Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine says Azerbaijanis also among separatists
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine crisis puts Britain's Cameron on spot over Russian donations
- 23/07/2014 Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- 23/07/2014 Kiev to introduce sanctions against Russian officials, companies — Yatsenyuk
- 23/07/2014 Tel Aviv-bound Russian Transaero plane U-turns, goes back to Moscow
- 22/07/2014 EU Council not approve new sanctions on Russia — EU foreign policy chief
- 22/07/2014 Putin: “We will adequately and coherently respond to the approach of NATO to our borders”
- 22/07/2014 Verkhovna Rada approves Poroshenko's partial mobilization decree
- 22/07/2014 Rebels release train with bodies from downed jet
- 22/07/2014 Ukraine rebels hand black boxes from downed plane to Malaysia experts
- 21/07/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of three settlements in Donetsk region
- 20/07/2014 Ukraine, rebels argue over wreck; Europeans give Putin 'last chance'
- 20/07/2014 Tajikistan, Turkmenistan to sign deal on cross-border railway
- 20/07/2014 250 civilian persons killed in Lugansk Region of Ukraine since beginning of summer - OSCE
- 19/07/2014 Ukraine says Russia helping destroy crash evidence
- 19/07/2014 One should not tell Russia what to do; it is necessary to sit down to talks – Lavrov
- 19/07/2014 Neither Buk nor other weaponry crossed Russian border into Ukraine - spokesman
- 18/07/2014 World leaders demand answers after airliner downed over Ukraine with 298 dead
- 18/07/2014 Boeing-777 shot down by separatists in east Ukraine – US intelligence
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims identified
- 18/07/2014 Armenian Karabakh war veteran sentenced to six years in jail
- 18/07/2014 121 people found dead at Malaysian airliner crash site - Ukraine emergencies service - PHOTOSESSION
- 18/07/2014 Crash claims top AIDS researchers heading to Melbourne
- 18/07/2014 Ukraine responsible for investigation into Malaysian jet crash - IAC
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia to work with Russia, Ukraine governments on MH17
- 18/07/2014 Aeroflot cancels several flights to Ukrainian cities
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 US citizens and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
- 17/07/2014 Rosaviatsia: Ukraine closed airspace in east to commercial flights 3 days ago
- 17/07/2014 Ukraine says rebels shoot down Malaysian airliner, 295 dead
- 17/07/2014 Both sides in Ukraine deny shooting down plane
- 17/07/2014 Moscow court sentences main sponsor of separatist regime in Nagorno Karabakh Levon Ayrapetyan to two months imprisonment - PHOTO
- 17/07/2014 200 Ukraine servicemen killed in Izvarino
- 17/07/2014 International Bank of Azerbaijan assets jump by 25%
- 17/07/2014 Ukrainian journalist: “Ukrainian military plane was shot down by Russian plane”
- 17/07/2014 Russia to respond to latest U.S. sanctions
- 17/07/2014 Russia set to reopen Soviet-era spy post on Cuba - source
- 17/07/2014 Norway foreign minister had to hide in shelter from HAMAS missiles when visiting Ashkelon
- 17/07/2014 Putin meets with presidents of Peru, Chile and Colombia
- 17/07/2014 More Ukrainian soldiers killed as fighting rages in east, peace move flops