Armenian social activist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
Armenian social activist Hasmic Buniatyan has joined the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace.
APA presents the statement made by Buniatyan in this regard.
“Realizing the possibility of a peaceful solution to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh, I, Hasmic Buniatyan, support internationally recognized sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republics of Armenia and Azerbaijan. I want to note the importance of solution of the conflict within international law. I fully support UN Charter, resolutions of UN Security Council and the activity of OSCE Minsk Group aimed at peaceful solution of the conflict. Nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan have lived together in peace for centuries. I would like to state with regret that hostility relations dominate between two nations as a result of unresolved conflict, lasting for more than 25 years. It is necessary to stop the war as soon as possible for the sake of peace and prosperity of future generations of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I support the idea of peaceful settlement of the conflict that has been continuing for more than 25 years. Therefore, I express my support to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace, which aims to restore and preserve peace in South Caucasus. For this reason, I make a statement about joining the Platform."
For the purposes of contributing to a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace was established on December 6, 2016. The Platform is an initiative of the citizens of Azerbaijan and Armenia who wish to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The initiative on the creation of the Platform has generated the interest of the international community as well as attracted the high level of public attention in both conflicting states. A large number of well-known experts highly appreciated this initiative and stressed the very special role of the above-mentioned peacekeeping initiative in the process of the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 10.03.2017Lapshin’s case is not an OSCE issue, says Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2017Reason for failure to expand Kasprzyk’s Office explained – A proposal unacceptable to Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2017Greece expresses support for Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 09.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform