Khojaly genocide commemorated in Los Angeles-based synagogue - PHOTOSESSION
Baku – APA. A commemorative event honoring the victims of the Khojaly massacre was held on Feb. 22, 2015 at the Los Angeles-based “Pico Shul” synagogue.
The Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles told APA that the joint event that took place at the consulate general was attended by numerous representatives of the Jewish community as well as those of other communities.
Opening the event, the Founder of the Pico Shul synagogue Rabbi Yonah Bookstein said the following: “Today we stand together as Jews and Azerbaijanis, to bear witness and to mourn the awful tragedy that befell the residents of Khojaly 23 years ago. We are grateful for the friendship of the Republic of Azerbaijan, both with the State of Israel and Jewish communities across the world. I pray that our friendship continues to grow and deepen, bringing peace and prosperity to our peoples.”
Consul General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev thanked the “Pico Shul” synagogue and the Jewish community for sharing the pain of the Azerbaijani people. He noted that this commemoration was historic, because it was the first Khojaly remembrance event at a Jewish synagogue in the U.S. The Consul General highlighted the strong bonds of centuries-old friendship between the Azerbaijani and Jewish people. He mentioned that when over the centuries Jews were persecuted in surrounding regions, they found safe heaven in Azerbaijan. Aghayev also highlighted the great outcomes achieved in terms of the recognition of the Khojaly massacre by the world community and mentioned in this regard the “Justice for Khojaly” campaign led by Mrs. Leyla Aliyeva.
The survivor of the Khojaly massacre Anar Usubov shared his painful memories of that cold night. He noted that as a result of this massacre he not only lost dozens of his family members and relatives, but also his entire childhood and youth.
Speaking afterwards, the member of the “Pico Shul” community and a grand-child of a Holocaust survivor Emily Pflaster said: “The beautiful friendship between Azerbaijan and Jewish communities is the most important template for peace that exists today. We must create awareness, both of the intense pain suffered by the victims of Khojaly, and the still occupied 20% of Azerbaijani territory by violent Armenian forces, those same forces that deny the massacre took place. As Jews, we know the consequences of persecution and the denial that it ever happened. We are honored to support our friend, Azerbaijan, in creating a lasting recognition and healing for their tragedies and their country. This is the least we can do for our friends. ”
Following the remarks, the attendees watched a video testimony by Mrs Durdane Aghayeva, another survivor of the massacre. In the video Mrs Aghayeva speaks about the torture and humiliation she had to undergo in the Armenian captivity, when she was just 20 years old. The video testimony was prepared by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles.
The attendees were also treated to the performance of Holocaust-related songs by a famous Jewish violinist Leah Jacobson and acquainted themselves with a photo exhibition dedicated to the massacre.
The event ended with a prayer by Rabbi Yonah honoring all innocent victims of the Khojaly massacre.
It should be mentioned that some members of the Armenian lobby, who continue to deny the Khojaly massacre, painted various insulting graffiti on the outside walls of the Pico Shul synagogue on the eve of the commemoration.
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 23.02.2015French Senate hold conference entitled "The Nagorno Karabakh conflict: the main challenges and tragic consequences for security and stability in the Caucasus" - PHOTO
- 23.02.2015Rally on 23rd anniversary of Khojaly genocide held in Vienna - PHOTO
- 24.02.2015The US State Department calls the Armenian side to return two Azerbaijani hostages
- 23.02.2015Buses, trams and trolleybuses are moving with "Justice for Khojaly" slogans in Milan - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015Presentation of book on Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict held in Argentina - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015UC Berkeley learns truth about Khojaly Genocide - PHOTOSESSION
Top news of the day