Azerbaijan sets punishments for internet insult and slander
APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
Related news releases
- 29.01.2016Financial aid may be allocated to internet media in Azerbaijan
- 23.01.2016NTRC Chairman: Laws are mostly violated by ANS TV channel
- 23.01.2016NTRC temporarily suspends execution of decision on ‘Hesabat’ program aired on ANS TV
- 22.01.2016Mirshahin Aghayev: NTRC is clearly demonstrating a bias against ANS
- 22.01.2016NTRC suspends ‘Hesabat’ program aired on ANS TV
- 18.01.2016State Fund for Support of Mass Media Development in need of extra funding
- 29.12.2015NTRC dismisses allegations of ANS TV channel
- 25.12.2015Azerbaijan to take drastic measures against illegal media sponsors
- 25.12.2015New apartments to be granted to journalists in 2016 – Azerbaijani president’s aide
- 25.12.2015Media outlets in Azerbaijan should not abuse favorable conditions, says presidential aide
- 24.12.2015Journalists need to know what to do if their requests remain unanswered – Press Council
- 23.12.2015ANS broadcasting and media company fined AZN 161,000
- 16.12.2015One of leading Azerbaijani newspaper announces its closure
- 15.12.2015Emin Agalarov to open TV channel
- 04.12.2015Without serious PR strategy, brand advertising campaign yield adverse effect, says APA Holding head
- 23.11.2015Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office warns heads of some websites - LIST
- 20.11.2015Over 1,000 media representatives killed in line of duty in past ten years
- 19.11.2015Iranian embassy spokesperson visits APA Holding
- 18.11.2015Adequate measures will be taken against media outlets and journalists who spread false information, says Azerbaijani presidential aide
- 17.11.2015Israeli ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2015APA celebrates 11th birthday
- 10.11.2015Forum of European and Asia Media kicks off in Moscow
- 05.11.2015Press Council chairman speaks about Rauf Mirgadirov’s trial
- 02.11.2015Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on mass media
- 27.10.2015Azerbaijan changes administrative regulations for receipt of requests and documents for foreign journalist accreditation
- 15.10.2015NTRC to take decision regarding TV hosts
- 05.10.2015Mirshahin Aghayev: We will file lawsuit against NTRC for its decision
- 05.10.2015ANS TV channel fined AZN 54,000
- 02.10.2015Ali Hasanov: President Ilham Aliyev takes all steps for formation of free and pluralistic society
- 02.10.2015NTRC chairman: Limit of compromise for TV channel already expired
- 25.09.201513 Turkish pilgrims still missing after Mecca stampede - UPDATED
- 24.09.2015Azerbaijan’s well-known announcer Davud Ahmadov died - VİDEO
- 23.09.2015AzTV deputy chairman dismissed
- 22.09.2015PACE pre-election mission meets with heads of several Azerbaijani media agencies
- 08.09.2015New TV channel and radio created in Azerbaijan
- 19.08.2015Defense Ministry to accredit reporters to be sent to areas along front line based on MNS’s reference
- 19.08.2015Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan ready to share all experience to create International Turkic News Channel
- 10.08.2015Aflatun Amashov: Those who are guilty of Rasim Aliyev’s murder will be punished
- 09.08.2015Ministry of Internal Affairs and General Prosecutor's Office issue joint statement on death of Rasim Aliyev
- 09.08.2015Ali Hasanov: The issues related to Rasim Aliyev’s death were taken under special supervision and are being investigated seriously