Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
International organizations support Azerbaijan’s fair position on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said during his inauguration ceremony on April 18, APA reports.
“Sufficient as an example is the fact that over the past 15 years, some of the most prestigious organizations have approved our proposal on the conflict and reached key resolutions which say that the conflict must be settled within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” the head of state said.
Noting that there is a legal framework for the settlement of the conflict, the head of state said Azerbaijan has exposed Armenia's aggressive policy over the last 15 years, and Armenia is isolated from many regional projects thanks to Azerbaijan's efforts.
"The UN Security Council resolutions are the main legal framework for the settlement of the conflict. We have been able to prove to the world that we are right. Although Armenian lobby organizations have campaigned against Azerbaijan, they have not been able to influence international decisions. We have gained political and diplomatic successes,” President Aliyev said.
The head of state stressed that no country recognizes the so-called regime created in Nagorno-Karabakh.
“International organizations and neighbor countries condemned the referendum held there. We would like the world community to know that not only Karabakh, but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land. There is enough evidence for this. We have been subjected to deportation on several occasions and that is what we must convey to the world,” he added.
The president said that the Azerbaijani state will continue to pursue its current policy and will achieve its target.
“This conflict should only be resolved within the territorial integrity of our country. There is no other way. We will never allow a second Armenian state to be established. Our principled position with regard to the resolution of this conflict is supported by the Azerbaijani people. Our strength will grow further in the years to come,” he noted.
Ilham Aliyev went on to say that in many cases the norms of international law do not work, meaning whoever is stronger is considered to be just.
"We are well aware of the fact that the factor of strength has gained significance. This is a reality that we must reckon with, which once again shows that our army building policy is the only right policy,” the head of state said.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan