Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 30/03/2015 Kremlin will not comment on gas discount for Ukraine — spokesman
- 30/03/2015 New clashes in eastern Ukraine leave two dead
- 30/03/2015 Russian State Duma Chairman arrives in Yerevan
- 30/03/2015 New figure appears in criminal case of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 30/03/2015 Preliminary results of Uzbek presidential election to be announced Monday, turnout at 91 pct
- 29/03/2015 Putin letter to Arab summit triggers strong Saudi attack
- 29/03/2015 Over 85 percent of voters cast ballots in Uzbek presidential election
- 28/03/2015 Soyuz spacecraft with Russian, US astronauts docks at ISS
- 28/03/2015 Official: 1,500 North Caucasus people fight in Iraq, Syria
- 27/03/2015 The media reported the arrest of the FSB Deputy Governor of the Chelyabinsk region
- 27/03/2015 Visa-free agreement with Russia to come into force soon
- 27/03/2015 Kremlin seriously concerned over situation in Yemen — Putin’s spokesman
- 26/03/2015 Latvia’s non-citizens ask Russian parliament for help
- 26/03/2015 4 killed, 20 injured after bus hits landmine in Ukraine
- 26/03/2015 Kiev ready to withdraw tanks from line of contact in Donbas — Poroshenko
- 26/03/2015 Parents of deceased Armenian soldiers stage protest outside Presidential Administration of Armenia
- 26/03/2015 Moscow says U.S. security strategy "anti-Russia"
- 25/03/2015 First batch of armored Humvees from the U.S. arrived to Ukraine - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/03/2015 Poroshenko dismisses Dnepropetrovsk Governor Kolomoyskyi
- 24/03/2015 Moscow calls on US to stop financial and trade blockade of Cuba — Lavrov
- 23/03/2015 Kremlin urges France, Germany to push Ukraine more on peace deal
- 23/03/2015 Death toll in eastern Ukraine crosses 6,000 - UN
- 23/03/2015 Party of Regions releases information about death of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych’s son
- 23/03/2015 Another Armenian soldier dies of "unknown cause"
- 20/03/2015 Sanctions over Ukraine crisis linked to Minsk deal implementation: EU
- 20/03/2015 Netanyahu poised for governing coalition after final vote tally
- 19/03/2015 Moscow invites US to attend WWII Victory Day Parade
- 19/03/2015 Peskov: Date of Putin’s visit to Armenia being specified
- 19/03/2015 UK troops start training mission in Ukraine
- 19/03/2015 Armenian president makes anti-Russian statement
- 19/03/2015 Putin signs treaty integrating South Ossetia into Russia
- 18/03/2015 Russia may consider gas discount for Ukraine
- 18/03/2015 Ukraine to build fortifications along contact line with rebels
- 18/03/2015 Russia, South Ossetia sign treaty on alliance
- 18/03/2015 Russian FM: Transnistrian conflict cannot be settled with ultimatums
- 17/03/2015 U.S. vows to keep sanctions over Russian annexation of Crimea
- 17/03/2015 Fighting rages near Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire
- 16/03/2015 Lavrov: If conflict sides interested, Moscow ready to discuss sending peacekeeping mission to Donbass
- 16/03/2015 Putin comments on rumors of poor health
- 14/03/2015 Death toll rises to 19 in Russia fire