APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
- 28/11/2013 Dunja Mijatović presents her regular report
- 24/11/2013 "Friend of Journalists" award presented to Azerbaijan's President
- 16/11/2013 APA celebrates 9th birthday - VİDEO
- 14/11/2013 Sona Valiyeva appointed as member of National Television and Radio Council
- 13/11/2013 “Ganun” Publishing House appeals to court regarding tax inspections
- 11/11/2013 Sector chief at Presidential Administration: “All conditions have been created for freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan”
- 02/11/2013 Tax inspections launched in “Qanun” publishing house
- 25/10/2013 Azerbaijan not to adopt law “On Defamation” this year
- 23/10/2013 Public Affairs Officer and Information Officer of U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan visit APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 19/10/2013 Funds for Azerbaijan Television and Radio Broadcasting Company to be increased
- 14/10/2013 Venice Commission’s opinion on Azerbaijani draft law on defamation
- 11/10/2013 Coverage of Azerbaijani presidential elections, immediate release of information were APA Holding's priorities - STATISTICS
- 11/10/2013 World Media Summit to set up WMS Global Prizes for Journalism
- 04/10/2013 Azerbaijan’s draft law on Protection from Defamation to be discussed at Venice Commission session
- 02/10/2013 Aflatun Amashov: “We are mostly concerned about a smear campaign conducted by journalists against some candidates on the eve of elections”
- 27/09/2013 Azerbaijani President again named “Journalists’ friend”
- 21/09/2013 Azerbaijan Press Council to hold monitoring regarding journalists in September 22 rally
- 18/09/2013 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “I don’t pay the whole of attention for those written about us by the media”
- 18/09/2013 Chairman of Azerbaijan Press Council: “The draft law on Defamation will be adopted by the end of the year”
- 18/09/2013 Baku hosts seminar “Media ethics in electoral process”
- 18/09/2013 Richard Morningstar: "Many media outlets in Azerbaijan are disseminating unreliable, false information and speculations”
- 30/08/2013 Azerbaijani Parliament to discuss draft law “On defamation” during autumn session
- 06/08/2013 Dunja Mijatović comments on a group of journalists’ arrest regarding Ergenekon coup case
- 26/07/2013 APA Holding and GRBS Group of Companies sign cooperation agreement - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/07/2013 Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of AZN 5 mln for construction of new building for journalists
- 22/07/2013 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev: "Support for journalists will be continued"
- 22/07/2013 Azerbaijani President lays foundation of new residential building for journalists
- 11/07/2013 Aflatun Amashov reelected as chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 11/07/2013 President Ilham Aliyev: "Creation of conditions for free mass media is one of the main directions of the state policy "
- 11/07/2013 6th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off - PHOTO
- 06/07/2013 VI Congress of Azeri Journalists to take place on July 11
- 19/06/2013 Names of the winners of international competition "The Bobs - Best of Online Activism" announced
- 18/06/2013 Sixth Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum kicks off in Germany - PHOTO
- 14/06/2013 President of APA Holding Vusala Mahirgizi: “Press doesn’t highlight women’s problems properly”
- 13/06/2013 "Android" versions of “APA Holding” websites developed
- 12/06/2013 Former Director-General of UNESCO Federico Mayor Zaragoza to visit Baku
- 11/06/2013 Israeli Ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding - PHOTO
- 06/06/2013 OSCE media freedom representative expresses concern about police treatment of media at protests in Germany
- 06/06/2013 Azerbaijan allocates AZN 400 000 to each TV channel for shooting series
- 03/06/2013 Vugar Safarli reappointed as executive director of State Fund for Support of Mass Media Development under Azerbaijani President