APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
- 30/06/2015 APA Holding issued more than 12,000 news releases about first European Games
- 29/06/2015 BSU hosts conference dedicated 140th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s national press - PHOTO
- 22/06/2015 OSCE media freedom representative calls for immediate release of Al Jazeera journalist arrested in Germany
- 16/06/2015 German newspaper exposes anti-Azerbaijan campaign by Western media
- 11/06/2015 No one appealed for visit to Azerbaijan in name of Amnesty International – president’s aide
- 10/06/2015 Address to Azerbaijani journalists: "Let’s protect the official twitter-page of the I European Games"
- 08/06/2015 Ethiopian journalists visit APA Holding
- 05/06/2015 Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan’s sound journalism has always been against such people - PHOTO
- 02/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 140th jubilee of Azerbaijan’s national media
- 02/06/2015 APA Holding starts issuing special newsletters on 1st European Games
- 29/05/2015 New members elected to Broadcasting Council of Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company
- 29/05/2015 APA TV celebrates 2nd birthday
- 21/05/2015 NTRC warns some TV channels
- 20/05/2015 Riga hosts first Eastern Partnership Media Conference - PHOTO
- 15/05/2015 Presentation event on launching Oxford University Press held in Baku- PHOTOSESSION
- 15/05/2015 Ali Hasanov: 140th anniversary of Azerbaijani press to be marked at state level
- 13/05/2015 New candidates nominated for ITV Broadcasting Council membership
- 30/04/2015 Documents on APA’s investigative article ‘Anti-Azerbaijani campaign led by John Kerry's office in Congress’
- 30/04/2015 Vusala Mahirgizi presents documents that APA’s investigative article was based on
- 28/04/2015 Well-known Turkish specialist conducts training at APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 23/04/2015 Aflatun Amashov meets OSCE representative
- 16/03/2015 Vesti.az information agency marks 5th birthday
- 12/03/2015 Ali Hasanov: Pluralism atmosphere in Azerbaijan doesn’t fall behind those in other countries
- 02/03/2015 Azerbaijan State Information Agency marks 95th anniversary - PHOTO
- 02/03/2015 Baku hosts meeting of News Agencies World Council
- 02/03/2015 Azerbaijani state does not imagine its life without free media – Presidential aide
- 02/03/2015 Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani media fully free
- 06/02/2015 Azerbaijan to tighten penalties for violation of license regulations and conditions in broadcasting
- 08/01/2015 Members of Azerbaijani Press Council Management Board visit French Embassy
- 06/01/2015 Trial over criminal case against journalist Sevinj Osmangizi starts
- 29/12/2014 Azadliq Radio suspected of money laundering
- 26/12/2014 Ukrainian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 24/12/2014 Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan doesn’t imagine its domestic life without free media
- 16/12/2014 NTRC issues warning to ANS
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijan makes amendment to law ‘On mass media outlets’
- 15/12/2014 Palestinian ambassador meets with APA Holding president - PHOTO
- 15/12/2014 128 journalists killed worldwide in 2014: Report
- 15/12/2014 Indonesian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 12/12/2014 Theyoung man, upon whom complaint Khadija Ismayil has been arrested, makes clarification
- 11/12/2014 Ali Hasanov: In near future Azerbaijan, Turkey will expand opportunities of speaking with one voice