Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov addressed the tenth informal meeting of foreign ministers of the Eastern Partnership member countries in Minsk on Friday.
Mammadyarov called the year 2017 a turning point in the development of EU-Azerbaijan relations.
He recalled the Azerbaijani president’s visit to Brussels last year, which he said marked the beginning of negotiations between the EU and Azerbaijan on a new agreement.
Mammadyarov said the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway has opened up important opportunities in the context of cooperation with the EU in the field of transport and communications.
The top diplomat also recalled the opening of the Southern Gas Corridor and the official launch of the TANAP project.
Mammadyarov touched upon visa liberalization between the EU and Azerbaijan, saying there are ample opportunities for cooperation in this field.
With regard to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Mammadyarov emphasized that such real threats seriously damage cooperation within the Eastern Partnership.
“While Armenia’s foreign minister talks about peace, his country should first of all withdraw its troops from occupied Azerbaijani territories. The continuation of the occupation remains a major threat to regional peace and security,” he said.
Mammadyarov stressed that Baku supports the promotion of ties between the Azerbaijani and Armenian communities of Nagorno-Karabakh.
The foreign minister also referred to the implementation of large-scale projects.
According to Mammadyarov, the work on the Shah Deniz 2 project has been completed by 99 percent, on the South Caucasus pipeline by 100 percent, on TANAP by 94 percent and on TAP by 75 percent.
He went on to announce that the construction of the Greek section of TAP will be completed by November 2018 and the project will be ready in commercial terms by 2020.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 27.06.2018OSCE’s role still needed in conflict resolution: Russian diplomat
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands