Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 19/04/2014 Diplomacy doesn't move insurgents in Ukraine
- 19/04/2014 East Ukraine separatists stay put despite diplomatic deal
- 18/04/2014 SBU puts on wanted list Yanukovych's son Oleksandr
- 18/04/2014 Ukraine asks ICC to investigate alleged crimes in late 2013-early 2014
- 18/04/2014 Yatsenyuk: Ukraine to fulfill all provisions of Geneva deals
- 18/04/2014 Ukraine-EU free trade zone can start working from November 1 — EU envoy
- 17/04/2014 Lavrov: Russia does not intend to send troops to Ukraine
- 17/04/2014 Russia tries to aggravate situation in Ukraine — Yatsenyuk
- 17/04/2014 Putin: "First I have to see my ex-wife Lyudmila Alexandrovna married, and only then think about myself"
- 17/04/2014 Putin says Russia not afraid of NATO expansion
- 17/04/2014 Russian President to sign decree on rehabilitation of Crimean Tatars
- 17/04/2014 Putin: “The people of Transnistria should be allowed to decide their fate themselves”
- 17/04/2014 Putin says Ukraine risks abyss, dialogue only solution
- 17/04/2014 Russia criticizes US for denying entry visa to Iran’s new ambassador to UN
- 17/04/2014 Russia mulls lawsuit against U.S. in WTO over sanctions
- 16/04/2014 Pro-Russia separatists take armor, humiliating Ukraine forces
- 16/04/2014 Russia tests Obama's ability to stop its advances
- 16/04/2014 Russia expects Vietnam to soon join Customs Union: Russian FM
- 16/04/2014 Ukraine targets Russian bank for 'financing terrorists'
- 16/04/2014 Four militants killed in Dagestan - Russian National Antiterrorism Committee
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine has restored control over airport in eastern Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine declares Crimea "temporarily occupied territory"
- 15/04/2014 Ukraine pushes tanks toward flashpoint separatist city
- 15/04/2014 Ukrainian army launches operation against separatists in east, two injured
- 15/04/2014 Separatists ignore ultimatum, tighten grip on east Ukraine
- 15/04/2014 Separatist unrest spreads in Ukraine; ultimatum ends with no crackdown
- 15/04/2014 Putin to Obama: Use your influence to prevent bloodshed in Ukraine - UPDATED
- 14/04/2014 Anti-Kremlin protest draws thousands in Moscow
- 14/04/2014 Putin appoints Aksyonov acting governor of Crimea
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov heads the operational headquarters of the special operation in eastern Ukraine
- 14/04/2014 Yulia Tymoshenko: “War has actually been declared against Ukraine, we should stop them, otherwise they won’t stop”
- 14/04/2014 APA Holding launches new project
- 14/04/2014 Turchynov doesn't exclude holding referendum about federalization of Ukraine
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Security Council discussing imposing state of emergency in country’s east
- 13/04/2014 Ukrainian Interior Ministry confirms resignation of Donetsk region police chief
- 12/04/2014 Ukraine's acting president convenes Security Council over unrests in southeast
- 12/04/2014 Putin pledges to fulfil Europe gas obligations
- 12/04/2014 RF finance minister: Ukraine is to conduct reform to have extra aid from RF
- 12/04/2014 Russian ministries set to return Scythian gold collection back to Crimean museums
- 12/04/2014 Ukrainian PM pledges more powers for regions