Two Suspected Militants Killed in N.Caucasus
Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
Related news releases
- 31.05.2016Russian FM: Turkey obliged to apologize and compensate for losses
- 31.05.2016Donbass to not accept int’l forces in region
- 31.05.2016Gas in Armenia to become 6% cheaper as of July 1
- 31.05.2016Top military officials arrested in Armenia
- 30.05.2016Russian NATO envoy says Black Sea will never be "NATO’s lake"
- 28.05.2016Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia's cross-hairs
- 27.05.2016Savchenko: I could run for president if Ukrainians want it
- 27.05.2016Russia, US to create alliance to bring Russian fuel to US market
- 27.05.2016Russia forces kill 5 ISIL militants in North Caucasus
- 25.05.2016Poroshenko congratulates Savchenko on return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Savchenko makes first speech upon return to Ukraine
- 25.05.2016Russia frees Ukraine pilot Savchenko in prisoner swap
- 25.05.2016Plane carrying Savchenko departs to Kiev - UPDATED
- 25.05.2016Almost 3,000 Russians left country to join terrorist groups
- 25.05.2016Food, uniforms intended for Armenian army on sale in Poland
- 25.05.2016Poverty deepening in Armenia
- 25.05.2016Ticket sales from Russia to Azerbaijan increased by 90 percent
- 25.05.2016Five gunmen supporting IS detained in North Caucasus — ministry
- 24.05.2016Russia ready to set up broad anti-terrorist front
- 24.05.2016Russian Defense Ministry summons US Embassy attache over spotted reconnaissance plane
- 24.05.2016Russia calls for 'regime of calm' in Syria's Eastern Ghouta and Daraya
- 23.05.2016Russia blasts NATO for Cold War mentality
- 23.05.2016Armenian president dismisses another general of Armed Forces
- 21.05.2016IS cell members detained in Russia’s Ingushetia
- 20.05.2016Russia proposes joint airstrikes on Syria rebels with U.S.-led coalition
- 19.05.2016Russia's FSB chief says terrorist attack may be behind EgyptAir flight crash
- 19.05.2016Gunman shot dead after taking 6 hostage in Moscow bank
- 18.05.2016Kiev refuses to pay for Russian gas sent to Donbass
- 17.05.2016Mass brawl erupts between Chechen and Dagestani wrestlers in Russia
- 15.05.2016Russia retains right to respond to U.S. missile defense deployment in Europe - ministry
- 15.05.2016Militants kill two police in Russia's Dagestan, Islamic State claims responsibility
- 14.05.2016Mass brawl occurred at cemetery, MoscowMass brawl occurred at cemetery, Moscow - UPDATED
- 14.05.2016Helicopter crashes into lake in Russia
- 14.05.2016News Feed Magnitude 4.9 earthquake registered on Dagestan-Chechnya border
- 14.05.2016Russia will act to neutralize U.S. missile shield threat: Putin
- 13.05.2016Kyrgyzstan detains former officials on suspicion of trying to seize power
- 12.05.2016Russia to ban imports of lemon from Turkey
- 12.05.2016Ukraine's auto production drops 27.5 pct
- 12.05.2016Russia says U.S. partners in Europe not threatened by Iranian missiles
- 12.05.2016Russian weapons performed well in Syria but more improvement needed: Putin