Azerbaijan sets punishments for internet insult and slander
APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
Related news releases
- 05.10.2015Mirshahin Aghayev: We will file lawsuit against NTRC for its decision
- 05.10.2015ANS TV channel fined AZN 54,000
- 02.10.2015Ali Hasanov: President Ilham Aliyev takes all steps for formation of free and pluralistic society
- 02.10.2015NTRC chairman: Limit of compromise for TV channel already expired
- 25.09.201513 Turkish pilgrims still missing after Mecca stampede - UPDATED
- 24.09.2015Azerbaijan’s well-known announcer Davud Ahmadov died - VİDEO
- 23.09.2015AzTV deputy chairman dismissed
- 22.09.2015PACE pre-election mission meets with heads of several Azerbaijani media agencies
- 08.09.2015New TV channel and radio created in Azerbaijan
- 19.08.2015Defense Ministry to accredit reporters to be sent to areas along front line based on MNS’s reference
- 19.08.2015Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan ready to share all experience to create International Turkic News Channel
- 10.08.2015Aflatun Amashov: Those who are guilty of Rasim Aliyev’s murder will be punished
- 09.08.2015Ministry of Internal Affairs and General Prosecutor's Office issue joint statement on death of Rasim Aliyev
- 09.08.2015Ali Hasanov: The issues related to Rasim Aliyev’s death were taken under special supervision and are being investigated seriously
- 09.08.2015Journalist, who was beaten and hospitalized yesterday, dies
- 06.08.2015NTRC: List not fully ready of programmes for which dossiers to be prepared
- 05.08.2015Azerbaijan’s cable network operators renew packages
- 28.07.2015Azerbaijani media company conducts filming of 13th European Youth Olympic Festival in Tbilisi - PHOTOSESSION
- 25.07.2015Press Council chairman addresses reporters over front line developments
- 22.07.2015Solemn ceremony held to mark the 140th anniversary of National Press of Azerbaijan - PHOTOSESSION
- 22.07.2015APA becomes one of winners of competition for most extensive coverage of First European Games
- 22.07.2015Ali Hasanov: Several decisions were taken at the meeting of President Ilham Aliyev with the members of Press Council
- 22.07.2015140 years pass since establishment of Azerbaijani national press
- 21.07.2015AZN 5M allocated to continue construction of residential building for journalists
- 21.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives board members of Press Council - UPDATED
- 20.07.2015A group of journalists awarded with Azerbaijani president’s honorary diplomas
- 20.07.2015Two journalists to receive individual scholarship of President of Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2015Azerbaijani President issues an order on awarding media representatives
- 20.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev issues an order on awarding media representatives with honorary titles
- 07.07.2015NTRC: Number of telecasts that serious measures will be taken on increasing day by day
- 30.06.2015APA Holding issued more than 12,000 news releases about first European Games
- 29.06.2015BSU hosts conference dedicated 140th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s national press - PHOTO
- 22.06.2015OSCE media freedom representative calls for immediate release of Al Jazeera journalist arrested in Germany
- 16.06.2015German newspaper exposes anti-Azerbaijan campaign by Western media
- 11.06.2015No one appealed for visit to Azerbaijan in name of Amnesty International – president’s aide
- 10.06.2015Address to Azerbaijani journalists: "Let’s protect the official twitter-page of the I European Games"
- 08.06.2015Ethiopian journalists visit APA Holding
- 05.06.2015Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan’s sound journalism has always been against such people - PHOTO
- 02.06.2015President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 140th jubilee of Azerbaijan’s national media
- 02.06.2015APA Holding starts issuing special newsletters on 1st European Games