2015Rector of Azerbaijan State Academy of Physical Training and Sports dismissed
- 24.11.2015President Aliyev: Int’l observers confirm election was transparent, fair in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijan names chairpersons of parliamentary committees
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijani parliament set to create 4 new committees, rename 3 others
- 24.11.2015Deputy speakers of Azerbaijan’s 5th-convocation parliament named
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijan names parliament speaker
- 24.11.2015First session of Azerbaijani 5th convocation parliament starts
- 21.11.2015Event held on occasion of 23rd anniversary of YAP’s establishment
- 21.11.2015Obama says Mali attacks 'stiffens our resolve'
- 21.11.2015Ali Ahmadov: Officials may face drastic punishment for offences, failure to justify president’s confidence
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards employees of justice agencies
- 19.11.2015Azerbaijan enters into force new rules on combating funding of terrorism
- 19.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards Eldar Nuriyev
- 18.11.2015Others need to draw lesson from president’s dismissal of some ministers – ruling party
- 17.11.2015Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 15.11.2015Convene the first session of the V convocation of the Supreme Mejlis of Nakhchivan AR
- 13.11.2015General Prosecutor's Office released data on corruption in the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies
- 13.11.2015Deputy Minister of National Security Elchin Aliyev dismissed
- 13.11.2015PACE President welcomes release of Arif Yunus
- 13.11.2015Azerbaijan's economy diversified, dependence on oil reducing – top official
- 13.11.2015Azerbaijan to amend legislation on security and communications - EXCLUSIVE
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan’s minister of communications and high technologies dismissed
- 12.11.2015As USSR heir, Russia must show interest in Karabakh conflict settlement: Parliamentary vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Nagorno-Karabakh conflict – biggest obstacle for ensuring human rights and freedoms, says Azerbaijani presidential aide
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan will further prevent manifestations of radicalism – parliament vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan national security system not undermined by incidents, says parliament vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan marks Day of Constitution
- 11.11.2015Three police martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 10.11.2015YAP to consider issue of members nominated for MPs in contravention of party’s decision
- 09.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Every country should rely on its own resources as world faces new threats and dangers
- 09.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: There are lots of opportunities for Azerbaijani scientists to work in military industry area
- 09.11.2015Ali Abbasov: Some ministry officials in temporary detention - VİDEO
- 06.11.2015Arrested 8 organizers of unsanctioned protest in Sabunchu district
- 06.11.2015276 people granted Azerbaijani citizenship take oath of allegiance
- 05.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Security well-ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2015Azerbaijan does not need anyone’s help - president
- 05.11.2015Azerbaijani president: “The judicial system should be transparent to the maximum extent”
- 04.11.2015Azerbaijani president: Those unfair to entrepreneurs penalized, none is immune
- 04.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev begins visit to Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 03.11.2015ANAS Institute says printing in foreign language ‘inappropriate’ of names on soccer jerseys in local championship
- 02.11.2015Azerbaijan to reduce sentences for persons under legal age
- 01.11.2015Azerbaijan wraps up votinng for parliamentary elections
- 01.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev’s son casts his first vote
- 28.10.2015ATUC chairman awarded with honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president