APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
- 07/03/2014 Conference "Freedom of religion, missionary work and media" held in Baku
- 21/02/2014 Submission of documents for new TV channel competition ends in Azerbaijan
- 19/02/2014 Khadija Ismayil gives testimony at Prosecutor's Office
- 18/02/2014 Known who will preside over Parviz Hashimli’s trial
- 14/02/2014 TV channel’s broadcasting suspended in Azerbaijan
- 12/02/2014 Aflatun Amashov: “I won’t be surprised if Azerbaijan ranks the last in the list of Reporters Without Borders”
- 10/02/2014 National Television and Radio Council warns Space and Public TV
- 07/02/2014 OSCE Representative of Media Freedom comments on deportation of Azerbaijani journalist from Turkey
- 29/01/2014 Ali Hasanov: “We want to form the most civilized system for printed media distribution in Baku”
- 28/01/2014 NTRC warns two TV channels, ANS fined AZN 1000
- 27/01/2014 UK Ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA-Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/01/2014 Document submission for competition launched on opening of new TV channel in Azerbaijan starts
- 15/01/2014 Street trading of newspapers and magazines prohibited in Baku
- 14/01/2014 Azerbaijan launches new competition to open a new TV channel
- 19/12/2013 Revealed when Azerbaijan will switch to digital broadcasting
- 11/12/2013 Extension of license term of Azerbaijani TV channel postponed
- 09/12/2013 Vladimir Putin signs order on abolishment of RIA Novosti information agency
- 28/11/2013 Dunja Mijatović presents her regular report
- 24/11/2013 "Friend of Journalists" award presented to Azerbaijan's President
- 16/11/2013 APA celebrates 9th birthday - VİDEO
- 14/11/2013 Sona Valiyeva appointed as member of National Television and Radio Council
- 13/11/2013 “Ganun” Publishing House appeals to court regarding tax inspections
- 11/11/2013 Sector chief at Presidential Administration: “All conditions have been created for freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan”
- 02/11/2013 Tax inspections launched in “Qanun” publishing house
- 25/10/2013 Azerbaijan not to adopt law “On Defamation” this year
- 23/10/2013 Public Affairs Officer and Information Officer of U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan visit APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 19/10/2013 Funds for Azerbaijan Television and Radio Broadcasting Company to be increased
- 14/10/2013 Venice Commission’s opinion on Azerbaijani draft law on defamation
- 11/10/2013 Coverage of Azerbaijani presidential elections, immediate release of information were APA Holding's priorities - STATISTICS
- 11/10/2013 World Media Summit to set up WMS Global Prizes for Journalism
- 04/10/2013 Azerbaijan’s draft law on Protection from Defamation to be discussed at Venice Commission session
- 02/10/2013 Aflatun Amashov: “We are mostly concerned about a smear campaign conducted by journalists against some candidates on the eve of elections”
- 27/09/2013 Azerbaijani President again named “Journalists’ friend”
- 21/09/2013 Azerbaijan Press Council to hold monitoring regarding journalists in September 22 rally
- 18/09/2013 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “I don’t pay the whole of attention for those written about us by the media”
- 18/09/2013 Chairman of Azerbaijan Press Council: “The draft law on Defamation will be adopted by the end of the year”
- 18/09/2013 Baku hosts seminar “Media ethics in electoral process”
- 18/09/2013 Richard Morningstar: "Many media outlets in Azerbaijan are disseminating unreliable, false information and speculations”
- 30/08/2013 Azerbaijani Parliament to discuss draft law “On defamation” during autumn session
- 06/08/2013 Dunja Mijatović comments on a group of journalists’ arrest regarding Ergenekon coup case