Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia tries to portray Karabakh conflict as Muslim-Christian confrontation
Armenia which has been continuing the occupation of Azerbaijani territories for about 25 years tries to portray the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as a confrontation between Muslims and Christians, said Ziyafat Asgarov, first vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament.
He made the remarks at a panel session entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, which was held as part of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5, APA reported.
The vice-speaker noted that Armenia, through such attempts, aims to undermine relations between religions and peoples in Azerbaijan.
“However, all these efforts of Armenia are in vain. Azerbaijan has made an important contribution to the world by holding the first European Games and the Islamic Solidarity Games,” he added.
According to him, about 25 years ago, it was suggested that after the end of the Cold War, there is no longer any need to divide countries into the first, second and third ones, and the clash of civilizations and the Islamic world with the West will be inevitable.
Asgarov said that the emerging problems demonstrate the absence of an alternative to the unification of mankind. He called for joint efforts to address problems such as ethnic separatism, terrorism, epidemics, drug trafficking, etc.
“Globalization, on the one hand, paves the way for the establishment of relations among peoples, on the other hand, leads to tensions. It is necessary to work on convergence of civilizations through the establishment of cultural bridges. Parliaments play an important role in this respect,” he added.
Speaking about inter-parliamentary relations, Asgarov said the Azerbaijani parliament had established ties with the parliament of about 180 countries.
“Culture is an expression of the spirit of people. Dialogue among civilizations and cultures should be the goal of humanity. Azerbaijan is a model of the state that protects the rights of every person, regardless of their national and religious affiliation. Intercultural and interreligious dialogue, multiculturalism remain Azerbaijan’s state policy,” added the vice-speaker.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 24.09.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release statement on the meeting of the Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 24.09.2017Substantial negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement discussed in New York - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 23.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-chairs - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with co-chairs today
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenian FM tries to portray Minsk Group co-chairs as ‘tourists’ or ‘event organizers’
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan declares US congressmen persona non grata
- 22.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 22.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally to protest Armenian MPs’ visit to Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on Sept. 23
- 21.09.2017Peace Platform congratulates Armenian, Azerbaijani peoples on Int’l Peace Day
- 21.09.2017Armenian MFA and MoD differ on idea of returning part of occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 21.09.2017Deputy PM: Peoples of Azerbaijan, Armenia tired of Karabakh conflict
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05.05.2017FM: Armenian army presence in occupied Azerbaijan lands remains major threat to regional peace
- 05.05.2017Fuad Huseynov: Armenia tries to resettle Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 06.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in 24 hours
- 05.05.2017American journalist meets co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.05.2017ICRC comments on reports of its workers being opened fire at by Armenians in Aghdam
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president: We restored Armenian church in Baku, while Armenia annihilated our cultural heritage in occupied lands