Syria: US chemical weapons charges 'full of lies'
Baku-APA. The Syrian government on Friday dismissed U.S. charges that it used chemical weapons as "full of lies," accusing President Barack Obama of resorting to fabrications to justify his decision to arm Syrian rebels. The commander of the main rebel umbrella group welcomed the U.S. move, saying it would lift his fighters' morale, APA reports quoting .
The U.S. decision to begin arming the rebels, though details have not been completed, marks a deepening of U.S. involvement inSyria's two-year civil war. It comes as President Bashar Assad's forces have been scoring victories, driving rebels out of a key town near the Lebanese border and launching offensives in the center and north, targeting Aleppo, the nation's largest city.
U.S. officials said the administration could provide the rebel fighters with a range of weapons, including small arms, ammunition, assault rifles and a variety of anti-tank weaponry such as shoulder-fired rocket-propelled grenades and other missiles. However, no final decisions have been made on the type of weaponry or when it would reach the rebels, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity in order to discuss internal administration discussions with reporters.
In addition to the increased military aid, the U.S. also announced Thursday it had conclusive evidence that Assad's regime has used chemical weapons, including the nerve agent sarin, on a small scale against opposition forces. The White House said multiple chemical attacks last year killed up to 150 people.
Obama has said the use of chemical weapons cross a "red line," triggering greater U.S involvement in the crisis.
"The White House has issued a statement full of lies about the use of chemical weapons in Syria, based on fabricated information," a statement issued Friday by the Syrian Foreign Ministry said. "The United States is using cheap tactics to justify President Barack Obama's decision to arm the Syrian opposition," it said.
The statement also accused the U.S. of "double standards," saying America claims to combat terrorism while providing support for "terrorist" groups in Syria, such as Jabhat al-Nusra, with arms and money. The group, also known as the Nusra Front, is an al-Qaida affiliate that has emerged as one of the most effective rebel factions in Syria.
The commander of the main Western-backed rebel group fighting in Syria said he hoped that U.S. weapons will be in the hands of rebels in the near future, noting it would boost the spirits of the fighters on the ground.
"We hope to have the weapons and ammunition that we need in the near future," Gen. Salim Idris told Al-Arabiya TV.
"This will surely reflect positively on the rebels' morale, which is high despite attempts by the regime, Hezbollah and Iran to show that their morale after the fall of Qusair deteriorated," he said, referring to the town near the border with Lebanon.
Loay AlMikdad, a spokesman for the Free Syrian Army, said Idris will be meeting with international players in the coming days, starting Saturday, to work out the details of what is to be delivered and how.
"We encourage them to take a decision in this relation, by establishing a no-fly zone either all overSyria or areas they choose based on their technical or military considerations on the ground," he said, to ensure safe areas for civilians.
"We hope they start arming immediately. Any delay costs blood of Syrians. It is not water, it is blood of the Syrians, women and children and its future."
AlMikdad said the rebels have asked for shoulder propelled rockets, thermal anti-tank missiles, anti-aircrafts missiles, surface to surface missiles and armored vehicles.
Assad's forces, aided by fighters from Lebanon's militant group Hezbollah, captured Qusair on June 5, dealing a heavy blow to rebels who had been entrenched in the strategic town for over a year.
Since then, the regime has shifted its attention to recapture other areas in the central Homs province and Aleppo to the north.
The regime's advances have added urgency to U.S. discussions on whether to provide the rebels with weapons.
The decision came a day after the United Nations said nearly 93,000 people have been confirmed dead in Syria's civil war, but the actual number is believed to be much higher.
Russia, a staunch ally of Assad, on Friday disputed the U.S. charge that Syria used chemical weapons against the rebels.
President Vladimir Putin's foreign affairs adviser, Yuri Ushakov, told reporters that the information provided by U.S. officials to Russia "didn't look convincing."
Asked if Russia could retaliate to the U.S. move to supply weapons to the Syrian rebels by delivering the S-300 air defense missile systems to the regime, Ushakov said "there is no talk about it yet."
"We aren't competing over Syria, we are trying to settle the issue in a constructive way," he said.
Alexey Pushkov, chairman of Russia's parliamentary foreign affairs committee, wrote on his Twitter account Friday that "the data on Assad's use of chemical weapons were faked in the same place as the lie about (Saddam) Hussein's weapons of mass destruction," referring to the deposed Iraqi dictator.
"Obama is going down the route of G. Bush," he added, in reference to former President George W. Bush's assertion — never proven, but used to justify the invasion of Iraq — that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction.
The Russian comments were echoed by a lawmaker in Damascus.
"This reminds us of what America did in the prelude to the invasion of Iraq by releasing fabrications and lies to the international community that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction," said Issam Khalil, a member of Assad's Baath party.
Obama's deputy national security adviser, Ben Rhodes, said Obama was planning to step up military assistance to Syrian rebels.
Ushakov warned that providing such assistance could derail efforts to convene a Syria peace conference. The main opposition coalition has already said it would not attend, all but scuttling the initiative.
In Friday's violence, Syrian troops and rebels fought some of the heaviest battles in months in Aleppo, Syria's largest city, activists said.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the clashes were concentrated in the city's eastern rebel-held neighborhood of Sakhour, calling the fighting "the most violent in months." It said regime troops attacked the neighborhood from two directions but failed to advance, suffering casualties.
The fight for Aleppo, a city of 3 million that was once a bastion of support for Assad, is critical for both the regime and the opposition. If it were to fall completely into opposition hands, the rebels would score a major victory and acquire a stronghold in the north near the Turkish border. A rebel defeat would buy Assad more time, at the very least, and even possibly turn the tide of the civil war against the opposition.
Related news releases
- 30.11.2015Azerbaijani parliament vice speaker comments on Nardaran incident
- 28.11.2015Mortar attack on UN base in north Mali kills 3, injures 20
- 27.11.2015External forces had a role in Nardaran incident - ruling party
- 27.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards policemen killed in Nardaran incident
- 26.11.2015Leyla Aliyeva attends opening of exhibition of children's handicrafts
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan’s 5th-convocation parliament fixes date of first plenary session
- 24.11.2015Aqiye Nakhchivanli dismissed from post of rector
- 24.11.2015Ahliman Amiraslanov dismissed from post of rector of Azerbaijan Medical University
- 24.11.2015Rector of Azerbaijan State Academy of Physical Training and Sports dismissed
- 24.11.2015President Aliyev: Int’l observers confirm election was transparent, fair in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijan names chairpersons of parliamentary committees
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijani parliament set to create 4 new committees, rename 3 others
- 24.11.2015Deputy speakers of Azerbaijan’s 5th-convocation parliament named
- 24.11.2015Azerbaijan names parliament speaker
- 24.11.2015First session of Azerbaijani 5th convocation parliament starts
- 21.11.2015Event held on occasion of 23rd anniversary of YAP’s establishment
- 21.11.2015Obama says Mali attacks 'stiffens our resolve'
- 21.11.2015Ali Ahmadov: Officials may face drastic punishment for offences, failure to justify president’s confidence
- 20.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards employees of justice agencies
- 19.11.2015Azerbaijan enters into force new rules on combating funding of terrorism
- 19.11.2015Azerbaijani president awards Eldar Nuriyev
- 18.11.2015Others need to draw lesson from president’s dismissal of some ministers – ruling party
- 17.11.2015Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 15.11.2015Convene the first session of the V convocation of the Supreme Mejlis of Nakhchivan AR
- 13.11.2015General Prosecutor's Office released data on corruption in the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies
- 13.11.2015Deputy Minister of National Security Elchin Aliyev dismissed
- 13.11.2015PACE President welcomes release of Arif Yunus
- 13.11.2015Azerbaijan's economy diversified, dependence on oil reducing – top official
- 13.11.2015Azerbaijan to amend legislation on security and communications - EXCLUSIVE
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan’s minister of communications and high technologies dismissed
- 12.11.2015As USSR heir, Russia must show interest in Karabakh conflict settlement: Parliamentary vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Nagorno-Karabakh conflict – biggest obstacle for ensuring human rights and freedoms, says Azerbaijani presidential aide
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan will further prevent manifestations of radicalism – parliament vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan national security system not undermined by incidents, says parliament vice-speaker
- 12.11.2015Azerbaijan marks Day of Constitution
- 11.11.2015Three police martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 10.11.2015YAP to consider issue of members nominated for MPs in contravention of party’s decision
- 09.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Every country should rely on its own resources as world faces new threats and dangers
- 09.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: There are lots of opportunities for Azerbaijani scientists to work in military industry area
- 09.11.2015Ali Abbasov: Some ministry officials in temporary detention - VİDEO
- 06.11.2015Arrested 8 organizers of unsanctioned protest in Sabunchu district
- 06.11.2015276 people granted Azerbaijani citizenship take oath of allegiance
- 05.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Security well-ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2015Azerbaijan does not need anyone’s help - president
- 05.11.2015Azerbaijani president: “The judicial system should be transparent to the maximum extent”
- 04.11.2015Azerbaijani president: Those unfair to entrepreneurs penalized, none is immune
- 04.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev begins visit to Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 03.11.2015ANAS Institute says printing in foreign language ‘inappropriate’ of names on soccer jerseys in local championship
- 02.11.2015Azerbaijan to reduce sentences for persons under legal age
- 01.11.2015Azerbaijan wraps up votinng for parliamentary elections
- 01.11.2015President Ilham Aliyev’s son casts his first vote
- 28.10.2015ATUC chairman awarded with honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 27.10.2015EU says has long-term relations with Azerbaijan
- 26.10.2015Azerbaijan appoints judges for a number of courts of first instance
- 26.10.2015Azerbaijani president awards chemical industry employees - LIST
- 25.10.2015Azerbaijan switches to winter time today
- 24.10.2015Erdogan: Unfortunately, world saw Putin-Assad meeting
- 23.10.2015Azerbaijani president awards first deputy PM with Sharaf order
- 23.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Ongoing development processes in Azerbaijan to continue in new format
- 21.10.2015Procedure of NGOs’ receipt of grants from state authorities approved in Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2015Newly-appointed first deputy national security minister of Azerbaijan promoted to rank of general lieutenant
- 20.10.2015New judges appointed to Baku and Ganja appeal courts
- 20.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on changing National Security Ministry’s composition
- 20.10.2015Azerbaijani president appoints new first deputy minister of national security
- 20.10.2015Last session of Azerbaijani parliament’s fourth convocation ends
- 20.10.2015MP proposes ITMC’s exclusion from Transport Ministry and its inclusion in Interior Ministry
- 20.10.2015Last session of Azerbaijani parliament’s fourth convocation starts
- 19.10.2015Criminal case launched against high-ranking officials of the Ministry of National Security
- 19.10.2015Details of draft law on suspension of inspections in entrepreneurship revealed
- 19.10.2015Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law submitted by president tomorrow
- 19.10.2015Azerbaijan-Georgia strategic cooperation developing from day to day – FM
- 18.10.2015Azerbaijan marks 24th anniversary of independence
- 17.10.2015Eldar Mahmudov dismissed from the post of Minister of National Security of Azerbaijan
- 15.10.2015Dagestan's president arrives in Azerbaijan for treatment
- 15.10.2015Azerbaijan may apply new rules in combating financing of terrorism
- 14.10.2015Vagif Abdullayev awarded order For Service to Motherland
- 14.10.2015Idea of ensuring transparency in NGO activities coincides with extractive industries transparency initiative, says Azerbaijani president’s spokesman
- 13.10.2015Last session of Azerbaijani parliament’s fourth convocation rescheduled
- 13.10.2015Azerbaijani President: "Very serious steps will be done in order to improve the business climate"
- 12.10.2015Azerbaijani president appoints new head of Siyazan district executive authority
- 12.10.2015Azerbaijani deputy PM breaks into tears signing memory book in Turkish embassy - VİDEO
- 09.10.2015Date, agenda of last session of Azerbaijani Parliament’s fourth convocation made public
- 08.10.2015Eldar Mahmudov: IS poses serious threat to int'l stability
- 07.10.2015Azerbaijan National Independence Party chairman resigns
- 07.10.2015Azerbaijani President: "2016 will not be easy for the economy"
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev opened a children's music school in Goychay
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev attended the opening of a chess school in Goychay
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev attended the opening of a new administrative building of Goychay District branch of the New Azerbaijan Party
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani President attended a ceremony to pump drinking water to Goychay city
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviewed the Flag Square in Goychay
- 06.10.2015President of Azerbaijan Republic attended the opening of Goychay Youth Center
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev visited a statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Goychay
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev attended the opening of Goychay-Ujar highway - PHOTO
- 06.10.2015President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ujar district
- 06.10.2015Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session starts
- 01.10.2015Hurricane Joaquin gains force near Bahamas, heads toward US
- 30.09.2015President empowered to restore and renounce Azerbaijani citizenship
- 30.09.2015Azerbaijani Parliament adopts action plan of autumn session
- 30.09.2015Sariyya Seyidova re-appointed judge of Baku Court of Appeal
- 30.09.2015Last session of Azerbaijani parliament’s fourth convocation kicks off
- 29.09.2015Mogherini calls meeting with Lavrov on sidelines of UN General Assembly 'good, useful'
- 28.09.2015Taliban fighters seize Kunduz city in Afghanistan
- 26.09.2015Number of registered MPs reaches 217
- 22.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on occasion of Eid al-Adha
- 22.09.2015Arif Gasimov appointed head of Nizami District Executive Authority
- 22.09.2015Azerbaijani diplomats may be stripped of their ranks for any action incompatible with diplomatic service
- 21.09.2015Vali Abdullayev appointed chairman of Ganja Kepez district court
- 21.09.2015New chairmen of Baku and Shaki courts of appeal appointed
- 21.09.2015Agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani Parliament’s autumn session announced
- 19.09.2015CEC registers more 11 candidates for parliamentary elections
- 19.09.2015Azerbaijan’s 2016 budget package submitted to Parliament
- 18.09.2015Azerbaijani delegation refuses to attend OSCE PA session
- 18.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Does fascism emerge in Europe again?!
- 18.09.2015People will vote to join Azerbaijan if referendum is held in Nagorno-Karabakh, says Armenian NGO leader
- 18.09.2015Martirosyan: If borders are opened, influx of refugees from Armenia to Azerbaijan will be like the one to Europe
- 18.09.2015Armenian army incapable of figthing against any other army, says Armenian NGO leader
- 18.09.2015Armenian NGO leader says he wants draw attention of international community, Armenian diaspora to Sargsyan’s criminal regime - PHOTO - UPDATED
- 18.09.2015Masked assailants beat 86-year-old woman to death in Azerbaijan
- 18.09.2015Azerbaijani president: Armenia faces mass emigration, people unable to stand such conditions any more
- 18.09.2015President: Public control in Azerbaijan must become even stronger
- 17.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Kurdamir district
- 17.09.2015Hungarian riot police fire tear gas at migrants
- 16.09.2015Azerbaijani deputy PM explains unwillingness of opposition’s aggressive part to participate in elections
- 16.09.2015Ali Ahmadov: Announcement of YAP candidates on Sept 15 preplanned
- 16.09.2015CEC registers authorized representatives of one party and one bloc of political parties
- 15.09.201513 current YAP MPs not re-nominated
- 14.09.2015Azerbaijani Parliament passes decision on European Parliament's resolution
- 14.09.2015Azerbaijani parliament slams European Parliament over recent resolution
- 14.09.2015Martin Schulz, mired in corruption, has no right to point out flaws with regard to Azerbaijan, says parliamentary vice-speaker
- 14.09.2015Azerbaijani Parliament starts extraordinary session
- 12.09.2015Obama: House vote shows support for Iran deal is growing
- 11.09.2015Germany puts soldiers on call to help migrants
- 11.09.2015Parliamentary committee chairman: Calls to impose sanctions on Azerbaijani officials – ridiculous
- 11.09.2015Azerbaijan Parliament to hold extraordinary session
- 10.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviews Technical and Humanitarian Lyceum after repair and reconstruction in Baku
- 10.09.2015Baku mayor’s office appoints venue for APFP congress
- 08.09.2015Today dirty campaign continues against Azerbaijan – President Aliyev
- 08.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Financial situation in Azerbaijan stable
- 08.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani government to work in new situation next year
- 08.09.2015Azerbaijani president: Projects that are not priority must not be included in budget and investment programs
- 08.09.2015Sharp drop in oil prices may be politically motivated, says Azerbaijani president
- 08.09.2015Meeting on economic issues and works on preparing 2016 state budget held with participation of Azerbaijani president
- 05.09.2015UN urges Europe to admit 200,000 refugees
- 04.09.2015First bloc of political parties to participate in Azerbaijan parliamentary elections registered
- 03.09.2015Several judges punished for serious shortcomings in Azerbaijan
- 03.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviews physics-math and informatics biased lyceum in Yasamal District of Baku after major reconstruction
- 03.09.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviews secondary school No. 189-190 in Sabail District of Baku
- 03.09.2015Andrzej Kasprzyk expresses concern over escalation of tension on frontline
- 02.09.2015Irada Gulmammadova: I’ll do my utmost to justify president’s confidence
- 02.09.2015Woman head of executive authority appointed in Azerbaijan
- 02.09.2015Azerbaijani president changes heads of executive authority of several cities and districts
- 02.09.2015Int’l organizations’ attempts to politicize court decision on Khadija Ismayilova’s case unacceptable, says Azerbaijani president’s aide
- 31.08.2015Azerbaijani President issues order on dismissal of head of Kangarli Region Executive Power
- 31.08.2015One of two brothers stabbed in Baku dies
- 30.08.2015Military plane crashes in northern Nigeria, killing seven
- 30.08.2015Thousands rally in Beirut against political leaders, rot
- 28.08.2015Azerbaijan parliamentary elections set for Nov. 1
- 27.08.2015Mehriban Aliyeva: "Thank you for your love and trust"
- 26.08.2015Ali Ahmadov, US ambassador discuss preparations for parliamentary elections
- 26.08.2015Official website of Azerbaijan’s First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva redesigned - PHOTO
- 26.08.2015Azerbaijan’s First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2015Tariff Council approves the price of 801 medicines
- 23.08.201522 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil regions by Armenian armed forces
- 21.08.2015Azerbaijani police to prevent attempts of unauthorized events during election period – deputy interior minister
- 21.08.2015Upcoming parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan must be model for other countries, says first vice-speaker
- 21.08.2015Parliamentary committee chairman: Court verdict concerning Leyla and Arif Yunus ‘quite humane’
- 18.08.2015Karabakh Liberation Organization holds protest outside Georgian Embassy in Azerbaijan
- 13.08.2015Tahir Budagov appointed chairman of State Statistics Committee
- 13.08.2015Ali Ahmadov meets with British ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 13.08.2015CEC holds seminar on political parties’ presenting their annual financial statement
- 13.08.2015Azerbaijan names parties withholding financial report
- 13.08.2015Ukraine and rebels trade blame for violating ceasefire
- 12.08.2015Azerbaijani President: "Despite the sharp decline in oil prices, we haven't cut any social project"
- 11.08.2015Azerbaijani President visits several facilities in Jalilabad - UPDATED
- 11.08.2015President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heydar Aliyev Center in Jalilabad - UPDATED
- 11.08.2015President Ilham Aliyev visits Jalilabad district
- 11.08.2015Ali Hasanov: Jagland’s such statement won’t be needed after he familiarizes with work done by Azerbaijani government
- 10.08.2015Azerbaijani President takes investigation of journalist’s death under personal supervision
- 10.08.2015Date for Azerbaijani Parliament’s last session in 4th convocation made public
- 03.08.2015We want Iran cooperation, not meddling, Gulf Arabs tell Kerry
- 01.08.2015Mirmahmud Miralioglu, re-elected as chairman of CPFP, won’t run as candidate in next congress
- 29.07.2015SBS comments on reports of Russian border guards’ illegal crossing into Azerbaijani territory
- 24.07.2015Court rejects Musavat Party lawsuit against Baku mayor’s office
- 24.07.2015TURKPA Secretary General addresses OSCE Permanent Council
- 17.07.2015Azerbaijani President issues order on restoration of religious historical and cultural monuments
- 16.07.2015Azerbaijan’s ruling party prepares initial list of parliamentary candidates
- 15.07.2015Iranian ambassador says hopes West will boost anti-terror efforts after Vienna agreement
- 14.07.2015Azerbaijani defense minister gives special instruction to army
- 14.07.2015President criticized AZAL: Why airline tickets in comparison with other countries, have to be expensive?
- 13.07.2015Iran court holds third hearing in espionage trial of U.S. journalist
- 13.07.2015Necessary to accelerate visa issuance process and lower prices of air tickets and hotels, says Azerbaijani president
- 13.07.2015Europe in deep economic and moral crisis, says Azerbaijani president
- 13.07.2015Azerbaijani president chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 12.07.2015Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijan has a bright future and no power can affect our successes"
- 09.07.2015Azerbaijan likely to cancel state registration of 12 political parties
- 08.07.2015APFP deputy chairman resigns
- 08.07.2015Afghan delegation meeting Taliban in Pakistan
- 04.07.2015Armed men commit attack on Kapital bank
- 03.07.2015Azerbaijan, Russia, Iran and Kazakhstan to hold consultations on the establishment of collective security system in the Caspian Sea
- 02.07.2015International NGOs carry out only orders of their owners, says Azerbaijani top official