Italian senator condemns Armenians’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians
Italian senator from Forza Italia party, member of the Senate Commission for Children and Adolescents Maria Rizzotti has sharply condemned the Armenian military units’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians in Alkhanli village in Fizuli district, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Italy told APA.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Speaking at a Senate session, she said that in a time when the humankind faces daily challenges, Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fizuli district has been shelled from mortars and grenade launchers. “The people seeking only peace and prosperity were subjected to terrorism. Armenian armed forces, ignoring the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs' visit to the region and their calls for a change of the status quo through substantial and serious negotiations, killed an elderly woman and her two-year-old granddaughter”, Maria Rizzotti said.
The senator emphasized that such attacks violate international humanitarian law and human rights, especially 1949 Geneva Convention 1. “They are also detrimental to the protection of the rights of the child and the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms,” she said.
The Italian senator added that there are many international documents, including the four resolutions of the UN Security Council, demanding the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their lands, but all these documents are ignored by Armenia and Yerevan’s goal is to maintain the status quo through systematic provocations and sabotages, like the latest incident at the front line.
Senator Rizzotti noted in her speech that the settlement of the conflict can not be considered separately from the issue of withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the presence of the Armenian armed forces in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan is the biggest obstacle to resolving the conflict.
She said that Armenia should take lessons from the events of April 2016 and accept the necessity of changing the status quo, and stop deceiving the international community and evading from the talks. The senator added that Armenia should take a constructive position in order to achieve long-term peace.
The senator summed up his speech with the following conclusions.
"This violence must come to an end. How much blood should be shed for this massacre to end? Considering it will chair the OSCE next year, the Italian government should spare no efforts to resolve this horrific conflict in a short time.”
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 07.07.2017OSCE PA adopts resolution with amendments proposed by Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017Group of foreign students in Azerbaijan adopts appeal regarding provocation against civilians in Fuzuli district
- 07.07.2017Pakistan condemns targeting of Azerbaijani civilians by Armenian armed forces
- 07.07.2017UN calls for de-escalation of tensions in Karabakh conflict zone