Hikmet Hajiyev: “The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs assessed the events in Alkhanly as provocations in the latest statement”
In the statement the Co-Chairs underline that their countries are extremely concerned with the ceasefire violations that occurred on 4 July: “We consider this serious incident as a provocative action that undermines peace efforts and could provoke a breakdown in the forthcoming negotiations”.
The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs remind the sides of their obligations under the Geneva Conventions to refrain from any hostile action that could lead to unacceptable civilian casualties. “We appeal the parties to take immediate measures to defuse the situation and strictly observe the 1994/1995 ceasefire agreement”
At the end of the statement is noted that: “The Russian Federation, France and United States stress the necessity to resume as soon as possible negotiations on a peaceful settlement of the conflict, as the only way to bring peace, prosperity and genuine reconciliation to all the people of the region”.
The head of the Foreign Ministry's press service, Hikmet Hajiyev, commented on the next statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs:
“The second statement of the co-chairs in connection with the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of the Fuzuli region clearly and specifically indicates which party committed the provocation and who violated the Geneva Conventions and the negotiation process”.
H. Hajiyev noted that in the last statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of Fizuli district were assessed as provocations: "Sharing this assessment of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, we note the death of a young girl and her grandmother, as well as the severe injury of another woman in the shelling of the village Alkhanli is a provocation by Armenia, which was designed to undermine the negotiation process and the efforts of the co-chairs.
The investigation conducted and the facts presented fully proved that civilians and objects in the village of Alkhanli were deliberately chosen by the Armenian army as targets. To avoid responsibility for the killing of civilians in the village of Alkhanli, Armenia conducts false propaganda about the alleged existence of firing points in the village. In the village of Alkhanli, there were no firing points or military posts.
Accredited in Azerbaijan military attachés of the United States, China, Pakistan, Turkey, Russia, the Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Korea, Georgia and Ukraine, as well as the diplomat of the embassy of Germany and representatives of foreign media during the trip to Alkhanli on July 6 witnessed this fact.
The bloody ethnic cleansing committed by Armenia against the civilian Azerbaijani population in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, numerous war crimes against civilians and military personnel, the Khojaly genocide, massive shelling of more than 32 settlements along the front line in April 2016, the recent deeds in the village of Alkhanli confirm the rude And the systematic violation by Armenia of the commitments undertaken in the framework of the Geneva Conventions. From this perspective, we support the calls of the Co-Chairs to comply with the obligations on the basis of the Geneva Conventions, the non-use of violent actions, resulting in casualties among civilians.
With regard to calls for the importance of adherence to the 1994-1995 armistice agreements, it should be noted that Armenia, having abused the ceasefire regime for more than 25 years, is trying to consolidate the occupation of the territories of Azerbaijan and maintain the unacceptable status quo. The truce was intended to create conditions for a political settlement of the conflict, as was noted in the Budapest Document of the OSCE of 1994, as well as in the documents on the truce. Unfortunately, the Armenian side has prevented this process through provocations and under various pretexts over the past period.
It should also be noted that in the documents on the truce 1994-1995 years. The main element was also the withdrawal of the time schedule for the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of forced migrants to the rugged regions.
Azerbaijan has repeatedly stated that the presence of Armenian troops in the occupied territories is the main reason for the escalation of tension and the main obstacle to a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
To achieve progress in resolving the conflict and ensuring sustainable peace and stability in the region, the Armenian Armed Forces must be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with the norms of international law and the requirements of the well-known UN Security Council resolutions.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 07.07.2017German MP makes statement on Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan's Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani ambassador: Armenia's shelling of Alkhanli village is ‘act of vandalism and terrorism’
- 07.07.2017US bishop sends letter to Armenian president over killing of two-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament strictly condemned Armenian war crime
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament: Armenian military crime is a symbol of cowardice
- 07.07.2017OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue second statement on latest tension in frontline