Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 24/04/2015 US ‘masterminds’ all present-day military conflicts – Russian General Staff
- 24/04/2015 Eurovision 2015 representatives to perform at Moscow concert today
- 24/04/2015 Vladimir Putin arrives in Yerevan to attend events dedicated to the fictional “Armenian Genocide”
- 24/04/2015 Russia set to coordinate efforts for peace settlement in Syria with UN — Foreign Ministry
- 24/04/2015 Russian Interior Ministry says Chechen leader's words on "shooting to kill" inadmissible
- 23/04/2015 Ukrainian president wants referendum on NATO membership
- 23/04/2015 Main suspect in Nemtsov murder case claims having alibi
- 23/04/2015 Abkhazia ‘part of Georgia’ – Lukashenko
- 23/04/2015 More than 40 injured in Moscow hostel fire
- 22/04/2015 Russia sees IS as main enemy: FM
- 22/04/2015 Putin discusses with Erdogan his scheduled visit to Yerevan over 100th anniversary of ‘Armenian genocide’
- 22/04/2015 FM: Russia ready for security cooperation with US
- 22/04/2015 IS our main enemy today – Russian FM
- 22/04/2015 Russian UN ambassador: Russia to continue efforts to promote intra-Syrian dialogue
- 22/04/2015 Lavrov: Russia interested in soonest lifting of anti-Iranian sanctions
- 21/04/2015 Gazprom ready to build pipeline from Turkish Stream through Greece as part of consortium
- 21/04/2015 Moscow ready to resume dialogue with US if it is initiated by Washington — Kremlin
- 21/04/2015 Turkish consulate car catches fire in Kharkiv
- 21/04/2015 UN: Number of immigrants from Ukraine reached 800 961 people
- 20/04/2015 Putin’s Yerevan visit not to harm ties with Turkey – Kremlin
- 20/04/2015 Putin: Westerners only love Russia that would need humanitarian aid
- 20/04/2015 North Caucasus terrorist leaders killed in special operation in Dagestan
- 20/04/2015 Putin to visit Armenia on April 24
- 20/04/2015 Details emerge of disappearance of Russian city mayor
- 20/04/2015 Fires hit Khakassia again
- 20/04/2015 Moscow mayor’s office turns down Armenian request for protest outside Turkish embassy
- 19/04/2015 Russia to supply S-300s to Iran despite Israel’s objections - deputy defense minister
- 18/04/2015 Lukashenko will not go to Moscow on May 9 parade
- 17/04/2015 Kiev needs security guarantees from NATO - FM
- 17/04/2015 U.S. troops arrive in Lviv to train Ukrainian servicemen
- 17/04/2015 More remains of human bodies found at site of MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 17/04/2015 Vladimir Putin: “Vatican and Turkey will overcome the tension”
- 16/04/2015 Moscow should use anti-Russian sanctions to make economic advances — Putin
- 16/04/2015 Russia regards no country as its foe — Putin
- 16/04/2015 Russian President: “The U.S. doesn’t need allies, it needs vassals”
- 16/04/2015 Putin says Nemtsov killing 'tragic and shameful'
- 16/04/2015 No Russian troops in Ukraine – Putin
- 16/04/2015 Putin denies rumors on Poroshenko’s ‘take Donbas’ offer
- 16/04/2015 Putin: Russia's S-300 air defense system supplies to Iran no threat to Israel
- 16/04/2015 Putin: I don't expect sanctions to end 'anytime soon'