Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia tries to portray Karabakh conflict as Muslim-Christian confrontation
Armenia which has been continuing the occupation of Azerbaijani territories for about 25 years tries to portray the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as a confrontation between Muslims and Christians, said Ziyafat Asgarov, first vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament.
He made the remarks at a panel session entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, which was held as part of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5, APA reported.
The vice-speaker noted that Armenia, through such attempts, aims to undermine relations between religions and peoples in Azerbaijan.
“However, all these efforts of Armenia are in vain. Azerbaijan has made an important contribution to the world by holding the first European Games and the Islamic Solidarity Games,” he added.
According to him, about 25 years ago, it was suggested that after the end of the Cold War, there is no longer any need to divide countries into the first, second and third ones, and the clash of civilizations and the Islamic world with the West will be inevitable.
Asgarov said that the emerging problems demonstrate the absence of an alternative to the unification of mankind. He called for joint efforts to address problems such as ethnic separatism, terrorism, epidemics, drug trafficking, etc.
“Globalization, on the one hand, paves the way for the establishment of relations among peoples, on the other hand, leads to tensions. It is necessary to work on convergence of civilizations through the establishment of cultural bridges. Parliaments play an important role in this respect,” he added.
Speaking about inter-parliamentary relations, Asgarov said the Azerbaijani parliament had established ties with the parliament of about 180 countries.
“Culture is an expression of the spirit of people. Dialogue among civilizations and cultures should be the goal of humanity. Azerbaijan is a model of the state that protects the rights of every person, regardless of their national and religious affiliation. Intercultural and interreligious dialogue, multiculturalism remain Azerbaijan’s state policy,” added the vice-speaker.
Related news releases
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 16.11.2017Baku agrees with proposal to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in Vienna - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Moscow reacts to Matthew Bryza’s statement on possible change in Minsk Group format
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report
- 13.11.2017Meeting of OSCE MG co-chairs, PACE co-rapporteurs on Karabakh conflict postponed
- 13.11.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Armenian FM in Moscow
- 13.11.2017Nearly 4,600 IDP families in Azerbaijan currently live in homes in disrepair – MP
- 12.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 11.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017U.S. diplomat says status quo in respect of Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’
- 10.11.2017OSCE Permanent Council holds meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan expects OSCE MG to take practical steps to intensify peace negotiations over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.11.2017Contacts in various formats on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict are no exception – Russian Foreign Ministry
- 08.11.2017Armenians attempt to interrupt Karabakh discussions during NATO PA seminar
- 08.11.2017Moscow: OSCE MG co-chairs plan to organize meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs by year-end
- 07.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: To change status quo, occupation of Azerbaijani lands must end
- 07.11.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 07.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta discusses Karabakh conflict with U.S. co-chair of OSCE MG
- 07.11.2017Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents is ‘a positive step’, says U.S. envoy
- 06.11.2017Dennis Sammut: Potential war in Karabakh won’t be like before
- 06.11.2017Turkey's municipal heads visit Jojug Marjanli
- 05.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 04.11.2017Anti-tank grenade blows up killing one and wounding two in Armenian military unit in Nagorno Narakabh
- 03.11.2017Women of Khojaly sends letter to CNN host Bourdain over his illegal visit to Karabakh
- 03.11.2017OSCE chief says ‘important’ to work with Russia to settle conflicts
- 03.11.2017U.S. supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says ambassador
- 03.11.2017Lavrov: OSCE’s potential should be used in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.05.2017FM: Armenian army presence in occupied Azerbaijan lands remains major threat to regional peace
- 05.05.2017Fuad Huseynov: Armenia tries to resettle Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 06.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in 24 hours
- 05.05.2017American journalist meets co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.05.2017ICRC comments on reports of its workers being opened fire at by Armenians in Aghdam
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president: We restored Armenian church in Baku, while Armenia annihilated our cultural heritage in occupied lands