Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia tries to portray Karabakh conflict as Muslim-Christian confrontation
Armenia which has been continuing the occupation of Azerbaijani territories for about 25 years tries to portray the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as a confrontation between Muslims and Christians, said Ziyafat Asgarov, first vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament.
He made the remarks at a panel session entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, which was held as part of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5, APA reported.
The vice-speaker noted that Armenia, through such attempts, aims to undermine relations between religions and peoples in Azerbaijan.
“However, all these efforts of Armenia are in vain. Azerbaijan has made an important contribution to the world by holding the first European Games and the Islamic Solidarity Games,” he added.
According to him, about 25 years ago, it was suggested that after the end of the Cold War, there is no longer any need to divide countries into the first, second and third ones, and the clash of civilizations and the Islamic world with the West will be inevitable.
Asgarov said that the emerging problems demonstrate the absence of an alternative to the unification of mankind. He called for joint efforts to address problems such as ethnic separatism, terrorism, epidemics, drug trafficking, etc.
“Globalization, on the one hand, paves the way for the establishment of relations among peoples, on the other hand, leads to tensions. It is necessary to work on convergence of civilizations through the establishment of cultural bridges. Parliaments play an important role in this respect,” he added.
Speaking about inter-parliamentary relations, Asgarov said the Azerbaijani parliament had established ties with the parliament of about 180 countries.
“Culture is an expression of the spirit of people. Dialogue among civilizations and cultures should be the goal of humanity. Azerbaijan is a model of the state that protects the rights of every person, regardless of their national and religious affiliation. Intercultural and interreligious dialogue, multiculturalism remain Azerbaijan’s state policy,” added the vice-speaker.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017lham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s principled stance on Karabakh conflict remains unchanged
- 26.05.2017Igor Popov: No one had expected progress from Moscow ministerial meeting on Karabakh conflict - INTERVIEW
- 26.05.2017Ambassador: Argentina ready to assist efforts to find peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017EU: Status quo in Karabakh is fragile
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan’s honored journalist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 25.05.2017Armenians set fire to occupied Azerbaijani village
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: UN resolutions are basis for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to int'l organizations over planned flights from Khojaly airport
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 17.05.2017Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 05.05.2017FM: Armenian army presence in occupied Azerbaijan lands remains major threat to regional peace
- 05.05.2017Fuad Huseynov: Armenia tries to resettle Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 06.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in 24 hours
- 05.05.2017American journalist meets co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.05.2017ICRC comments on reports of its workers being opened fire at by Armenians in Aghdam
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president: We restored Armenian church in Baku, while Armenia annihilated our cultural heritage in occupied lands