Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
Armenia’s use of water resources as a means of ecological terror and pressure is a policy that is being carried out at state level, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Wednesday.
Hajiyev noted that this policy is being applied in relation to the rivers flowing through Armenia to Azerbaijan, as well as water resources in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories, including the Sarsang water reservoir.
According to the spokesman, Armenia’s deliberate pollution of water resources flowing to Azerbaijan is another facet of the current problem.
He stressed that Armenia’s deputy ecology minister Erik Grigoryan’s statement about the halting of water resources joining the Aras River from Armenia in order to prevent water flow to Azerbaijan is proof of Armenia’s abuse of water resources as a means of ecological terror and threat.
“For this reason, Armenia is demonstratively refusing to join the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, also known as the Water Convention, in a bid to evade from civil behavior and obligations,” Hajiyev said. “Nevertheless, Armenia has obligations under the 1966 Helsinki and 2004 Berlin Rules on the uses of the waters of international rivers, the UN General Assembly's law on transboundary aquifers, the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly’s resolution on transboundary water basins in Europe, etc..”
Hajiyev recalled that in 2016 the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) passed a resolution, titled “The inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water.
“In the resolution, the PACE regarded Armenia’s policy regarding the border rivers and the Sarsang reservoir in the occupied Azerbaijani lands as ecological terror,” the spokesman said. “According to these documents, the right to use water is important for life and health, and unhindered access to water is a fundamental right, a source of life for each state and is of strategic importance.”
Azerbaijan constantly briefs relevant international organization about Armenia’s policy of “water terror”, Hajiyev said.
He added that the latest statement from the Armenian side will also be submitted for discussion in relevant international organizations.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict