Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
The majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral following the liquidation of the Albanian Autocephalous Church - one of the oldest churches in the Christian world, said Evgeny Mikhailov, editor-in-chief of the “Analysis of southern Russia” periodical publication.
“I used to think how come Slavic ethnic groups in Rostov Oblast and Krasnodar Krai during the Soviet period never had any problem with local Armenians who had settled there during the reign of Ekaterina in the 18th century,” he said.
Mikhailov noted that powerful Armenian gangs have emerged in Russia’s south at the time the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, which came about in the wake of the fall of the USSR and Armenia’s occupation of Azerbaijani territories, is in the spotlight.
“They used to look down on their own compatriots. Many times, I’ve seen them insulting them and looking down on them,” said the Russian journalist, adding. “They are humiliated under claims of betrayal to “Great Armenia.” The most interesting point is that those regarded as local Armenians are another ethnic group “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral for many years. I have found out that local Armenians are direct successors to ancient Kipchaks. Most people in Russia are unaware of this fact thanks to Armenia's powerful propaganda.”
Mikhaylov stressed that Arthur Aghajanov, a Ukrainian researcher originally from Nagorno-Karabakh, provides evidence that the majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized” by Etchmiadzin Cathedral following the liquidation of the Albanian Autocephalous Church - one of the oldest churches in the Christian world.
“One of the causes of the conflicts in Karabakh, Rostov, Stavropol, Krasnodar, Don and other regions is “armenianization” and the promotion of the historical Armenian concept “Greater Armenia.” All these historical facts should be carefully considered by the international community and we must do whatever it takes to preserve the unique culture, ethnic heritage, language and history of Armenian-Kipchaks,” he added.
Related news releases
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan