Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 20/11/2014 Obama should have gotten 'Nobel War Prize' — Russian MP
- 20/11/2014 Lavrov: “World community should give rebuff to Islamic State, other extremist groups”
- 20/11/2014 Former PM of Kazakhstan under house arrest
- 19/11/2014 Fresh violence in eastern Ukraine leaves 5 dead
- 19/11/2014 Putin backs deeper ties with North Korea after meeting Kim envoy
- 19/11/2014 Ukrainian PM rules out direct talks with rebels
- 19/11/2014 Russia blasts Ukraine for payment freeze
- 19/11/2014 Russia to allocate $270m to Armenia for repair of Metsamor nuclear power plant
- 19/11/2014 Russia needs guarantees Ukraine will not join NATO – Peskov
- 19/11/2014 Opposition to hold large-scale rally in Yerevan on December 10
- 19/11/2014 Russia’s active ties with Asia not alternative to relations with West – Lavrov
- 19/11/2014 Russia, Germany need constant dialogue on Ukraine — Russia FM
- 18/11/2014 US wishes to subdue Russia, but no one will ever manage this — Putin
- 18/11/2014 Minsk, Moscow should adequately react to EU sanctions — Belarusian FM
- 18/11/2014 Isolated at G20, Putin shows he will do it his way in Ukraine
- 17/11/2014 Ukraine independent, free, sovereign state – Putin
- 16/11/2014 Police detain man with WWII mortar dummies in Moscow metro
- 16/11/2014 Russia defence ministry to airlift field hospital to Ebola-hit Guinea
- 15/11/2014 Sanctions against Russian banks to have negative impact on Germany - Putin
- 15/11/2014 Heavy casualties reported in eastern Ukraine fighting
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine plans to buy 2.5 billion cubic meters of natural gas from Russia under "winter deal"
- 15/11/2014 Putin sees G20 as beneficial format for cooperation
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine's PM says main task is to build army to stop Russia
- 14/11/2014 Russia accuses OSCE mission in Ukraine of presenting biased pictures
- 14/11/2014 CIS Executive Secretary: Ukraine's quitting CIS will primarily hit itself
- 14/11/2014 Iran, Russia to have long-term cooperation on nuclear power plants
- 13/11/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Washington should take first step to improve Russia-US relations
- 13/11/2014 Russian bomber patrols to reach Gulf of Mexico
- 13/11/2014 Poroshenko calls for speeding up investigation into crimes against EuorMaidan protesters
- 12/11/2014 Ukraine redeploys troops, fearing new rebel offensive
- 12/11/2014 Russia to begin testing its Ebola drugs
- 11/11/2014 EU to discuss Ukraine support, Russia sanctions
- 11/11/2014 One dead, four injured in helicopter rough landing in southern Russia
- 11/11/2014 Russian, Syrian FMs to meet in Moscow
- 11/11/2014 CNN International withdraws from Russia
- 08/11/2014 Lavrov: Russia, US to try to convince Ukrainian leadership to fulfill Geneva obligations
- 08/11/2014 Russian central bank says ready to increase interventions in currency market
- 08/11/2014 Russia sees int'l Anti-Terrorism Coalition collapsed
- 08/11/2014 Ukraine’s government to make list of uncontrolled settlements in eastern region
- 08/11/2014 People’s Front of Arseny Yatsenyuk wins Rada elections - CEC