Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
The majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral following the liquidation of the Albanian Autocephalous Church - one of the oldest churches in the Christian world, said Evgeny Mikhailov, editor-in-chief of the “Analysis of southern Russia” periodical publication.
“I used to think how come Slavic ethnic groups in Rostov Oblast and Krasnodar Krai during the Soviet period never had any problem with local Armenians who had settled there during the reign of Ekaterina in the 18th century,” he said.
Mikhailov noted that powerful Armenian gangs have emerged in Russia’s south at the time the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, which came about in the wake of the fall of the USSR and Armenia’s occupation of Azerbaijani territories, is in the spotlight.
“They used to look down on their own compatriots. Many times, I’ve seen them insulting them and looking down on them,” said the Russian journalist, adding. “They are humiliated under claims of betrayal to “Great Armenia.” The most interesting point is that those regarded as local Armenians are another ethnic group “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral for many years. I have found out that local Armenians are direct successors to ancient Kipchaks. Most people in Russia are unaware of this fact thanks to Armenia's powerful propaganda.”
Mikhaylov stressed that Arthur Aghajanov, a Ukrainian researcher originally from Nagorno-Karabakh, provides evidence that the majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral following the liquidation of the Albanian Autocephalous Church - one of the oldest churches in the Christian world.
“One of the causes of the conflicts in Karabakh, Rostov, Stavropol, Krasnodar, Don and other regions is “armenianization” and the promotion of the historical Armenian concept “Greater Armenia.” All these historical facts should be carefully considered by the international community and we must do whatever it takes to preserve the unique culture, ethnic heritage, language and history of Armenian-Kipchaks,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre