President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
Armenia has been occupying twenty percent of Azerbaijan's territory for more than 25 years, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said at the General Debate of the 72nd Session of the UN General Assembly held in New York.
President Aliyev noted that Nagorno-Karabakh is an ancient, historic land of Azerbaijan.
"As a result of Armenian aggression, more than one million of Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons,” he said.
The president then reminded about the Khodjaly genocide, committed by Armenia.
"Armenia committed genocide against Azerbaijanis in Khodjaly. The Khodjaly genocide is already officially recognized by more than 20 countries. On February 26, 1992, Armenia committed a war crime, killing 613 peaceful residents, including 106 women and 63 children,” he said.
He noted that one of those war criminals who committed that terrible crime against humanity is current Armenian president. The president recalled that leading international organizations adopted resolutions demanding withdrawal of Armenian troops from the territories of Azerbaijan.
"In 1993, the UN Security Council adopted four resolutions, demanding immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the territory of Azerbaijan. Other organizations, such as Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the Non Alignment Movement, the OSCE, Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and the European Parliament adopted similar decisions and resolutions. Armenia doesn't implement them,” he said.
Armenia has, for 24 years, been ignoring the UN Security Council resolutions and unfortunately, is not punished for that, the Azerbaijani leader stressed.
“In some case, the UN Security Council resolutions are implemented within days. In our case, it is 24 years that the resolutions are not implemented. This is a double-standard approach, and this approach is unacceptable,” said President Aliyev calling for the imposition of international sanctions on Armenia.
“One of the important reforms of the UN must be the creation of mechanism of implementation of the resolutions of the Security Council. Armenia does everything to keep the status-quo unchanged, block substantive negotiations. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group - France, Russia, the US, on several occasions, stated that the status-quo is unacceptable," he said.
President Aliyev went on to add that there is no international pressure on the aggressor, no international sanctions imposed on Armenian dictatorship.
"This policy must be stopped. Such a policy towards the aggressor is not only demonstration of injustice, it also creates the illusion that the Armenian dictatorship can continue its policy of terror," he said.
The Azerbaijani president also reminded the war crime committed by Armenia in April last year.
“Last April, Armenia committed another war crime on the line of contact, attacking our citizen villages. As a result of this attack, six Azerbaijani civilians were killed,” he said. “As a result of successful counter-attack Azerbaijan liberated some occupied territories and installed its national flag on the liberated territories.”
“The Armenian leadership should not forget this lesson. Otherwise, the result of the next Armenian provocation will be more painful for them,” President Aliyev warned.
President Aliyev said that losing on the battlefield, Armenia uses its mean policy of attacking Azerbaijani cities and villages.
“On July 4, 2017, a targeted attack on Alkhanli village in Fuzuli district by Armenia with 82 and 120 millimeter mortars, and grenade launchers, killed two civilians, two-year old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother,” he said.
“On August 7, 2017, a 13-year old boy in Tovuz region, bordering with Armenia, was wounded by Armenian soldiers,” noted the president.
President Aliyev urged the international community to stop Armenian fascism and terror.
He went on to add that Azerbaijan is committed to peaceful resolution of the conflict, but at the same time, will defend its citizens in line with the UN Charter, if Armenian military provocations continue.
“And if necessary, we will punish once again the aggressor, as it was done in April of 2016. Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be resolved on the basis of international law, relevant UN Security Council resolutions, and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be completely restored,” said the president.
Related news releases
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 21.09.2017Deputy PM: Peoples of Azerbaijan, Armenia tired of Karabakh conflict
- 21.09.2017Armenian MFA and MoD differ on idea of returning part of occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 21.09.2017Peace Platform congratulates Armenian, Azerbaijani peoples on Int’l Peace Day
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation