Italian senator condemns Armenians’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians
Italian senator from Forza Italia party, member of the Senate Commission for Children and Adolescents Maria Rizzotti has sharply condemned the Armenian military units’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians in Alkhanli village in Fizuli district, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Italy told APA.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Speaking at a Senate session, she said that in a time when the humankind faces daily challenges, Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fizuli district has been shelled from mortars and grenade launchers. “The people seeking only peace and prosperity were subjected to terrorism. Armenian armed forces, ignoring the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs' visit to the region and their calls for a change of the status quo through substantial and serious negotiations, killed an elderly woman and her two-year-old granddaughter”, Maria Rizzotti said.
The senator emphasized that such attacks violate international humanitarian law and human rights, especially 1949 Geneva Convention 1. “They are also detrimental to the protection of the rights of the child and the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms,” she said.
The Italian senator added that there are many international documents, including the four resolutions of the UN Security Council, demanding the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their lands, but all these documents are ignored by Armenia and Yerevan’s goal is to maintain the status quo through systematic provocations and sabotages, like the latest incident at the front line.
Senator Rizzotti noted in her speech that the settlement of the conflict can not be considered separately from the issue of withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the presence of the Armenian armed forces in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan is the biggest obstacle to resolving the conflict.
She said that Armenia should take lessons from the events of April 2016 and accept the necessity of changing the status quo, and stop deceiving the international community and evading from the talks. The senator added that Armenia should take a constructive position in order to achieve long-term peace.
The senator summed up his speech with the following conclusions.
"This violence must come to an end. How much blood should be shed for this massacre to end? Considering it will chair the OSCE next year, the Italian government should spare no efforts to resolve this horrific conflict in a short time.”
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017ICRC expresses readiness to facilitate handover of Azerbaijani soldier
- 24.11.2017‘Justice for Khojaly!’ int’l campaign presented in Morocco
- 24.11.2017State Committee: 265 Azerbaijani women went missing during Karabakh conflict
- 24.11.2017“14 Azerbaijani children killed in Armenian terror during ceasefire”
- 23.11.2017Armenian armed forces hold next exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.11.2017EU official: Countries affected by conflicts should benefit from EU countries’ experience
- 23.11.2017Zakharova comments on availability of ‘Putin Plan’ for Karabakh settlement
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia wants to keep status-quo for as long as possible
- 23.11.2017Stoltenberg: No military solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.11.2017EU supports Minsk Group co-chairs’ efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement, says commissioner
- 23.11.2017Zabelin: Azerbaijan has right to reclaim Karabakh
- 23.11.2017Patriarch Kirill: Religious leaders’ co-op aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement is ‘an example of peacekeeping mission’
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 22.11.2017Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM
- 20.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement should be tripled
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: UNSC resolutions to remain in force until implementation
- 20.11.2017Russia will work on peaceful solution acceptable to Karabakh conflict parties – Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Karabakh conflict is 'unacceptable and unstable'
- 20.11.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite provocations of Armenia and its patrons, Azerbaijan doesn’t step back from ‘peace course’
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Deadlock in US-Russia ties doesn’t affect cooperation on Karabakh settlement
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will avenge child victims of Armenian armed provocations
- 20.11.201726 years pass since Armenia shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 07.07.2017OSCE PA adopts resolution with amendments proposed by Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017Group of foreign students in Azerbaijan adopts appeal regarding provocation against civilians in Fuzuli district
- 07.07.2017Pakistan condemns targeting of Azerbaijani civilians by Armenian armed forces
- 07.07.2017UN calls for de-escalation of tensions in Karabakh conflict zone