Azerbaijan sets punishments for internet insult and slander
APA reports that the parliament has today discussed the amendments made to the Criminal Code. Chairman of the Committee on legal policy and state building Ali Huseynli gave information about the amendments.
Huseynli said that if the law envisages responsibility for press insult and slander, it must also be applied to internet insult and slander.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that the increase of the responsibility for internet insult and slander is obscure: “We are becoming a part of the civilized world. Though I thought differently a few years ago, I believe that we can approve the Law on Defamation and abolish the Criminal Code articles 147.1 (slander) and 148 (insult).”
Vice-speaker Ziyafat Asgarov said only few EU countries have Law on Defamation.
“If it is a good law, the EU should set an example for us. The Law on Defamation is not among our commitments before the Council of Europe. This has been simply offered to us. I think the Azerbaijani society is not ready for it,” he said.
According to the amendments, the words “or in the media outlet” in articles 147 (slander) and 148 (insult) have been replaced with “in the media outlet or in internet information resource if demonstrated publicly”. So, the punishments envisaged in these articles will also be applied to the reports spread in internet information media.
Under article 147.1 of the Criminal Code, fines from AZN 100 up to AZN 500 and public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6-month imprisonment are envisaged for slander, disgracing a person in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly and mass media. Under article 148, fines from AZN 300 to AZN 1000, public works up to 240 hours, corrective work up to a year or 6 months imprisonment are envisaged for deliberately insulting honor and dignity of a personality in public speeches, works demonstrated publicly or mass media.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2016Azerbaijan Press Council appeals to Ukrainian presidential administration, foreign ministry, information policy ministry
- 27.05.2016Information of Ukrainian website doesn’t reflect official position of Kiev – embassy
- 26.05.2016Azerbaijani Press Council to appeal to the Ukrainian authority - STATEMENT
- 26.05.2016APA Information Agency has no correspondent accredited in separatist regions
- 25.05.2016Khadija Ismayilova released from prison
- 24.05.2016Preliminary investigation into case of former head of Azerbaijan’s State Flag Square Complex completed
- 19.05.2016Azerbaijan in contact with Afghan side regarding SilkWay aircraft crash
- 12.05.2016Azerbaijani president grants financial assistance to private TV and radio broadcasters
- 03.05.2016President of Azerbaijani TV channel dies
- 29.04.2016APA launches Armenian-language news service
- 27.04.2016Azerbaijani president’s aide: Some media outlets approach to Karabakh conflict as clash of civilizations
- 13.04.2016Do not let journalist ask what you want to say by calling again - OPINION
- 12.04.2016Azerbaijan may ban local media from releasing some kinds of information
- 09.04.2016APA TV subjected to provocation
- 06.04.2016PACE co-rapporteur meets media representatives in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2016Azerbaijan organizes foreign journalists’ trip to contact line
- 05.04.2016Another Azerbaijani civilian wounded by Armenian-fired shell
- 04.04.2016Azerbaijani Press Council: Russian media mainly cites Armenian sources
- 18.03.2016Azerbaijan Press Council head meets with head of CoE Baku Office
- 16.03.2016Vesti.az information agency marks 7th birthday
- 01.03.2016Azerbaijan State News Agency marks 96th anniversary
- 26.02.2016State Committee approval required for establishing religious press publications in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2016Turkish TV channels TRT 1, TRT Haber and TRT Avaz to conduct live broadcasts on Khojaly genocide anniversary
- 17.02.2016How many companies can really value the role of PR manager in it? - OPINION
- 16.02.2016Information officer of US embassy in Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 29.01.2016Financial aid may be allocated to internet media in Azerbaijan
- 23.01.2016NTRC Chairman: Laws are mostly violated by ANS TV channel
- 23.01.2016NTRC temporarily suspends execution of decision on ‘Hesabat’ program aired on ANS TV
- 22.01.2016Mirshahin Aghayev: NTRC is clearly demonstrating a bias against ANS
- 22.01.2016NTRC suspends ‘Hesabat’ program aired on ANS TV
- 18.01.2016State Fund for Support of Mass Media Development in need of extra funding
- 29.12.2015NTRC dismisses allegations of ANS TV channel
- 25.12.2015Azerbaijan to take drastic measures against illegal media sponsors
- 25.12.2015New apartments to be granted to journalists in 2016 – Azerbaijani president’s aide
- 25.12.2015Media outlets in Azerbaijan should not abuse favorable conditions, says presidential aide
- 24.12.2015Journalists need to know what to do if their requests remain unanswered – Press Council
- 23.12.2015ANS broadcasting and media company fined AZN 161,000
- 16.12.2015One of leading Azerbaijani newspaper announces its closure
- 15.12.2015Emin Agalarov to open TV channel
- 04.12.2015Without serious PR strategy, brand advertising campaign yield adverse effect, says APA Holding head