Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
Upon the initiative of Russian historian Oleg Kuznetsov, an event was held in Baku May 17 in connection with the Khojaly genocide petition addressed to Russia’s State Duma and Federation Council of the Federal Assembly, APA reported.
In his speech, Kuznetsov noted that the Armenian community of Russia is not as well-organized as the Azerbaijani community.
“When they have to do something, they get 40 people involved. However, they manage these personnel far more skillfully and they have a precise action plan. As many as 19,000 signatures were collected for the petition. Of them, 12,000 came from Azerbaijan. For a country of nearly 10 million people this figure is low,” he said.
The historian added that petitions usually come from foreign countries.
He also explained the low number of signatures.
“There is distrust among people. They don’t think the State Duma would show an attitude on this matter. People think that Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it. If so, what would we need this petition for? Sometimes people are unable to differentiate between signing a petition and approving of something. To sign this petition they need registration via e-mail. People’s access to electronic media resources is limited,” Kuznetsov added.
The historian outlined that most of the signatures came from Lankaran and said that he will go to Ganja and Mingachevir to meet with university students.
Kuznetsov initiated a petition on March 6 for the recognition by the Russian government of the Khojaly genocide against Azerbaijanis on February 25 to 26, 1992. The petition was addressed to the State Duma deputies and the Federation Council. The petition calls for the prosecution of the perpetuators and the recognition of the massacre as a crime against humanity and an act of genocide. The petition is highly important for the massacre to be recognized by the State Duma as genocide and the prosecution of the Armenian criminals responsible for the massacre.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 24.09.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release statement on the meeting of the Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 24.09.2017Substantial negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement discussed in New York - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 23.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-chairs - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with co-chairs today
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenian FM tries to portray Minsk Group co-chairs as ‘tourists’ or ‘event organizers’
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan declares US congressmen persona non grata
- 22.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 22.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally to protest Armenian MPs’ visit to Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on Sept. 23
- 21.09.2017Peace Platform congratulates Armenian, Azerbaijani peoples on Int’l Peace Day
- 21.09.2017Armenian MFA and MoD differ on idea of returning part of occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 21.09.2017Deputy PM: Peoples of Azerbaijan, Armenia tired of Karabakh conflict
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table