President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
Armenia has been occupying twenty percent of Azerbaijan's territory for more than 25 years, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said at the General Debate of the 72nd Session of the UN General Assembly held in New York.
President Aliyev noted that Nagorno-Karabakh is an ancient, historic land of Azerbaijan.
"As a result of Armenian aggression, more than one million of Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons,” he said.
The president then reminded about the Khodjaly genocide, committed by Armenia.
"Armenia committed genocide against Azerbaijanis in Khodjaly. The Khodjaly genocide is already officially recognized by more than 20 countries. On February 26, 1992, Armenia committed a war crime, killing 613 peaceful residents, including 106 women and 63 children,” he said.
He noted that one of those war criminals who committed that terrible crime against humanity is current Armenian president. The president recalled that leading international organizations adopted resolutions demanding withdrawal of Armenian troops from the territories of Azerbaijan.
"In 1993, the UN Security Council adopted four resolutions, demanding immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the territory of Azerbaijan. Other organizations, such as Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the Non Alignment Movement, the OSCE, Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and the European Parliament adopted similar decisions and resolutions. Armenia doesn't implement them,” he said.
Armenia has, for 24 years, been ignoring the UN Security Council resolutions and unfortunately, is not punished for that, the Azerbaijani leader stressed.
“In some case, the UN Security Council resolutions are implemented within days. In our case, it is 24 years that the resolutions are not implemented. This is a double-standard approach, and this approach is unacceptable,” said President Aliyev calling for the imposition of international sanctions on Armenia.
“One of the important reforms of the UN must be the creation of mechanism of implementation of the resolutions of the Security Council. Armenia does everything to keep the status-quo unchanged, block substantive negotiations. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group - France, Russia, the US, on several occasions, stated that the status-quo is unacceptable," he said.
President Aliyev went on to add that there is no international pressure on the aggressor, no international sanctions imposed on Armenian dictatorship.
"This policy must be stopped. Such a policy towards the aggressor is not only demonstration of injustice, it also creates the illusion that the Armenian dictatorship can continue its policy of terror," he said.
The Azerbaijani president also reminded the war crime committed by Armenia in April last year.
“Last April, Armenia committed another war crime on the line of contact, attacking our citizen villages. As a result of this attack, six Azerbaijani civilians were killed,” he said. “As a result of successful counter-attack Azerbaijan liberated some occupied territories and installed its national flag on the liberated territories.”
“The Armenian leadership should not forget this lesson. Otherwise, the result of the next Armenian provocation will be more painful for them,” President Aliyev warned.
President Aliyev said that losing on the battlefield, Armenia uses its mean policy of attacking Azerbaijani cities and villages.
“On July 4, 2017, a targeted attack on Alkhanli village in Fuzuli district by Armenia with 82 and 120 millimeter mortars, and grenade launchers, killed two civilians, two-year old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother,” he said.
“On August 7, 2017, a 13-year old boy in Tovuz region, bordering with Armenia, was wounded by Armenian soldiers,” noted the president.
President Aliyev urged the international community to stop Armenian fascism and terror.
He went on to add that Azerbaijan is committed to peaceful resolution of the conflict, but at the same time, will defend its citizens in line with the UN Charter, if Armenian military provocations continue.
“And if necessary, we will punish once again the aggressor, as it was done in April of 2016. Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be resolved on the basis of international law, relevant UN Security Council resolutions, and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be completely restored,” said the president.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 28.11.2017Artur Agajanov: People-to-people diplomacy plays leading role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 28.11.2017State Commission: Efforts to release Azerbaijani hostages failed due to Armenia’s inhumane position
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijan: Arsen Bagdasaryan is ‘not a prisoner of war’, work underway with int’l organizations for Karapetyan
- 21.09.2017Deputy PM: Peoples of Azerbaijan, Armenia tired of Karabakh conflict
- 21.09.2017Armenian MFA and MoD differ on idea of returning part of occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 21.09.2017Peace Platform congratulates Armenian, Azerbaijani peoples on Int’l Peace Day
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation