Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
Upon the initiative of Russian historian Oleg Kuznetsov, an event was held in Baku May 17 in connection with the Khojaly genocide petition addressed to Russia’s State Duma and Federation Council of the Federal Assembly, APA reported.
In his speech, Kuznetsov noted that the Armenian community of Russia is not as well-organized as the Azerbaijani community.
“When they have to do something, they get 40 people involved. However, they manage these personnel far more skillfully and they have a precise action plan. As many as 19,000 signatures were collected for the petition. Of them, 12,000 came from Azerbaijan. For a country of nearly 10 million people this figure is low,” he said.
The historian added that petitions usually come from foreign countries.
He also explained the low number of signatures.
“There is distrust among people. They don’t think the State Duma would show an attitude on this matter. People think that Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it. If so, what would we need this petition for? Sometimes people are unable to differentiate between signing a petition and approving of something. To sign this petition they need registration via e-mail. People’s access to electronic media resources is limited,” Kuznetsov added.
The historian outlined that most of the signatures came from Lankaran and said that he will go to Ganja and Mingachevir to meet with university students.
Kuznetsov initiated a petition on March 6 for the recognition by the Russian government of the Khojaly genocide against Azerbaijanis on February 25 to 26, 1992. The petition was addressed to the State Duma deputies and the Federation Council. The petition calls for the prosecution of the perpetuators and the recognition of the massacre as a crime against humanity and an act of genocide. The petition is highly important for the massacre to be recognized by the State Duma as genocide and the prosecution of the Armenian criminals responsible for the massacre.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017lham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s principled stance on Karabakh conflict remains unchanged
- 26.05.2017Igor Popov: No one had expected progress from Moscow ministerial meeting on Karabakh conflict - INTERVIEW
- 26.05.2017Ambassador: Argentina ready to assist efforts to find peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017EU: Status quo in Karabakh is fragile
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan’s honored journalist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 25.05.2017Armenians set fire to occupied Azerbaijani village
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: UN resolutions are basis for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to int'l organizations over planned flights from Khojaly airport
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 09.05.2017Three Armenian soldiers drown as a result of accident
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan removes Spanish journalist from ‘black list’
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hope France’s efforts to contribute to fair settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: Great powers can silence Armenia within hours
- 08.05.2017Occupation of Shusha was part of Armenia’s systematic policy of aggression against Azerbaijan – Foreign Ministry
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan arrests group of servicemen, civilians involved in conspiracy with Armenian intelligence services
- 07.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table