Kurz says no military solution to conflicts in OSCE area
There is no military solution to the conflicts in the OSCE area, OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Austrian Federal Minister for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs Sebastian Kurz said Thursday specifying the Austrian chairmanship’s priorities during the OSCE Permanent Council’s meeting, APA reported.
“Therefore, there is a need for more dialogue in order to reach a political settlement for conflicts,” he said.
Kurz also stressed the need to intensify the fight against terrorism and radicalism that poses a major threat to security in the OSCE area.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2017Armenian soldier wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: No consensus in OSCE on investigation of incidents in Karabakh - UPDATED
- 17.01.2017Malena Mard: EU supports Minsk Group efforts
- 16.01.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.01.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.01.2017Baku expresses discontent over so-called regime's participation in Sochi KVN festival
- 13.01.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform issues another statement
- 12.01.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk’s mandate extended
- 11.01.2017Hikmat Hajiyev: 1994-1995 ceasefire agreement includes timetable for Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 11.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Former CSTO leaders made ‘a big political mistake’ by taking pro-Armenian stance
- 10.01.2017ICRC: Body of Azerbaijani soldier should be returned as soon as possible
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Myth created by Armenia over years destroyed during April battles
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs continue to encourage Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani envoy stresses need to involve EU to be more vocal about Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs looking for appropriate time to visit region
- 10.01.2017OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge to return body of Azerbaijani serviceman without delay
- 09.01.2017ICRC: Talks underway for return of Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 08.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 44 times
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijan urges int’l organizations to take steps for return of soldier’s body
- 05.01.2017US response to petition urged for return of territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan’s control: ACSDA president
- 03.01.2017Armenian leadership trying to prevent progress in negotiation process – Azerbaijani FM
- 03.01.2017Armenia ignores appeals to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 01.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 31.12.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Armenian military resorted to numerous provocations in 2016
- 31.12.2016Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 1300 times in one month
- 31.12.2016New Year address from Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 31.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia unreasonably delays return of soldier’s corpse
- 31.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 58 times
- 30.12.2016Russian Foreign Ministry commented on Nikolay Bordyuzha's statement
- 30.12.2016US interim co-chair of OSCE MG appointed
- 30.12.2016ICRC says ready for neutral intermediary in repatriation of Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 29.12.2016Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry strongly condemns Armenia's provocation
- 29.12.2016Russian ombudsperson pays respect to Khojaly memorial in Baku
- 28.12.2016Austria to do utmost to prevent further escalation in Karabakh conflict zone: OSCE incoming chair
- 28.12.2016Belarus ambassador comments on negotiations to extradite blogger Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2016Azerbaijan’s Khankendi, 25 years under Armenian occupation
- 27.12.2016Russia believes Moscow meeting helped cease April battle in Karabakh
- 27.12.2016Russia to do everything possible to intensify Karabakh conflict settlement process
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia’s illegal actions in occupied lands contrary to int’l law
- 12.01.2017EUSR Office backs calls for return of killed Azerbaijani soldier
- 12.01.2017OSCE chair, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 12.01.2017Russia reacts to Armenia’s reluctance to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Ombudsperson asks ICRC president for help retrieve Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijan welcomes efforts by ICRC, OSCE MG to return soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Russia opposes re-escalation of Karabakh conflict: lawmaker