Italian senator condemns Armenians’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians
Italian senator from Forza Italia party, member of the Senate Commission for Children and Adolescents Maria Rizzotti has sharply condemned the Armenian military units’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians in Alkhanli village in Fizuli district, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Italy told APA.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Speaking at a Senate session, she said that in a time when the humankind faces daily challenges, Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fizuli district has been shelled from mortars and grenade launchers. “The people seeking only peace and prosperity were subjected to terrorism. Armenian armed forces, ignoring the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs' visit to the region and their calls for a change of the status quo through substantial and serious negotiations, killed an elderly woman and her two-year-old granddaughter”, Maria Rizzotti said.
The senator emphasized that such attacks violate international humanitarian law and human rights, especially 1949 Geneva Convention 1. “They are also detrimental to the protection of the rights of the child and the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms,” she said.
The Italian senator added that there are many international documents, including the four resolutions of the UN Security Council, demanding the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their lands, but all these documents are ignored by Armenia and Yerevan’s goal is to maintain the status quo through systematic provocations and sabotages, like the latest incident at the front line.
Senator Rizzotti noted in her speech that the settlement of the conflict can not be considered separately from the issue of withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the presence of the Armenian armed forces in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan is the biggest obstacle to resolving the conflict.
She said that Armenia should take lessons from the events of April 2016 and accept the necessity of changing the status quo, and stop deceiving the international community and evading from the talks. The senator added that Armenia should take a constructive position in order to achieve long-term peace.
The senator summed up his speech with the following conclusions.
"This violence must come to an end. How much blood should be shed for this massacre to end? Considering it will chair the OSCE next year, the Italian government should spare no efforts to resolve this horrific conflict in a short time.”
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 07.07.2017OSCE PA adopts resolution with amendments proposed by Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017Group of foreign students in Azerbaijan adopts appeal regarding provocation against civilians in Fuzuli district
- 07.07.2017Pakistan condemns targeting of Azerbaijani civilians by Armenian armed forces
- 07.07.2017UN calls for de-escalation of tensions in Karabakh conflict zone