Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
An international conference, entitled “The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, origins, peacemaking and the role of civil society” got underway in Baku March 14.
Addressing the event, Fuad Akhundov, an official at the social and political issues department of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration, said Azerbaijan has 20 percent of its territory under occupation and noted that the time has come to liberate the lands.
“Armenians are a wise nation. Pieces of information circulating on the Internet show that they’re beginning to take a rational approach. This event today is being attended by Armenian activists. I’m giving them my special thanks,” he said.
Maksim Shevchenko, the editor-in-chief of the Russian internet portal “Caucasus Policy” and a member of the Public Chamber under the President of Russia, stressed that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can be resolved only through the development of the Russia-Turkey-Iran format.
Armenian publicist, public figure Vahe Avetyan touched on the Khojaly massacre, saying an act of genocide is a shameful fact for a people.
“During my visit to Baku in 2016, I commemorated the victims of the Khojaly genocide, which wasn’t possibly approved of by all in Armenia. However, there are numerous Armenian public figures and citizens supporting me,” he said.
Avetyan noted that in order for Armenian to be able to express their opinion without fear, they have to be freed from the concentration camp dating back to 25 years ago.
“A person may get crippled or killed for having uttered a word. After the conflict which has been lasting for more than two decades, we were finally able to visit the memorial to the Khojaly victims. The purpose of my coming here is to put an end to the stereotype of murderous Armenian created by Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan. I’m a writer, not a historian. We must put aside the national hostilities and open a new page,” he added.
Artur Aghajanov, a Ukrainian researcher of Armenian origin, said Nagorno-Karabakh has for centuries been remaining a land of various wars and conflicts.
“Karabakh has also been a part of the ancient Caucasian Albania. This ancient state had its own culture, history, architecture, and Albanian Autocephalous Church, which was one of the oldest churches in the Christian world. However, this ancient heritage is either destroyed or introduced as Armenian culture and history,” he said.
According to the researcher, it has been already two years that Armenian refugees (representatives of Hay people) from Turkey, Iran and the Middle East have been “Armenizing” ancient Karabakh lands.
“During this period, ancient German Autocephalous Church was destroyed with the support of Etchmiadzin Cathedral. Due to destruction of patriarchal thrones of Gandzasar and Amaras monasteries and Albanian Church, numerous peoples, their culture, temples, books and heritage in Karabakh and in the South Caucasus were captured by the Etchmiadzin Cathedral. Some of these people, including Kipchak Turks, Udins, Tats, Kurds, and others accepted Armenian Gregorian faith. However, they had nothing to do with Armenian people or the Etchmiadzin Cathedral. They were forced to do it. All who said Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan and the history of ancient Caucasian Albania, have faced danger to their lives. However, we shouldn’t avoid saying the truth. We are ready to make our contribution in the struggle to restore the Albanian Autocephalous Church. We were glad over hearing about the restoration of the Albanian church and worship in temples. In the near future, we will create an organization to which the people, who are not indifferent to the fate and history of Karabakh, can join,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 26.04.2018Moscow hopes for resumption of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 26.04.2018Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenia sends video message to his family
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 24.04.2018Andrew Schofer: U.S. continues to strongly support negotiated settlement to Karabakh conflict
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre
- 14.03.2017Russian political analyst calls for Khojaly Genocide recognition
- 14.03.2017Armenian-born researcher: Positive solution to Karabakh conflict is near