APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
- 15/09/2014 Turkish Embassy in Azerbaijan awards director general and news anchor of APA TV
- 03/09/2014 Chairman of Board of Star Media Group: We bought SOCAR Turkey Energy’s all stakes in media group
- 01/09/2014 Hasan Hasanov awarded 3rd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”
- 26/08/2014 American publicist: “The U.S. Congress should consider again the activity of Radio Liberty in Azerbaijan”
- 04/08/2014 Websites of APA Holding agencies undergoing Armenian hacker attacks via open IP addresses
- 31/07/2014 Publication of “Azadliq” newspaper suspended
- 22/07/2014 Number of registered media outlets in Azerbaijan made public
- 22/07/2014 139 years pass since establishing the national press of Azerbaijan
- 25/06/2014 Lent.az Information Agency celebrates 6 years
- 17/06/2014 APA Holding correspondent on visit to Iraq
- 09/06/2014 Vusala Mahirqizi: ‘Facebook is one of the best places for public opinion research’ - PHOTOSESSION
- 29/05/2014 APA TV celebrates first birthday
- 27/05/2014 Vusala Mahirgizi: “There is no media group in Azerbaijan meeting the requirements of news portal structure” - PHOTO
- 26/05/2014 Journalist pardoned for the second time in Azerbaijan
- 22/05/2014 Publication of “Azaglig” newspaper may be suspended
- 19/05/2014 PACE co-rapporteurs meet with a group of journalists
- 16/05/2014 Spanish well-known edition writes about APA
- 07/05/2014 Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 02/05/2014 Ali Hasanov chastises Freedom House report
- 29/04/2014 A group of European journalists visit APA Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/04/2014 Heated discussions held on Ukraine as a part of 12th Eurasian Media Forum in Astana
- 22/04/2014 Azerbaijan to take part in 12th Eurasian Media Forum
- 11/04/2014 TV channel closed in Azerbaijan
- 09/04/2014 Director and two employees of APA Holding’s ICT Department win contest held by Hackathon Azerbaijan - PHOTOSESSION
- 16/03/2014 Vesti.az” information agency marks 5th birthday
- 14/03/2014 Winner of competition launched for opening new TV channel in Azerbaijan named
- 07/03/2014 Conference "Freedom of religion, missionary work and media" held in Baku
- 21/02/2014 Submission of documents for new TV channel competition ends in Azerbaijan
- 19/02/2014 Khadija Ismayil gives testimony at Prosecutor's Office
- 18/02/2014 Known who will preside over Parviz Hashimli’s trial
- 14/02/2014 TV channel’s broadcasting suspended in Azerbaijan
- 12/02/2014 Aflatun Amashov: “I won’t be surprised if Azerbaijan ranks the last in the list of Reporters Without Borders”
- 10/02/2014 National Television and Radio Council warns Space and Public TV
- 07/02/2014 OSCE Representative of Media Freedom comments on deportation of Azerbaijani journalist from Turkey
- 29/01/2014 Ali Hasanov: “We want to form the most civilized system for printed media distribution in Baku”
- 28/01/2014 NTRC warns two TV channels, ANS fined AZN 1000
- 27/01/2014 UK Ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA-Holding - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/01/2014 Document submission for competition launched on opening of new TV channel in Azerbaijan starts
- 15/01/2014 Street trading of newspapers and magazines prohibited in Baku
- 14/01/2014 Azerbaijan launches new competition to open a new TV channel