Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
“An ethnic cleansing policy was carried out in the occupied Azerbaijani lands, and more than a million of our compatriots became refugees and internally displaced persons in these territories,” President Aliyev said addressing the 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) in Istanbul on Oct. 20, APA reported.
The president also touched upon the Khojaly genocide committed by Armenians in 1992.
“As a result of this genocide, 613 Azerbaijani civilians, including 106 women and 63 children were killed. Thousands of people went missing and wounded,” he added.
President Aliyev recalled that the UN Security Council adopted for resolutions on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“These resolutions require the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian armed forces from Azerbaijani territories,” he said. “At the same time, the Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the OSCE and other organizations adopted similar decisions and resolutions. But the occupying Armenia ignores them and continues to commit military crimes against the Azerbaijani civilians.”
The head of state noted that Azerbaijani civilians and servicemen were killed as a result of Armenia’s armed provocation on the contact line of troops in April last year.
“Hundreds of houses were destroyed. Azerbaijan resolutely prevented this provocation of Armenia, and our army liberated some of our territories from Armenian occupiers. After that, Jojug Marjanli village, which was completely destroyed by Armenia, was rebuilt. A school, a medical center and a mosque were built in this village which consists of 150 houses. This mosque is similar to the Shusha Mosque destroyed by Armenians,” he added.
President Aliyev emphasized that Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan.
The head of state stressed that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved on the basis of the UN Security Council resolutions and within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
“The state and people of Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be established in its ancient lands,” the president said adding that Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity can not be a matter of discussions.
Azerbaijan considers Islamic solidarity particularly important and contributes to it, the president said, recalling that 2017 was declared a “Year of Islamic Solidarity” in Azerbaijan.
“Along with this, this year Azerbaijan hosted the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games that brought together 3,000 athletes from 54 Muslim countries,” he added.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is seriously fighting against Islamophobia, one of the most serious threats in the world today.
“Armenia, which is trying to pretend to be a friend of Muslim countries, destroyed mosques and religious monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding areas,” President Aliyev said stressing that the country that destroys mosques can never be a friend of Muslim states.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 01.02.2018Italian FM comments on expansion of OSCE observation mission in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 01.02.2018OSCE chairman hails Russia’s crucial role in resolving regional conflicts
- 01.02.2018Russia’s Lavrov: OSCE to continue joint work to contribute to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 01.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,800 times in January
- 31.01.2018Russian MFA comments on possible role of Moscow-Ankara-Tehran format in settling Karabakh conflict
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi