Italian senator condemns Armenians’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians
Italian senator from Forza Italia party, member of the Senate Commission for Children and Adolescents Maria Rizzotti has sharply condemned the Armenian military units’ latest crime against Azerbaijani civilians in Alkhanli village in Fizuli district, the Azerbaijani Embassy in Italy told APA.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Speaking at a Senate session, she said that in a time when the humankind faces daily challenges, Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fizuli district has been shelled from mortars and grenade launchers. “The people seeking only peace and prosperity were subjected to terrorism. Armenian armed forces, ignoring the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs' visit to the region and their calls for a change of the status quo through substantial and serious negotiations, killed an elderly woman and her two-year-old granddaughter”, Maria Rizzotti said.
The senator emphasized that such attacks violate international humanitarian law and human rights, especially 1949 Geneva Convention 1. “They are also detrimental to the protection of the rights of the child and the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms,” she said.
The Italian senator added that there are many international documents, including the four resolutions of the UN Security Council, demanding the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their lands, but all these documents are ignored by Armenia and Yerevan’s goal is to maintain the status quo through systematic provocations and sabotages, like the latest incident at the front line.
Senator Rizzotti noted in her speech that the settlement of the conflict can not be considered separately from the issue of withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the presence of the Armenian armed forces in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan is the biggest obstacle to resolving the conflict.
She said that Armenia should take lessons from the events of April 2016 and accept the necessity of changing the status quo, and stop deceiving the international community and evading from the talks. The senator added that Armenia should take a constructive position in order to achieve long-term peace.
The senator summed up his speech with the following conclusions.
"This violence must come to an end. How much blood should be shed for this massacre to end? Considering it will chair the OSCE next year, the Italian government should spare no efforts to resolve this horrific conflict in a short time.”
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 07.07.2017OSCE PA adopts resolution with amendments proposed by Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017Group of foreign students in Azerbaijan adopts appeal regarding provocation against civilians in Fuzuli district
- 07.07.2017Pakistan condemns targeting of Azerbaijani civilians by Armenian armed forces
- 07.07.2017UN calls for de-escalation of tensions in Karabakh conflict zone