Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
Armenia’s use of water resources as a means of ecological terror and pressure is a policy that is being carried out at state level, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Wednesday.
Hajiyev noted that this policy is being applied in relation to the rivers flowing through Armenia to Azerbaijan, as well as water resources in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories, including the Sarsang water reservoir.
According to the spokesman, Armenia’s deliberate pollution of water resources flowing to Azerbaijan is another facet of the current problem.
He stressed that Armenia’s deputy ecology minister Erik Grigoryan’s statement about the halting of water resources joining the Aras River from Armenia in order to prevent water flow to Azerbaijan is proof of Armenia’s abuse of water resources as a means of ecological terror and threat.
“For this reason, Armenia is demonstratively refusing to join the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, also known as the Water Convention, in a bid to evade from civil behavior and obligations,” Hajiyev said. “Nevertheless, Armenia has obligations under the 1966 Helsinki and 2004 Berlin Rules on the uses of the waters of international rivers, the UN General Assembly's law on transboundary aquifers, the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly’s resolution on transboundary water basins in Europe, etc..”
Hajiyev recalled that in 2016 the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) passed a resolution, titled “The inhabitants of frontier regions of Azerbaijan are deliberately deprived of water.
“In the resolution, the PACE regarded Armenia’s policy regarding the border rivers and the Sarsang reservoir in the occupied Azerbaijani lands as ecological terror,” the spokesman said. “According to these documents, the right to use water is important for life and health, and unhindered access to water is a fundamental right, a source of life for each state and is of strategic importance.”
Azerbaijan constantly briefs relevant international organization about Armenia’s policy of “water terror”, Hajiyev said.
He added that the latest statement from the Armenian side will also be submitted for discussion in relevant international organizations.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict