Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
- 31/07/2014 Ukraine's parliament votes against PM Yatsenyuk's resignation
- 31/07/2014 Ukraine increases military spending
- 31/07/2014 Ukrainian parliament ratifies agreement on Netherlands and Australia sending servicemen to Donbass
- 31/07/2014 Ukraine parliament to gather for extraordinary closed-door meeting July 31
- 30/07/2014 Russia warns sanctions will backfire on West
- 30/07/2014 Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site
- 30/07/2014 On the Donetsk region nine children were blown up on a mine
- 30/07/2014 St. Petersburg airport evacuated due to bomb threat
- 29/07/2014 About 50 thousand people attended funeral of the Azerbaijani mayor of Kremenchug Oleg Babayev
- 29/07/2014 Chairman of Russia’s upper house Foreign Policy Committee leaving post - media
- 28/07/2014 UN says over 1,100 killed, nearly 3,500 wounded in Ukraine since mid-April
- 28/07/2014 Russian FM says US, EU sanctions not to achieve their goal
- 28/07/2014 Lavrov: Crimea is part of Russia, there weren’t any talks with anybody about this matter, there are no talks and there can be no talks
- 28/07/2014 Ukraine's Defense Ministry admits 40 soldiers crossing over to Russia - Reports
- 27/07/2014 Ukraine preparing to retake Donet
- 25/07/2014 Ukrainian troops enter Lysychansk
- 25/07/2014 Deputy Prime Minister Groysman Picked as Acting Ukrainian PM - Minister Avakov
- 24/07/2014 Arseniy Yatsenyuk resigns from post of Ukrainian prime minister
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine says Azerbaijanis also among separatists
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- 24/07/2014 Ukraine crisis puts Britain's Cameron on spot over Russian donations
- 23/07/2014 Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- 23/07/2014 Kiev to introduce sanctions against Russian officials, companies — Yatsenyuk
- 23/07/2014 Tel Aviv-bound Russian Transaero plane U-turns, goes back to Moscow
- 22/07/2014 EU Council not approve new sanctions on Russia — EU foreign policy chief
- 22/07/2014 Putin: “We will adequately and coherently respond to the approach of NATO to our borders”
- 22/07/2014 Verkhovna Rada approves Poroshenko's partial mobilization decree
- 22/07/2014 Rebels release train with bodies from downed jet
- 22/07/2014 Ukraine rebels hand black boxes from downed plane to Malaysia experts
- 21/07/2014 Ukrainian troops take control of three settlements in Donetsk region
- 20/07/2014 Ukraine, rebels argue over wreck; Europeans give Putin 'last chance'
- 20/07/2014 Tajikistan, Turkmenistan to sign deal on cross-border railway
- 20/07/2014 250 civilian persons killed in Lugansk Region of Ukraine since beginning of summer - OSCE
- 19/07/2014 Ukraine says Russia helping destroy crash evidence
- 19/07/2014 One should not tell Russia what to do; it is necessary to sit down to talks – Lavrov
- 19/07/2014 Neither Buk nor other weaponry crossed Russian border into Ukraine - spokesman
- 18/07/2014 World leaders demand answers after airliner downed over Ukraine with 298 dead
- 18/07/2014 Boeing-777 shot down by separatists in east Ukraine – US intelligence
- 18/07/2014 Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims identified
- 18/07/2014 Armenian Karabakh war veteran sentenced to six years in jail