Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
Armenia’s use of water resources as a means of ecological terror and pressure is a policy that is being carried out at state level, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Wednesday.
Hajiyev noted that this policy is being applied in relation to the rivers flowing through Armenia to Azerbaijan, as well as water resources in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories, including the Sarsang water reservoir.
According to the spokesman, Armenia’s deliberate pollution of water resources flowing to Azerbaijan is another facet of the current problem.
He stressed that Armenia’s deputy ecology minister Erik Grigoryan’s statement about the halting of water resources joining the Aras River from Armenia in order to prevent water flow to Azerbaijan is proof of Armenia’s abuse of water resources as a means of ecological terror and threat.
“For this reason, Armenia is demonstratively refusing to join the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, also known as the Water Convention, in a bid to evade from civil behavior and obligations,” Hajiyev said. “Nevertheless, Armenia has obligations under the 1966 Helsinki and 2004 Berlin Rules on the uses of the waters of international rivers, the UN General Assembly's law on transboundary aquifers, the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly’s resolution on transboundary water basins in Europe, etc..”
Hajiyev recalled that in 2016 the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) passed a resolution, titled “The inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water.
“In the resolution, the PACE regarded Armenia’s policy regarding the border rivers and the Sarsang reservoir in the occupied Azerbaijani lands as ecological terror,” the spokesman said. “According to these documents, the right to use water is important for life and health, and unhindered access to water is a fundamental right, a source of life for each state and is of strategic importance.”
Azerbaijan constantly briefs relevant international organization about Armenia’s policy of “water terror”, Hajiyev said.
He added that the latest statement from the Armenian side will also be submitted for discussion in relevant international organizations.
Related news releases
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict