Khojaly genocide commemorated in Los Angeles-based synagogue - PHOTOSESSION
Baku – APA. A commemorative event honoring the victims of the Khojaly massacre was held on Feb. 22, 2015 at the Los Angeles-based “Pico Shul” synagogue.
The Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles told APA that the joint event that took place at the consulate general was attended by numerous representatives of the Jewish community as well as those of other communities.
Opening the event, the Founder of the Pico Shul synagogue Rabbi Yonah Bookstein said the following: “Today we stand together as Jews and Azerbaijanis, to bear witness and to mourn the awful tragedy that befell the residents of Khojaly 23 years ago. We are grateful for the friendship of the Republic of Azerbaijan, both with the State of Israel and Jewish communities across the world. I pray that our friendship continues to grow and deepen, bringing peace and prosperity to our peoples.”
Consul General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev thanked the “Pico Shul” synagogue and the Jewish community for sharing the pain of the Azerbaijani people. He noted that this commemoration was historic, because it was the first Khojaly remembrance event at a Jewish synagogue in the U.S. The Consul General highlighted the strong bonds of centuries-old friendship between the Azerbaijani and Jewish people. He mentioned that when over the centuries Jews were persecuted in surrounding regions, they found safe heaven in Azerbaijan. Aghayev also highlighted the great outcomes achieved in terms of the recognition of the Khojaly massacre by the world community and mentioned in this regard the “Justice for Khojaly” campaign led by Mrs. Leyla Aliyeva.
The survivor of the Khojaly massacre Anar Usubov shared his painful memories of that cold night. He noted that as a result of this massacre he not only lost dozens of his family members and relatives, but also his entire childhood and youth.
Speaking afterwards, the member of the “Pico Shul” community and a grand-child of a Holocaust survivor Emily Pflaster said: “The beautiful friendship between Azerbaijan and Jewish communities is the most important template for peace that exists today. We must create awareness, both of the intense pain suffered by the victims of Khojaly, and the still occupied 20% of Azerbaijani territory by violent Armenian forces, those same forces that deny the massacre took place. As Jews, we know the consequences of persecution and the denial that it ever happened. We are honored to support our friend, Azerbaijan, in creating a lasting recognition and healing for their tragedies and their country. This is the least we can do for our friends. ”
Following the remarks, the attendees watched a video testimony by Mrs Durdane Aghayeva, another survivor of the massacre. In the video Mrs Aghayeva speaks about the torture and humiliation she had to undergo in the Armenian captivity, when she was just 20 years old. The video testimony was prepared by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles.
The attendees were also treated to the performance of Holocaust-related songs by a famous Jewish violinist Leah Jacobson and acquainted themselves with a photo exhibition dedicated to the massacre.
The event ended with a prayer by Rabbi Yonah honoring all innocent victims of the Khojaly massacre.
It should be mentioned that some members of the Armenian lobby, who continue to deny the Khojaly massacre, painted various insulting graffiti on the outside walls of the Pico Shul synagogue on the eve of the commemoration.
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 21.12.2017Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017NATO hopes for positive change in Karabakh peace process, Gottemoeller says
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 23.02.2015French Senate hold conference entitled "The Nagorno Karabakh conflict: the main challenges and tragic consequences for security and stability in the Caucasus" - PHOTO
- 23.02.2015Rally on 23rd anniversary of Khojaly genocide held in Vienna - PHOTO
- 24.02.2015The US State Department calls the Armenian side to return two Azerbaijani hostages
- 23.02.2015Buses, trams and trolleybuses are moving with "Justice for Khojaly" slogans in Milan - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015Presentation of book on Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict held in Argentina - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015UC Berkeley learns truth about Khojaly Genocide - PHOTOSESSION
Top news of the day