Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
Numerous events are held in Azerbaijan in connection with the 100th anniversary of the 1918 March Genocide of Azerbaijanis under a relevant order of the country’s president, said Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ogtay Asadov.
He made the remarks on Friday at a special parliamentary session dedicated to the centenary of the genocide, APA reports.
According to the parliamentary speaker, the presidential order includes all necessary measures for raising increased awareness of the genocide carried out against Azerbaijanis by Dashnaks.
He noted that the Armenian issue came up in the South Caucasus with the Russian Tsardom’s invasion of the North Caucasus in 1828.
“The Tsardom of Russia began to relocate Armenians from Iran and the Ottoman Empire in order to strengthen its hold on the occupied territories. In the late twentieth century, a million Armenians were relocated to the Caucasus,” the speaker said.
Asadov stressed that Armenian nationalists’ illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought catastrophes on the South Caucasus, resulting in the death of 2 million people.
“Azerbaijanis in Baku, Yerevan, Daralayaz, Anatolia, Tbilisi, Shamakhy and other areas became subject to massacres. The worst of these genocides took place in March 1918. In Baku alone, in excess of 10 million people were killed. As a consequence of the ethnic cleansing policy carried out by Armenians in western Azerbaijan and present-day Armenia, today there is not a single Azerbaijani remaining in those places. National leader Heydar Aliyev paid special attention to the March Genocide of Azerbaijanis and signed an order in this respect,” he said.
Azerbaijan is developing under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, said the parliamentary speaker, adding. “The president has repeatedly stated that Yerevan and Zangazur are the historical Azerbaijani lands. There is no need to prove this. I’m convinced that the occupied territories will be liberated.”
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan