Italian Senator proposes to recognize Khojaly genocide
Chairman of the Italy-Azerbaijan interparliamentary friendship group, Senator Sergio Divina, as well as Senators Maria Rizzotti and Hans Berger addressed the Senate on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, APA reports.
Senator Sergio Divina said that the Armenian side is trying to present what happened on February 26, 1992 as a military operation, but more than 600 civilians, including more than 100 women, more than 150 children and elderly people were killed at that time. “War is not waged against civilians, women, children and old people. People being unaware of the tragedy, comprehend it as part of the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. UN Security Council’s four resolutions on the conflict recognize Azerbaijan's sovereignty over these territories. The ethnic cleansing was carried out there in the last 25 years. More than one million Azerbaijanis were forcibly expelled from these territories, deprived of their right of living in their native lands and became IDPs settled in different parts of the country. The Caucasus region is relatively far from us, so the European media pays little attention to there, doesn’t disseminate accurate information about the situation there and conducts propaganda to meet someone's interests,” he added.
Senator Maria Rizzotti noted that it is difficult for people living in quiet environment of Rome to understand atrocities committed against Khojaly victims and their spiritual upheaval. “Survivors of the Khojaly genocide are still haunted by bitter memories. 20 per cent of Azerbaijani lands, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts have been under occupation of the Armenian forces for more than 20 years. As a result of aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan, 20,000 Azerbaijani citizens have been killed and 1 million refugees and internally displaced persons were resettled in Azerbaijan. The United Nations Security Council has adopted four resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 which require unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijani territories and return of the refugees to their homes. Moreover, the UN General Assembly, Council of Europe, the European Union and the European Parliament, the OSCE, NATO and other international organizations have also adopted numerous documents of this type. But what we are still waiting for? Therefore, I urge the Italian Senate and government to recognize the Khojaly Genocide, accuse the perpetrators of the genocide which constitute the political and military leadership of Armenia, and give a political and legal assessment to the Khojaly genocide to provide moral support to the victims of the genocide. Also, I propose that the Khojaly genocide should be marked as the day of commemoration in the Senate every year on February 26,” she said.
Senator Hangs Berger said that the Italian public must be informed about this tragedy and the Senate must give a right assessment to it for prevention of such tragedies in the future. “Unfortunately, dark pages of history include brutal and tragic events which remained out of the public eye. One of them is the Khojaly genocide committed in Azerbaijan. I think I owe to call on all no to forget this genocide. I urge the world community to force Armenia to give up its position of denying the genocide and aggressive policy against Azerbaijan. This is a step arising from our responsibility to ensure human rights and peace in the region”, he said.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 148 times
- 24.06.2017Erdogan: "Turkey and Azerbaijan are on the same position on Karabakh issue"
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani army adequately retaliated against enemy a week ago – President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017EU: Ceasefire violations indicate status quo in Karabak conflict ‘unsustainable’
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 25.02.2017Armenian history will always carry stigma of genocide – top official
- 25.02.2017Book titled “Eight days in Armenian prison” by Khojaly genocide witness presented in Istanbul
- 25.02.2017Tension on frontline is continuation of Armenia’s political provocation such as “referendum” – FM
- 25.02.2017Ali Ahmadov: Azerbaijani army will give adequate response to Armenian provocations
- 25.02.2017Turkish ambassador: Armenians accusing us of genocide, try to hide traces of crimes they committed
- 25.02.2017Carey Cavanaugh: "The United States should cooperate with Russia in the settlement of Nagorno Karabakh problem"