Two Suspected Militants Killed in N.Caucasus
Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2016Prosperous Armenia party member flees country taking party's $100mln
- 28.04.2016Russia asks UN to blacklist 2 powerful Syrian rebel groups
- 27.04.2016Procedure to extradite Ukraine's Savchenko from Russia started
- 27.04.2016Russian, Turkish foreign ministers may meet in China
- 27.04.2016Extremists may infiltrate into CIS from Afghanistan — Kyrgyz general staff chief
- 26.04.2016Russian Foreign Ministry sees no preconditions for resuming disarmament dialogue with US
- 26.04.2016Ukraine marks 30 years since Chernobyl disaster
- 26.04.2016Yerevan: "It was a wave explosion"
- 26.04.2016Belarus, U.S. ready to normalize ties: Belarusian FM
- 25.04.2016Bus explodes in Yerevan
- 23.04.2016Russia grants Ukraine's request to delay Eurobond case defense
- 21.04.2016Russian FM pays an official visit to Armenia to discus settlement of Nagorno Karabak conflict
- 20.04.2016Federation Council speaker: Russia has political will for Savchenko exchange
- 19.04.2016Poroshenko says Savchenko agreed to stop hunger strike
- 19.04.2016Russian FM to visit Armenia on Apr. 21-22
- 19.04.2016Ukraine begins process of Savchenko's extradition from Russia
- 19.04.2016Moscow hosting meeting of Eurasian parliamentary speakers
- 19.04.2016Poverty rate in Armenia is 76%
- 19.04.2016Suspect arrested after throwing grenade at Kocharyan’s house
- 19.04.2016Kremlin: Putin, Poroshenko discuss jailed Ukrainian pilot, Russian soldiers
- 19.04.2016Ukraine hands Russian servicemen 14-year prison terms
- 18.04.2016Presidents of Russia and the US discussed the situation in Syria
- 16.04.2016Yerevan police informed of assault on Armenia ex-president’s house
- 15.04.2016November 16 to be marked as President’s Day in Tajikistan
- 15.04.2016Rally to be held outside Armenian presidential residence
- 15.04.2016Chief of Russian General Staff arrives in Yerevan
- 14.04.2016Putin believes there will be no military action in east Ukraine
- 14.04.2016Putin expresses doubt West to lift anti-Russian sanctions soon
- 14.04.2016Putin: US should respect its partners including Russia
- 14.04.2016Putin: Turkey is Russia’s friend, but there are problems with certain politicians
- 14.04.2016Putin believes IS may expand
- 13.04.2016Protest march to Russian Embassy in Armenia held in Yerevan
- 13.04.2016Russia to spend some $200,000 on Lenin body preservation in 2016
- 12.04.2016Armenia President convenes National Security Council meeting
- 11.04.2016Russian Foreign Ministry accuses US of ‘hunt’ on Russians
- 11.04.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: ICRC has no official information about those captured
- 11.04.2016Three suicide bombers blow themselves up near police department in Russia
- 09.04.2016Official: Steps are taken to increase the CIS effectiveness
- 07.04.2016Lavrov: Progress in drafting convention on legal status of Caspian is obvious
- 07.04.2016Russian PM on official visit to Yerevan