Khojaly genocide commemorated in Los Angeles-based synagogue - PHOTOSESSION
Baku – APA. A commemorative event honoring the victims of the Khojaly massacre was held on Feb. 22, 2015 at the Los Angeles-based “Pico Shul” synagogue.
The Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles told APA that the joint event that took place at the consulate general was attended by numerous representatives of the Jewish community as well as those of other communities.
Opening the event, the Founder of the Pico Shul synagogue Rabbi Yonah Bookstein said the following: “Today we stand together as Jews and Azerbaijanis, to bear witness and to mourn the awful tragedy that befell the residents of Khojaly 23 years ago. We are grateful for the friendship of the Republic of Azerbaijan, both with the State of Israel and Jewish communities across the world. I pray that our friendship continues to grow and deepen, bringing peace and prosperity to our peoples.”
Consul General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev thanked the “Pico Shul” synagogue and the Jewish community for sharing the pain of the Azerbaijani people. He noted that this commemoration was historic, because it was the first Khojaly remembrance event at a Jewish synagogue in the U.S. The Consul General highlighted the strong bonds of centuries-old friendship between the Azerbaijani and Jewish people. He mentioned that when over the centuries Jews were persecuted in surrounding regions, they found safe heaven in Azerbaijan. Aghayev also highlighted the great outcomes achieved in terms of the recognition of the Khojaly massacre by the world community and mentioned in this regard the “Justice for Khojaly” campaign led by Mrs. Leyla Aliyeva.
The survivor of the Khojaly massacre Anar Usubov shared his painful memories of that cold night. He noted that as a result of this massacre he not only lost dozens of his family members and relatives, but also his entire childhood and youth.
Speaking afterwards, the member of the “Pico Shul” community and a grand-child of a Holocaust survivor Emily Pflaster said: “The beautiful friendship between Azerbaijan and Jewish communities is the most important template for peace that exists today. We must create awareness, both of the intense pain suffered by the victims of Khojaly, and the still occupied 20% of Azerbaijani territory by violent Armenian forces, those same forces that deny the massacre took place. As Jews, we know the consequences of persecution and the denial that it ever happened. We are honored to support our friend, Azerbaijan, in creating a lasting recognition and healing for their tragedies and their country. This is the least we can do for our friends. ”
Following the remarks, the attendees watched a video testimony by Mrs Durdane Aghayeva, another survivor of the massacre. In the video Mrs Aghayeva speaks about the torture and humiliation she had to undergo in the Armenian captivity, when she was just 20 years old. The video testimony was prepared by the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles.
The attendees were also treated to the performance of Holocaust-related songs by a famous Jewish violinist Leah Jacobson and acquainted themselves with a photo exhibition dedicated to the massacre.
The event ended with a prayer by Rabbi Yonah honoring all innocent victims of the Khojaly massacre.
It should be mentioned that some members of the Armenian lobby, who continue to deny the Khojaly massacre, painted various insulting graffiti on the outside walls of the Pico Shul synagogue on the eve of the commemoration.
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2015French Senate hold conference entitled "The Nagorno Karabakh conflict: the main challenges and tragic consequences for security and stability in the Caucasus" - PHOTO
- 23.02.2015Rally on 23rd anniversary of Khojaly genocide held in Vienna - PHOTO
- 24.02.2015The US State Department calls the Armenian side to return two Azerbaijani hostages
- 23.02.2015Buses, trams and trolleybuses are moving with "Justice for Khojaly" slogans in Milan - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015Presentation of book on Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict held in Argentina - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.02.2015UC Berkeley learns truth about Khojaly Genocide - PHOTOSESSION
Top news of the day