Armenian social activist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
Armenian social activist Hasmic Buniatyan has joined the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace.
APA presents the statement made by Buniatyan in this regard.
“Realizing the possibility of a peaceful solution to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh, I, Hasmic Buniatyan, support internationally recognized sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republics of Armenia and Azerbaijan. I want to note the importance of solution of the conflict within international law. I fully support UN Charter, resolutions of UN Security Council and the activity of OSCE Minsk Group aimed at peaceful solution of the conflict. Nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan have lived together in peace for centuries. I would like to state with regret that hostility relations dominate between two nations as a result of unresolved conflict, lasting for more than 25 years. It is necessary to stop the war as soon as possible for the sake of peace and prosperity of future generations of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I support the idea of peaceful settlement of the conflict that has been continuing for more than 25 years. Therefore, I express my support to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace, which aims to restore and preserve peace in South Caucasus. For this reason, I make a statement about joining the Platform."
For the purposes of contributing to a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace was established on December 6, 2016. The Platform is an initiative of the citizens of Azerbaijan and Armenia who wish to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The initiative on the creation of the Platform has generated the interest of the international community as well as attracted the high level of public attention in both conflicting states. A large number of well-known experts highly appreciated this initiative and stressed the very special role of the above-mentioned peacekeeping initiative in the process of the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 21.12.2017Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017NATO hopes for positive change in Karabakh peace process, Gottemoeller says
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 10.03.2017Lapshin’s case is not an OSCE issue, says Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2017Reason for failure to expand Kasprzyk’s Office explained – A proposal unacceptable to Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2017Greece expresses support for Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 09.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict has gone on far too long
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform