Italian Senator proposes to recognize Khojaly genocide
Chairman of the Italy-Azerbaijan interparliamentary friendship group, Senator Sergio Divina, as well as Senators Maria Rizzotti and Hans Berger addressed the Senate on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, APA reports.
Senator Sergio Divina said that the Armenian side is trying to present what happened on February 26, 1992 as a military operation, but more than 600 civilians, including more than 100 women, more than 150 children and elderly people were killed at that time. “War is not waged against civilians, women, children and old people. People being unaware of the tragedy, comprehend it as part of the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. UN Security Council’s four resolutions on the conflict recognize Azerbaijan's sovereignty over these territories. The ethnic cleansing was carried out there in the last 25 years. More than one million Azerbaijanis were forcibly expelled from these territories, deprived of their right of living in their native lands and became IDPs settled in different parts of the country. The Caucasus region is relatively far from us, so the European media pays little attention to there, doesn’t disseminate accurate information about the situation there and conducts propaganda to meet someone's interests,” he added.
Senator Maria Rizzotti noted that it is difficult for people living in quiet environment of Rome to understand atrocities committed against Khojaly victims and their spiritual upheaval. “Survivors of the Khojaly genocide are still haunted by bitter memories. 20 per cent of Azerbaijani lands, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts have been under occupation of the Armenian forces for more than 20 years. As a result of aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan, 20,000 Azerbaijani citizens have been killed and 1 million refugees and internally displaced persons were resettled in Azerbaijan. The United Nations Security Council has adopted four resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 which require unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijani territories and return of the refugees to their homes. Moreover, the UN General Assembly, Council of Europe, the European Union and the European Parliament, the OSCE, NATO and other international organizations have also adopted numerous documents of this type. But what we are still waiting for? Therefore, I urge the Italian Senate and government to recognize the Khojaly Genocide, accuse the perpetrators of the genocide which constitute the political and military leadership of Armenia, and give a political and legal assessment to the Khojaly genocide to provide moral support to the victims of the genocide. Also, I propose that the Khojaly genocide should be marked as the day of commemoration in the Senate every year on February 26,” she said.
Senator Hangs Berger said that the Italian public must be informed about this tragedy and the Senate must give a right assessment to it for prevention of such tragedies in the future. “Unfortunately, dark pages of history include brutal and tragic events which remained out of the public eye. One of them is the Khojaly genocide committed in Azerbaijan. I think I owe to call on all no to forget this genocide. I urge the world community to force Armenia to give up its position of denying the genocide and aggressive policy against Azerbaijan. This is a step arising from our responsibility to ensure human rights and peace in the region”, he said.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 25.02.2017Armenian history will always carry stigma of genocide – top official
- 25.02.2017Book titled “Eight days in Armenian prison” by Khojaly genocide witness presented in Istanbul
- 25.02.2017Tension on frontline is continuation of Armenia’s political provocation such as “referendum” – FM
- 25.02.2017Ali Ahmadov: Azerbaijani army will give adequate response to Armenian provocations
- 25.02.2017Turkish ambassador: Armenians accusing us of genocide, try to hide traces of crimes they committed
- 25.02.2017Carey Cavanaugh: "The United States should cooperate with Russia in the settlement of Nagorno Karabakh problem"