Hikmet Hajiyev: “The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs assessed the events in Alkhanly as provocations in the latest statement”
In the statement the Co-Chairs underline that their countries are extremely concerned with the ceasefire violations that occurred on 4 July: “We consider this serious incident as a provocative action that undermines peace efforts and could provoke a breakdown in the forthcoming negotiations”.
The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs remind the sides of their obligations under the Geneva Conventions to refrain from any hostile action that could lead to unacceptable civilian casualties. “We appeal the parties to take immediate measures to defuse the situation and strictly observe the 1994/1995 ceasefire agreement”
At the end of the statement is noted that: “The Russian Federation, France and United States stress the necessity to resume as soon as possible negotiations on a peaceful settlement of the conflict, as the only way to bring peace, prosperity and genuine reconciliation to all the people of the region”.
The head of the Foreign Ministry's press service, Hikmet Hajiyev, commented on the next statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs:
“The second statement of the co-chairs in connection with the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of the Fuzuli region clearly and specifically indicates which party committed the provocation and who violated the Geneva Conventions and the negotiation process”.
H. Hajiyev noted that in the last statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of Fizuli district were assessed as provocations: "Sharing this assessment of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, we note the death of a young girl and her grandmother, as well as the severe injury of another woman in the shelling of the village Alkhanli is a provocation by Armenia, which was designed to undermine the negotiation process and the efforts of the co-chairs.
The investigation conducted and the facts presented fully proved that civilians and objects in the village of Alkhanli were deliberately chosen by the Armenian army as targets. To avoid responsibility for the killing of civilians in the village of Alkhanli, Armenia conducts false propaganda about the alleged existence of firing points in the village. In the village of Alkhanli, there were no firing points or military posts.
Accredited in Azerbaijan military attachés of the United States, China, Pakistan, Turkey, Russia, the Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Korea, Georgia and Ukraine, as well as the diplomat of the embassy of Germany and representatives of foreign media during the trip to Alkhanli on July 6 witnessed this fact.
The bloody ethnic cleansing committed by Armenia against the civilian Azerbaijani population in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, numerous war crimes against civilians and military personnel, the Khojaly genocide, massive shelling of more than 32 settlements along the front line in April 2016, the recent deeds in the village of Alkhanli confirm the rude And the systematic violation by Armenia of the commitments undertaken in the framework of the Geneva Conventions. From this perspective, we support the calls of the Co-Chairs to comply with the obligations on the basis of the Geneva Conventions, the non-use of violent actions, resulting in casualties among civilians.
With regard to calls for the importance of adherence to the 1994-1995 armistice agreements, it should be noted that Armenia, having abused the ceasefire regime for more than 25 years, is trying to consolidate the occupation of the territories of Azerbaijan and maintain the unacceptable status quo. The truce was intended to create conditions for a political settlement of the conflict, as was noted in the Budapest Document of the OSCE of 1994, as well as in the documents on the truce. Unfortunately, the Armenian side has prevented this process through provocations and under various pretexts over the past period.
It should also be noted that in the documents on the truce 1994-1995 years. The main element was also the withdrawal of the time schedule for the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of forced migrants to the rugged regions.
Azerbaijan has repeatedly stated that the presence of Armenian troops in the occupied territories is the main reason for the escalation of tension and the main obstacle to a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
To achieve progress in resolving the conflict and ensuring sustainable peace and stability in the region, the Armenian Armed Forces must be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with the norms of international law and the requirements of the well-known UN Security Council resolutions.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 114 times
- 24.02.2018Exhibition of "The voice of Karabakh" paintings and literary-artistic event held
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani FM and General Prosecutor’s Office: Armenia bears responsibility for Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 23.02.2018U.S. has always been committed to Karabakh conflict settlement process – envoy
- 23.02.2018What happened in Khojaly is terrible, U.S envoy says
- 23.02.2018European Parliament preparing statement on Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018US congressman makes a statement in connection with the anniversary of the 20 January and Khojaly tragedy
- 22.02.2018Vigenin proposes abolishing position of OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus
- 22.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Vigenin: Int’l community has switched its ambition on Nagorno-Karabakh to simply avoiding war, which must be reversed
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special representative criticizes Minsk Group co-chairs
- 22.02.2018Baku reacts to Armenian foreign minister’s statement
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says int’l tribunal needed to prosecute perpetrators of crimes in Khojaly and Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says Sumgayit events were ‘deliberate provocation’
- 21.02.2018U.S. continuing its role as OSCE MG co-chair shows its commitment to resolving Karabakh conflict, envoy says
- 21.02.2018OSCE can increase frequency of monitoring exercises in front line areas
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan puts EAFJD head on Interpol wanted list for illegally visiting its occupied lands
- 21.02.2018U.S. doing its utmost to help settle Karabakh conflict – envoy
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 07.07.2017German MP makes statement on Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan's Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani ambassador: Armenia's shelling of Alkhanli village is ‘act of vandalism and terrorism’
- 07.07.2017US bishop sends letter to Armenian president over killing of two-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament strictly condemned Armenian war crime
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament: Armenian military crime is a symbol of cowardice
- 07.07.2017OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue second statement on latest tension in frontline