Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 27/01/2015 Ukrainian parliament recognizes Russia as ‘aggressor’ - UPDATED
- 27/01/2015 Employee of Russian Central Bank shoots dead 3 colleagues, then himself
- 27/01/2015 Ukraine's ambassador to UN: There are over 12,000 Russian soldiers in eastern Ukraine
- 27/01/2015 Russia defiant after more threats from West over Ukraine
- 27/01/2015 Russia warns West not to blackmail it over Ukraine
- 26/01/2015 Putin accuses Kiev of serving NATO interests
- 26/01/2015 Putin calls Ukrainian Army 'NATO Legion'
- 26/01/2015 Ukrainian govt declares state of emergency in Donetsk, Luhansk
- 26/01/2015 First Deputy Chief of Armenia's Police: Theory that Permyakov had not acted alone is also considered
- 26/01/2015 EU’s foreign ministers and OSCE Permanent Council to discuss situation in Ukraine
- 24/01/2015 Ukrainian Defence Ministry makes public statistics of Donbass battle on January 17-22
- 24/01/2015 Adviser to President of Ukraine informs about latest fight in Donetsk airport and releases photos - PHOTOSESSION
- 24/01/2015 10 civilians killed in Grad shelling of Ukraine’s Mariupol
- 24/01/2015 Russia threatens to suspend contacts with PACE
- 24/01/2015 Pro-Russian rebels reject peace deal, launch new offensive
- 24/01/2015 Putin blames Ukraine's 'criminal orders' for new fighting
- 24/01/2015 Fighting in east Ukraine leaves thousands without power
- 24/01/2015 Moldova to form minority coalition government
- 23/01/2015 Dozens killed in eastern Ukraine as fighting rages
- 23/01/2015 Putin: Authorities giving criminal orders are to blame for deaths of people in Donbas
- 23/01/2015 Yerevan residents to organize protest march to demand Russian serviceman’s transfer to Armenia
- 22/01/2015 Russian deputies to visit Armenia’s Gyumri
- 22/01/2015 Ukraine again declines Russia’s federalization call
- 22/01/2015 Mortar shell strikes tram stop in Donetsk leaving 13 dead
- 22/01/2015 Kiev warns Russia of losing Ukrainian gas market
- 21/01/2015 Russia hits back at Obama over State of Union speech
- 21/01/2015 Poroshenko: Another 2,000 Russian troops enter Ukraine
- 21/01/2015 Lavrov: Russia ready to cooperate with NATO in case of equal dialogue between partners
- 21/01/2015 Sergei Lavrov: We see attempts to politicize Gyumri incident
- 21/01/2015 Lavrov calls for direct dialogue between Kiev and Donbas
- 21/01/2015 US unable to solve any problem alone – Russian FM
- 21/01/2015 Moody’s downgrades 8 Russian non-financial corporates
- 20/01/2015 6 killed in Kazakh light plane crash
- 20/01/2015 Adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister: “300 separatists have been killed in a week in the east of Ukraine”
- 20/01/2015 Russia, Iran sign military cooperation deal
- 20/01/2015 Reason inciting Russian serviceman to murder seven members of one family in Gyumry disclosed
- 20/01/2015 14 killed, over 100 wounded in fighting in east Ukraine
- 19/01/2015 6-month-old baby wounded by Russian soldier in Gyumri dies
- 19/01/2015 Ukrainian Interior Ministry initiates criminal case against Donetsk People’s Republic leaders
- 19/01/2015 Russian Investigative Committee chairman to visit Yerevan