Hikmet Hajiyev: “The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs assessed the events in Alkhanly as provocations in the latest statement”
In the statement the Co-Chairs underline that their countries are extremely concerned with the ceasefire violations that occurred on 4 July: “We consider this serious incident as a provocative action that undermines peace efforts and could provoke a breakdown in the forthcoming negotiations”.
The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs remind the sides of their obligations under the Geneva Conventions to refrain from any hostile action that could lead to unacceptable civilian casualties. “We appeal the parties to take immediate measures to defuse the situation and strictly observe the 1994/1995 ceasefire agreement”
At the end of the statement is noted that: “The Russian Federation, France and United States stress the necessity to resume as soon as possible negotiations on a peaceful settlement of the conflict, as the only way to bring peace, prosperity and genuine reconciliation to all the people of the region”.
The head of the Foreign Ministry's press service, Hikmet Hajiyev, commented on the next statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs:
“The second statement of the co-chairs in connection with the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of the Fuzuli region clearly and specifically indicates which party committed the provocation and who violated the Geneva Conventions and the negotiation process”.
H. Hajiyev noted that in the last statement of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs the events of July 4 in the village of Alkhanli of Fizuli district were assessed as provocations: "Sharing this assessment of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, we note the death of a young girl and her grandmother, as well as the severe injury of another woman in the shelling of the village Alkhanli is a provocation by Armenia, which was designed to undermine the negotiation process and the efforts of the co-chairs.
The investigation conducted and the facts presented fully proved that civilians and objects in the village of Alkhanli were deliberately chosen by the Armenian army as targets. To avoid responsibility for the killing of civilians in the village of Alkhanli, Armenia conducts false propaganda about the alleged existence of firing points in the village. In the village of Alkhanli, there were no firing points or military posts.
Accredited in Azerbaijan military attachés of the United States, China, Pakistan, Turkey, Russia, the Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Korea, Georgia and Ukraine, as well as the diplomat of the embassy of Germany and representatives of foreign media during the trip to Alkhanli on July 6 witnessed this fact.
The bloody ethnic cleansing committed by Armenia against the civilian Azerbaijani population in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, numerous war crimes against civilians and military personnel, the Khojaly genocide, massive shelling of more than 32 settlements along the front line in April 2016, the recent deeds in the village of Alkhanli confirm the rude And the systematic violation by Armenia of the commitments undertaken in the framework of the Geneva Conventions. From this perspective, we support the calls of the Co-Chairs to comply with the obligations on the basis of the Geneva Conventions, the non-use of violent actions, resulting in casualties among civilians.
With regard to calls for the importance of adherence to the 1994-1995 armistice agreements, it should be noted that Armenia, having abused the ceasefire regime for more than 25 years, is trying to consolidate the occupation of the territories of Azerbaijan and maintain the unacceptable status quo. The truce was intended to create conditions for a political settlement of the conflict, as was noted in the Budapest Document of the OSCE of 1994, as well as in the documents on the truce. Unfortunately, the Armenian side has prevented this process through provocations and under various pretexts over the past period.
It should also be noted that in the documents on the truce 1994-1995 years. The main element was also the withdrawal of the time schedule for the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of forced migrants to the rugged regions.
Azerbaijan has repeatedly stated that the presence of Armenian troops in the occupied territories is the main reason for the escalation of tension and the main obstacle to a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
To achieve progress in resolving the conflict and ensuring sustainable peace and stability in the region, the Armenian Armed Forces must be withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with the norms of international law and the requirements of the well-known UN Security Council resolutions.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 02.10.2017“Catalonia referendum was one of events that were huge support to Azerbaijan in respect of Karabakh problem”
- 07.07.2017German MP makes statement on Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan's Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Azerbaijani ambassador: Armenia's shelling of Alkhanli village is ‘act of vandalism and terrorism’
- 07.07.2017US bishop sends letter to Armenian president over killing of two-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament strictly condemned Armenian war crime
- 07.07.2017Members of the European Parliament: Armenian military crime is a symbol of cowardice
- 07.07.2017OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue second statement on latest tension in frontline