Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
“An ethnic cleansing policy was carried out in the occupied Azerbaijani lands, and more than a million of our compatriots became refugees and internally displaced persons in these territories,” President Aliyev said addressing the 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) in Istanbul on Oct. 20, APA reported.
The president also touched upon the Khojaly genocide committed by Armenians in 1992.
“As a result of this genocide, 613 Azerbaijani civilians, including 106 women and 63 children were killed. Thousands of people went missing and wounded,” he added.
President Aliyev recalled that the UN Security Council adopted for resolutions on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“These resolutions require the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian armed forces from Azerbaijani territories,” he said. “At the same time, the Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the OSCE and other organizations adopted similar decisions and resolutions. But the occupying Armenia ignores them and continues to commit military crimes against the Azerbaijani civilians.”
The head of state noted that Azerbaijani civilians and servicemen were killed as a result of Armenia’s armed provocation on the contact line of troops in April last year.
“Hundreds of houses were destroyed. Azerbaijan resolutely prevented this provocation of Armenia, and our army liberated some of our territories from Armenian occupiers. After that, Jojug Marjanli village, which was completely destroyed by Armenia, was rebuilt. A school, a medical center and a mosque were built in this village which consists of 150 houses. This mosque is similar to the Shusha Mosque destroyed by Armenians,” he added.
President Aliyev emphasized that Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan.
The head of state stressed that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved on the basis of the UN Security Council resolutions and within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
“The state and people of Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be established in its ancient lands,” the president said adding that Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity can not be a matter of discussions.
Azerbaijan considers Islamic solidarity particularly important and contributes to it, the president said, recalling that 2017 was declared a “Year of Islamic Solidarity” in Azerbaijan.
“Along with this, this year Azerbaijan hosted the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games that brought together 3,000 athletes from 54 Muslim countries,” he added.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is seriously fighting against Islamophobia, one of the most serious threats in the world today.
“Armenia, which is trying to pretend to be a friend of Muslim countries, destroyed mosques and religious monuments in Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding areas,” President Aliyev said stressing that the country that destroys mosques can never be a friend of Muslim states.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 26.04.2018Moscow hopes for resumption of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 26.04.2018Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenia sends video message to his family
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi