Two Suspected Militants Killed in N.Caucasus
Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
Related news releases
- 29.11.2015Russia imposes ban on employment of Turkish nationals
- 29.11.2015Putin signs decree suspending visa-free trips for Turkish citizens as of Jan 1, 2016
- 29.11.2015Russia imposes economic restrictions against Turkey - UPDATED
- 28.11.2015Russia imposes Economic Restrictions against Turkey after downing of Su-24
- 28.11.2015Russia suspends cooperation with TURKSOY
- 27.11.2015Putin refuses contacts with Erdoğan
- 27.11.2015Russia suspends visa-free regime with Turkey
- 27.11.2015ATOR: Russian travel companies may go bankruptcy in 2016
- 27.11.2015Another Russian female student detained over attempt to join IS
- 27.11.2015Peskov: Erdogan phoned Putin seven and eight hours after downing of Su-24 bomber
- 27.11.2015Moscow does not plan to interfere in fate of Erdogan - Putin
- 27.11.2015Putin: deployment of S-400 in Syria not aimed against antiterror partners
- 27.11.2015Turkish attack unexpected; Russia considered Turkey to be a friendly state - Putin
- 27.11.201526 Turkish businessmen held in Russia
- 27.11.2015Russian resident: “ISIS supplies oil from Syria to Turkey”
- 27.11.2015Putin: "It is impossible for the Turkish Air Force not to recognize Russia’s planes"
- 26.11.2015Russia will take diplomatic, military measures after Turkey shot down su-24
- 26.11.2015Putin: Moscow still awaiting apology from Turkey
- 26.11.2015Russia creates problems for Turkish tourists
- 26.11.2015Russia says Turkey’s actions will not go unanswered
- 25.11.2015Draft law on “Armenian genocide” submitted to Russia Duma
- 25.11.2015Ukraine closes airspace to all Russian planes
- 25.11.2015Russia says not willing to artificially create problems for Turkish producers, exporters
- 25.11.2015Russian, Turkish FMs hold phone conversation
- 25.11.2015So far there have been no high-level contacts between Moscow and Ankara - Kremlin
- 25.11.2015Russia should not break off the diplomatic relations – Communist Party leader
- 25.11.2015Putin: Turkish leadership purposefully supports Islamization of country
- 25.11.2015Putin: Commander killed in Syria will be awarded Star of Hero of Russia
- 25.11.2015Russia to send S-300 defense missile systems to base in Syria
- 25.11.2015Downed Russian Su-24: one of two pilots rescued
- 25.11.2015Russia to temporarily ban poultry imports from Turkey
- 25.11.2015Russia says does not expect objectiveness from NATO on downed Su-24
- 25.11.2015Russia may recall ambassador from Turkey
- 25.11.2015Turkish companies may lose positions on Russian market – PM Medvedev
- 25.11.2015Russia Deploys Maritime Air Defense After Jet Shot Down Over Syria
- 24.11.2015Russia soldier killed in downed jet rescue operations
- 24.11.2015Kremlin has no official information yet about fate of pilots of Su-24
- 24.11.2015First stage of power bridge to Crimea to be commissioned on December 20 — Energy Minister
- 24.11.2015Russian FM cancels visit to Turkey
- 24.11.2015Russia summons Turkish military attaché